OL Althleticism

BlueTalon

Reaction score
hawknation2016":77px43dp said:
RAS is the average of every combine drill that corresponds to their percentile at a position group.

For example, a 9.02 RAS for Garry Gilliam means he is in the top 90.2% of offensive linemen in average combine drill.
That's not right. Gilliam's score was well above average. Being in the top 90% is another way of saying near the bottom 10%.

That said, I think the both article and the metrics are useless.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
BlueTalon":38v7iqok said:
hawknation2016":38v7iqok said:
RAS is the average of every combine drill that corresponds to their percentile at a position group.

For example, a 9.02 RAS for Garry Gilliam means he is in the top 90.2% of offensive linemen in average combine drill.
That's not right. Gilliam's score was well above average. Being in the top 90% is another way of saying near the bottom 10%.

That said, I think the both article and the metrics are useless.

Yes, I misstated that, but you knew what I meant. Gilliam was in the Top 9.8% of offensive linemen in average combine drill. He was BETTER than 90% of offensive linemen in average combine drill.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1qx5ro72 said:
Las week I saw an article in the Seattle Times sports section regarding the Seahawk OL. I believe in the article it was mentioned that Cable will play the 5 best guys. That's well and good but IMO, Cable has no clue in choosing the 5 best guys. If he chooses the 5 best guys like he did to start the last season....the Seahawks will be in major doo-doo. Cable's decisions regarding the OL have been mediocre at best. The Seahawk OL has been the weakest positon since he has been here and continues to be weak. It's not for the lack of focusing on the position either. They have focused on the position. It's the lack of who they deem to be "their guys" for the position. Choosing Britt in the 2nd when he's a FA at best is one of the stupid decisions and has Cable's fingerprints all over it. Seattle probably has 5 good lineman on the team among Odhiambo, Gilliam, Glow, Webb, Sowell, Ifedi, Lewis, but Cable won't play the best because some may not be his favorites. Just ridiculous.

Cable "Has No Clue", and you have a better grasp than a Pro O-Line Coach? that's sporting a SB ring......That's rich.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
scutterhawk":z37pyyts said:
hawkfan68":z37pyyts said:
Las week I saw an article in the Seattle Times sports section regarding the Seahawk OL. I believe in the article it was mentioned that Cable will play the 5 best guys. That's well and good but IMO, Cable has no clue in choosing the 5 best guys. If he chooses the 5 best guys like he did to start the last season....the Seahawks will be in major doo-doo. Cable's decisions regarding the OL have been mediocre at best. The Seahawk OL has been the weakest positon since he has been here and continues to be weak. It's not for the lack of focusing on the position either. They have focused on the position. It's the lack of who they deem to be "their guys" for the position. Choosing Britt in the 2nd when he's a FA at best is one of the stupid decisions and has Cable's fingerprints all over it. Seattle probably has 5 good lineman on the team among Odhiambo, Gilliam, Glow, Webb, Sowell, Ifedi, Lewis, but Cable won't play the best because some may not be his favorites. Just ridiculous.

Cable "Has No Clue", and you have a better grasp than a Pro O-Line Coach? that's sporting a SB ring......That's rich.
Thank you.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2kga5q1g said:
scutterhawk":2kga5q1g said:
hawkfan68":2kga5q1g said:

Thank you.

I completely understand fan's frustration with the O-Line. But the idea that Cable acts with complete autonomy with everything involving the O-Line is completely false.

All players drafted, all players that play, all players acquired are all done with the approval of Pete Carroll.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Basis4day":11ml5340 said:
Lords of Scythia":11ml5340 said:
scutterhawk":11ml5340 said:
hawkfan68":11ml5340 said:

Thank you.

I completely understand fan's frustration with the O-Line. But the idea that Cable acts with complete autonomy with everything involving the O-Line is completely false.

All players drafted, all players that play, all players acquired are all done with the approval of Pete Carroll.

I don't believe Cable acts with complete autonomy. I do believe he has a greater influence and input on the OL and the offense than many of you seem to believe he does. He's the Assistant Head Coach of the Offense. So he has a higher title than Bevell's OC designation. His choice of choosing Nowak over Lewis last season is a questionable move. These are the type of decision making I'm talking about. That's all I'm saying. I don't need to be an experienced OL coach to see which position group is the weakest on the Seahawks and has been since Cable has been here. I don't see much improvement there from the time Cable took over to now. He experiments too much in my opinion to the detriment of the team. This team was 4-5 last season. Most of those issues was because of a slow starting offense. Primarily because a QB had to run for his life every time the ball was snapped. That is, if the ball was snapped accurately to him.

Jville

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2jq67z8n said:

It sounds to me like your struggling with listening and understanding.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jville":gjv0dxig said:
hawkfan68":gjv0dxig said:

Seems to me that you're struggling with the words "opinion" and "message board" please look those up and then join the discussion.

Jville

Reaction score
hawkfan68":27f7elgq said:
Jville":27f7elgq said:
hawkfan68":27f7elgq said:

Seems to me that you're struggling with the words "opinion" and "message board" please look those up and then join the discussion.

