Outclassed

olyfan63

Reaction score
cjcinec56":35rvctax said:
Pick six was a killer. I think that was the second one this year on the same play against the Bears. Maybe we don’t call that one anymore.

Looked nearly the same as the Chicago pick six to me. Same side, same area thrown to, same result.

Russell needs to look extra long and hard at the film to get this one figured out. Or as you suggest, Schotty needs to remove it from the playbook.

So far this thread is a breath of fresh air. We were beaten by a good team that played better than we did today. Many lessons to be learned.

doctorsubie

Reaction score
I'm not sure how you could say we weren't outclassed...

Chargers could get yardage at will.

For the Hawks, it felt like ground hog day--anything over 3rd and 5 and it was nail biting time.

Russell was terrible this game. Held on the ball way too long, took unnecessary sacks that resulted in 3rd and too long. And that 'hurry up' offense just before the half? How is it that any legitimate NFL team can matriculate the ball using the sideline passes and dink/dunk while we run the ball getting 3 or 4 yards and then pass over the middle and are forced to use all 3 timeouts!?

I can't remember Russell throwing something on time/rhythm...he holds on too long for his receiver to work his way open. The only timing pass I remember was the pick 6!

I think our 4 victories have been fools' gold; Pete Carroll needs to tone down his forever optimism and put some blame on his golden child Russell, hold him accountable...

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We got beat by the Chargers who did a better of job of winning the game and played to win.

We didn't. We lost because of it.

I saw the Chargers passing on 3rd and 16. I saw us calling runs up the middle on 3rd and 24. That is all you need to know.

I think if we had Carson we might have won, but playing like you have the lead when you are behind? That is going to lose you more games than it wins you.

Disappointing.

I wish we could have won this just because of the Paul Allen symbolism. But we aren't a great team anymore. It does NOT mean we are not a good team.

We lost a game at home against a very good Charger team that tends to match up against us well. Our coaching staff did us no favors but I didn't see how we would win this but for home team 'magic'. Not only did the magic not show up but the referees repeatedly screwed us. It happens.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
doctorsubie":21ykox9d said:

For the Hawks, it felt like ground hog day--anything over 3rd and 5 and it was nail biting time.

Russell was terrible this game. Held on the ball way too long, took unnecessary sacks that resulted in 3rd and too long. And that 'hurry up' offense just before the half? How is it that any legitimate NFL team can matriculate the ball using the sideline passes and dink/dunk while we run the ball getting 3 or 4 yards and then pass over the middle and are forced to use all 3 timeouts!?

I can't remember Russell throwing something on time/rhythm...he holds on too long for his receiver to work his way open. The only timing pass I remember was the pick 6!

I think our 4 victories have been fools' gold; Pete Carroll needs to tone down his forever optimism and put some blame on his golden child Russell, hold him accountable...

I don’t know you yet. Welcome to NET. I don’t agree with everything you said but you had me at your avatar.

Well played.

doctorsubie

Reaction score
Aros":qdxuyned said:
doctorsubie":qdxuyned said:

I don’t know you yet. Welcome to NET. I don’t agree with everything you said but you had me at your avatar.

Well played.

I was replying to hawks85's statement that we weren't outclassed, I agree 100% that we were indeed...

cjcinec56

Reaction score
hawks85":32iq56mp said:
We were not outclassed. The stats are about even. Take away that gifted out of bounds TD and we are kicking a field goal inside of trying to get a TD at the end, just saying. The refs beat us not the chargers. We had a bad game i get it but that gifted TD was a BS call.

I’m sorry but blaming the officiating is for losers. Chargers outplayed the Seahawks today. Quit whining.

sutz

Reaction score
Actually, this wasn't the worst game to lose in our schedule. It was a non-conference game, so if we get to where tie breakers matter for the WC spot, this was one of the less important ones. I know it feels that way because of the PGA situation and it being a home game and all, but next week is much more important.

:stirthepot:

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
sutz":20lk3g2z said:
Actually, this wasn't the worst game to lose in our schedule. It was a non-conference game, so if we get to where tie breakers matter for the WC spot, this was one of the less important ones. I know it feels that way because of the PGA situation and it being a home game and all, but next week is much more important.

:stirthepot:

100% agree. This hurts because of the Paul angle naturally, and that it was another home game squandered. But in the grand scheme of things, you would rather lose to a non-conference opponent any day.

LTH

Reaction score
Aros":2p1w8bl2 said:
I think today was a reality check. The past few weeks was all unicorns, fudge sundaes and rainbows. Today was a reality check. Stop reading the clippings about how much improved you are and fight for every down, every game.

This team looked flat, uninspired. The opening drive was the outlier unfortunately. We looked outclassed many times, AT HOME when we had every reason to play inspired football being the first home game since Paul Allen's passing. Hell, even they simulated Paul raising the flag!!

Russell usually has one stinker per year. He sure chose a poor game to have his stinker. He made plays here and there but he just didn't play anywhere near his best today. Bad throws, horrible sacks...Very disappointing. The defense showed their youth in the first half but to their credit really buckled down in the second half. Still, losing Carson was an issue but the offense never looked fully in synch and that whole "Impose Your Will" they have been displaying with unapologetic prowess this past month? Nowhere to be found today.

The Seahawks looked like the Week 1/2 Seahawks today. Not the Seahawks we have been watching in recent weeks and what a shame.

Hat's off to the Chargers. They are a LEGIT contender in the league and they came into our house and made it look relatively easy.

Sigh.

I don't agree I don't think they were out classed because they were in position to win the game... the D held the chargers O scoreless in the second half... Moore just dropped the ball one that he catches 99% of the time... It was a GB D the chargers game planned really well and the Hawks just didn't execute when it was critical... just my take

LTH

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Aros":wdinkakx said:
I think today was a reality check. The past few weeks was all unicorns, fudge sundaes and rainbows. Today was a reality check. Stop reading the clippings about how much improved you are and fight for every down, every game.

