Not picking up Irvin's 5th year option???

jake206

Reaction score
Another question to ask is how much are they saving by trading Irvin? If its a significant amount of money, can that money be used to work on a deal to extend B.Wagz or Wilson this year??

McGruff

Reaction score
jake206":w3cxd03c said:
Another question to ask is how much are they saving by trading Irvin? If its a significant amount of money, can that money be used to work on a deal to extend B.Wagz or Wilson this year??

Not much. His salary is only $1.6 million.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2bebhiz0 said:
Popeyejones":2bebhiz0 said:
FlyHawksFly":2bebhiz0 said:
It has already been shown that ATL could exercise the 5th year option

I know there was a conflicting article from today, but upthread I posted two articles from two separate sources saying that the fifth year option is reserved for the drafting team and is cancelled if the player is cut or traded (which, I mean, c'mon, also makes sense).

On top of multiple reporters saying it's not allowed, I think we can also add on that if it was allowed we'd have seen someone do it before (more likely is that those sources are right and nobody has done it before because you're not allowed to do it).

I'll happily apologize if proven wrong about this, but save for a single reporter today everything else points in the opposite direction for this.

Actually, neither one of your articles state why they believe the 5th year doesn't apply, or at least a source for that belief. I see no reason why the option wouldn't transfer with the trade, as it is part of the original contract. The examples in both links have all either been cut or retired. The only trade was Richardson and he was subsequently cut by the Colts. If the Colts didn't cut him, could they have opted for the 5th year? Neither one of your links provided that information.

As for why we may not have seen it before, this is only the second round of 5th year options, I think teams are still trying to figure out how to best take advantage of it. As of right now, it seems like the best option is opting for the 5th year as the teams aren't on the hook financially at this point.

Either way, none of this would preclude ATL trading for him, as they would be able to work out a new contract with Irvin if he was willing.

Both of them SPECIFICALLY state that there is no fifth year option option because the player was traded.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":gsxdpfqm said:
I hate this. It's quite obvious the trade for Irvin was initiated by the Falcons.

So, Seahawks have leverage in the situation on the asking price.

If Irvin isn't in the future plans, I think that #42 isn't out of question.

On worst defenses, Irvin can be an impact player and I think he's ready to take on that LEO role better than his first year.

If for instance the Falcons wanted to take Danny Shelton and pass over the elite pass rushers that now have question marks. Irvin would be a better LEO/LB and more so ready now than any of the prospects they could get at #42.

Could the Seahawks get that #8 pick?

I think it's possible but would be extremely difficult.

I think a nice package of players and some picks.

SEA gets #8 + CB Robert Alford. ATL gets Irvin, Mebane, Michael, and Burley + swapping Sea 2nd and 3rd for ATLs 3rd and 4th, 2015 4th round pick plus a 2016 3rd and 5th round picks which would replenish with next year comps for Maxwell and Carp.

ATL could sign Irvin and Mebane to long term deals and they would be key veteran additions to help Quinn transition to his Defense. Michael has potential to be a stud RB, let him compete with a greater opportunity to get snaps and it could be a jump-start for him. Mebane is already an elite DT, Irvin is a quality starter with potential to be elite, and Michael has elite athleticism and the potential to be a quality starter if not an elite change of pace back.

Alford is small 5'10 weighing in between 185-195. But he has great athleticism, speed (4.38 FYD), hops (40in Vert), and most importantly possesses the necessary wingspan Carroll covets (32 in arm length + 9.5 in hands). I think he could be a Walter Thurmond mold CB. A potentially elite slot corner who has the experience of playing outside if needed.

With the trade Seahawks save about 7.5m this year.

With the #8 pick, you can do some things. Maybe you trade for the Vikings #11 and Cordelle Patterson, If they covet one of the top WRs.

Seahawks could trade down again with the Chiefs #18, if they also covet one of the top WRs for 2015 and 2016 3rd Rounders.

At #18 maybe you can coax a Dallas at #27 team to give up a 2016 2nd-3rd round pick and 2015 3rd round pick.

Seahawks can trade down again from #27 If they don't like the board to 40-50 range grab another pick.

I don't know but it could work out.

They're not getting the 8th overall.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":11g8gkam said:
Pandion Haliaetus":11g8gkam said:
I hate this. It's quite obvious the trade for Irvin was initiated by the Falcons.

On worst defenses, Irvin can be an impact player and I think he's ready to take on that LEO role better than his first year.

If for instance the Falcons wanted to take Danny Shelton and pass over the elite pass rushers that now have question marks. Irvin would be a better LEO/LB and more so ready now than any of the prospects they could get at #42.

