Ok you are the GM - do you dare go on the record?

JerHawk81

Reaction score
Fun!

Round 2, Pick 3 (No. 35 overall): Forrest Lamp | OG, Western Kentucky. With Robinson and King going in picks 33 and 34 - I figure I've pressed my luck as much as I dare, and I take Lamp. Note that I would have taken McDowell here based solely on his scouting reports, but I'm less of a fan of his film than virtually everyone else (but hey, what the hell do I know???)

Round 2, Pick 26 (No. 58): Chidobe Awuzie | CB, Colorado. I'd like to go DL here, but Awuzie is probably the best player available here, and is still at a position of need. I do like Pocic quite a bit, but I worry that he is a pretty pure C, and wouldn't have gone that direction.

Round 3, Pick 26 (No. 90): Shaquill Griffin | CB, UCF. The board fought me here. Again, I'd like to go DL, but the DL talent is pretty well picked over, and Griffin is my BPA (especially in our system). With Awuzie already selected, this is largely a luxury pick - but that's what trading down buys ya!

Round 3, Pick 31 (No. 95): Trey Hendrickson | DE, Florida Atlantic. I don't love Hendrickson, but I feel pretty pressured to add a pass-rusher to the DL. Hill is actually higher on my BPA list, but I can't justify 3 DBs in a row...

Round 3, Pick 38 (No. 102): Dorian Johnson | OG, Pittsburgh. I go back to the OL here, and get a player who probably has a legit shot at winning the LT battle. Granted, that says more about our LT situation than about Johnson as a player...

Round 3, Pick 42 (No. 106): Nazair Jones, DT, Tarholes. I didnt take him at 102, and he magically fell to 106! Yahoo!!!

Round 4, Pick 4 (No. 111): Tedric Thompson, S, Colorado. There is probably better value at WR, and I'd rather go OLB, but I can't pass up Thompson here - especially with Awuzie on board.

Round 6, Pick 3 (No. 187): Pita Taumoepenu | OLB, Utah. Not a great player, but an athletic OLB. Maybe too early for him, and maybe I'm forcing this a bit...

Round 6, Pick 26 (No. 210): Elijah Qualls | DT, Washington. Fun!

Round 7, Pick 8 (No. 226) David Moore, WR, East Central (Oklahoma). OK

Round 7, Pick 31 (No. 249) Christopher Carson, RB, Oklahoma State. But, I draft him to play OL.

It's worth noting that when it's all said and done, I think I prefer the actual draft to my draft. It's also really helpful to have all of those extra picks...

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
JerHawk81 - Nice post! following original rules (not nitpicking the ones that didn't and for the sake of participating ignoring the minor upwards trade that others did).

Just need to give it 9 months and we will have a season of data to compare too. I think we all hope that the actual draft beat alternatives that we proposed

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2rn0txfj said:
I decided to only allow myself the options of accepting trades we did complete. Because we can't force other teams to accept moves up (and we tried in R5 according to JS). So basically have to stand pat or accept what deals were known to actually be available.

It were me:

31: Kevin King (CB Wash)
58: Chris Wormley (DT Michigan)
90: John Johnson (S Boston College)
95: Jake Butt (TE Michigan)
102: Vince Biegel (LB Wisconsin)
106: Dorian Johnson (OG Pitt)
(no 111)
187: Conor McDermott (OT UCLA)
210: Zane Gonzalez (umm.. Blair Walsh remember?!)
226: Elijiah Hood (RB NC

I'd probably have stood pat and tried to get Naz Jones at 106 instead of Johnson. Jones probably gets that far.

I hope that Pocic significantly distinguishes himself from the tier 3 OL group. I had him kind of in the back of that group (Johnson/McDermott/Siragusa/Garcia).

Pretty strong draft here.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
mikeak":3ehoosnp said:
Sun - changed title but something slightly less inflammatory than you suggested :)

Scoring. Hadn't planned on it more a subjective discussion in a year but here is an idea. What source would be the best for objective ranking? Just use that as a point system and least points win and 100pts or similar for players not making it

As far as scoring Profootball Reference (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/y ... /draft.htm) has an Aproximate Value quotation given to each player at the end of the year.

Add up the Seahawks draft, add up your draft, the highest total wins.

This means you’ll need to select a player for every slot the Seahawks drafted at and if you choose not to trade down or try to trade up you’ll be at a slight disadvantage. But then that is the premises here, which gives a team the most valued draft, fewer quality players or more quantity.