This team looked flat, uninspired. The opening drive was the outlier unfortunately. We looked outclassed many times, AT HOME when we had every reason to play inspired football being the first home game since Paul Allen's passing. Hell, even they simulated Paul raising the flag!!

Russell usually has one stinker per year. He sure chose a poor game to have his stinker. He made plays here and there but he just didn't play anywhere near his best today. Bad throws, horrible sacks...Very disappointing. The defense showed their youth in the first half but to their credit really buckled down in the second half. Still, losing Carson was an issue but the offense never looked fully in synch and that whole "Impose Your Will" they have been displaying with unapologetic prowess this past month? Nowhere to be found today.

The Seahawks looked like the Week 1/2 Seahawks today. Not the Seahawks we have been watching in recent weeks and what a shame.

Hat's off to the Chargers. They are a LEGIT contender in the league and they came into our house and made it look relatively easy.

Sigh.
On a few plays? ^ yeah, BUT, Officiating was lopsided in favor to the Electricians on some crucial times throughout the game + Injuries to Fluker & Carson were just too much for Wilson & the Coaching staff to overcome.
Wilson seems to be hurt (lawd I hope not), but something BESIDES the shitty Officiating was amiss today.

stack55

Reaction score
Even Kurt Warner said the hawks were to predictable on 1st and
2nd down since Pete said we were going to run the ball. We can still run the
Ball but switch it up with pass plays and play action on 1st and 2nd down.
That’s why our run game went stale. They gambled we would run.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
LTH":35qpz8jb said:
I don't agree I don't think they were out classed because they were in position to win the game... the D held the chargers O scoreless in the second half... Moore just dropped the ball one that he catches 99% of the time... It was a GB D the chargers game planned really well and the Hawks just didn't execute when it was critical... just my take,

You can still be in a position to win the game but that doesn't tell the tale of the entire game where it was pretty obvious to most people watching that the Chargers were the better team today. Now I get that some are all wound up with my choice of words. Maybe I should have said "Out Coached" or "Out Smarted". Would that make us feel better? Meh. I don't much get up in arms about semantics.

At the end of the day the Seahawks played rather uninspiring when they should have played their MOST inspired football game of the season given the scope and nature of the game (Paul's Tribute and Passing). All those 12's in attendance were expecting a much better performance, especially offensively, then they saw today. Why didn't they get that? Good question. Youth? Just coming in unexpectedly flat? Russ having his annual craptastic performance? It wasn't one thing. It was a myriad of factors that conspired for a loss at home when this should have been a close win.

I still think this team is on the rise. A loss at home to a non-conference, very, very good team isn't going to keep me up at night. In fact, these are the losses that almost always serve as learning lessons to a young team.

Let it be so.

chris98251

Reaction score
Not out classed, out experienced, Rivers took advantage of our young Corners and SS, one thing that did bug me was the fact that we didn't use the quick passing game in conjunction with the run early, it worked on the second to last drive pretty well. One knock on Schotty is he gets locked into the game plan and may not deviate if it is adjusted for.

Own The West

Reaction score
Philip knows this team and its defense. He’d carved up the LOB worse than the youngsters today. They were on the field a long time and still only gave up ~21 points.

The offense and Wilson were frustrating today. Russ just looked lost, like at the beginning of the season, and didn’t know where to go with the ball. He was hanging on to it way too long (again), not using his outlets, not stepping up in the pocket, not throwing the ball away, etc.

Did they put in some new package this week or something? I thought we were passed that; but it might just be a two steps forward, one step back kind of season.

sutz

Reaction score
stack55":3n3njkge said:
This has been bugging me for a couple of games now. Sure, we want to run, but running 6-7 times in a row will sooner or later catch up to us. I predict we'll pass more on first down next week. Maybe we were saving that one up?

:34853_doh:

themunn

Reaction score
stack55":7kso3qef said:

Yeah he said it, but it wasn't true. I know he said it before Russell tossed the interception, so decided to collate the play-calling to that point to confirm my suspicions.

We ran 12 times for 48 yards on first down (plus another 5 yard scramble on a passing play), and dropped back 10 times (11 if you include the scramble), tossing for 98 yards, a TD, one incompletion and a sack.

Of the 12 designed rushing plays, only 2 went for negative yardage (-2 each time), and 2 went for 1 yard - one of which was a designed RW keeper, and the other was called back for a holding penalty anyway, so didn't cost anything... apart from the sack RW took on the next play to make it 2 and 24.
The rest went for 15, 5, 5, 7, 4,4,3, 8

Our problem wasn't that we were rushing too much on first down, it was the long sacks and penalties that forced us into 3rd and long multiple times, and the terrible playcalling that we made in those positions.

The defense held Rivers to just 13 completions on 26 attempts, and 0 points in the second half. They rushed all over us yes, but it was still a game of margins. Calls like the OPI on Moore (which ruled out a third down conversion and led to the missed FG) added to it. It was definitely a tough day at the office and I thought we'd be better, but in no way do I think we were outclassed. When you consider the defense managed to get the ball back with enough time on the clock for the offense to get up and almost throw a game-tying score, you have to say that this was a team that maybe played badly but was still fighting at the death. That's the opposite of being outclassed.

xray

Reaction score
A second class effort @ home. Carson goes out and Wilson looked clueless . The Chargers were just plain better from QB to coaching. Word of advise....spend less time practicing the " TOUCHDOWN SKITS " and more time practicing pass rush and simple tackling . And lets not forget 83 yards in penalties....bye bye Playoffs.... :pukeface: