Offsides negates personal fouls?

Tical21

Reaction score
a_gumbel":24jjy8we said:
Yeah y'all are fools. NFL rule book says nothing about "getting the ball first". This is why people dislike Seattle fans.
If you touch the ball, there is no roughing, period. Are you new to football?

The refs made an agregious mistake by not blowing the play dead when he was unabaited to the kicker. By not doing so, they got what they got.

Their failure caused the kicker to get hurt. Then they made the Bills take him out because of their mistake hahahahaha!

Then they didn't let then snap the ball and called delay of game. Man, that was beautiful officiating.

OP
OP
A

a_gumbel

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":ej9h9cd4 said:
a_gumbel":ej9h9cd4 said:
Yeah y'all are fools. NFL rule book says nothing about "getting the ball first". This is why people dislike Seattle fans.

I suggest you actually read the rule book, or maybe actually watch a game once in a while. You are 100% incorrect.

You are correct. Although interestingly enough the rule book doesn't say that its OK to make contact, it just states that if you hit the ball, avoiding kicker no longer becomes a priority. Sorry about misstating facts. I should have read the rule first.

StoneCold

Reaction score
a_gumbel":1l8jr3wq said:

While I'm uncertain as to when the whistle blew there is no question that if the player blocks the kick you can run into the kicker. Even if they got the call right, off sides, they blew it on the delay of game and pushed them back 5 yards. Still terrible officiating that may have affected the outcome. It's why I'm not as excited about football in general.

Which is really too bad, because other than that it was a great game. Too very good teams stretched to the limit. NFL is bending over the proverbial pooch.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The refs made 2 errors:

Didn't blow the whistle before Sherman got in to touch the hall. He wasn't going after the kicker like their drunken coach believed.

The refs not resetting the playclock when switching to the kicking ball.

The game is over, buffalo didn't capitalize at the end to win.

253hawk

Reaction score
Anything after a block is incidental contact. I mean look at Sherm's body...he's doing everything he can to avoid contact. The contact comes from Carpenter kicking into him.

i

Wanna see a real blown call? How about McCoy going out of bounds and the ref not even throwing his hat...

http://i.imgur.com/7E569Hq.mp4

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Tical21":29s5zcwa said:
Then they didn't let then snap the ball and called delay of game. Man, that was beautiful officiating.

How did they not let them snap the ball. It's not like Buffalo was lined up waiting on the ref to snap it. Perhaps, while Buffalo was milling about getting lined up, the ref was over the ball, but by the time the holder got into position, and the kicker started to take his position, the ref was well away from the LOS.

OP
OP
A

a_gumbel

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2o7rekcr said:
a_gumbel":2o7rekcr said:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbna...d-goal-seahawks-bills-officials?client=safari

Read the article, the rule is clearly stated there. Humble thyself

I read the rule, I was wrong. Doesn't change that instead of roughing the kicker, the refs could have called unnecessary roughness. Sorry I spouted off misinformation, I hate that. My bad.

OP
OP
A

a_gumbel

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2vslg1a0 said:
The refs made 2 errors:

Didn't blow the whistle before Sherman got in to touch the hall. He wasn't going after the kicker like their drunken coach believed.

The game is over, buffalo didn't capitalize at the end to win.

I'm glad you get this, I don't think this changed the outcome of the game, I.just thought t was shoddy ref work the benefitted SEA. Any objective fan who thinks.otherwise is crazy.

Polaris

Reaction score
a_gumbel":3rz0edun said:
Jerhawk":3rz0edun said:
a_gumbel":3rz0edun said:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbna...d-goal-seahawks-bills-officials?client=safari

I read the rule, I was wrong. Doesn't change that instead of roughing the kicker, the refs could have called unnecessary roughness. Sorry I spouted off misinformation, I hate that. My bad.

Why should we? Walt Anderson determined that Sherman couldn't hear the whistle ending the play (and by the way neither could the holder or the kicker). That was an entirely reasonable judgement of the official and quite likely (as you'd know if you've ever been to Century Link). It would have been extremely bad form then, to throw a flag for UNR if the exact same play would be LEGAL if no whistle is blown.

What you suggest would only apply if in the judgement of the official, #25 had deliberately ignored the whistle, but the video does not support this nor does the testimony of the head official.

