O-line PFF player grades for week 2

RussB

Reaction score
massari":2zbrtshw said:
Wonder how much longer they'll stick with Odhiambo and Glowinski?

Joe Thomas and John Greco (workout) please.
Graham and lane for thomas.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Fudwamper":aw4utep8 said:
HawkGA":aw4utep8 said:
Something I just noticed on the touchdown pass, another 9er does a better job of blocking the DT than Glow does.

Wasn't it Glows guy that actually blocked Odiambo's man? It was a hell of a block. It kept russ from being sacked. I hope someone can gif that block.

Yep Just re watched the highlight on ESPN, Glow wiffs big time, Odiambo gets beat around the corner, Russ dodges Glow's man causing him to block the guy behind him. :34853_doh:

Just like how Cable planned it. :2thumbs:

Anajimmc

Reaction score
I'm forever the optimist. Per PFF there was improvement from week 1 to 2. The strength (cough cough) of the 49ers is their front 7. When the O had to close out the game, and everyone knew they were going to run, we ran, and won. Maybe there's a glimmer of hope that they're starting to come together as a unit.

Hawks46

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":m9moq3kc said:
I want to know if Seattle is just missing alot in the draft or if the guys we draft don't fit what Cable is trying to do, which apparently is nothing.

That being said we were better overall this week, so hopefully we just continue to improve.

I like to see improvement. It somewhat jives with what the coaches are saying (which i rarely believe when it comes to the OL).

As for what Cable is looking for, it is obvious: run blocking. He cares very little about pass protection and hasn't for about 20 years. The problem is that passing has become much more essential than it was 20 years ago, and he just can't change up.

So when Cable gets a guy that is supposedly good at run blocking, and he struggles at first, the guy is a hot mess because he was never good at pass pro to begin with.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Tom Cable said yesterday after the game that Ethan Pocic (our second round pick that is supposed super versatile) is not in the game because HE'S THE ONLY BACKUP CENTER ON THE ROSTER AND WE HAVE NO OTHER OPTIONS IF BRITT GOES DOWN WITH INJURY!!!!

He actually said that was the reason. Not kidding. 100 percent truth.

So am I (or anybody on this forum) really that much smarter than the entire coaching staff? Isn't it reasonable to think that Pocic could go ahead and play ANY other position on the offensive line if he's outperforming who is currently there, and THEN move back to center in the event that Britt goes down? What in the hell is happening right now???!?!? I feel like I'm in crazy world.

Seymour

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2tqd2hna said:
Tom Cable said yesterday after the game that Ethan Pocic (our second round pick that is supposed super versatile) is not in the game because HE'S THE ONLY BACKUP CENTER ON THE ROSTER AND WE HAVE NO OTHER OPTIONS IF BRITT GOES DOWN WITH INJURY!!!!

So am I (or anybody on this forum) really that much smarter than the entire coaching staff? Isn't it reasonable to think that Pocic could go ahead and play ANY other position on the offensive line if he's outperforming who is currently there, and THEN move back to center in the event that Britt goes down? What in the hell is happening right now???!?!? I feel like I'm in crazy world.

We knew this as dumb as it may sound....it's Cable logic.

Move Hunt up from the PS and get Pocic in there dumb ass!!!

classicaaron

Reaction score
I obviously knew the line was bad. but then when seeing those numbers in black and white it makes it even worse to me. god I hate this offense.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
davidonmi":1qc5pq23 said:
All the improvement I'm seeing is from dreck to terrible.
Sans britt of course

Yep, and until last year the whole board here thought Britt was yet another wasted pick. He became a Pro Bowl player last season.

We need to hold our noses and be patient, there were signs of improvement during the game. Ifedi is looking as if he is beginning to develop confidence, still undrwhelmed by the other 3.

drrew

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1xltf3k9 said:
Glowinski is awful. Period.

This is my biggest disappointment. The entire point of Glow is supposed to be that he's low upside but high floor.

Unfortunately that floor now appears to be 8th or 9th OL on the roster.

hawk45

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3nf33lgy said:

You know...I've wondered about their approach to versatility approach leading to guys who are meh at multiple positions but good at none. Then we finally draft a guy who looks to my eyes (I'm not a Seahawk OL coach but then again that may make me more qualified) like he would actually contribute wherever they put him, and they pigeonhole him at center, the one position we have by dumb luck figured out.

I'm bone-tired of whipping Cable so truthfully I hope Cable was just blowing smoke or something and he has a better reason. But when I see Glowinski out there it almost feels like it must be some dumb reason like this not to try Pocic. I have a hard time believing the OL coach who has no problems rolling with Nowak, Gilliam, and Fant is suddenly shy about playing a rookie.

I do understand giving it a few games to see what you've got there. If Pocic is in by week 3 or 4 I will consider it a monumental improvement in Cable's ability to adjust based on what he's seeing on the field.