OL observations and other thoughts

kearly

Reaction score
I gave my initial thoughts in SCSis's thread. I rewatched the game just now focusing particularly on the OL and DL. Here are some of the things my eyes saw, maybe your eyes saw differently, but here goes my 2 cents:

OL

Bradley Sowell was once ranked as the worst tackle in the NFL by PFF. In the first couple of drives from this game, he looked the part. He simply had no answer for the spin move. He was a matador. He even whiffed on some run blocks early. However, after a brutal start he eventually settled down against Griffen and controlled the 2nd quarter pretty well. He also had some solid run blocking as the game went along and looked surprisingly decent going to the 2nd level.

I don't want to overstate things, but but... ah screw it. Mark Glowinsky is starting to look like he might be as big of a steal in the 2015 draft as Tyler Lockett was. He had some monster run blocks for the 2nd week in a row. He looks strong at the point of attack and moves well to the second level. In protection he was rock solid and always seemed to handle things without breaking a sweat or ceding more ground than necessary. Glowinsky played RG in college but so far he looks even more natural at LG than he did at RG. If there is one Seahawks OL who looks like a pro-bowler, it's Glowinsky.

Britt improved on his week 1 performance by continuing to stay strong at the point of attack in the run game while moving well to the second level and being reasonably stout against the bullrush. The Vikings blitzed often but did so mostly with outside overload and corner blitzes, rather than with stunts. Britt struggled badly with stunts in 2015 and had some issues with stunts last week, but the Vikings seemed to avoid running them which helped make Britt look good this week. I still want to see him pick up 10 stunts in a row before I jump on the hype train, but I do like the run blocking element he adds for sure. As far as his height, I'm not TOO worried about it. Max Unger was 6'5" and Wilson did fine.

Ifedi had the worst technique of the five starters by far but generally avoided big mistakes. He looked athletic going to the 2nd level and flashed power at times. He wasn't tested much in protection which is probably a good thing. Overall he looked pretty mediocre. Tools wise he is like Okung, tons of room to grow.

As was the case last season, Gilliam struggled to generate push on one on one blocks, and on at least one occasion I saw him essentially give up on run blocking on a running play, content to stand still hugging his assignment with no leg churn at all. It's preseason, but I'd really like to know why this kind of effort doesn't get him in Tom Cable's doghouse. Protection-wise, Gilliam is okay but will probably be exposed against elite pass rushers. Gilliam's lack of nastiness and core strength makes him a poor fit for RT, IMO. I really hope Webb can make it back and be decent, because Gilliam feels like a placeholder there. Gilliam's not terrible, but he's not helping much either. He's Tyler Polumbus-lite.

George Fant is probably playing for a practice squad spot. He's very much the Konz of the OL. Even moreso than Sokoli.

I still can't understand why Seattle drafted Rees Odhiambo in the 3rd round. He looks like a camp body out there.

When John Moffitt was a Seahawk, he was never as bad as his rep. He had fringe NFL tools and never dominated anyone, but he was a technician who was really good at just barely making key blocks that set up rushing TDs by Marshawn Lynch. In protection he was bad, but not awful, IMO. In other words, he was a backup caliber player, and if not for the off-field / motivational issues and the headaches, he'd probably still be playing in the NFL today.

I bring this up because I don't see a John Moffitt comp as a total slam, especially not for an undersized rookie. And so far, Joey Hunt is giving me John Moffitt vibes. He has great technique, but he is physically at his limits to just get by at times. It's hard for me to envision him as a starter on a good OL, but as a backup, I'm happy with how he's played so far. I wouldn't keep him over Patrick Lewis, but I wouldn't mind keeping him as a 3rd center either.

Jahri Evans looks slow and surprisingly small. He had one nice drive block but also whiffed badly on a RB screen block that should have been automatic. Don't be surprised if he gets cut.

Terry Poole has been a bit of a sleeper this preseason. He's looked competent in both the run game and in protection. Competent, not great. But still, competent is probably good enough to make the 53 man this year.

DL

Tony McDaniel didn't play a ton but still managed 3 impact plays. Hopefully he can still look that good against starters.

Frank Clark had a solid but somewhat quiet game. His sack was really more on the QB than on Clark. He had 4 tackles and 1 hustle TFL to go with a couple of pressures. That sounds like he had a great game, but I still feel like he's too much of a non-factor on too many snaps to view him as a 2016 difference maker. Ideally you'd like your future at pass rusher to be worth more than a few pressures a game. He's not the constant disruptive force that Michael Bennett is or that Frank Clark himself was in the 2015 preseason. Avril was also a non-factor. Though in fairness to both players, the Vikings QBs rarely held the football long enough for the pass rush to factor.