OP
OP
A

a_gumbel

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3nv9tm7r said:
a_gumbel":3nv9tm7r said:
Jerhawk":3nv9tm7r said:
a_gumbel":3nv9tm7r said:

It wasn't unnecessary roughness either. Get over it.

Check out Article 8.e NFL handbook. Refs missed a call. Whatever. Just try to see that. I'm not saying it wasnt a great game, but you guys got gifted those three
From what should have been 15 forward they got 5 back.

StoneCold

Reaction score
a_gumbel":2p3elic8 said:
Jerhawk":2p3elic8 said:
a_gumbel":2p3elic8 said:

Good on you. I think what's critical in determining if it's unabated and therefore unnecessary roughness is when did they blow the whistle? If it comes immediately after Sherman moves off sides, it's unabated and a 15 yard penalty. If not and they were letting the play run as often happens when the defense is off sides, (free play and go deep and such), then the off sides is correct. Fans are too loud for me to hear clearly either way.

They still screwed up the delay of game call.

OP
OP
A

a_gumbel

Reaction score
I swear I'm not trying to be a villain on this board and we screwed myself by misrepresenting the roughing the kicker rule. All I'm saying is... I've seen calls go for Seattle, I've seen em go against.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1c5l0bu7 said:

??? Please explain. Since when do you reset the play clock when switching to the kicking ball.

Just to be sure I'm not the confused one here (happens all the time), I just went and watched one field goal in three other games. In all of them, the 40 second play clock started with the whistle ending the previous play, and there was no switch to a 25 second clock.

Anguish

Reaction score
Let's not gloss over the fact that Sherman "egregiously targeted" the kicker, running into the plant leg (his left knee), and then during the horrible acting job trying to sell it, Carpenter rolled around on the ground grabbing the wrong leg. Which brought the training staff out, which ultimately made the fiasco worse since he had to go out for the play due to his "injury". Followed by a clocking the ball play, followed by a delay of game call that came 7 seconds after the clock went to zero...

StoneCold

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2mkfr4ml said:
Jerhawk":2mkfr4ml said:

??? Please explain. Since when do you reset the play clock when switching to the kicking ball.

Just to be sure I'm not the confused one here (happens all the time), I just went and watched one field goal in three other games. In all of them, the 40 second play clock started with the whistle ending the previous play, and there was no switch to a 25 second clock.

From what I heard it is supposed to be rest when the refs are over the ball with less than 5 seconds to go.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
It wouldn't have been a tied game.

Bills defense was holding our Receivers all day, there were a few plays if Baldwin or Kearse weren't being held it would of gone for TDs.

Luckily for Graham he was able to hauled it in twice with one armed pinned back, one called for holding and one not.

Bills still had a chance in the 2nd half to win the game, but they didn't.

Good luck to the Bills the rest of the season, they played a great game.

Ozzy

Reaction score
a_gumbel":tw2qbwpj said:
Jerhawk":tw2qbwpj said:
a_gumbel":tw2qbwpj said:

Props for admitting that.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Anguish":tnkgpyuf said:
Let's not gloss over the fact that Sherman "egregiously targeted" the kicker, running into the plant leg (his left knee), and then during the horrible acting job trying to sell it, Carpenter rolled around on the ground grabbing the wrong leg. Which brought the training staff out, which ultimately made the fiasco worse since he had to go out for the play due to his "injury". Followed by a clocking the ball play, followed by a delay of game call that came 7 seconds after the clock went to zero...

Good post.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
a_gumbel":ptrae6i3 said:
I swear I'm not trying to be a villain on this board and we screwed myself by misrepresenting the roughing the kicker rule. All I'm saying is... I've seen calls go for Seattle, I've seen em go against.

Your argument keeps changing as the thread evolves.

A simple "I was wrong" was all you needed. No need to try and maintain some sort of point after it has been completely blown up.

OP
OP
A

a_gumbel

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2o3v7ism said:
a_gumbel":2o3v7ism said:

Your argument keeps changing as the thread evolves.

A simple "I was wrong" was all you needed. No need to try and maintain some sort of point after it has been completely blown up.

My argument hasn't changed. Refs missed a few calls at the end of the first half, and it went in Seattle's favor. We should all be able to agree on that.

Latest posts