Obi Melifonfu - please come to Seattle

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
The secondary is one spot on the field where I've learned to put full trust into Pete and John's process with the draft. None of us had heard of Sherman before he was drafted, and considering he went in the fifth round I'm sure there was just as much bad tape of him as there is of Obi. Surely similar stories with Kam, Maxwell, (Browner was a CFL guy for goodness sake and was an above average corner in Seattle for 2+ years). So if we decide to go with Obi then Schneider has his reasons and I'll be on board with it. Would I prefer to get him in the second as opposed to the first, well DUH!!! But even if they go with him in the first, I'll take it. We need to start planning on a rebuild for that defense as it ages a little bit. (Kam's injury history, I think this is the third offseason in a row where he's had surgery, should start to cause some concern at some point).

pcbball12

Reaction score
titan3131":o2iovhxz said:
Jared stanger is the arch nemisis of our favorite english seahawk fan rob stanton. I assume the stark contrast of opinion is his way of protesting his ability vs robs. We shall see who wins.
I don't necessarily think that is the case. Jared is very good, and puts a lot into the draft process. But, his problem is that he thinks he is perfect and his ish don't stink. He forms a quick opinion of a player and will not come off of it. He throws a ton of stuff against the wall hoping it sticks, and will later recall and retweet his old tweets to show he was right (of course you are going to be right a lot when you comment on literally every player at one point or another). He will never admit when he is wrong and if anyone tries to challenge him he will block them.

His thing with Obi is IMO...he watched a game or two and did not like him. Instantly wrote him off and didn't look at all of the tape he could have. He will stick by that until the end....unless Seattle drafts him he will find a way to spin his negativity toward Obi as a positivity.

My opinion on Obi is this. He is an athletic freak, that is obvious from the testing. His tape is inconsistent. He has games where he doesn't tackle well, looks lost in coverage. And then I throw on the Virginia game and he pops all over the screen. Hitting guys on seam routes, coming up making plays in the run game, manning up in the slot and winning. So, the potential to what he can be has been shown on tape from him. It is just inconsistent right now.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
pcbball12":3r8s16kc said:
titan3131":3r8s16kc said:
Jared stanger is the arch nemisis of our favorite english seahawk fan rob stanton. I assume the stark contrast of opinion is his way of protesting his ability vs robs. We shall see who wins.
I don't necessarily think that is the case. Jared is very good, and puts a lot into the draft process. But, his problem is that he thinks he is perfect and his ish don't stink. He forms a quick opinion of a player and will not come off of it. He throws a ton of stuff against the wall hoping it sticks, and will later recall and retweet his old tweets to show he was right (of course you are going to be right a lot when you comment on literally every player at one point or another). He will never admit when he is wrong and if anyone tries to challenge him he will block them.

His thing with Obi is IMO...he watched a game or two and did not like him. Instantly wrote him off and didn't look at all of the tape he could have. He will stick by that until the end....unless Seattle drafts him he will find a way to spin his negativity toward Obi as a positivity.

My opinion on Obi is this. He is an athletic freak, that is obvious from the testing. His tape is inconsistent. He has games where he doesn't tackle well, looks lost in coverage. And then I throw on the Virginia game and he pops all over the screen. Hitting guys on seam routes, coming up making plays in the run game, manning up in the slot and winning. So, the potential to what he can be has been shown on tape from him. It is just inconsistent right now.
Agreed.

The kid seems raw.

My knock on him is he isn't a "playmaker."

Give me Budda Baker!

Budda Baker is a future star! Alway around the ball!

Baker is a flat out "baller!"

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
pcbball12":2tsc4hbt said:

It's very important to recognize that these players aren't even close to what they will be in the pros. You want to see guys who can flash dominance.

Nobody is getting a finished product in this draft. Obi has done enough to warrant R1 consideration. I can't think of a better crucible for development in this league that this Seahawks team right now. Clearly Obi fits what we've done in the past.

Athletically speaking, Obi could very easily be the best DB in this entire draft if we looked at it three years from now.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":28qzkndt said:
pcbball12":28qzkndt said:

It's very important to recognize that these players aren't even close to what they will be in the pros. You want to see guys who can flash dominance.

Nobody is getting a finished product in this draft. Obi has done enough to warrant R1 consideration. I can't think of a better crucible for development in this league that this Seahawks team right now. Clearly Obi fits what we've done in the past.

Athletically speaking, Obi could very easily be the best DB in this entire draft if we looked at it three years from now.
I totally agree he warrants Rd 1 consideration. He is a generational athlete, that flashes enough on tape for you to see the type of player he could become. I just find it funny how stubborn Jared Stanger can be when it comes to prospects. Finds a thing or two a player doesn't do on tape, bangs that drum as loud as he can, and won't acknowledge the other side of the argument.

titan3131

Reaction score
Does everyone remember when jared crowned tye smith Sherman 2.0? I dare you to mention it to him and get blocked lol.

pcbball12

Reaction score
titan3131":a6i2vz69 said:
Does everyone remember when jared crowned tye smith Sherman 2.0? I dare you to mention it to him and get blocked lol.
Lol ya, he literally falls in love with guys. If Tye Smith even makes a team next year, I guarantee you will see 100 retweets about the time Stanger was the first to discover him and how good he was. He is weird about Gary Gilliam too.