O'line. Two holes to fill.

McGruff

Reaction score
Seafan":1qp0m7bk said:
Twice in the last two days Schneider has said they liked a couple young guys on the roster. They may not sign or draft anyone.

They will always add to the pile.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
1906: St. Louis University's Bradbury Robinson throws the first pass in the game of football, revolutionizing the game forever.

2015: Seattle Seahawks' Pete Carroll develops a formation that does not necessitate the use of an offensive line, revolutionizing the game forever.

I have no idea what they're doing with the offensive line, but it's sure gonna be something!

McGruff

Reaction score
LT Russell Okung
LG Alvin Bailey CJ Davis Nate Isles Drew Novak
C Patrick Lewis Jared Wheeler
RG J.R. Sweezy Keavon Milton Justin Renfrow
RT Justin Britt Garry Gilliam

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
McGruff":2qjp7jup said:
LT Russell Okung

ugh. that honestly looks very, very underwhelming :roll: . im really hoping we find a good, road-grading LG before the season starts. i don't want alvin starting- his best attribute right now is his versatility off the bench... and unless he becomes a monster in the offseason, he should stay as the 6th man off the bench.

McGruff

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":1h2b7fgj said:
McGruff":1h2b7fgj said:
LT Russell Okung

ugh. that honestly looks very, very underwhelming :roll: . im really hoping we find a good, road-grading LG before the season starts. i don't want alvin starting- his best attribute right now is his versatility off the bench... and unless he becomes a monster in the offseason, he should stay as the 6th man off the bench.

The entire back half of the Oline roster is guys I have never heard of, and I consider myself a fairly knowledgable Seahawks fan. Gilliams I know. Isles I remember hearing good things about . . . after that its a blank . . .

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1wv2xh1p said:
Kind of sucked anyway. Not too sad about losing two of them (although losing a duck hurts). I expect at least one veteran signing and a couple of draft picks. Luckily our qb and our rb are the best in the league at masking o'line deficiencies.

See it this way as well. Hedge against injury/slow development while adding new components to develop during season and for next year.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1n29biaz said:
Sailor is convinced that Unger was the only bright spot on the entire O-line. Clearly, that's why we went 6-10 last season (6 games started with an O-line, 10 clearly only with cardboard cutouts).

No, but it's definitely the weakest link on our team. It was one of the weakest in the entire NFL last year. And with the holes we've now punched in it, we'd better hope for several solid starters out of the draft, or we're going to see Wilson scrambling, ducking, running, and chucking the ball out of bounds rather than to his star tight end.

Offensive line has been a concern for several years now. We've addressed it here and there, and done just enough to get us by. We're lucky that we have a stellar defense that bails us out almost every time. We're lucky we have the toughest running back who punches through whatever holes the offense does or does not open for him. We're lucky we have a great quarterback that somehow finds a way to either get the ball down field, throw it away, or improvise and run.

PC and JS have shown us before they can blow a unit up and start over with fantastic results. I'm hoping this year with the offensive line will be one more example of that.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
It is actually 3 holes to fill. This is Okung's last year of his contract as well and either we pay him after this season or we will have to replace LT, so making sure we have talent developing is going to be a priority.

To provide options, I see that we will have to make a big splash in OL during this draft. Either our 2nd or 3rd round pick will most likely have to be one and I'm sure we'll take a 4/5th round pick as well. 3 of our total picks this year could end up being on the offensive line.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2865c7v8 said:
volsunghawk":2865c7v8 said:
Sailor is convinced that Unger was the only bright spot on the entire O-line. Clearly, that's why we went 6-10 last season (6 games started with an O-line, 10 clearly only with cardboard cutouts).

No, but it's definitely the weakest link on our team. It was one of the weakest in the entire NFL last year. And with the holes we've now punched in it, we'd better hope for several solid starters out of the draft, or we're going to see Wilson scrambling, ducking, running, and chucking the ball out of bounds rather than to his star tight end.

Offensive line has been a concern for several years now. We've addressed it here and there, and done just enough to get us by. We're lucky that we have a stellar defense that bails us out almost every time. We're lucky we have the toughest running back who punches through whatever holes the offense does or does not open for him. We're lucky we have a great quarterback that somehow finds a way to either get the ball down field, throw it away, or improvise and run.

PC and JS have shown us before they can blow a unit up and start over with fantastic results. I'm hoping this year with the offensive line will be one more example of that.

And we have 11 picks in the draft plus free agency to attempt to do that. 10 of those picks are exactly the same as they were prior to the trade. The other one dropped approximately 75 spots.

Now, instead of needing to use one of those picks to secure another weapon for Wilson, it can be used to find another O-lineman.

But have you entertained the possibility that part of why Wilson scrambles and improvises so much is that our offensive weapons simply aren't good enough? Maybe it's not entirely a function of the O-line. It's not like Wilson has his choice of guys running free and just doesn't have time to get the ball to them. How many times do we see the O-line trying to pass protect for 7-8 seconds because Wilson can't find anyone to throw to until coverage breaks down so badly that Baldwin finally comes open 35 yards downfield? What if - and I realize this is a radical idea - the addition of a playmaking TE who doesn't need to be "open" in the traditional sense to get the ball makes it easier for Wilson to find a target? You're looking at the scrambling as a function of the O-line being awful as pass protecting. What if that condemnation of the O-line is actually due in part to WRs and TEs being awful at getting separation?

