Pay Geno

nwHawk

Reaction score
Geno is above average but we need to see how teams adjust to him and how he responds week in and week out. I’m not entirely sure he has “it” but with the right pieces he could make things interesting.

Rat

Reaction score
I'm not ready to risk him getting complacent. He's going to want at least a three-year commitment anyway.

rcaido

Reaction score
How much do you think Geno would want?

Im guessing starting would be at least 35million a year right

Donn2390

Reaction score
Seen enough. He’s got it. Pay the man his money!
Well. paying before all of the proof is in sure is working out for Denver. Let him finish the season and see how it goes, you can always drop a bonus on him when it's over.
I was a Geno fan before the season began, but you don't dump money on someone until all the facts are in, let's finish the season.
..and whomever mentioned 35 mil is WAYTYYY out of line.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Geno is above average but we need to see how teams adjust to him and how he responds week in and week out. I’m not entirely sure he has “it” but with the right pieces he could make things interesting.
He's winning me over more each week and it sets up a fluid situation. Regardless of if we re-sign him or not, I think we need to grab the QBotF in the draft. Sitting behind Geno for a season or two while the rest of the team is upgraded is a pretty good long term strategy, though I'm not sure how much Geno would take a liking to instantly be looking over his shoulder. Hopefully ours or Denver's 1st is high enough to grab the guy Pete and John want without having to trade picks to get him and allow those picks to be used to bolster the rest of the team.

Torc

Reaction score
He's winning me over more each week and it sets up a fluid situation. Regardless of if we re-sign him or not, I think we need to grab the QBotF in the draft. Sitting behind Geno for a season or two while the rest of the team is upgraded is a pretty good long term strategy, though I'm not sure how much Geno would take a liking to instantly be looking over his shoulder. Hopefully ours or Denver's 1st is high enough to grab the guy Pete and John want without having to trade picks to get him and allow those picks to be used to bolster the rest of the team.
I think Geno has earned consideration as the long term starter, although I want to see more from him. But I'd be pretty happy at this point with drafting high quality defensive prospects. A halfway decent defense gets us two more wins on the season so far. (I still think we'd have lost the 49er game.)

I've gotta say though, I don't give a rat's hind end what our starter thinks of having a young QB behind him. Even if our previous starter hadn't had hissy fits about the scouting department and GM doing their jobs and their due diligence, I think it's absolutely idiotic to not have a young, cheap, talented-but-inexperienced QB that can hold the fort down while the starter recovers from an injury.

chrispy

Reaction score
I'm 100% sure JS told Geno's agent that he's not going to talk about an extension until after game #something. Whatever that game is, we can probably guess it's not #5. There will be negotiation toward the end of the season and then it comes down to money and how Geno plays later in the season. I hope he plays great and earns a lot of money. The amount JS is willing to pay will depend on his draft prospects/draft board, FA prospects, and Cap. Best scenario is Geno earns pro-bowl and ends up in a three-way competition in the off-season. That worked out well previously.

Spohawks

Reaction score
That's what he did today, if by "win" you mean took an inexcusable sack on third and 2 that basically put an end to our chances.
Geno spent years behind Russ and learned 1 thing...look out for yourself.

He will take sacks or run out of bounds rather than throwing it away and saving the team a few yards just to keep his stat line healthy.

Should he get another contract? Well its all about what you want in a QB. I think he is more mobile than he gets credit for, but there are faster QBs. Does he have deep pass accuracy? Sometimes.

However has he figured out the system? 100%! Does he throw INTs? Not many.

The fact is, he will end the year with some amazing stats and some team will give him more than the Hawks will.

He will not be re-signed and this is why I say to trade him NOW! Get something for him while you can!

Maui12thman

Reaction score
Seen enough. He’s got it. Pay the man his money!
Your insane. They have a plan, and it’s not paying a journeyman 25% of their payroll. I love Geno, and I could see him in the probowl (if there was one) but even if that happened they would either franchise him or give him at best a 2 year deal. Listen, they’ll be drafting a QB next year, and Geno is a bridge. Think 49ers strategy but better.

olyfan63

Reaction score
That's what he did today, if by "win" you mean took an inexcusable sack on third and 2 that basically put an end to our chances.
Geno's had a history of folding at crunch time. Steelers and Saints games last year, and the game today. Against the Lions, Geno didn't have to take the game on his shoulders, because Penny had the two long game-breaking TD runs. Today, Walker had that 69-yard TD run to give the Hawks a 4th quarter lead. So Geno is getting plenty of support from the run game, but hasn't engineered any 4th-quarter game-winning drives that I can recall. Did I miss any?

