Penalty Breakdown

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":1eurvv16 said:
Not sure why you quoted me and then went off about proving a conspiracy.

Because the first half of the post is in direct response to your question, whereas the second half of the post is the result of the natural implication if you do not accept the logic of the first.

I wasn't suggesting that you subscribe to a conspiracy theory, and apologies if that was not clear. I included it for two reasons:

1) It's the other side of the forked path if you don't agree to the logic of the first part of the post.

2) It's also a topic that's "in the air." I figured it was a topic worth addressing given that it is the second route of the forked path we were talking about. TBF it was also something that I wanted to look into, because enough people have evoked conspiracies in this thread, I had thought of what I considered to be the best place to look for one, to see if there were any outliers/anything that stood out (not because I thought there would be; just as due diligence for the arguments I was making)

I thought it was labeled clearly with the "A"/"B" implications, but I should have labeled that more clearly.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2agr43wv said:
You know the funny thing to me is reading the webzone were Popeye posts regularly...

Your entire post is predicated on a lie. I have more posts on .net in the last week than I do on the Zone in the last year.

And when I do occasionally post over there, it's almost always critical of the 9ers and contrarian to fanboy Zone logic:

*Why it's dumb to root for the 9ers to lose in order to get a higher draft pick.

*Why and specifically where I think posters are mistakenly overrating Blaine Gabbert based on his game against the Hawks. :lol:

*Why I think Shyon Draughnn isn't nearly as good as zone posters want him to have looked. :lol:

*How shocked I was that Quinton Patton pulled Ellington out of a scuffle given how much of a hot head and pain in the @ss he is.

*Why there aren't any 9ers players jerseys that are worth buying, and how I think the defacto answer has to be a 30+ year ol Staley. :lol:

Nice try, though. :|

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3hfyjg49 said:
RichNhansom":3hfyjg49 said:
You know the funny thing to me is reading the webzone were Popeye posts regularly...

Your entire post is predicated on a lie. I have more posts on .net in the last week than I do on the Zone in the last year.

And when I do occasionally post over there, it's almost always critical of the 9ers and contrarian to fanboy Zone logic:

*Why it's dumb to root for the 9ers to lose in order to get a higher draft pick.

*Why and specifically where I think posters are mistakenly overrating Blaine Gabbert based on his game against the Hawks. :lol:

*Why I think Shyon Draughnn isn't nearly as good as zone posters want him to have looked. :lol:

*How shocked I was that Quinton Patton pulled Ellington out of a scuffle given how much of a hot head and pain in the @ss he is.

*Why there aren't any 9ers players jerseys that are worth buying, and how I think the defacto answer has to be a 30+ year ol Staley. :lol:

Nice try, though. :|

Well it's not a lie. I see you posting over there. I didn't say anything about volume and not one word you typed contradicts what I said.

Maybe you should have this conversation with your fellow fans I'm sure they will be complaining about the officiating after Sunday even though we been penalized 14 to 3 against you guys over the last few years.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":sezqaeok said:
Laloosh":sezqaeok said:
Do you personally think that they saw the AZ offensive line committing holding penalties on any of the occasions that I provided examples of?

Are you asking me to adjudicate your stacked deck, or to provide an opinion about if the refs were intentionally missing calls in your stacked deck?

Real question.

I'm happy to answer either way, as long as you understand that it's not something that I think is that useful or meaningful given the question I'd be interested in (if the game was evenly officiated or not).

I'd like an honest answer to the question that I asked.

Prior to this game you could probably count the number of posts about refs that I've made on one, okay maybe two hands. It's not my thing. I thought I'd go through the entire game for both sides but given the number of holds on AZ that I saw alone, I never made it that far (takes time to do the gifs).

If I felt like sitting down for another 2-3 hours and going over all of the plays for each team, you might get an answer about it being officiated evenly but I don't.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Yeah, I'm just not clear on which of two questions you're asking, so I'll just answer both of them:

Do I think there are non-calls for holding (against the Zona O-line) that should have been called:

Yeah, of course. Absolutely. (sorry if this wasn't obvious or clear)

(TBF I think you've got some false positives in there, but yeah, obviously some good examples of things that IMO should have drawn flags).

Do I think the refs saw those holds and intentionally didn't call them:

No idea. If forced to guess I'd guess not (why would they?), but hypothetically, to answer an unanswerable question, if they did, I'd want to see what else was going on throughout the game more closely to try to make some sense of it, and more generally, think refs should call penalties as they see them (and basically assume they do).

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1x39vlln said:
^^^ Yeah, I'm just not clear on which of two questions you're asking, so I'll just answer both of them:

Do I think there are non-calls for holding (against the Zona O-line) that should have been called:

Yeah, of course. Absolutely. (sorry if this wasn't obvious or clear)

(TBF I think you've got some false positives in there, but yeah, obviously some good examples of things that IMO should have drawn flags).

Do I think the refs saw those holds and intentionally didn't call them:

No idea. If forced to guess I'd guess not (why would they?), but hypothetically, to answer an unanswerable question, if they did, I'd want to see what else was going on throughout the game more closely to try to make some sense of it, and more generally, think refs should call penalties as they see them (and basically assume they do).

So, since the film clearly shows take down after take down by the AZ oline and WR (Specifically Larry Fitzgerald on numerous occasions) and since Seattle was flagged on numerous occasions for similar (if not less) transgressions, we are left with one of two options:

A. One sided gross incompetence on the part of the officials.

B. Conspiracy Theory

Since most of us don't want to believe a fix is in, I guess the only other option is that the refs became selectively incompetent.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":hc08h5vs said:
pmedic920":hc08h5vs said:
I'm not sure what these stats really mean. I know that I've watched many games and thought that the Seahawks got the crappy end of the stick but I've always kinda chalked it up to me being a homer.
I don't really buy into any real conspiracy theory but I have wondered if there is one.
I've always thought that if there was one, at some point in time, a disgruntled NFL employee or Referee would have outed the info. To my knowledge that has never happened.
However when the stats are laid out as above, it makes you think, Hmmmmm

I reread what I wrote, not sure why I needed to discount the possibility of a "conspiracy". I believe in nothing of the sort. Just a horrible effort on the part of the referees. I have no explanation. No secret whispers before the game about how they would job the Seahawks. Just very poorly officiated. No whys or how comes are necessary.

If one believes in the premise that penalties occur on every play, referees must make internal decisions on where that line is going to be. Penalties during the play are almost exclusively judgement calls. Specifically in the case of holding, 5 to 0 is ridiculous. Maybe Arizona is better at disguising it?

It could be the dark uniforms not providing the contrast for those old guys to be able to differentiate an arm from the uniform. An arm across a red jersey is a lot easier for old eyes to see.

Has anyone ever seen that many older men in one place without a pair of glasses in sight?

Latest posts