Not as bad as it looks...

W

Welshers

This game was bad, no doubt. But it wasn't the "we're exposed as frauds" that people are making it out to be. Remember we had FOUR turnovers. Including one in the end zone. If we had scored a TD there instead of the pick when down 14-0 it would have been different. We also had the sack when down 7 at the end of the game that would have got us the ball back... but the penalty gave em a 1st and eventually another TD. Russ took a clobbering. The line was bad today. I think the hits he took definitely factored into his play. If we string some wins together MVP is still on the table. Just get in the playoffs and anything can happen. Total wildcards have won it all before.

The D can still improve. The sacks were a positive and Adams looked good aside from the penalty. Dunlap had a good day. This isn't the end of the world. We are still going to be tied for 1st in the NFC at the end of the day. Everyone has bad losses so did the Chiefs last year and they won it all. I'm happy to be 6-2 and have just extended Pete. Everyone calm down.

GO HAWKS

hawk45

Reaction score
We had our worst defensive performance after adding Dunlap and Adams.

This defense cannot improve meaningfully IMO. I’m getting a Tom Cable vibe here where nice players like Adams and Dunlap get added and it’s a drop in the ocean.

Like with cable, the defense seems worse than the sum of its parts. We have nothing but Dunlap on DL and that means we won’t be good, but it seems like we should be better than a junior college D.

ducks41468

Reaction score
We actually only gave up 420 yards because of the turnovers. If Russ plays well we likely give up close to 600. Silver lining

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
I don't think the problem is talent, not entirely, I think it's also just scheme and who's coaching. A Defense have pieces like Wagner, Adams, Dunlap, and Reed and mix in some decent roleplayers like Diggs, Wright, and Griffon should be solid talent for many times but if the scheme is terrible or your coach is hopeless then you're not going to get anything.

Can't win on talent alone.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The problem is not the players or the injuries.

The problem is we have a DC that is not smart enough and does not have the brainpower to hold the position.

Throughout NFL history there have been some terrible teams. There have been some terrible coaches.

It takes much to literally be the worst DC in NFL history. But Norton is closing on that achievement.

There have absolutely been worse rosters (including rosters with injuries) in NFL history. To somehow imply that our roster is responsible for this misses the boat. You need to be a special type of terrible to get near historically bad numbers.

Our roster is not historically terrible.

Our results are.

That leaves one culprit and it is not the players.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Seemed pretty bad. There were certainly some good things that happened in this game, but that doesn't really cancel out the bad. Turnovers, pressure, knockdowns, sacks. Josh Allen tore our secondary apart. This team is a glass cannon, designed to win shootouts and not really come from behind. Our defense isn't reliable enough to do so.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1qk0zdg0 said:
The problem is not the players or the injuries.

The problem is we have a DC that is not smart enough and does not have the brainpower to hold the position.

Throughout NFL history there have been some terrible teams. There have been some terrible coaches.

It takes much to literally be the worst DC in NFL history. But Norton is closing on that achievement.

There have absolutely been worse rosters (including rosters with injuries) in NFL history. To somehow imply that our roster is responsible for this misses the boat. You need to be a special type of terrible to get near historically bad numbers.

Our roster is not historically terrible.

Our results are.

That leaves one culprit and it is not the players.
Agreed.

The roster is good enough it's just the coach and scheme is terrible. If Seattle had any of the even average D-Coordinators currently working in the league right now then this team would be performing leagues better. Norton is just not clever enough or capable enough for this job.

TreeRon

Reaction score
I don't believe it's necessary to get personal re: Norton and attack his intellectual capacity. IMO, he's simply not a good D C. It's the Peter Principle. He may have decent as LB coach but he stunk as DC at Oakland and he stinks here.
We will NEVER get to the SB with him a DC.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
They let them score two touchdowns right from the start.

They only got two stops.

The Bills only scored 16 of their points off of turnovers. The other 28 points they gave up are too much.

TypeSly

Reaction score
:)
bmorepunk":3pn0c41f said:

They only got two stops.

The Bills only scored 16 of their points off of turnovers. The other 28 points they gave up are too much.