DT Tylor Harris displayed some monster power during a late game series, but then quickly seemed to disappear after that. Must be the kind of player who's motor runs hot and cold. But for a few plays, he was definitely worth being noticed.

Jarran Reed improved from his week one performance. He was a bit more aggressive this time attacking gaps and trying to get into the backfield.

Other thoughts

I feel a lot less negative about the team after rewatching the game. Seattle's 1st string team moved the ball much better than the Vikings did. Yes, the vikings were without AP and Bridgewater, but Shaun Hill is a borderline starter level QB IMO and he played a very sharp game.

The Vikings really only had two good drives in the entire game. Both of them came with several Seahawks starters being out of the defense. Shaun Hill trusted his pocket enough to stay in it while delivering perfectly aimed strikes down the field and to safety valves. The key play on their TD drive was taking advantage of the Seahawks "switchoff" point when the MLB passes the TE off to a safety. Remember how Cincy abused Seattle with this play last season? Well, Minnesota noticed. Seattle seemed to clean up this issue after the TD drive. The 2nd good drive was aided by penalties and a prevent defense. It resulted in 3 points.

Did Tye Smith really add weight this offseason? He still looks like a string bean out there.

I liked how confident Boykins was. He made some mistakes on that last drive, but still, I liked how he seemed to completely push the pick six out of his mind and simply go for the win. He has that same "never say die" mentality that Russell has. Given that Boykins has played so much already, you have to wonder if Seattle has already decided on him as the #2 QB and is just trying to get him game reps at this point.

Kevin Pierre Lewis still stinks. He might make the roster though, our linebacker group after Wagner and Wright looks awful.

Tyvis Powell played but had minimal impact. He's back on the roster bubble.

Most of the sacks came on corner blitzes and overloading one side. I don't think there was any sack that I would put most of the blame on the OL for. The QB has to diagnose or at least get rid of the football. Blitz pickup in the backfield was a huge issue as well. Collins, Brooks, and Pope all struggled with blitz pickup.

Pope had a great game running the football, though he whiffed on a blitz pickup that directly contributed to the game losing pick-six.

Michael's one catch at WR was a thing of beauty.

I really hope this is Luke Willson's last year here. The guy can't block much, and he can't catch.

Shead looked pretty good in this game, as did the rest of the corners. That's a contributing factor for why the Vikings QBs were picking on our LBs so much.

On Collins' botched 4th and 1 run, the Vikings defense showed zero respect for his speed, crashing the safety down instead of containing the outside. Had Rawls, Michael, or Pope taken that handoff with the same defensive look and with the safety crashing down, they could have bounced outside for a 50 yard touchdown. There was nobody there.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Thank you for this, Kearly. I love, love, LOVE reading your write-ups, and enjoy your take on the state of the team.

There's also something about reading your thoughts, which is akin to listening to Morgan Freeman's voice. It's reassuring.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Good stuff! Especially since it covered OL, haha! Maybe Britt will pickup the stunts better now that he's at a position he seems more comfortable with. We can only hope. Tards games could get really ugly if he doesn't square that away.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
The biggest thing I've taken away from the OL so far is they look like the perfect Pete OL. Mediocre pass protectors but man there are some HUGE holes in the running game. If Rawls stays healthy all season and gets 20 carries a game, he could break Shaun's single season record for yards by a Hawks RB. I mean I saw holes opening left and right behind this monster interior OL so big, that Lynch is probably thinking about coming out of retirement.

If the only sacks we have to worry about are blitzes and DE's running around the edge, I'll take that. Wilson has shown an ability to punish those types of DL in the past and I expect he will again.

Tical21

Reaction score
At this point, if you had to rank the top-10 NFL centers, does Britt make your list?

rjdriver

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":24bf0brp said:
The biggest thing I've taken away from the OL so far is they look like the perfect Pete OL. Mediocre pass protectors but man there are some HUGE holes in the running game. If Rawls stays healthy all season and gets 20 carries a game, he could break Shaun's single season record for yards by a Hawks RB. I mean I saw holes opening left and right behind this monster interior OL so big, that Lynch is probably thinking about coming out of retirement.

If the only sacks we have to worry about are blitzes and DE's running around the edge, I'll take that. Wilson has shown an ability to punish those types of DL in the past and I expect he will again.

Atta Boy! I love the optimism. GO HAWKS !

But....

Think about what you just wrote. Shaun was an incredibly gifted, fast, strong, elusive MVP who ran in his prime sans injuries behind Jones, Tobeck, Gray , Loclear, and the one who won't be mentioned. That's an MVP running behind 2 decently good o' lineman, and 3 pro bowlers of which two will reside eternally in Canton. The same two being arguably the best at their position ever.

