On the brink - St Louis Rams Article

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Rex,

Please stop. I've been lurking here a bit longer than you, and your posts constantly derail thread topics. It's hard to have a realistic debate with you.

Rex

Reaction score
Ramfan128":elnalf4e said:
Rex,

Please stop. I've been lurking here a bit longer than you, and your posts constantly derail thread topics. It's hard to have a realistic debate with you.

That is your opinion. One which I do not agree with and should have been given me via PM. How do you know how long I've been lurking here since I joined before you? Realistic debate? What is unrealistic is claiming fact for future performance based upon past facts that are no longer relevant.

Current facts:

Starting QB, check
Quality WRs, check
Quality RB, check
Continuity at DC, check
Improved D line and depth, check
Improved LB corps, check

This Rams team is IMPROVED.

ClutchDJ

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3gjo5lr2 said:
Very good article.

I'm worried about the Oline against the Seahawks, but not for the rest of the season. The two rookies that will be starting were 4 year players in college, and both played in pro style-esque offenses. The C position scares me a bit though.

Even if our offense "plays up to its potential", that's only good enough to score 17 points against Seattle's D....and that's factoring in the game being at home and the first game of the season.

It's interesting - I expect the offense to be a work in progress....so I'm actually much more worried about the defense. Preseason is preseason, I get it....but our game against the Raiders wasn't good....and it was the Raiders...

I would be surprised if the Rams beat the Seahawks in week 1. We notoriously start slow on defense, and our offense is a big work in progress. I'm hoping we can go 2-3 in our first 5 games, and then take off after the bye week. The Schedule softens up a bit after the bye. But to get to my prediction of 10 wins, it's going to take a lot...

SEA - L
@WAS - W
PIT - W
@AZ - L
@GB - L

CLE - W
SF - W
@MIN - L
CHI - W
@BAL - L
@CIN - W
AZ - W
DET - W
TB - W
@SEA - L
@SF - W

I feel like we should sweep the Cardinals, but I feel like that every year.

Hmmm, why do you think that?
I would say we match up better with guys more than any other team in the division if anything.

Rex

Reaction score
ClutchDJ":2yum9xec said:
Rex is hilarious.

Can't forget intelligent, faithful, good looking and prescient. :th2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
Rex":3w3yymjb said:
Ramfan128":3w3yymjb said:
Rex,

That is your opinion. One which I do not agree with and should have been given me via PM. How do you know how long I've been lurking here since I joined before you? Realistic debate? What is unrealistic is claiming fact for future performance based upon past facts that are no longer relevant.

Current facts:

Starting QB, check
Quality WRs, check
Quality RB, check
Continuity at DC, check
Improved LB corps, check

Offensive line still in disarray, Check
Negates item 1 - 3

Item 4 means that more Rams will be suspended this year for unsportsmenlike penalties,

Jeff Fisher is last item - Enough said.

Rex

Reaction score
chris98251":21byrn3u said:
Rex":21byrn3u said:
Ramfan128":21byrn3u said:
Rex,

Current facts:

Starting QB, check
Quality WRs, check
Quality RB, check
Continuity at DC, check
Improved LB corps, check

Negates item 1 - 3

Item 4 means that more Rams will be suspended this year for unsportsmenlike penalties,

Are items 1-3 relevant for the Seahawks with their O line?
What about Bevell as OC?

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Rex":m1basond said:
Ramfan128":m1basond said:
Rex,

Current facts:

Starting QB, check
Quality WRs, check
Quality RB, check
Continuity at DC, check
Improved LB corps, check

You're right, I apologize.

I also think the Rams are improved.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
ClutchDJ":1r1sxgb2 said:
Ramfan128":1r1sxgb2 said:
Very good article.

I'm worried about the Oline against the Seahawks, but not for the rest of the season. The two rookies that will be starting were 4 year players in college, and both played in pro style-esque offenses. The C position scares me a bit though.

Even if our offense "plays up to its potential", that's only good enough to score 17 points against Seattle's D....and that's factoring in the game being at home and the first game of the season.

It's interesting - I expect the offense to be a work in progress....so I'm actually much more worried about the defense. Preseason is preseason, I get it....but our game against the Raiders wasn't good....and it was the Raiders...

I would be surprised if the Rams beat the Seahawks in week 1. We notoriously start slow on defense, and our offense is a big work in progress. I'm hoping we can go 2-3 in our first 5 games, and then take off after the bye week. The Schedule softens up a bit after the bye. But to get to my prediction of 10 wins, it's going to take a lot...

SEA - L
@WAS - W
PIT - W
@AZ - L
@GB - L

CLE - W
SF - W
@MIN - L
CHI - W
@BAL - L
@CIN - W
AZ - W
DET - W
TB - W
@SEA - L
@SF - W

I would say we match up better with guys more than any other team in the division if anything.

Because every year I look at the Cardinals roster and come away with the same feeling....top to bottom the Rams have a better roster.