Bare in mind kickers and punters get discounted as they only play part time, they can’t put a value on training, developing, or “redshirting” a player, and it tends to over value skill players that have more comparable statistics.

For example Richard Sherman received an AV of 5 his rookie year even though he played in all 16 games and started in 10. The next year he was an All Pro with an AV of 18. Rick Mirer had an AV of 10 his rookie year, but progressed downward from there on, meaning rookie grades may not tell the entire story.

Even so, while not a perfect scoring system and one rookie year may not be be the best value sample, it is an unbiased third party that places a qualitative number on every player drafted...

Hawks46

Reaction score
chris98251":35eo0cwy said:
Top rated O line in this draft was a third rounder in other years, the meat was DB's and the difference between King and Griffin is minimal in my book but a whole lot in salary and possible second contract.

I seriously hope you're right. I like the Griffin pick where they got him, don't get me wrong, but I loved King. It has nothing to do with his being a Husky and more to do with him having elite physical measurables and size that is comparable to Sherman's but add 10 lbs.

Imagine a heavier, faster, quicker Richard Sherman with way better college tape. Also envision what the Seahawks have managed to do with long CB's. I thought King was more polished than Rasul Douglas and that tier of long rangy CB's. I loved the McDowell pick, as I think it was very underrated, but I'd be willing to be everything in my bank account that if King was there at that pick that the Hawks select him over McDowell.

massari

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":25dxli0d said:
This is a great idea. Thanks for doing this mikeak.

A couple very minor issues for your consideration. First, how are we scoring this? When I win, I want to have proof that I won. And second, I hate to nitpick, but would you consider changing the title of the thread to “Put up or Shut up”. I’m sure it won’t silence the universal critics sitting around in their mamma’s basement bombarding the board with incessant negativity, but it may at least antagonize one of them into posting their own uninformed (I believe that’s the proper term for using Mel Kiper’s big board to build a draft) Seahawks draft.

My Seahawks Draft:
35 Malik McDowell
58 Jordan Willis
90 Shaq Griffin
95 Delano Hill
102 Naziar Jones
106 Amara Darboah
111 Carl Lawson
187 Isaac Asiata
210 Jalen Myrick
226 Jadar Johnson
249 Chris Carson

Asiata was already gone by pick #187. :(

6 of our first 7 picks are the same. ;)

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
massari":2pwh4ruv said:
Sun Tzu":2pwh4ruv said:
This is a great idea. Thanks for doing this mikeak.

A couple very minor issues for your consideration. First, how are we scoring this? When I win, I want to have proof that I won. And second, I hate to nitpick, but would you consider changing the title of the thread to “Put up or Shut up”. I’m sure it won’t silence the universal critics sitting around in their mamma’s basement bombarding the board with incessant negativity, but it may at least antagonize one of them into posting their own uninformed (I believe that’s the proper term for using Mel Kiper’s big board to build a draft) Seahawks draft.

My Seahawks Draft:
35 Malik McDowell
58 Jordan Willis
90 Shaq Griffin
95 Delano Hill
102 Naziar Jones
106 Amara Darboah
111 Carl Lawson
187 Isaac Asiata
210 Jalen Myrick
226 Jadar Johnson
249 Chris Carson

Asiata was already gone by pick #187. :(

6 of our first 7 picks are the same. ;)
Damn, that wrecks my whole draft. I thought Asiata went 194 giving me the steal of day 3.
I could drop Nazair or Darboah and take Nico Siragusa, Dorian Johnson, or Asiata there, but I think Darboah is going to surprise and I'm sure Pete has a plan for Nazair. So, that leaves finding a decent round 6 OL (probably not happening this draft), putting Mike Tyson back in or grabbing DJ Jones, another DL. I'm pretty sure if I was calling the shots we'd have at least a half dozen too many D-Linemen in camp every year and someone on here would be making a joke about another safety conversion project every time a new DT is signed/drafted (seriously, am I the only one who wants to see a 310 pound FS take some diva WR's head off on a crossing route?).
35 Malik McDowell
58 Jordan Willis
90 Shaq Griffin
95 Delano Hill
102 Naziar Jones
106 Amara Darboah
111 Carl Lawson
187 DJ Jones
210 Jalen Myrick
226 Jadar Johnson
249 Chris Carson

massari

Reaction score
Not too many willing to go on the record, I see.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
34 RT Cam Robinson
58 LG Taylor Moton
90 CB Shaquille Griffin
95 CB Rasul Douglas
102 SLB/LEO Vince Biegel
106 FS Tedric Thompson
111 RB Joe Williams
210 DT Elijah Qualls
226 DT Stevie Tu'ikolovatu
249 DE Hunter Dimick

My initial instinct was about fixing the immediate problems in the hopes of a Super Bowl run.