Cable and Carroll have done an excellent job of making and keeping the team competitive. They very much know what they are doing. Their results are a testament to their excellence.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The Seahawks have given put all the salary into other positions than the oline. The thing about converting defensive players is because they're going cheap, there. This is finally changing. We're becoming a more offensive team for various reasons. The Cable-hating crap is just BS.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Cable's/Pete's decision to start Drew Nowak at C at the beginning of last season continues to be a complete head scratcher. May have cost us a game or games though we'll never know for sure. I'm not as big a fan of Lewis as many here, but he was and is far better than an untested rook like Nowak. And now this year we're seeing the same thing with Britt at C, a guy that has failed in 2 positions already. I think that kind of questionable decision making makes people's criticism of Cable reasonable, or at the very least, understandable

Basis4day

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":37phqlil said:
Cable's/Pete's decision to start Drew Nowak at C at the beginning of last season continues to be a complete head scratcher. May have cost us a game or games though we'll never know for sure. I'm not as big a fan of Lewis as many here, but he was and is far better than an untested rook like Nowak. And now this year we're seeing the same thing with Britt at C, a guy that has failed in 2 positions already. I think that kind of questionable decision making makes people's criticism of Cable reasonable, or at the very least, understandable

The difference in your phrasing at the beginning of your post and the end is a good summary of my issue with Cable criticism.

grizbob

Reaction score
You people do realize without Cable there would have been no Championship don't you?

If not for his coaching/teaching style IMO we would not have overcome all the injuries to the O-line.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":27a7i8u7 said:

That criticism is simplistic and overplayed. Nowak played fine for a first time starter at center and didn't cost us any games. I sometimes see the St. Louis game, for example, blamed on him, but in reality he didn't yield a single pressure in that game. Britt, Gilliam, and Sweezy played terribly, which is what happens when you are starting new players at new positions against the best pass rush in the NFL. Nowak's pass pro was generally decent, except in the win over Cincinatti, which was the impetus for the change to Lewis. Lewis was the more experienced center, better run blocker, and mostly better snapper, though he had his own share of bad snaps. Novak was mostly better in pass pro. I'm excited to see Hunt in action during training camp. He could develop into an all-around center.

Jville

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":34hz2liy said:

Tom Cable certainly does not view Justin Britt as a failure.

Alvin Bailey was their plan A replacement for James Carpenter at left guard. But he lost the job he was penciled in for because he failed to report to training camp in proper condition ..... again. Bailey is now gone.

Terry Poole was drafted as a plan B replacement for James Carpenter at left guard. But he also failed to report to training camp in proper condition. The reason Poole is back this year is because he became a believer in reporting to OTA's in proper shape. Poole is also credited with having matured .... a lot.

Plan C became an exercise in getting the best 5 linemen on the field. Gary Gilliam was promoted to starting right tackle and the versatile Justin Britt was moved to left guard to make room. The best 5 linemen will likely draw starting roles again this year.

I was intrigued with Patrick Lewis in 2014. But, I clearly understood why they started the season with Drew Nowak. The change at center was one of a number of mid season changes that led to better results. I thought Lewis moved better upon his return at mid season than he did earlier in preseason. And, Cable acknowledged that Lewis returned to the line up with better command of line calls. Never the less, center appears to be drawing a lot of attention again this year. And again, we see two single position candidates included in the competition at center in a system that prefers multi positional candidates.

Cable typically explores options during OTAs. We see this every year. It will continue on into training camp. After all, the goal is to identify the best 5 starting Seahawk linemen.

Basis4day

Reaction score
There are also probably only like 3 teams with what you'd call good o-lines. That speaks to the quality of the players themselves rather than coaching. Look at the contracts ex-Seahawks lineman are getting.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Basis4day":azmvpead said:
hawksfansinceday1":azmvpead said:

The difference in your phrasing at the beginning of your post and the end is a good summary of my issue with Cable criticism.
Should've said Cable/Pete indeed cuz Cable doesn't make decisions in a vacuum. My bad.
To the rest of you, I'm not saying get rid of Tom at all. Just saying the Nowak/Lewis thing made no sense. Hell, if Nowak was at all good, why was he cut? As others have mentioned, now with Britt at C this year, it seems like Lewis is no more than a fallback guy. And maybe that's his talent level. But I'm VERY skeptical Britt will be any better. Here's hoping Hunt takes the job and is a better than either of the other two.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The center position is a lot more complicated than some of you guys think. The c has to read the defense, spot blitzes, make o-line audibles for pass protect, snap the ball correctly, THEN he gets up and starts blocking. If you don't have a substantial understand/background in football, then you really have no idea what you're talking about when you're assessing whether a player is performing at the center position.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":x8n0t94h said:
The center position is a lot more complicated than some of you guys think. The c has to read the defense, spot blitzes, make o-line audibles for pass protect, snap the ball correctly, THEN he gets up and starts blocking. If you don't have a substantial understand/background in football, then you really have no idea what you're talking about when you're assessing whether a player is performing at the center position.

Which based on Britt's production thus far, makes the decision to convert him to center even more questionable. Furthermore, they already tried an experiment at center last season and it failed miserably. Now they are trying this again...thus the reason for the criticism. Hopefully Britt experiment becomes a success but based on the track record so far I'm not betting on it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":rg8vystp said:
Yep^......Nowak seemed to have checked nearly all the boxes, and therefore warranted a little more time to gather it all in, and just playing him for one or two games would have been dumb, because if he could have put all the pieces together, the Center position would have been great, and thus, would have allowed for Cable to focus more on the rest of the O-line.
The Seahawks have redoubled their efforts, and brought in a couple more candidates to compete for the anchor job....It's obvious (to me at least), that they are going to do whatever it takes to solidify the Center position.
'Saying' that you get IT ain't 'Showing' that you get IT...Nowak had all the physical tools, just wasn't mentally up to the task.