Not picking up Irvin's 5th year option???

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1s2rl9yl said:
Re: Irvin's Draft night comments on ESPN's broadcasters.......

.....and to think that he went to college.

Twitter isn't the place for fleshed out dissertations.

People constantly make the mistake of thinking that if someone uses slang, shorthand, etc., in an environment that is character-limited by design, it makes them stupid, uneducated, etc.

People speak differently around their friends than they do with their company's CEO. You'd send a text to your spouse using different language than you'd use while penning a letter to the President (at least in theory). Audience and format matter when we choose the tone of what we say and write.

I'm not suggesting that Irvin's going to take a position with SpaceX when his playing career is done... just that we should stop judging people on how they communicate via social media.

massari

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":13s5znh2 said:
Rocket":13s5znh2 said:
It's business...
duh

3rd, straight swap, ATL

Why would the Hawks trade a proven starter who's only making 1.5M next year that plays a position they're already thin at for a 3rd rounder?

All the nonsense of hearing all the talking heads for three straight months talking about "inside sources say this" team's trading up, down, left, right leading up to yesterday.............and what'd we see, two minor trades?

Yes, Irvin is pissed and he'd probably LOVE being traded to Quinn and the Falcons, but that's about as far as this goes for me. Makes zero sense for us.

If there's a player that's still on the board in the 3rd like Frank Clark, Michael Bennett, Coates, Conley, Ajayi, Grasu, Edwards JR, Marpet, Flowers ect ect I think losing Irvin for this year might be worth a straight up swap for one of those types.

Also I'm not sure why but read somewhere that Irvin's would-be comp pick for losing him next offseason wouldn't be until 2017. Not sure if that's right or not but waiting two years for that pick kinda devalues it a little.

Throwdown

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2i3m7icq said:
Bigpumpkin":2i3m7icq said:
Re: Irvin's Draft night comments on ESPN's broadcasters.......

.....and to think that he went to college.

Twitter isn't the place for fleshed out dissertations.

People constantly make the mistake of thinking that if someone uses slang, shorthand, etc., in an environment that is character-limited by design, it makes them stupid, uneducated, etc.

People speak differently around their friends than they do with their company's CEO. You'd send a text to your spouse using different language than you'd use while penning a letter to the President (at least in theory). Audience and format matter when we choose the tone of what we say and write.

I'm not suggesting that Irvin's going to take a position with SpaceX when his playing career is done... just that we should stop judging people on how they communicate via social media.

He called Ross tucker a hoe... lol he went off last night I loved it

massari

Reaction score
Alright guys, do they trade Irvin to the Jets for #82 and pick Coates?

Edit: Jets just picked an OLB instead.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Not picking up his option means one of several things. They could trade him (although Pete has said they are not going to do that). They could let him play out his contract with the thinking that they will let the market set his price, hoping he won't get as much as the option year, or they could just sign him to an extension at some point over the course of the off season or before free agency next off sesason. A long term deal could likely set his cap number lower than the actual option number for next year. Of course the final option is they have a plan to fill that spot in other ways. We can speculate all day long (which can be interesting) but in the long run, there is a plan in place, and so far I have no reason not to believe it'll be a good one.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Seattle Seahawks linebacker Bruce Irvin took to Twitter Sunday, apparently ranting about how the team would not pick up the 2016 option on his contract.

The move means the 2012 first-round draft pick will be a free agent after this season if Seattle doesn't sign him to an extension.

"Worked for everything I got in my life this (expletive) will b no different! I earns my keeps!" Irvin tweeted Sunday night.

"Faced way tougher adversity getting outta them streets coming up! That's (expletive) is nothing! (Expletive) THAT OPTION!" he continued. "I am a Seahawk! #12thman"

"Im a very blunt person and that won't ever change sorry if u dislike it," Irvin added.

http://www.king5.com/story/sports/nfl/s ... /26864393/

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Blitzer88":34k6u9l3 said:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12817028/bruce-irvin-seattle-seahawks-rants-twitter-team-declines-option

Although Danny O'Neil, who is pretty close to Bruce, went to twitter to dispel this idea. No idea what to think about it.

This is really considered ranting on twitter? I don't get this at all. He wasn't ranting.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
For some context, Whitney Mercilus, who did not get his option picked up either, just signed a 4 year 26 million dollar contract extension with Houston.