Shaun ran for 1880 yards in 05', which today is the 11th all time most yards a Running Back has ever put up in a single season. There is no way Rawls, coming off that injury with this line, will come close. I don't care how much improved they are.

I cursed at Shaun more than anyone near the end, but he was a Baaaaaaad man in his prime.

I can't wait to eat crowe everydaimrusselin , hope you're right. !

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
rjdriver":2vqtsknw said:
EverydayImRusselin":2vqtsknw said:

But....

Think about what you just wrote. Shaun was an incredibly gifted, fast, strong, elusive MVP who ran in his prime sans injuries behind Jones, Tobeck, Gray , Loclear, and the one who won't be mentioned. That's an MVP running behind 2 decently good o' lineman, and 3 pro bowlers of which two will reside eternally in Canton. The same two being arguably the best at their position ever.

Shaun ran for 1880 yards in 05', which today is the 11th all time most yards a Running Back has ever put up in a single season. There is no way Rawls, coming off that injury with this line, will come close. I don't care how much improved they are.

I cursed at Shaun more than anyone near the end, but he was a Baaaaaaad man in his prime.

Rawls has the best vision of any Seahawks running back I've seen since Alexander. It may not be quite as good as Shaun's, but it's really good. He literally, if he stays healthy could threaten that single-season record in my opinion. He probably won't because I think he and Michael will split time a lot, but I think healthier Rawls could be close. He's quicker but probably not as strong as Shaun was.

Thank you ever so much Kip for a great recap last night's game. Sounds like the.o-line is well ahead of where they were last year. Very good news.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":r3mxgrxq said:
rjdriver":r3mxgrxq said:
EverydayImRusselin":r3mxgrxq said:

But....

Rawls has the best vision of any Seahawks running back I've seen since Alexander. It may not be quite as good as Shaun's, but it's really good. He literally, if he stays healthy could threaten that single-season record in my opinion. He probably won't because I think he and Michael will split time a lot, but I think healthier Rawls could be close. He's quicker but probably not as strong as Shaun was.

Thank you ever so much Kip for a great recap last night's game. Sounds like the.o-line is well ahead of where they were last year. Very good news.

Yep, this sums up what I think could happen. IF (and it's a big if, with any RB) he stays healthy and gets 20 carries a game (320 for the year), I think he could do it. Take last years YPC and he's basically right there at those carries. I don't think he will get that many with Cmike killing it though.

But damn, those holes by the OL are insane. Cmike should have had 100 yds of he didn't slip a few times yesterday. Rawls showed incredible vision and burst last year, and with the holes he might get, look out.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":17z9omc6 said:
At this point, if you had to rank the top-10 NFL centers, does Britt make your list?

It might be fair to say that he is a top ten run blocker at center. The rest, I would say the jury is out.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kearly":2sfq6p8h said:
I don't want to overstate things, but but... ah screw it. ... If there is one Seahawks OL who looks like a pro-bowler, it's Glowinsky.

Now you've done it, Kip. I'm Glow-stoked.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
rjdriver":l9mau5zp said:
EverydayImRusselin":l9mau5zp said:

But....

If Rawls stays healthy, he has a crack at it. It all depends on how the reps are split. Look at the YPC these guys getting. That coupled with the possibility that we may have to lean heavily on the run for at least half a season.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Willson is know for an easy drop here and there, but usually catches the really difficult ones, oddly enough. As for his blocking, watch Michael's two first runs.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/seattle-seaha ... son-Week-2

I think we often relate one thing to another when they really don't have a lot to do with one another. Willson, despite William's recent praise for his blocking, is still the best drive blocker at TE that we have, IMO. He can blow a LB out of a gap most times. I will say that he's not the niftiest at locking on to a defender when in space and will sometimes whif, which is fairly normal, but when he's in-line with a defender right across from him, he'll even win against some DEs. He's actually quite a powerful football player.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I was overall pleased with the run blocking, as they got 186 on the ground with various backs.
If this last game was a regular season game I could see the Hawks running the ball until the Vikes could stop it which they couldn't and the results would have resulted in a Seattle win, especially with the Rawls and C-Mike combo.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
vin.couve12":389rhkh1 said:
Willson is know for an easy drop here and there, but usually catches the really difficult ones, oddly enough. As for his blocking, watch Michael's two first runs.

I think we often relate one thing to another when they really don't have a lot to do with one another. Willson, despite William's recent praise for his blocking, is still the best drive blocker at TE that we have, IMO. He can blow a LB out of a gap most times. I will say that he's not the niftiest at locking on to a defender when in space and will sometimes whif, which is fairly normal, but when he's in-line with a defender right across from him, he'll even win against some DEs. He's actually quite a powerful football player.