I understand why you say that...last year is a good example. The Cards went 1-3 against the Niners and the Seahawks. 2-0 against the Rams. Talent wise I think the Cards are the 3rd best team behind the hawks and rams...but the last two years I thought they were the 4th most talented team. Last year both teams were hit with injuries, and aside from that the Cards had pretty good luck, while the Rams had pretty bad luck. But I digress...maybe I should just accept that it's easier for the Rams to beat the Seahawks than it is the Cardinals.

Which is probably why I get most angry during the Cardinals games - because I always feel like the Rams should win. It seems like Arians is a good coach, but I can't see him getting this Cardinal team past 8 wins this year. I might be wrong again, but at some point talent comes into play...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Rams have played competitively against us because they have a great front 7 that knows how to contain, harass and sack Russell.

And it's safe to say with the O-line we have imploding in camp that it's going to be more of the same........low scoring games and Russell running for his life.

Graham in theory SHOULD help make our offense more effective against 8-9 in the box contain Russell defenses. But that can only happen if Russell's given time to find Graham.

SuperMan28

Reaction score
Rams OL is a bunch of maulers barring the C position. That much they will do really well. And if you believe that's not a big deal with the likes of Gurley in the backfield, in time, and Austin out wide, you are seeing what you want. Defenses will be forced to committing to stopping the run or big play because they cannot do both. And if they start wearing out then the Rams will likely take over with power running and easy completions. I don't expect them to be gelled in time for week one, but I expect them to be good enough. It's not like we're playing against our own front.

Just my .02

chris98251

Reaction score
Rex":1qjjjifz said:
chris98251":1qjjjifz said:
Rex":1qjjjifz said:
Ramfan128":1qjjjifz said:
Rex,

Current facts:

Starting QB, check
Quality WRs, check
Quality RB, check
Continuity at DC, check
Improved LB corps, check

Negates item 1 - 3

Are items 1-3 relevant for the Seahawks with their O line?
What about Bevell as OC?

1st we were not talking about the Seahawks, second we have dealt with making inferior lineman productive for going on 5 years now and had Super Bowl appearences with them and playoff slots, thats called a track record that we can hang our hat on that things will work out even if ugly. The Rams well were still waiting.............

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
mikeak":ht8s3x33 said:
^agree. They need quick hits beating the blitz and screen passes
Problem is quick hitters in our OC's head are horizontal bubble screens that never work, especially against fast aggressive defenses that have seen it run a ton by him.

ClutchDJ

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3o7tvo0h said:
ClutchDJ":3o7tvo0h said:
Ramfan128":3o7tvo0h said:
Very good article.

SEA - L
@WAS - W
PIT - W
@AZ - L
@GB - L

CLE - W
SF - W
@MIN - L
CHI - W
@BAL - L
@CIN - W
AZ - W
DET - W
TB - W
@SEA - L
@SF - W

Because every year I look at the Cardinals roster and come away with the same feeling....top to bottom the Rams have a better roster.

I understand why you say that...last year is a good example. The Cards went 1-3 against the Niners and the Seahawks. 2-0 against the Rams. Talent wise I think the Cards are the 3rd best team behind the hawks and rams...but the last two years I thought they were the 4th most talented team. Last year both teams were hit with injuries, and aside from that the Cards had pretty good luck, while the Rams had pretty bad luck. But I digress...maybe I should just accept that it's easier for the Rams to beat the Seahawks than it is the Cardinals.

Which is probably why I get most angry during the Cardinals games - because I always feel like the Rams should win. It seems like Arians is a good coach, but I can't see him getting this Cardinal team past 8 wins this year. I might be wrong again, but at some point talent comes into play...
I wouldn't say "top to bottom" now. You guys have a great DL, best in the league(However, I do think ya'll defense get overrated as a whole mainly because of your DL), but that's how far as I go to where you guys have a better group than we do.

I think we match-up better with you guys because why?
Your secondary is your weakest point in your defense. McDonald has grown into a solid player, but the rest of those guys, especially Janoris? They get exploited. The loss of Gaines is a big one too, considering he was the best CB on your team. What's our strength on offense? Our WRs. Floyd and Fitz have the height advantage to exploit your CBs, and John Brown(who I do expect to have a GREAT season, albeit if Palmer stays healthy) has the speed advantage to exploit your CBs(especially with Gaines out, because he did a great job against John last season). I do think your ILBs aren't really good either.
I think we also have the best OL(or at least, have the potential to be the best OL in the division, possibly top 10 in the NFL, to slow down your great DL, unlike Seattle's and SF's). Veldheer, who is probably a top 5 LT in the game today, did a great job on Quinn last year. Signing Veldheer was a fantastic pickup for us.

And you say "at some point talent comes into play...", but hey man, it probably already has came into play. We'll see.

ringless

Reaction score
Overall we have the better roster and coaches, and FO. Those last two come into play as well. There is a reason why Arians has gotten us 10+ wins both seasons as a head coach despite injuries and the roster he inherited.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1uinqg30 said:
mikeak":1uinqg30 said:
^agree. They need quick hits beating the blitz and screen passes
Problem is quick hitters in our OC's head are horizontal bubble screens that never work, especially against fast aggressive defenses that have seen it run a ton by him.

Or inside slants in a heavily congested area of the field to you number 4 or 5 WR that has never ran that route in game situations.

Latest posts