Offsides negates personal fouls?

McGruff

Reaction score
For those that say, Sherman should've known to stop even without the whistle . . .

Later in the game Cliff Avril shot his own team in the foot by stopping before the whistle because of a (rightly) perceived penalty. The Bills RG false started (blatantly) and Avril shot through and had a clear path to Taylor in the endzone for a safety, but he stopped running because he thought there was a penalty for false start.

You play to the whistle or you pay the price.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bitter":2cjd3eu6 said:
Though in that case one could easily argue that they didn't blow their whistles to give the Bills two chances to make the field goal. If you think about it logically, without knowing the outcome, who does it really benefit for the whistle no to be blown as soon as Sherman jumps offsides?

Because it benefits the offense for the whistle to not be called, gives them a chance at making the FG and declining the penalty.

Same reason the refs don't automatically blow the whistle when a DE jumps offside giving the QB a free play downfield. Unless there's contact at the line or the O-line reacts, the refs never blow the whistle.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":xbfc934d said:
Bitter":xbfc934d said:
Though in that case one could easily argue that they didn't blow their whistles to give the Bills two chances to make the field goal. If you think about it logically, without knowing the outcome, who does it really benefit for the whistle no to be blown as soon as Sherman jumps offsides?

Because it benefits the offense for the whistle to not be called, gives them a chance at making the FG and declining the penalty.

Same reason the refs don't automatically blow the whistle when a DE jumps offside giving the QB a free play downfield. Unless there's contact at the line or the O-line reacts, the refs never blow the whistle.

Exactly. So people arguing anything on that play was a blown call in the Seahawks favor aren't really thinking about it logically. At best, the refs just couldn't locate their whistles. At worst, they were trying to give the Bills an extra chance to make the kick. As no time ran off the clock, I think it was the former. At any rate, there was no part of the officiating on that play that was missed in the Seahawks favor.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bitter":1byur037 said:
Sgt. Largent":1byur037 said:
Bitter":1byur037 said:

Exactly. So people arguing anything on that play was a blown call in the Seahawks favor aren't really thinking about it logically. At best, the refs just couldn't locate their whistles. At worst, they were trying to give the Bills an extra chance to make the kick. As no time ran off the clock, I think it was the former. At any rate, there was no part of the officiating on that play that was missed in the Seahawks favor.

Unless the refs thought it was an unsportmanslike conduct on Sherman. But that's a hard judgement call to make when a player contacts the ball before the whistle.

And in general the refs were letting the teams play last night. Which I like. Enough with the ticky tack penalties, NO ONE from the owners to the fans likes 40 penalties a game called.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I dont know what other people are looking at but he was obviously going for the ball. No obvious intent to hurt the kicker. HOW ELSE SHOULD HE HAVE PLAYED THAT? He touched the ball first. NO ROUGHING KICKER. I am not sure why it is even still being discussed. People are loaded with false outrage and will pull anything out if they don't like someone. The play clock thing was bad but so were many other calls during game. Cant wait for this one to die down.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Also this Dean Beano guy. Just because he says something everyone is taking it as gospel. They guy is an asshat. "Well Deano said it so it must be true. Blah, Blah,Blah." It is crazy how (like many other Seahawk plays) it is established FACT now that Sherm was wrong and lets discuss how this cant happen again. I am so glad I only watch one game a week (Seahawks ONLY). Dealing with more of this nauseating narrative is to much sometimes.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
253hawk":1spdncgc said:
Can't be roughing when Sherman got the ball first. Blandino...more like Blindino. Get your eyes checked, gramps. Refs never even blew the whistle to signal it dead until Sherman had blocked it and was on the ground, so how could it be roughing on a dead play? QBs get hit all the time on dead ball plays and there's never a flag for it.

http://video.nfl.com/films/vodzilla/372 ... _5000k.mp4

EzucwTK

Looks like no one else got the message that the play was dead. They are all playing too.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":2cefbty5 said:
Also this Dean Beano guy. Just because he says something everyone is taking it as gospel. They guy is an asshat. "Well Deano said it so it must be true. Blah, Blah,Blah." It is crazy how (like many other Seahawk plays) it is established FACT now that Sherm was wrong and lets discuss how this cant happen again. I am so glad I only watch one game a week (Seahawks ONLY). Dealing with more of this nauseating narrative is to much sometimes.

If only there was some impartial, unchanging (in the moment) source we could go to to determine this. Oh, I know, how about the rulebook, Dean?????

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3ir0po6c said:
TorontoHawk":3ir0po6c said:
So funny this place. When the reffs miss calls on the Hawks they is a great conspiracy or some plan by the NFL to get the Seahawk, but when the other team receives a bad call you can somehow justify it. Last night there were a lot on bad calls(two on the FG at the end of the half) and a few non-calls which I don't mind as long as they go both ways and let them play.

Plenty of people have acknowledged there were some mistakes by the crew, just not willing to concede that it should have been a personal foul.

And they are right.

Keep preaching from your perch though. Opposing fans are proud of your perspective. :roll:

Just not looking via homer glasses, bad calls happen both ways. It does stink the refs can't get there stuff together but if you are going to complain about them at least be okay with saying we got a few calls that went are way and helped us out last night. All in all it was a great game and RW looked great.

xgeoff

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":472bsxyb said:
Hawkpower":472bsxyb said:
TorontoHawk":472bsxyb said:
So funny this place. When the reffs miss calls on the Hawks they is a great conspiracy or some plan by the NFL to get the Seahawk, but when the other team receives a bad call you can somehow justify it. Last night there were a lot on bad calls(two on the FG at the end of the half) and a few non-calls which I don't mind as long as they go both ways and let them play.

Plenty of people have acknowledged there were some mistakes by the crew, just not willing to concede that it should have been a personal foul.

And they are right.

Keep preaching from your perch though. Opposing fans are proud of your perspective. :roll:

Just not looking via homer glasses, bad calls happen both ways. It does stink the refs can't get there stuff together but if you are going to complain about them at least be okay with saying we got a few calls that went are way and helped us out last night. All in all it was a great game and RW looked great.

I was born in Buffalo. I would love to see the Bills do well. They outplayed the Seahawks yesterday. But here are the facts:

1. They did not blow the whistle on Sherman, so play ON!
2. Sherman touched the ball before making contact with Carpenter.

In the absence of a whistle, and the fact that Sherman made contact with the ball before making contact with Carpenter, the refs got this call right.

The Bills had a chance to win it at the end of the game. They didn't. It's one more heartbreak that this team has delivered to their fans. But make no mistake, the team delivered it, not the officials. It's the same thing I said about the Falcons game, and it applies to the Saints game as well: if you let the game come down to one play call by the officials, then you haven't played well enough to win. Period.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":15hcrnke said:
Hawkpower":15hcrnke said:
TorontoHawk":15hcrnke said:

And they are right.

I think your trying too hard to be the anti-homer.

Latest posts