Offensive Line Follies -- Telling GIF's from the Cards Game

quneur

Reaction score
"1. No pass rush.

2. No protection. RW had very little time all game. Usually when he scrambles he's two or three steps ahead of the defense but today he barely had one. And no, RW wasn't holding the ball too long in this game. When got the ball from center, defenders were immediately in his face. The pocket size was very small all game.

3. No identity in the run game. Rawls played well but outside of him, its a merry go round."

Those are still my thoughts and am sticking with them despite being extremely short-sighted.

penihawk

Reaction score
I remember getting killed for posting :pukeface: after the selection of Ifedi. All you had to do was watch his college tape and that doesn't factor in that we now realize he is mentally challenged as well. I don't see this getting better with our track record of money spent, talent evaluation and scheme/coaching.

PC's one great fault is the ability to admit there is a need for philosophy and coaching change. A positive attitude isn't gonna fix this train wreck.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
SHOCKER315":n9543t1c said:
cymatica":n9543t1c said:
SHOCKER315":n9543t1c said:
Cable is not the problem!!

The gifs clearly show the Oline blocking their "zones" just as they are taught to do. The problem is those undisciplined Cardinals aren't in their correct zones! Can't blame Cable or the Oline for that!

But don't worry guys, help is around the corner... I hear Cable has convinced the Hawks to bring in Kevin Love, Draymond Green, and Serge Ibaka for try outs next year. In addition, there are some great defensive tackles in the draft which would fit perfectly in Cables developmental style. After Cable has trained them up to be adequate NFL lineman (in a few seasons), we can let them walk to other teams so they have to pay the typical Olinemans' salary. Ha Ha... Suckers!!

Meanwhile we can simply draft unproven D-lineman and basketball players and pay them a pittance. Once RW fully heals from his freak injuries (that no one could have predicted), they won't need to block anyway. Russell can easily cartwheel out of any 4 man rush.. so long as the RB's, WR, and TE are chip blocking. So in the end it doesn't really matter.

Don't worry, just trust the process. It brilliant! ;)

I'm laughing and crying at the same time for how funny and true this is

I forgot to add PC/Bevell's 2016 "Ten-Point Plan for Winning Offense":

1. Forget the run game early on. No need to establish it. Besides our undersized RB's are best used for chip blocking against 300 pound defensive tackles.

2. Run play action passes with long developing routes off the un-established run game.

3. Keep the TE's in for additional chip blocking on these play action passes, or use them decoys, (especially if we are in the red zone).

4. Always target the slowest WR who gets the least separation (typically Kearse).

5. Allow RW to be sacked and hurried multiple time in the first half. This has the effect of baiting the defense into being overly aggressive.

6. Go into halftime down multiple scores.

-------Halftime--- (Give speech about how game can't be won in the first three quarters)

7. In the 3rd quarter.... repeat steps 1-5.

8. 4th quarter.... SPRING THE TRAP!! Start running read option every play. Opposing defenses will be exhausted from sacking RW all day, (thanks to step 5). This enables RW to scramble for first downs with ease on every QB keeper or roll out. Throw to Jimmy Graham for the first time, (usually results in a remarkably easy TD to get you back in the game); and target Baldwin on all hectic scramble drills, quick outs, and switch routes up the sideline. Run at least one trick play involving a reverse-pass. Go up tempo for the first time.

9. KEY FACET: Ignore Kearse throughout most of the 4th quarter.... By this time the opposing defense is playing prevent, and has lost any respect for Kearse as a player. Typically, late in the game they will put their worst DB playing 30 yards off him with no help over the top.

10A. If by the late 4th quarter Hawks have regained lead, dither around on offense. No need to extend lead. Get some false starts, holding penalties, or the old standby... OPI by Kearse. Our defense will keep the opposing O out of FG range, guaranteed... book-it.

10B: If still trailing in 4th with less than a minute left, unleash Kearse on a hail-mary. The unsuspecting defense will be stunned by the sheer brashness of entrusting the most important play of the game to him. If on the 1 yard line to win the game... don't run it... too risky. Throw it to Kearse, or perhaps the gunner on the punt team for the win. Should the goal line play fail ...no problem... clock is stopped.

