Not acquiring Mayfield proves Hawk mgmt wants to tank...

Hawk4life

Reaction score
Geno continues to impress. I'd be all in except I'd like to see more points on the board. It might be getting a bit rough without a dependable back.

I was going to ask why they would want Baker but noticed this is an old thread. Baker looks washed up and done.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Geno continues to impress. I'd be all in except I'd like to see more points on the board. It might be getting a bit rough without a dependable back.

I was going to ask why they would want Baker but noticed this is an old thread. Baker looks washed up and done.
they are the 5th highest scoring team in the NFL. I would like more points too, but let's be realistic.

and Soulfsh was bordering on negative in this thread. Crazy

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I was the OP and obviously was wayyyy off on Baker but NOBODY outside of a few people thought Geno would play anywhere near what he has shown this year. I have to believe that even Pete and the rest of management are surprised on how well he’s done. Frankly, I can’t think of anyone else in any sport that I have watched that has gone from literally being a bad player to being this good. Kurt Warner comes to mind, however he, in my opinion was never even given the opportunity to be bad as he did not get a shot before going to the Rams.
To be honest, you're being as dismissive now as you were in the opening post. WHY do you believe Pete etc. are surprised by Geno's performance? They have been consistent all along, since the time you made your opening post, that this is what they were seeing in Geno. YOU are surprised, Keasley45 isn't.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Keeping it simple:

To acquire Mayfield all the Panthers gave up was:

Conditional 5th round pick
$5 million

He’d be on a 1 year prove it deal and he’s 1000% better than Geno Smith.

We could have had him for virtually nothing. Management is tanking this year, no questions asked.
You have got to be kidding. Wow. Mayfield is way too inconsistent. Also, he's not real popular in the locker room. Not sure why anyone would be hating on Geno. He's doing great IMO. I can think of at least ten teams that would love to have him. Hold your water amigo, we have an excellent upcoming draft and will be well positioned to get a young QB. In the meantime Geno's da man!

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
You have got to be kidding. Wow. Mayfield is way too inconsistent. Also, he's not real popular in the locker room. Not sure why anyone would be hating on Geno. He's doing great IMO. I can think of at least ten teams that would love to have him. Hold your water amigo, we have an excellent upcoming draft and will be well positioned to get a young QB. In the meantime Geno's da man!
Hey dude, this thread was from August.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
To be honest, you're being as dismissive now as you were in the opening post. WHY do you believe Pete etc. are surprised by Geno's performance? They have been consistent all along, since the time you made your opening post, that this is what they were seeing in Geno. YOU are surprised, Keasley45 isn't.
I have this same question. Pete was steadfast about Geno. I think the competition between him and Lock was real and Pete/coaches thought Geno had a better grasp and ability to lead the team. He see's Geno every day for multiple years and more than likely saw this in his evaluation. Just my $.02.

Now, was I off. Yep...a lot!

Rainger

Reaction score
Keeping it simple:

To acquire Mayfield all the Panthers gave up was:

Conditional 5th round pick
$5 million

He’d be on a 1 year prove it deal and he’s 1000% better than Geno Smith.

We could have had him for virtually nothing. Management is tanking this year, no questions asked.
This thread title and post hasn't aged well.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I was the OP and obviously was wayyyy off on Baker but NOBODY outside of a few people thought Geno would play anywhere near what he has shown this year. I have to believe that even Pete and the rest of management are surprised on how well he’s done. Frankly, I can’t think of anyone else in any sport that I have watched that has gone from literally being a bad player to being this good. Kurt Warner comes to mind, however he, in my opinion was never even given the opportunity to be bad as he did not get a shot before going to the Rams.
It’s not about whether Pete thought Geno would be this good, it’s about knowing that Pete would never ever ever tank a season. He doesn’t have anything like that in him. As Mark Sanchez said during the game on Sunday, Pete is always in relentless pursuit of a competitive edge.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
It’s not about whether Pete thought Geno would be this good, it’s about knowing that Pete would never ever ever tank a season. He doesn’t have anything like that in him. As Mark Sanchez said during the game on Sunday, Pete is always in relentless pursuit of a competitive edge.
The way I saw it, it was about putting the best quarterback on the field that they could. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that showed Geno was better than Mayfield going into this year based on their past performances. That is why I made the statement about tanking.

If anyone in this board can point to a time in Gino’s career, prior to this year, that he showed he was a better quarterback than Mayfield. I’d like to see it. As I stated earlier, I have never seen a quarterback do what he has done in going from being the butt of jokes to becoming a solid QB. The only thing I am everyone to is how he practices. There and only there could Pete believe he can run this offense as again Geno had never, including several games last year, shown he was a capable quarterback in the league.

BASF

Reaction score
The way I saw it, it was about putting the best quarterback on the field that they could. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that showed Geno was better than Mayfield going into this year based on their past performances. That is why I made the statement about tanking.

If anyone in this board can point to a time in Gino’s career, prior to this year, that he showed he was a better quarterback than Mayfield. I’d like to see it. As I stated earlier, I have never seen a quarterback do what he has done in going from being the butt of jokes to becoming a solid QB. The only thing I am everyone to is how he practices. There and only there could Pete believe he can run this offense as again Geno had never, including several games last year, shown he was a capable quarterback in the league.
I suppose that leading a ninety-eight yard touchdown drive while going six of seven passing with a touchdown against the eventual world champions escaped your attention.

Last edited:

balakoth

Reaction score
To be fair its hard to be consistent this year when you dont get played... because your coach is a muppet

Baker is still better than both of those QBs... what a buncha dipshits and now the Rams have him and will beat us

Rainger

Reaction score
To be fair its hard to be consistent this year when you dont get played... because your coach is a muppet

Baker is still better than both of those QBs... what a buncha dipshits and now the Rams have him and will beat us
Omg do you actually believe this?? Baker is better than how Geno is playing?? Not saying Rams might not win the next game, but it will be because of McVeay NOT Baker Mayfield

Lagartixa

Reaction score
And now........he's a Ram

That would normally be great news for the Seahawks, but this year, the Rams are among the few teams that could be so bad that they could push the Broncos pick to later in the draft. The Rams don't get that pick - it belongs to the Lions - but I'm really hoping for the Broncos to suck more than the Rams, so the Broncos' picks in the first two rounds of the 2023 draft, which belong to the Seahawks, are better than the Rams'. And Mayfield sucks so much that he could "help" the Rams suck more than the Broncos.

willyrobt

Reaction score
The Browns players did not want Mayfield. The only people who want Mayfield are the people who do not understand that he is not a leader players will follow. That is from the people who played with him.
I agree, he hasn't impressed anyone this year. He has an attitude that wears thin very quickly. Don't need that here. We have a good starter with a good backup.