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
Largent80":1j1w7mj2 said:
The O-Line was so weak, it made Bevell think he had to get cute with a slant pass instead of punching it in from the one yard line. Yup...big problem.

Fixed that for you.

Just because we've done exceptionally well in all other areas doesn't mean there isn't a glaring problem with the line. It's been the source of its fair share of failure. Unless... perhaps you don't see it as a liability?

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3p6lsr43 said:
Seahawk Sailor":3p6lsr43 said:

And we have 11 picks in the draft plus free agency to attempt to do that. 10 of those picks are exactly the same as they were prior to the trade. The other one dropped approximately 75 spots.

That's one aspect of things that makes me very happy. Unfortunately it has little to do with any offensive weapons we have acquired recently, save that PC and JS may be a bit more trigger-happy on draft picks for players knowing they have more to spare. Kind of like how one finds it easier to spend money with a fat wallet than the day before a payday when you're scrimping for cash. Just because you have the money/draft picks to spend doesn't mean you're not overpaying when you spend them.

As far as targets vs. offensive line goes, well, that's a whole 'nuther topic, and one that isn't very easily explained or evaluated. We'll see. But I'd be far more comfortable with a better line. Would have been last year, too.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
Word on the street is that Max only plans on playing another couple years, then is going to tend cattle at the family ranch on Kona.

My source: user name "box car" with 19 posts on the Times forum:

http://forums.seattletimes.com/forums/v ... 7&start=30

I see that he went to the same high school that Kenny Mayne and I attended, so I will vouch for his credibility.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1sn1juvc said:
Seahawk Sailor":1sn1juvc said:
volsunghawk":1sn1juvc said:

Now, instead of needing to use one of those picks to secure another weapon for Wilson, it can be used to find another O-lineman.

But have you entertained the possibility that part of why Wilson scrambles and improvises so much is that our offensive weapons simply aren't good enough? Maybe it's not entirely a function of the O-line. It's not like Wilson has his choice of guys running free and just doesn't have time to get the ball to them. How many times do we see the O-line trying to pass protect for 7-8 seconds because Wilson can't find anyone to throw to until coverage breaks down so badly that Baldwin finally comes open 35 yards downfield? What if - and I realize this is a radical idea - the addition of a playmaking TE who doesn't need to be "open" in the traditional sense to get the ball makes it easier for Wilson to find a target? You're looking at the scrambling as a function of the O-line being awful as pass protecting. What if that condemnation of the O-line is actually due in part to WRs and TEs being awful at getting separation?

Our O-line is exactly what they drafted. Maulers who pass block kinda bad. I kind of doubt their preference for that type changes. Wilson holding the ball longer than almost all others clearly does not help.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Largent80":3h1fljju said:
The O-Line was so weak, it made it to consecutive super bowls. Yup...big problem.
Yep and how will we ever replace a player we've already had to replace because he's missed 13 games in the past 2 seasons?!

Largent80

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":7pq9ci4p said:
Largent80":7pq9ci4p said:
The O-Line was so weak, it made Bevell think he had to get cute with a slant pass instead of punching it in from the one yard line. Yup...big problem.

Fixed that for you.

Just because we've done exceptionally well in all other areas doesn't mean there isn't a glaring problem with the line. It's been the source of its fair share of failure. Unless... perhaps you don't see it as a liability?

You didn't "fix" it, you ruined it because what I said was a LOT different.

"The O-Line was so weak, it made it to consecutive super bowls. Yup...big problem."

I see the same thing as the last 5 years. we are NOT going to have a "perfect" o-line in this regime.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":35lk7i65 said:
volsunghawk":35lk7i65 said:
Seahawk Sailor":35lk7i65 said:
volsunghawk":35lk7i65 said:

Our O-line is exactly what they drafted. Maulers who pass block kinda bad. I kind of doubt their preference for that type changes. Wilson holding the ball longer than almost all others clearly does not help.

And if their preference doesn't change when it comes to O-linemen, then I fail to see how the draft compensation associated with the Graham/Unger trade impacts anything. If they're going to continue to stockpile the same kind of O-linemen, then something else will need to change to prevent sacks and bolster the passing game. The only two things I can think of, then, are Wilson getting the ball out quicker and our offensive weapons doing a better job of getting open and finding holes in the defense. Graham helps in that regard.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
volsunghawk":lcu59f2v said:
Scottemojo":lcu59f2v said:
volsunghawk":lcu59f2v said:
Seahawk Sailor":lcu59f2v said:

And if their preference doesn't change when it comes to O-linemen, then I fail to see how the draft compensation associated with the Graham/Unger trade impacts anything. If they're going to continue to stockpile the same kind of O-linemen, then something else will need to change to prevent sacks and bolster the passing game. The only two things I can think of, then, are Wilson getting the ball out quicker and our offensive weapons doing a better job of getting open and finding holes in the defense. Graham helps in that regard.
Potentially, he helps. Still will be on the OC to use him well and change the offense to match his strengths and hide his deficits.

Latest posts