I agree. The comment about Willson in the OP is too harsh. He continues to make improvement as a blocker.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3jrghe5e said:

I consider him a bad blocker on the whole though because his pass blocking is worse than his run blocking is good, and unfortunately Seattle has used him in pass blocking a lot more than they should have in the past. I studied Luke Willson before the 2013 draft and he was the same blocker then that he is now. I'm not seeing improvement, though in fairness if Seattle decides to never use Willson as a pass blocker again I could certainly live with his run blocking.

Does Willson catch the tough ones? In my observation he has always seemed to drop the vast majority of throws that aren't put right on him, which has very much been the case this preseason. To be fair, if a pass is off the mark I don't always expect a catch, but when our QB rushes a pass to Willson and needs Willson to adjust to the ball or utilize catch radius to help the QB out, it's rarely a happy result. He does less to help his QB than pretty much anyone else in the receiving group who's a roster lock, IMO.

Wilson did significantly improve his drop rate last season, from abysmal in 2014 (10%) to slightly below average (3.9%) in 2015, though I have no reason to think his technique improved. He kind of jabs at the football like his hands are chopsticks.

The other thing that annoys me about Willson, and maybe this is more on Bevell, but the ONE thing Willson does that could make him special is run fast, and it seems like the Seahawks only take advantage of that speed maybe once or twice a season. I would really like to see him running more go routes when getting matched up with a LB. We've seen a few games where Seattle exploited Willson's speed and they made him look like a superstar in those games.

It's a bit disappointing but I haven't seen as much of Nick Vannett this preseason as I would like. I wonder if they are keeping his snaps low to protect him? When I have seen him, he's looked good.

It's too bad that Brandon Williams has looked bad as a receiver so far, I love the bulk he adds to our TE group.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
kearly":3924o0uv said:
vin.couve12":3924o0uv said:

I consider him a bad blocker on the whole though because his pass blocking is worse than his run blocking is good, and unfortunately Seattle has used him in pass blocking a lot more than they should have in the past. I studied Luke Willson before the 2013 draft and he was the same blocker then that he is now. I'm not seeing improvement, though in fairness if Seattle decides to never use Willson as a pass blocker again I could certainly live with his run blocking.

Does Willson catch the tough ones? In my observation he has always seemed to drop the vast majority of throws that aren't put right on him, which has very much been the case this preseason. To be fair, if a pass is off the mark I don't always expect a catch, but when our QB rushes a pass to Willson and needs Willson to adjust to the ball or utilize catch radius to help the QB out, it's rarely a happy result. He does less to help his QB than pretty much anyone else in the receiving group who's a roster lock, IMO.

In fairness to Willson, he did significantly improve his drop rate last season, for abysmal in 2014 to slightly below average in 2015.

The other thing that annoys me about Willson, and maybe this is more on Bevell, but the ONE thing Willson does that could make him special is run fast, and it seems like the Seahawks only take advantage of that speed maybe once or twice a season. I would really like to see him running more go routes when getting matched up with a LB.

It's a bit disappointing but I haven't seen as much of Nick Vannett this preseason as I would like. I wonder if they are keeping his snaps low to protect him? When I have seen him, he's looked good.

It's too bad that Brandon Williams has looked bad as a receiver, I love the bulk he adds to our TE group.

What I see when I see Wilson go up for a catch is weak hands. Any disruption at all and he loses the ball. He could compensate for some of this with body control but that unfortunately appears to also be an area of weakness.

I gave 9er fans a bad time for Baalke moving up ahead of us to take Vance McDonald (in the second round) from the same school telling them they got the wrong guy and McDonald has looked worse than Willson until last last year when Gabbert took over and now really looks like he is coming into his own.

In hind sight I now think that Baalke actually got it right and we were targeting McDonald as a Miller clone. His struggles since joining the 9ers have I believe, had more to do with a rookie learning curve compounded by a QB that only throws the ball 90 miles an hour. Now with a different QB with a semblance of touch, I believe McDonald will gain confidence and look like the guy many expected him to be 4 years ago.

The good news is Baalke sucks as resigning his own players and it would be no surprise if Vance decides to take of in FA. I would be interested in stealing him away at this point.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
kearly":27i2lken said:

To be fair, he has only been targeted twice this preseason. The first one was basically uncatchable (low and outside).

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Of course. And to be clear I'm not counting tough catch opportunities as drops. Just saying that he's not a guy that's ever been all that great at tough catches. And statistically, he has struggled with drop rate for his career and it was a knock on him coming out of college as well.

Tical21

Reaction score
Luke Willson has such terrible film that I honestly can't believe he is still in the league.

This was the first time I've ever watched Gilliam. He is a better run blocker than I thought.

Million dollar question, can we win big with one of the worst LT's in the league?