PFF pass block grades week 1 for Seahawks

Tinymac2

Reaction score
I'm just curious. The more I look at the pre snap player position of that video, the more I wonder. With 3 OL on a DT, V Miller, and a safety to the right side, why wouldn't you audible into a running play, riight guard/tackle when you only need 3 yards?

What am I missing?

Jville

Reaction score
It's highly likely that the coaches have a better idea of a player's responsibility and effectiveness on each play than fans or media or PFF do.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Russ went the wrong way. If he steps into the gap, he has a chance to make it or dump the ball to Carson. He could have been chased from behind by Von Miller ... still, 3 yards? he should get it.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":pwbuk4b5 said:
Shanegotyou11":pwbuk4b5 said:
I dont get the questions aimed at me. I posted what PFF let out about pass grades.

3 of the 6 sacks were on Russ. Idk on other 3. But Ethan was the worst one once again and he wasnt going vs Von.

You have to say ALL the sacks were on Russ, or you’re being a Russell homer.

Basically, you should approach it like this:

“Hey Russ, you bail from the pocket too often. So stay in the pocket and go through your progressions. You’re making your O-line look bad, even though your O-line is struggling in basic protection. Oh and make sure you take off and run within 2 seconds if Ifedi and Brown get beat. I know I just said to stay in the pocket, but I also want you to run too. At the perfect time. Otherwise you suck as a Quarterback and I’m going to nitpick at your failures.

Okay Russ, so let’s review. Stop bailing from the pocket, but bail from the pocket and run because your O-line struggles. Who cares how many Qb hits you take? Step up into the pocket to the right when Von Miller, Khalil Mack, or Demarcus Lawrence is coming from your right and abusing Ifedi. Contradicting I know but, you’ll figure it out. Execute this perfectly, every time or you’re failing as a QB. Go Hawks!”
Could this be any more full of strawman false-dichotomy bullshit?

Have an actual look at the plays. See the open receivers? He should hit those. That's why we're blaming some of the sacks on Wilson - he didn't throw the ball even though he had open receivers to throw to. Whatever the problem was, the resulting sack is on Wilson for not throwing to the open receivers.

The offensive line metric is to hold a block for 2.5 seconds. Anything beyond that is not their fault. If there are no open receivers at that time, then the fault is on the receivers for not getting open, or the play design for taking too long to develop. But if there are open receivers, and the OL did their 2.5 seconds, then I'm sorry, but that's on the QB.