I understand both Penny TD runs vs Detroit were Geno audibles, so I'll give Geno credit for creating those.

$10M a year sounds about right unless Geno shows game-winning drive abilities.

keasley45

Reaction score
Geno's had a history of folding at crunch time. Steelers and Saints games last year, and the game today. Against the Lions, Geno didn't have to take the game on his shoulders, because Penny had the two long game-breaking TD runs. Today, Walker had that 69-yard TD run to give the Hawks a 4th quarter lead. So Geno is getting plenty of support from the run game, but hasn't engineered any 4th-quarter game-winning drives that I can recall. Did I miss any?

I understand both Penny TD runs vs Detroit were Geno audibles, so I'll give Geno credit for creating those.

$10M a year sounds about right unless Geno shows game-winning drive abilities.

You can't expect your qb to keep on 'engineering' game winning drives when a defense constantly gives up the lead you just got. Seriously? And pulling out games from last year when we allowed TJ Watt to basically batter the crap out of our qb the whole game or a Saints game where the coaches literally didn't let him throw as 'proof' he he's ineffective in crunch time?

Give Geno a defense and some of those td drives in the 4th or late in the game will be the 'game winners'.

It's like this fan base now prefers an offense that can't do squat for 3.75 qtrs but manages to put one or two solid drives together to win the game.

Should they pay him now? No. You need to see hiw he finishes the year.

Should we forego a qbotf? No. Draft our guy next year anyway. But the dude is performing at a top 5 level in the league. If he finishes top 10...?

How many FOs in the league have a top 10 qb and let him walk? Top 12?

The talk all off season was about how you HAVE TO HAVE a good to great player at the position ton win anymore in this league. Top 12 is good. Top 10 is good to great. Cherrypicking 'comebacks ' as a stat to say he's not shown enough when your defense can't stop anyone and your young o-line takes points off the board is bonkers.

Maui12thman

Reaction score
Problem with Geno is his age. Continue to perform at this current level could see him get maybe 2 yrs, 20 million near fully guaranteed. He could be the perfect placeholder for the QB of the future. Upcoming draft is absolutely loaded and there is zero chance they don’t draft said QB of the future.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Problem with Geno is his age. Continue to perform at this current level could see him get maybe 2 yrs, 20 million near fully guaranteed. He could be the perfect placeholder for the QB of the future. Upcoming draft is absolutely loaded and there is zero chance they don’t draft said QB of the future.
I expect it will be at least 5 years before Geno retires, he only turned 32 today and he hasn't had thre games for his body to get beat up. Brady is exceptionl at 45, but Rogers is 38 and Ryan is 37 and historically most QBs have played to their late 30s with his lack of games Geno could easily play at 40.

If by the end of the season Geno is still playing at a top 15 level then we should stick with him. putting the franchise tag on him is an option but if he continues to plat well in 2023 the contract will skyrocket. With 1 good season and uncertainty if it will be repeated we might have to pay €30m a year a good 2023 especially with a deep play off run we might be looking at €50m.

Geno playing well is our best option for a winning 2023. We have a lot of holes in our team but we have a lot of draft capital especial if we get 1 or 2 high picks. Trade down a couple of times to teams desperate to get their hands on a promising but unproven QB and we could have about 10 picks in the first 3 rounds to gratly improve the team overall, giving us a shot at the SB in 2023 and /or 2024. Then we can think about a replacement for Geno.

Drafting a QB is always a risk even in the first round (Johnny Manzel anyone) if we have a QB we are happy to start let other teams take that risk.

samwize77

Reaction score
From what I can see through Spotrac, neither Geno or Drew are under contract after this year. It would almost seem to me that you have to keep one of them, if nothing else, for continuity of the position.
Do you let both go???
I'm guessing here, that JS and PC are waiting to see how Geno does the rest of the year. If he falls off, which seems to almost have to happen, then he'll NOT have leverage to demand anything close to big $$. With that happening, I see keeping him for certain. Does Geno give any sort of "home town discount" if he performs well the rest of the season? I have nothing to base this on, but I doubt it. I can't see Seattle paying him more than $20mil a year regardless of rest of the year performance.
NOT having to pay big$$ for your QB is a wonderful thing for a franchise. Especially with the draft capitol, cap space.
My money is on Seattle keeping him all things being equal and stay the same as now. No injuries......continued good performance....

Latest posts