Our cost of letting Richard go

justafan

Reaction score
I thought this team needed a purge. Fresh start new coaches.

Jville

Reaction score
justafan":1t99rrxu said:
I thought this team needed a purge. Fresh start new coaches.

Indeed, there is typically a savings side to any cost / saving consideration.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
flmmkrz":30aun7b1 said:
Were the cbs and safeties really taught to be ball hawks by Richard or was he gifted generational talents. Earl has other worldly skills, Sherm was so heady and had receiver instincts, Kam was just a beast and had a knack for creating turnovers... and whomever they sprinkled in just benefited from playing with those guys....the more that got asked of that 4th and beyond guy(s) or as they parlayed their success into paychecks away from these other 3 the more they got exposed.

Richard didn't just develop Sherman. He developed Maxwell too

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":263gtbmd said:
Kris was let go because of the locker room situation. He didn't have much control over his players, some of them outright refusing to play the scheme. A good example of this is Richardson, he just did whatever. Richard was not able to reign his own players in. Pete responded by bringing in the hard nosed Ken Norton, a man respected by players, and a man who demands respect. Norton was brought in to be a drill sergeant.

You nailed it.

Richard lost his voice when Sherman cussed him out.

One thing I hate about dB coach coordinators is they pretty much never blitz. Richard was not very imaginative, Norton plays a lot of cover 3 drop 7 but like Quinn he is a little more aggressive than Richard and Bradley

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":3g29ii0z said:
Spin Doctor":3g29ii0z said:
Kris was let go because of the locker room situation. He didn't have much control over his players, some of them outright refusing to play the scheme. A good example of this is Richardson, he just did whatever. Richard was not able to reign his own players in. Pete responded by bringing in the hard nosed Ken Norton, a man respected by players, and a man who demands respect. Norton was brought in to be a drill sergeant.

You nailed it.

Richard lost his voice when Sherman cussed him out.

One thing I hate about dB coach coordinators is they pretty much never blitz. Richard was not very imaginative, Norton plays a lot of cover 3 drop 7 but like Quinn he is a little more aggressive than Richard and Bradley
He's been dialing up quite a bit of blitzes in Dallas. I think a lot of what we're seeing its Pete Carroll's philosophy. It's the old cover 2 system. The bend but don't break mantra with a few extra tidbits sprinkled in. Can't argue with the results here either.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":2rz5qjf0 said:
chris98251":2rz5qjf0 said:
I will start by saying he was too soft as a DC, too much Bradley in him. But what he brought was the ability to teach technique and not just to our CB's but Safety positions as well, when he was able to focus on the Secondary we were like developing juggernaut for secondary positions in the league, Maybe they can bring in Manual who was fired who was here at the same time and got his job in Jacksonville largely due to his work here.

I see two CB's that can play but are missing some ingredients that under Richard would have been there, all our CB's and Safeties were ball hawkers when Richard was here, it was because they were taught to read a Receiver and QB and play great position on them.

We need that ability coached into this new group, it is across the board, we had a large number of take away's this year but fewer interceptions then I remember and QB's didn't fear challenging our secondary, where we stepped it up was the LB'S that was Norton's influence.

Anyway thoughts......

Great post, someone posted last night Richard shut down our run game which I laughed at because he is their passing game coordinator and secondary coach..

You were either too busy laughing or too drunk to notice the tv shots of Richard on the sidelines calling the defensive plays.
Richard was indeed calling the defensive plays not Marinelli.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
It's nice to see Kris Richard getting some of the credit he deserves. Folks typically act as if Pete was the head coach, defensive coordinator, and DB coach all in one and solely responsible for the Legion of Boom.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2hl340om said:
It's nice to see Kris Richard getting some of the credit he deserves. Folks typically act as if Pete was the head coach, defensive coordinator, and DB coach all in one and solely responsible for the Legion of Boom.

I don't think anyone thinks this.

Pete's the first one to give his coordinators credit when things are going well, and Richard was no different. If I had to guess as to why Pete let him go it's because Kris was too close to the LOB and old guard defenders, and Pete knew that might cause friction going forward.

I've never seen Richard be particularly charismatic or engaging, but I bet he gets a lot of interviews after the Cowboys hopefully get spanked this weekend.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3fxgk9fi said:
MontanaHawk05":3fxgk9fi said:

Pete's the first one to give his coordinators credit when things are going well, and Richard was no different. If I had to guess as to why Pete let him go it's because Kris was too close to the LOB and old guard defenders, and Pete knew that might cause friction going forward.

