Official: Seahawks Cut CB Cary Williams

HawkGA

Reaction score
If it accelerated the cap hit then there would never be any dead money.

bandiger

Reaction score
I must say if a guy is not working, they just cut them out very quickly. JS/PC on point.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Makes sense to do it ASAP because it frees up a roster spot and gets rid of a potential locker-room problem. I'm glad we have a management team that will make moves like this rather than let things fester.

byau

Reaction score
I love the FO and how they can tell when to move on or not. And when it's time, it's time

(Hey Browns: maybe you could pick up a hint from this type of FO work?)

I agree there have to be other things going on, and when someone gets cut, it's as much cutting him and getting him as it is showing the guys that are staying that you value them and what they are doing right.

I will bet whatever happened, seeing Cary in the locker room and on the field was a reminder of what was going on, and if the Seahawks are really all about competition and Cary was not competing (speculative on my part) than you show you value the guys competing by cutting the one that's not.

I loved moving on from Percy.

I love this one too.

kidhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":2ij0a50q said:
I've always read that it counts immediately against the cap when they are cut, so I don't know if there's a loophole somewhere that I don't know about that allows them to carry it into next year or if there was a restructure of a contract.

I looked it up in the most recent CBA and on page 59 (f) it states that any player signing bonus will be accelerated into the next year. so that means that we will still retain the $1.4 million we have now, of course subtracting for anyone we sign or promote to take his place on the roster.

12thbrah

Reaction score
bout time. Can't just bring guys off the street and expect them to perform at LOB levels. Hopefully the FO has learned its lesson they need to keep developing and bringing up young players through the program.

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":1wtguawd said:
I've always read that it counts immediately against the cap when they are cut, so I don't know if there's a loophole somewhere that I don't know about that allows them to carry it into next year or if there was a restructure of a contract.

Post June 1 cuts only accelerates the current year's money moving the rest into subsequent year

This article is one example that discusses it
http://www.thephinsider.com/2015/2/18/8 ... xplanation

HawkGA

Reaction score
kidhawk":318d520y said:
kidhawk":318d520y said:

I looked it up in the most recent CBA and on page 59 (f) it states that any player signing bonus will be accelerated into the next year. so that means that we will still retain the $1.4 million we have now, of course subtracting for anyone we sign or promote to take his place on the roster.

Does this last part hold true? That is, if we sign somebody up, they probably won't count in the Top 53 or whatever contracts that count towards the salary cap. The big question is probably weather Williams continues to count in that number or if he truly is dead money (that salary counts against the cap, but doesn't count in the Top 53-or whatever).

kidhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":2926rhyt said:
If it accelerated the cap hit then there would never be any dead money.

Ummm that's exactly what dead money is....accelerated cap hit.

The difference here is that the most recent cba allows us to post it to next year instead of immediately.

That means that the dead money will hit next year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Really surprised they did it now considering the depth but I guess they didn't want him out there at any cost anymore.

kidhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":3iyd4t97 said:
kidhawk":3iyd4t97 said:
kidhawk":3iyd4t97 said:

Does this last part hold true? That is, if we sign somebody up, they probably won't count in the Top 53 or whatever contracts that count towards the salary cap. The big question is probably weather Williams continues to count in that number or if he truly is dead money (that salary counts against the cap, but doesn't count in the Top 53-or whatever).

I'm not 100% on it, but I'm fairly certain that the top salaries are only counted from players on the roster. Dead money is exactly that....dead money. It counts towards the roster no matter what. It doesn't have any affect on the top salaries counting against the cap.

Cartire

Reaction score
HawkGA":ww1lx5ta said:
kidhawk":ww1lx5ta said:
kidhawk":ww1lx5ta said:

They have to count on the 53, because they have to be signed to the 53 (either a PS player moving up or a new signing). Theres no more then the 53 outside of the PS. Only the offseason and preseason are their more then 53, and it only counts the top 51 contracts at that time.

Polaris

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1ol523n8 said:
Really surprised they did it now considering the depth but I guess they didn't want him out there at any cost anymore.

My best guess? I think Cary Williams quickly soured on the organization after being benched, and was cut before he could poison anyone else. That's not a nice thing to say, but it's my guess. #Shades of Percy Harvin

Seahawks4life

Reaction score
I think he was the big reason there was no trust in the backfield and for that GOOOOD BYE!

Was tired of watching Cary "I got toasted" Williams.

byau

Reaction score
By the way, Shead's backfield tackle on the "reverse" (or option reverse, or whatever you want to call it). The one where the announcers praised Shead for "staying home" ... that's him trusting the guys on the other side of the field and vice versa

And Shead leg whipped tackled the guy one on one

That's LOB

Does Wililams make that tackle?

And now that's two systems he might not have bought into, Chip Kelly's and now Pete Carroll's.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Last I heard, we were paying 3.5 mil to sit on the bench. Next years 7 mil was not guaranteed.

Maybe one of the other NFC West teams picks him up. :pray:

themunn

Reaction score
What difference this makes cutting now is that it lets Williams find a team where he might actually be an upgrade, when he clearly isn't here.

PCJS always doing the best for team and player.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
jkitsune":3h43ip2r said:
drdiags":3h43ip2r said:
I figured this was going to happen. Just no way they could keep him on the team after the demotion. You saw it in his face from last week during the DBs circle. He had checked out. Best of luck to him, just didn't work out.

You called it. I thought you were exaggerating. You were not.
Yeah good call Doc. I didn't see it happening because of need for depth, but apparently the risk of him being a distraction outweighed that.

RussB

Reaction score
Finally, why did they even sign him in the first place. Ive also heard this guy is a locker room problem, so that might be another issue with him right now.

Latest posts