Bring "Hauschka-Money" for the easy chip shot game winner!!

BOOM CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Guys, this is a revolutionary offensive game planning...we are just too blind to see it. :0190l:

ROTFL!!! I am laughing and weeping bitter tears all at the same time. This is pure gold ... and unfortunately 100% True. I concur in nominating this as one of the very best posts of the year. :thumbup:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Hawks46":nfw9alcr said:
CodeWarrior":nfw9alcr said:
To me this shows poor coaching. That Ifedi gif shows a player uncomfortable with the ZBS. Very few of those were physical man-handlings, they were players afraid of making a mistake and in the process of that... making a mistake. This should be drilled into these players by now. These breakdowns in communication are inexcusable.

Couple that with the ridiculous propensity our OL has to cut and you have a garbage line.

Running the ZBS seems anathema to our drafting strategy. We take players with high physical measurables and mould them into an offensive lineman. With all the change most our OL personnel are already going through the last thing they need is a complex blocking scheme. Take players with high measurables and plug them into a power blocking scheme. Line up and have our horses knock their horses off the line. Enough with the cuts and angle-based execution.

This is a great point. I was wondering if they would run a power/man scheme this year due to the athleticism and size of the OL. Evidently not.
How about we at
Least quit worrying them about getting to the second level blocks until after they learn to make the blocks at the line of scrimmage?

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Redsand187":3eaqdkc5 said:
hgwellz12":3eaqdkc5 said:
MrThortan":3eaqdkc5 said:
The silver lining in this years O-Line being among the worst in the league is something will finally be done to make them better... right? Right guys? Next years line will at least be average? Guys?

Only if OG Paul Allen calls Pete & JS into the office & lays down the law.

The bad thing there is Paul Allen has so much bigger and more important stuff he is doing both on a business and charity level that I don't think an NFL team is high on his list of priorities. As horrible as the OL looks, the team is still walking into the playoffs without much contention.

I would expect the team to have to really nose-dive before Paul Allen becomes the one to force changes. He's not the typical NFL team owner, hell, he didn't even really want the team to begin with. It's obvious based on his history and future plans, he's into big things, things much bigger and more complex than football, so you can't really expect him to really devote that much of his time to it.

I think football to him, is like football to 99.9% of NFL viewers, it's an interesting sport to watch, but the rest of the week, life goes on with more important things to focus on. He's just so freakin' rich that instead of buying tickets like you or I might, he buys a team and pays for the majority of a stadium.

Oh no doubt, I fully understood all of that when I made my post. Which is why I feel so damn hopeless about the situation.

xgeoff

Reaction score
penihawk":3bpg9r45 said:
I remember getting killed for posting :pukeface: after the selection of Ifedi. All you had to do was watch his college tape and that doesn't factor in that we now realize he is mentally challenged as well. I don't see this getting better with our track record of money spent, talent evaluation and scheme/coaching.

PC's one great fault is the ability to admit there is a need for philosophy and coaching change. A positive attitude isn't gonna fix this train wreck.

Exactly. His play now is no different than his college tape, which I thought was awful as well. Why would the FO expect something different?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
MontanaHawk05":1v7qx0ia said:
mrt144":1v7qx0ia said:
Again Fant seems to be the only one gets an effective block on anyone and that guy is purposefully playing contain.

Fant was directly involved on three of Wilson's sacks against the Cardinals. You can see that on tape yourself in the highlight reels, for two of them. On the third (the goal-line sack), I'm trusting Andy Benoit that Fant was the one who missed the assignment.

Fant and Ifedi are being rookies. Glowinski is being a redshirt rookie. Right tackle has no excuse.

The nice part?

We were saying all the same stuff about Justin Britt in 2014 and 2015. #hope

So by 2018, we'll be five deep in quality centers. Nice. #hope

HawksSoc

Reaction score
xgeoff":20ju2uza said:
Exactly. His play now is no different than his college tape, which I thought was awful as well. Why would the FO expect something different?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latestcb20160321054749