I've never seen Richard be particularly charismatic or engaging, but I bet he gets a lot of interviews after the Cowboys hopefully get spanked this weekend.

I meant fans.

And yes, they did. It was all "Pete's an AMAZING defensive backs developer!" Uh, Kris was the DB coach.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":28cfr75z said:
Sgt. Largent":28cfr75z said:
MontanaHawk05":28cfr75z said:

I meant fans.

And yes, they did. It was all "Pete's an AMAZING defensive backs developer!" Uh, Kris was the DB coach.

I've never heard this, but it's partially true. All of Pete's assistants learned how to coach defense from him.

Obviously schemes get tweaked and personnel change, so I don't take anything away from Richard, Norton or any of Pete's great longtime assistants, but make no mistake Richard's core schematic beliefs is what he learned from Pete.

So back on topic, did we lose anything letting Richard go? I don't think so, our DB's outperformed all my expectations this year, I thought they'd be downright awful after Earl got hurt........and other than Griffin's late season struggles, all four positions performed well above my expectations.

Doesn't mean I don't want more CB's and safeties drafted, especially if we can get a playmaker in the first couple of rounds. Our defensive backfield desperately needs playmakers, not just "solid."

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3iw295sy said:
So back on topic, did we lose anything letting Richard go? I don't think so, our DB's outperformed all my expectations this year, I thought they'd be downright awful after Earl got hurt........and other than Griffin's late season struggles, all four positions performed well above my expectations.

Doesn't mean I don't want more CB's and safeties drafted, especially if we can get a playmaker in the first couple of rounds. Our defensive backfield desperately needs playmakers, not just "solid."

Flowers is the only one who outperformed my expectations.

Coleman and McDougald played really well, but they already had a solid foundation coming in here.

Griffin regressed badly this year and Tedric never had a peak to regress from.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1bovj763 said:

Spin Doc has made excellent points regarding the Locker Room situation with KR. Self control is not a characteristic shown by many star athletes. The fact that Russell Wilson could rise above that situation makes him extra valuable to us. I definitely see Russ going into politics after he retires.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1kqnvi61 said:
Sgt. Largent":1kqnvi61 said:

Flowers is the only one who outperformed my expectations.

Coleman and McDougald played really well, but they already had a solid foundation coming in here.

Griffin regressed badly this year and Tedric never had a peak to regress from.

Fair enough, but IMO Flowers, Thompson, Hill and McDougald all performed above expectations.........as in expectations were at zero for all of them other than McDougald.

And I suspect Griffin was dealing with injuries most of the last 4-5 weeks, and he'll bounce back strong next year.

Bottom line, I doubt Richard would have done any better.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":lt4jngya said:

These are the kinds of post I prefer to read. They have common sense and truth. Lately most of the posts are full of anger, accusation, and are repetitive. The same people saying the same exact thing they did in the last 10 threads.

I know it's painful to get bumped out of the playoffs, but it's not the end of the world. This team outperformed itself, and will only be better next year.

And back to the topic here, Kris got himself fired. His defense was out of control. MB and Sheldon were ignoring the play calls and doing whatever and we were giving up big chunks because of it. They were chasing stats, and we were losing games.

I like Kris R. and am glad to see him having success in Dallas, but the situation here was untenable and Pete did what he had to do.

I'm looking forward to next year when this team is familiar with the Coordinators, and the Coordinators are familiar with what this team, and these players can do. It will only get better.

There will be more passing next year, if we have a consistent offensive line, but this year we did what we had to do with a new players and coaches, we ran the ball. IMHO, Pete's biggest mistake this year was NOT running the shit out of the ball the first 2 games. That's what you do with new OLine, you run the ball until they get used to playing together. You DO NOT throw the ball against Elite Pass Rushers when you have a new OLine Coach, OC, and OLinemen.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
Thurmond, Maxwell, Sherman, Browner's improvement and how to use his size, Lane, Shead, Kam and Earl as well, he had his hand in all their development, that's what we are missing I think right now, his hands on approach. Pete can teach but he has a few other things going on also. Richard had a magic touch when he was involved directly. I think we seen him working some of that Magic again in Dallas.