7 sacks in a game, and only 2 stops lol. Have you ever heard of such a thing? This is becoming laughable. 2nd and 27, Bills receiver is open by 10 yards. 3rd and 15, two receivers are wide open, after Josh Allen has 5 seconds to choose which WR to throw to. It's just pathetic.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Tree,

How is it personal?

If you are not intellectually capable of being a DC, you WILL struggle. That is a position that demands intelligence and ability. Ken has been around great defenses for years. He must have absorbed the subject matter by now.

It isn't personal to acknowledge he may not be capable because he may not be smart enough.

I don't think he is. He is clearly struggling. Clearly trying. Just not capable.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
I think his man-bun is too tight. Maybe we should give Norton a trophy and pat him on the head while gently asking to try harder.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Do you know his IQ? Do you know his grades at UCLA? Do you know his SAT score? How about any other kind of objective measurement?
A teacher once told me that while Albert Einstein was great at math but he may have crap at writing poetry. If he was bad at poetry would that make him intellectually deficient?

Polk738

Reaction score
TypeSly":1ztfmdi9 said:
:)
bmorepunk":1ztfmdi9 said:

They only got two stops.

7 sacks in a game, and only 2 stops lol. Have you ever heard of such a thing? This is becoming laughable. 2nd and 27, Bills receiver is open by 10 yards. 3rd and 15, two receivers are wide open, after Josh Allen has 5 seconds to choose which WR to throw to. It's just pathetic.

This is why I think it is a serious communication issue within the secondary, which would make sense given all the injuries back there, these guys have had practically no training camp or pre-season and it feels like new guys are getting rotated in constantly- we've seen there is enough talent on the defense but its worthless with bad schemes an communication

TreeRon

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":1dstt4ji said:
I think his man-bun is too tight. Maybe we should give Norton a trophy and pat him on the head while gently asking to try harder.

Seriously, he has a man bun? I might have to reevaluate ! :D

OP
OP
W

Welshers

TwistedHusky":31nl2291 said:
Tree,

How is it personal?

If you are not intellectually capable of being a DC, you WILL struggle. That is a position that demands intelligence and ability. Ken has been around great defenses for years. He must have absorbed the subject matter by now.

It isn't personal to acknowledge he may not be capable because he may not be smart enough.

I don't think he is. He is clearly struggling. Clearly trying. Just not capable.
I'm sure you can be a bad football coach and still be smart. I wouldn't call him stupjd

LTH

Reaction score
Welshers":2ieyx8zj said:
This game was bad, no doubt. But it wasn't the "we're exposed as frauds" that people are making it out to be. Remember we had FOUR turnovers. Including one in the end zone. If we had scored a TD there instead of the pick when down 14-0 it would have been different. We also had the sack when down 7 at the end of the game that would have got us the ball back... but the penalty gave em a 1st and eventually another TD. Russ took a clobbering. The line was bad today. I think the hits he took definitely factored into his play. If we string some wins together MVP is still on the table. Just get in the playoffs and anything can happen. Total wildcards have won it all before.

The D can still improve. The sacks were a positive and Adams looked good aside from the penalty. Dunlap had a good day. This isn't the end of the world. We are still going to be tied for 1st in the NFC at the end of the day. Everyone has bad losses so did the Chiefs last year and they won it all. I'm happy to be 6-2 and have just extended Pete. Everyone calm down.

GO HAWKS

I agree the pass rush was much better the reason they got torched was because Dunbar was playing hurt and the bills took advantage of that... They are getting killed with injuries still the starting D has only played 1 game together and they are half way through the season...

if they can't stay healthy we might be in trouble... Time for JS to pull a miracle corner out of his bag...

Most thinks this D is horrible I say its just circumstances and yeah I know injuries are not an excuse but its just a reality at least Flowers is playing better...

LTH

Rat

Reaction score
The only reason we weren't "exposed" against the Bills, is because that happened like two months ago. Either we are going to win a shootout, or we're not going to win at all. Schneider and Carroll have a big job ahead of them in the offseason. Jamal Adams is really, really damn good, but he's only one starter out of 11.