SEA gets #8 + CB Robert Alford. ATL gets Irvin, Mebane, Michael, and Burley + swapping Sea 2nd and 3rd for ATLs 3rd and 4th, 2015 4th round pick plus a 2016 3rd and 5th round picks which would replenish with next year comps for Maxwell and Carp.

ATL could sign Irvin and Mebane to long term deals and they would be key veteran additions to help Quinn transition to his Defense. Michael has potential to be a stud RB, let him compete with a greater opportunity to get snaps and it could be a jump-start for him. Mebane is already an elite DT, Irvin is a quality starter with potential to be elite, and Michael has elite athleticism and the potential to be a quality starter if not an elite change of pace back.

Alford is small 5'10 weighing in between 185-195. But he has great athleticism, speed (4.38 FYD), hops (40in Vert), and most importantly possesses the necessary wingspan Carroll covets (32 in arm length + 9.5 in hands). I think he could be a Walter Thurmond mold CB. A potentially elite slot corner who has the experience of playing outside if needed.

With the #8 pick, you can do some things. Maybe you trade for the Vikings #11 and Cordelle Patterson, If they covet one of the top WRs.

Seahawks could trade down again with the Chiefs #18, if they also covet one of the top WRs for 2015 and 2016 3rd Rounders.

At #18 maybe you can coax a Dallas at #27 team to give up a 2016 2nd-3rd round pick and 2015 3rd round pick.

Seahawks can trade down again from #27 If they don't like the board to 40-50 range grab another pick.

They're not getting the 8th overall.

But, Pandion ran it through Madden franchise mode and it worked!

Mojambo

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2rwp4acp said:

Are you enjoying this year's edition of Madden? I see the trade logic still sucks.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Mojambo":14l2bwgl said:
Pandion Haliaetus":14l2bwgl said:

Are you enjoying this year's edition of Madden? I see the trade logic still sucks.

Madden sucks. They need to bring back NFL 2K.

Tical21

Reaction score
What?? We got from getting a 4th or 5th rounder to trading half our defense for the #8 pick? I know you puff the ganj, but this is on another level dude. How in the, why the, oh, nevermind.

original poster

Reaction score
dopeboy206":16145eer said:
Mojambo":16145eer said:
Pandion Haliaetus":16145eer said:

Madden sucks. They need to bring back NFL 2K.

Have you read the rumours about it coming back?

God I hope so.

As you were...

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
man Bruce is gonna be so pissed. Many of the guys from that class that are getting their options picked up are not as good as he is. He's going to take it as a slap in the face

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Rocket":pz047bxf said:
It's business...
duh

3rd, straight swap, ATL

ATL just drafted an OLB in the first. Why would they trade for Irvin.

massari

Reaction score
Muhammad Wilkerson could be trade bait for the Jets now that they drafted Williams. Jets are apparently looking to add an OLB. Maybe a Irvin for Wilkerson swap could happen if the Hawks want to cut Mebane+McDaniel?

They could be better off getting a 3rd round pick for Irvin given Wilkerson's cap hit though.

Rocket

Reaction score
Why ATL? They need two, their pass rush sucks balls.
Tomorrow. Trade. Wait for it.
( Positive mental attitude )

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rocket":1f5adixa said:
It's business...
duh

3rd, straight swap, ATL

Why would the Hawks trade a proven starter who's only making 1.5M next year that plays a position they're already thin at for a 3rd rounder?

All the nonsense of hearing all the talking heads for three straight months talking about "inside sources say this" team's trading up, down, left, right leading up to yesterday.............and what'd we see, two minor trades?

Yes, Irvin is pissed and he'd probably LOVE being traded to Quinn and the Falcons, but that's about as far as this goes for me. Makes zero sense for us.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1sbbt8k0 said:
Rocket":1sbbt8k0 said:
It's business...
duh

3rd, straight swap, ATL

Why would the Hawks trade a proven starter who's only making 1.5M next year that plays a position they're already thin at for a 3rd rounder?

All the nonsense of hearing all the talking heads for three straight months talking about "inside sources say this" team's trading up, down, left, right leading up to yesterday.............and what'd we see, two minor trades?

Yes, Irvin is pissed and he'd probably LOVE being traded to Quinn and the Falcons, but that's about as far as this goes for me. Makes zero sense for us.

On top of that you would lose the 4th or 5th comp pick you're looking at if Irvin signs for the type of money he's looking for. So you could look at it as Irvin and a 4th for a 3rd this year... No thanks.

Latest posts