Offense has no idea what to do against two high safeties

mistaowen

Reaction score
Luckily the run game showed up early today but Washington adjusted after that Hyde run and couldn’t do anything after.

Russ with 115? Yards against another D with the same pass coverage that has broken this offense. They almost identically copied the Giants which teams have been copying since the Vikings ran it.

PNW

Reaction score
Yeah 121yards 1TD/1int and a 73.2 rating is not ideal for someone making 35 million this year. I’m glad we won in the end though, the Rams will definitely be a tough test to see how playoff ready we are.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Yeah man I hate it when we win too.

They already showed how to counter the two high safeties: A heavy running attack. WFT couldn't slow down our rushing attack. Wilson dinked and dunked all day with one silly fluke turnover.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
Jerhawk":8i317cy0 said:

They already showed how to counter the two high safeties: A heavy running attack. WFT couldn't slow down our rushing attack. Wilson dinked and dunked all day with one silly fluke turnover.

Yeah pointing out the passing offense continues to struggle against the same defensive alignment means I’m unhappy they won.

Elemas

Reaction score
I don't feel like Russell played bad. Sure, he didn't throw like he did in games 1-5, rating was low, and there was that pick...but...

We had a heavy run game today and RW himself averaged almost 9 yards a carry.

Is that worth $35M a year? Of course not. But, there will be games like this. He's shown that he can flip that around when necessary but it's unfair to think it'll happen each and every time.

I'd agree that he's in somewhat of a slump but I have faith that he's going to torch a few teams in these remaining games and playoffs.

chris98251

Reaction score
35 million isn't about Stats other then one.

Wins.

He did that.

PNW

Reaction score
Elemas":1wfuq1p4 said:
I don't feel like Russell played bad. Sure, he didn't throw like he did in games 1-5, rating was low, and there was that pick...but...

Is that worth $35M a year? Of course not. But, there will be games like this. He's shown that he can flip that around when necessary but it's unfair to think it'll happen each and every time.

I'd agree that he's in somewhat of a slump but I have faith that he's going to torch a few teams in these remaining games and playoffs.
It would be amazing to see him catch fire starting with the Rams and through the playoffs!!! I’m hopeful for sure.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Elemas":2257keoz said:

I hope so, but I have not seen enough the past 9 weeks to support that one. He has been better since Carson came back. Feel like Gordon could help his confidence. After DK and Lockett, this WR group is blah.

hawk45

Reaction score
In a game with Carson and good blocking where our passing offense was anemic and couldn’t pick up the slack once they started stopping the run, I think the OPs idea is worth exploring. Matty brown has been banging that drum on Twitter for weeks, and it’s going to continue to get play until we prove we can beat it.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1rkqt8ap said:

Just bury your head in the sand. Shotty clearly hasn't figured out how to beat that defense. Its a problem. If it was the first time then I would say, lets see if we can adjust. It hasn't happened. there is a blue print how to shutdown this offense and it is a rather simple defense to install.

John63

Reaction score
Okay guys lets look at this Wilson completed over 66% of his passes. The main reason for the low qb rating his 4.5 ypa. We took what they gave us. The int sucked but was a tip and good play crap happens. But u guys want Wilson to take what is there and he did, now u complain about it. Well if they give us the underneath and he takes it he is not going to have a great qbr. Even without the into his qbr would only have been in the 80s. Low ypa always provides low qbr unless you throw for alot of tds.

I di agree they could do more but that is up to Schotty and PC to figure out. My guess is since the run game worked most of the game and we won just like PIKES close in the end with defense nothing will change.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
HawkerD":1p7scjw4 said:
Jerhawk":1p7scjw4 said:

Just bury your head in the sand. Shotty clearly hasn't figured out how to beat that defense. Its a problem. If it was the first time then I would say, lets see if we can adjust. It hasn't happened. there is a blue print how to shutdown this offense and it is a rather simple defense to install.

124 rushing yards by running backs.
52 rushing yards for Wilson
Wilson 18/27 passing.

When the other team drops 8 into coverage, they will run the ball, and they ran it effectively.
That is how you counter the two deep safety look. They've effectively countered the 2 deep safety look by running the ball.

I'm not burying my head in the sand. This is very simple Xs and Os.
You give what the defense gives you.
In our case, defenses are not going to let our receivers beat them deep. They're keeping everything in front of them. Therefore, with one less safety in the box, you run the ball and call shorter, quicker passes. Just like they did today.

Now, I agree that the intermediate passing game does need to improve. But the WFT is a legit top 5 defense, and today it was enough to get the W. With a 10am road game on that cruddy field, we'll take the W.
Today was a step in the right direction because Wilson was at least getting rid of the ball quick and not hanging onto it, waiting for a deep route to develop.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1hubbjer said:
HawkerD":1hubbjer said:
Jerhawk":1hubbjer said:

124 rushing yards by running backs.
52 rushing yards for Wilson
Wilson 18/27 passing.

When the other team drops 8 into coverage, they will run the ball, and they ran it effectively.
That is how you counter the two deep safety look. They've effectively countered the 2 deep safety look BY RUNNING THE FOOTBALL!

I'm not burying my head in the sand. This is very simple Xs and Os.
You give what the defense gives you.
In our case, defenses are not going to let our receivers beat them deep. They're keeping everything in front of them. Therefore, with one less safety in the box, you run the ball and call shorter, quicker passes. Just like they did today.

Yeah, but they didn't score 30 so that means they shutdown our offense even though we had 20 points in the first 32 minutes of the game.

The Breh

Reaction score
What didn't happen, tho, is being terrorized by that nasty ass Dline full of first rounders and a nearly 100 sack (maybe he's got there) Ryan Kerrigan.
They did what was necessary to move the ball steadily for the first half and cruise shakily to the win.

Because of the Rams line and solid DB's I'd expect something similar next week.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, Schotty very clearly came into the game respecting that WFT defensive line. Ball was coming out quick, lots of power runs, I don't think they took a shot over 15 yards til almost half time. And it makes sense, their front 4 has been on a tear this year.

But the offensive line held up and had one of their best games of the year. And they did nothing to really to capitalize on it. WFT adjusted with 5 defensive linemen after it became 20-3, showing their hand to stop the run.

After that Hyde TD run:
3 and out: (0 yard run, 6 yard run, 3 yard pass, punt)
3 and out: (0 yard run, -5 yard penalty, incomplete, 4 yard pass, punt)
6 plays, unlucky interception
3 and out (-4 yard run, 7 yard pass, incomplete, punt)

The offense did absolutely nothing but look to burn clock, poorly. It was so conservative. Those drives put the defense right back onto the field where they obviously became gassed towards the end. And from what I could tell, Washington kept that two deep safety look even with the changed front. This is clearly an issue for the passing game.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2n2wtn06 said:

Wouldn't call it a fluke. The entire throwing lane was filled by a giant DL. That's gotta be a pump fake and keeper. It was one of the only times I saw Wilson trying to do too much. When we don't need him to be SuperRuss, he needs to just be DangerRuss. Protecting the lead and field position should've been more paramount on that play.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
It’s been over a decade and fans still can’t accept that Pete doesn’t care to blow teams out, only win. We had a conservative game-plan given how well the defense was playing. That’s it. No panic on our end

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Elemas":101qdtbd said:

Weeks 1-5 was one of the greatest stretches in NFL history. You all treated that as normal, when it was flat out unbelievable.

Russ’ performance was absolutely worth 35 million today. The WFT was defending the pass, which opened things up for Carson and Hyde. He played really well for most of the game. You guys sound absurd

Latest posts