Pass chart- Do we ever throw over the middle?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'd think you need to quantify what you mean by throwing over the middle. A slant route is 30 to 45 degree angle toward the sideline. The ball typically goes between the tackle and guard, but more so just inside the tackle. I can't say that's an "over the middle" type of pass really.

Are you talking drag routes, crosses, deep in, even a post route to an extent?

Oddly enough, we do run post routes...it just isn't thrown until the WR is all the way across on the opposite sideline for a difficult catch. These tend to go to Lockett.

John63

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3o7g3ujo said:
Smellyman":3o7g3ujo said:
No qb sees over their freaking lineman if you're not 6'9!
Heads only take up so much room. You're looking over shoulders...or not.

The point he is making and all QBs alway say they need throwing lanes, does matter if you 5-10 or 6-7 you need a throwing lane.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
John63":1u6f3wl7 said:
I did, I am the one who posted it, it clearly shows he can and when he doe she does it well. You are confusing quantity with quality. He hardly gets to throw period compare to most QBs, but he is very very good at it. In fact, the reality that he does not do it as much as others QBs but still has a high success rate proves that point.

It proves the opposite, actually. If Wilson were required to throw over the middle more, you'd see changes in coverages designed to defend it, which would make it harder for him. The fact that he's able to do it with fewer attempts is largely CAUSED by the scarcity of those attempts, because defenses aren't committing as many resources to stopping it. In fact, they largely leave checkdown RB's uncovered quite a bit - Wilson just doesn't take it.

It's like the whole "can he throw from the pocket" debate. At first, everyone was like "no, he can't". Then he did in a couple of games and Pete and everyone else went "see? he can!" Then we responded with "yeah, he can, but he's not asked to do it much, so what's the point? Do it more."

This year, he did it more. It was a good thing.

mrt144

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":n6hon3jy said:
John63":n6hon3jy said:
I did, I am the one who posted it, it clearly shows he can and when he doe she does it well. You are confusing quantity with quality. He hardly gets to throw period compare to most QBs, but he is very very good at it. In fact, the reality that he does not do it as much as others QBs but still has a high success rate proves that point.

It proves the opposite, actually. If Wilson were required to throw over the middle more, you'd see changes in coverages designed to defend it, which would make it harder for him. The fact that he's able to do it with fewer attempts is largely CAUSED by the scarcity of those attempts, because defenses aren't committing as many resources to stopping it. In fact, they largely leave checkdown RB's uncovered quite a bit - Wilson just doesn't take it.

It's like the whole "can he throw from the pocket" debate. At first, everyone was like "no, he can't". Then he did in a couple of games and Pete and everyone else went "see? he can!" Then we responded with "yeah, he can, but he's not asked to do it much, so what's the point? Do it more."

This year, he did it more. It was a good thing.

Before we go around in circles - wouldn't these changes in coverage to defend the middle open up other options on the outside including outside runs? We are getting into theoretical football metagaming here but the way you frame it, we can't change anything we do because in doing so the Hawks will:

Be less good at the good things they do infrequently if they do them more frequently (Passing over the middle)
Be less good at the good things they do frequently if they do them less frequently (Literally any other thread you can pull on with the offense).

Latest posts