I would have given Cam Robinson a chance to win the LT job, but more likely he would have found a home at RT, forming a massive combo of Ifedi-Robinson on the right side.

Taylor Moton could have played a number of positions. If Robinson had stuck at LT, Moton probably would be our starter at RT. Otherwise, I think Moton would have slid inside and started admirably at LG for four years. Robinson and Moton would have greatly improved the quality of talent along our most-maligned position group.

I would have stuck with Shaquille Griffin as a boundary corner, but I would have hedged our bets by taking Rasul Douglas next. Douglas fights for the ball like Richard Sherman did.

Vince Biegel would have solidified our holes at SLB and LEO.

Joe Williams has All-Pro potential, which is the kind of RB we should be drafting.

With the last three picks, I would have focused on adding DL depth. Qualls has a high ceiling as a 3T. Tu'ikolovatu was the best run stopper in college football last year. And Hunter Dimick doesn't really fit our scheme, but I just love the guy's attitude and tenacity. I would have tried him at the 5T.

massari

Reaction score
hawknation2017":280b8etb said:
Joe Williams has All-Pro potential, which is the kind of RB we should be drafting.
Joe Williams' UDFA teammate Matt Breida would've been nice as well.

Among running backs with at least 200 carries in 2015, Breida’s 60.3 percent breakaway percentage – measuring the percentage of rushing yardage earned on runs of 15 yards or more – trailed only Florida State’s Dalvin Cook (62.9 percent).
Breida’s 3.61 yards after contact per attempt in 2015 ranked eighth out of 51 qualifying running backs, just below Leonard Fournette (3.65) and ahead of top 2016 prospects Ezekiel Elliott (3.54) and Derrick Henry (3.38).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-49 ... tt-breida/

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JakeAbraham45/status/847498012532260864[/tweet]

[youtube]UcNzsKeapy0[/youtube]
[youtube]ddtOxf-It74[/youtube]

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
In the first round I'd take Kevin King. And saying that I think the guy's Seattle got for the CB /DB position will be fine.

massari

Reaction score
Curious what people see in Vince Biegel to pick him over Carl Lawson? Is it mostly his character?

Also, Nobody picked Pocic or Senior. :eek:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
massari":85f0hvum said:
Curious what people see in Vince Biegel to pick him over Carl Lawson? Is it mostly his character?

Also, Nobody picked Pocic or Senior. :eek:

Somewhat. Although really it had to do with Biegel is a LB which we need. Lawson is a DE which we didn't necessarily.

I have a feeling that Pocic is going to be a huge miss on my part. I think I just kind of had blinders on him throughout the process. But feel at this point pretty thrilled about the pick to be honest. Even if he doesn't start right away I'm not inclined to consider that a failure.

massari

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1uwyk04i said:
But feel at this point pretty thrilled about the pick to be honest.

Coming from someone like yourself, that's good to hear. :irishdrinkers:

I sort of thought it was a given Lawson would move to SAM if drafted by a 4-3 team ever since I read he'd be a perfect fit there with his size/speed and could still play DE in nickel situations, which is exactly what the Bengals are doing.

But I'm finding out making the shift to SLB isn't as simple as I thought, so now I'm seeing a bit more of why people would rather have Biegel.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
JerHawk81":7gtpuhvh said:
Fun!

Round 2, Pick 3 (No. 35 overall): Forrest Lamp | OG, Western Kentucky. With Robinson and King going in picks 33 and 34 - I figure I've pressed my luck as much as I dare, and I take Lamp. Note that I would have taken McDowell here based solely on his scouting reports, but I'm less of a fan of his film than virtually everyone else (but hey, what the hell do I know???)

Round 2, Pick 26 (No. 58): Chidobe Awuzie | CB, Colorado. I'd like to go DL here, but Awuzie is probably the best player available here, and is still at a position of need. I do like Pocic quite a bit, but I worry that he is a pretty pure C, and wouldn't have gone that direction.

Round 3, Pick 26 (No. 90): Shaquill Griffin | CB, UCF. The board fought me here. Again, I'd like to go DL, but the DL talent is pretty well picked over, and Griffin is my BPA (especially in our system). With Awuzie already selected, this is largely a luxury pick - but that's what trading down buys ya!

Round 3, Pick 31 (No. 95): Trey Hendrickson | DE, Florida Atlantic. I don't love Hendrickson, but I feel pretty pressured to add a pass-rusher to the DL. Hill is actually higher on my BPA list, but I can't justify 3 DBs in a row...

Round 3, Pick 38 (No. 102): Dorian Johnson | OG, Pittsburgh. I go back to the OL here, and get a player who probably has a legit shot at winning the LT battle. Granted, that says more about our LT situation than about Johnson as a player...

Round 3, Pick 42 (No. 106): Nazair Jones, DT, Tarholes. I didnt take him at 102, and he magically fell to 106! Yahoo!!!

Round 4, Pick 4 (No. 111): Tedric Thompson, S, Colorado. There is probably better value at WR, and I'd rather go OLB, but I can't pass up Thompson here - especially with Awuzie on board.

Round 6, Pick 3 (No. 187): Pita Taumoepenu | OLB, Utah. Not a great player, but an athletic OLB. Maybe too early for him, and maybe I'm forcing this a bit...

Round 6, Pick 26 (No. 210): Elijah Qualls | DT, Washington. Fun!

Round 7, Pick 8 (No. 226) David Moore, WR, East Central (Oklahoma). OK

Round 7, Pick 31 (No. 249) Christopher Carson, RB, Oklahoma State. But, I draft him to play OL.

It's worth noting that when it's all said and done, I think I prefer the actual draft to my draft. It's also really helpful to have all of those extra picks...

The start of week 1 is way too early to show my true genius, but so far, I'm basically keeping pace with the Hawks' actual picks.

Starters: 0
Players on Rosters: 8
Players on IR: 1

Round 2, Pick 3 (No. 35 overall): Forrest Lamp | IR after wonderful camp
Round 2, Pick 26 (No. 58): Chidobe Awuzie | CB, Colorado. Roster - non-starter. Pretty bad camp
Round 3, Pick 26 (No. 90): Shaquill Griffin | CB, UCF. Roster - Borderline starter (I think he loses out)
Round 3, Pick 31 (No. 95): Trey Hendrickson | DE, Florida Atlantic. Roster. Non-starter
Round 3, Pick 38 (No. 102): Dorian Johnson | OG, Pittsburgh. Cut - currently unemployed (ewwww)
Round 3, Pick 42 (No. 106): Nazair Jones, DT, Tarholes. Roster - strong camp
Round 4, Pick 4 (No. 111): Tedric Thompson, S, Colorado. Roster - after pretty weak camp.
Round 6, Pick 3 (No. 187): Pita Taumoepenu | OLB, Utah. Roster
Round 6, Pick 26 (No. 210): Elijah Qualls | DT, Washington. Roster - after strong camp
Round 7, Pick 8 (No. 226) David Moore, WR, East Central (Oklahoma). Cut (PS)
Round 7, Pick 31 (No. 249) Christopher Carson, RB, Oklahoma State. Roster - after strong camp

JerHawk81

Reaction score
Through one year, our front office has done slightly better than me. Here is how my draft performed through one season.

Round 2, Pick 3 (No. 35 overall): Forrest Lamp - LAR | IR after wonderful camp
Round 2, Pick 26 (No. 58): Chidobe Awuzie - Cowboys | CB, Colorado. Starter who finished the season strong.
Round 3, Pick 26 (No. 90): Shaquill Griffin - us | CB, UCF. Another starter who finished the season strong.
Round 3, Pick 31 (No. 95): Trey Hendrickson - Saints | DE, Florida Atlantic. Rotational Player who flashed this year.
Round 3, Pick 38 (No. 102): Dorian Johnson - Cardinals | OG, Pittsburgh. Practice squad player who has bounced around 3 practice squads (ewwww)
Round 3, Pick 42 (No. 106): Nazair Jones - us, DT, Tarholes. Rotational player who flashed well at times this year. 2 starts.
Round 4, Pick 4 (No. 111): Tedric Thompson - us, S, Colorado. Poor rookie showing. Still on roster for today.
Round 6, Pick 3 (No. 187): Pita Taumoepenu - SF | OLB, Utah. Another poor rookie showing. Barely on roster...
Round 6, Pick 26 (No. 210): Elijah Qualls - Eagles | DT, Washington. Poor rookie showing. Still on roster for today.
Round 7, Pick 8 (No. 226) David Moore - us WR, East Central (Oklahoma). Bounced between ps and roster
Round 7, Pick 31 (No. 249) Christopher Carson - us, RB, Oklahoma State. Roster - after strong camp