Offer 1st Rounder for Brian Burns, Carolina Edge?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I’d rather offer Bellicek a 1 for Matt Judon and then sign Roquan Smith in the offseason then stack the D with all those picks

Seahawker

Reaction score
Why is everyone including our own front office always trying to waste our 1st rounders!? :mad:

GemCity

Reaction score
We don't have the cap space. And this year's draft has two potentially generational pass rushers. So I'd pass on Burns unless the front office is absolutely convinced we're a player away from a playoff run.
Yep

Spohawks

Reaction score
Its a value question...no player through the draft or veteran is garenteed to light up the stats board.

Burns is a cheap deal for 1 year, a draft pick is a cheap deal for 5 years.

I like his sack production and he seems durable but how much is renting a player for a year in a half worth? Because he is gone for a big payday after next year.

Rental value for 5 more sacks this year, 9 next year and a decent tackler??? A 3rd-4th.

OP
OP
SNDavidson

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I guess I would sign and get a deal done with him, I didn't realize we were tight next year cap-wise, I'd imagine we'd only be looking to get younger again with a lot of draft capital. If if ends up being doable I'd definitely sign and redo contract. How often do 24.5 year old blossoming probowlers come up as available like this?

BASF

Reaction score
According to over the cap we only have 3.2 million available for the season. Burns' contract fits but that means no one can be signed in case of injury. He would make a difference this season, but we need that money in case a position group gets depleted and we need to sign free agents.

Spohawks

Reaction score
I didn't realize the cap space was that tight either. Yeah, forget about any signings, the draft is our off season thrill.

balakoth

Reaction score
He was from the Collier class, drafted at #16, Collier was #29. Don't think Panther will settle for a 2nd pick, perhaps a 2nd rounder in 2023, and a 5th in 2024?
Possibly but hes still not worth a 1 at this point

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
Jumping in here with no idea what’s going on in this thread, other than the op. My opinion is that we need to sit tight, try to develop what we can out of this roster and prepare to make sure (as much as anyone can) that our scouting and cap management strategy for next year provides us with the opportunity to get a quality quarterback and a premier edge rusher. In addition to that we also need some mammoth defensive tackles if we’re going to make this 3-4 work.

GemCity

Reaction score
? Hes still going on his fifth year option... cap space next year matters not
I’m thinking of it more as taking a shot, with a rookie salary, and developing him into a premier edge.

Burns will ask for, and get, big $$$ soon.

keasley45

Reaction score
This.

I think they went into this season with the idea that theyd ride with what they've got and not overinvest in Dline because the 23 draft is deep there.

Even now, with how the defense is struggling, I think they're committed to see the season through and not make drastic shifts in philosophy, but rather have the players take their lumps and get used to the system, knowing that next year we will be able to stack the cupboards with the talent we need to make things work.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Only if the price is low, which it probably won't be. These big trades that Seattle have tried have left me feeling PTSD. We came out on the losing end of the Jamal Adams, Graham and Harvin trades.
The state of the team when those three trades were made was completely different than it is now. Each of those trades was made with the hope that the acquired player would be enough to possibly and potentially put the team over the top. These players were in positions of perceived needs.
The 2022 Seahawks have way more holes than these previous iterations of the team. I believe the mindset in these trades was quality over quantity. Thus the idea of trading multiple picks and or players for a position of need.
While this team is still in need of quality, the quantity of the upcoming 4 picks in the first two rounds of the 23 drafts is way more valuable than getting a single pass rusher in this 22 season where it probably wouldn’t make a definitive difference anyway.

OP
OP
SNDavidson

SNDavidson

Reaction score
The state of the team when those three trades were made was completely different than it is now. Each of those trades was made with the hope that the acquired player would be enough to possibly and potentially put the team over the top. These players were in positions of perceived needs.
The 2022 Seahawks have way more holes than these previous iterations of the team. I believe the mindset in these trades was quality over quantity. Thus the idea of trading multiple picks and or players for a position of need.
While this team is still in need of quality, the quantity of the upcoming 4 picks in the first two rounds of the 23 drafts is way more valuable than getting a single pass rusher in this 22 season where it probably wouldn’t make a definitive difference anyway.

Good points, you left a huge one out though, I'm saying sign him as well. So a known game impacting pro bowl edge rusher for 5 years, I'll even round up, age 25, plus the same draft minus a single first rounder spent on the aforementioned known commodity.

Of course it doesn't really matter what we think, but good debate nonetheless..

Latest posts