Penny 37 yard TD run

mikeak

Reaction score
In a game that Carson had two long runs including a 22 yarder we draw the conclusion that only Penny can break free for long runs..... interesting

Maybe it was a weakness for their defense on that left side of theirs, going right for our RB

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I don't like relying on the hope that he will have a break out run, I'll take the positive runs, you know, the old saying, bird in hand...

Hawkpower

Reaction score
We've seen Penny do this on multiple occasions now. He can absolutely be a homerun hitter. When he hits the open field, he is explosive.

The angst seems to be from fans who want him to be something more. But when you have Carson in the fold too, having Penny as his compliment seems perfect to me.

As a late round first pick, I will gladly take in a guy who can take it to the house from any point on the field. He's done a lot more than some of our other first round picks already. And if he develops into even more-great!

But what we have right now out of the two of them is pretty darn good. Explosive tools on offense has been something that has been lacking at times over the years....and now we want to bash a kid who can take it the distance at any time?

The Penny divisiveness is one of the weirdest things I have ever seen on this board.

sutz

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1b3o8wtw said:
We've seen Penny do this on multiple occasions now. He can absolutely be a homerun hitter. When he hits the open field, he is explosive.

The angst seems to be from fans who want him to be something more. But when you have Carson in the fold too, having Penny as his compliment seems perfect to me.

As a late round first pick, I will gladly take in a guy who can take it to the house from any point on the field. He's done a lot more than some of our other first round picks already. And if he develops into even more-great!

But what we have right now out of the two of them is pretty darn good.

The Penny divisiveness is one of the weirdest things I have ever seen on this board.

I blame fantasy football. In the end, stats other than points are pretty meaningless. Pete's whole philosophy is based on big plays, stop them on D and make them on O. We've had some breakdowns on the D side in the first two games, but we've offset them with some big plays from the O. Between Penny at RB, now DK at WR, and Diss at TE, it looks like we can score from 30-50 yards out pretty frequently and in several different ways. Plus, we know Lockett can get deep, and Procise is a bit of a wild card who seems to have big play ability, but hasn't been available much.

Scoring points wins games. Gaining yards are only meaningful to the extent they lead to scoring.

In many ways, Wilson and DK have some similarities. Both came in with some question marks about their long game/short game capability. DK supposedly was a one trick pony who could only run go routes, so thought of because he didn't do much else in college. But, as was kind of bubbling under the radar when he was scouted, it seems he can do the short stuff well enough, they just didn't use him that way.

For Russ, his real strength is the long ball. He throws perhaps the most accurate, catchable deep ball in the league. So Pete and Schotty try to set that up as the primary strategy. But, when necessary, Russ can make all the other throws, too. When teams scheme to take away the long ball, so to speak, we can counter with the short game.

But the basic strategy doesn't have to change and probably won't.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Hawkpower":34ysnjvp said:

But what we have right now out of the two of them is pretty darn good. Explosive tools on offense has been something that has been lacking at times over the years....and now we want to bash a kid who can take it the distance at any time?

It's because they did not hear of him prior to the draft. He went to a less televised school so he was less well known. Also some of the so called "experts" at the draft who are not really experts at all did not watch him play much either. So they were unfamiliar with him. Then people get the original idea that they don't agree with the pick. From there on out they try to confirm what they have come to believe.

Penny can play. He is an excellent athlete. He has great speed for his size. He was just uncomfortable last year because your system is so vastly different from what he was doing. He was actually confused IMO. You even line him up different from what he was used to. He does need more carries IMO. He heats up a lot more as the game goes on and he gets more carries.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Jeremy517":614scdu0 said:
SanDiego49er":614scdu0 said:
IMO Penny will surpass Carson if you get him the ball more. Give him 20, 25, 30 carries a game and you will see 2 - 3 long breakaway runs and 100+ yards or more.

No NFL running back has ever averaged 30 carries per game. No running backs in the NFL average 25 carries per game any more, and very few have ever done it. It has been 13 years since any NFL running back averaged 25 carries per game (Larry Johnson), and he was broken down after that year. The last guy to come close was DeMarco Murray in 2014, and he was broken down after that year too. The NFL just doesn't work like that.

And besides, you say he'd get 100+ yards per game if he got 25 or 30 carries? I'd hope so, because that would only be an average of 4.0 YPC or 3.33 YPC, neither of which would be good and one of which would be a terrible average.

He certainly needs more than 10 carries. That is not enough. So whatever it is. Something more than that. I didn't say 100 on the dot. I said 100+. So the averages would be better than what you are quoting.

He had 10 carries, 62 yards, 1 TD on a 37 yard run. A 6.2 yard average. Is that good enough for you? It looks good to me. He just needs more carries. Significantly more carries.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
mikeak":3gtle9ws said:
In a game that Carson had two long runs including a 22 yarder we draw the conclusion that only Penny can break free for long runs..... interesting

Maybe it was a weakness for their defense on that left side of theirs, going right for our RB

Penny has far better speed in both timed speed and functional game speed. That's not even in dispute. Carson is a pretty good back though or even really good at tough yards inside. I see why they like him. If it's 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 I see why Carson is called on a lot. He is kind of a bulldozer.

McGruff

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":1wrzzlr8 said:
Jeremy517":1wrzzlr8 said:
SanDiego49er":1wrzzlr8 said:
IMO Penny will surpass Carson if you get him the ball more. Give him 20, 25, 30 carries a game and you will see 2 - 3 long breakaway runs and 100+ yards or more.

No NFL running back has ever averaged 30 carries per game. No running backs in the NFL average 25 carries per game any more, and very few have ever done it. It has been 13 years since any NFL running back averaged 25 carries per game (Larry Johnson), and he was broken down after that year. The last guy to come close was DeMarco Murray in 2014, and he was broken down after that year too. The NFL just doesn't work like that.

And besides, you say he'd get 100+ yards per game if he got 25 or 30 carries? I'd hope so, because that would only be an average of 4.0 YPC or 3.33 YPC, neither of which would be good and one of which would be a terrible average.

He certainly needs more than 10 carries. That is not enough. So whatever it is. Something more than that. I didn't say 100 on the dot. I said 100+. So the averages would be better than what you are quoting.

He had 10 carries, 62 yards, 1 TD on a 37 yard run. A 6.2 yard average. Is that good enough for you? It looks good to me. He just needs more carries. Significantly more carries.

Havent you heard? Long runs dont count. You take them out.

So its really 9 carries for 25 yards, less than 3 yards per carry, and no touchdowns.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
McGruff":1df9co9y said:
SanDiego49er":1df9co9y said:
Jeremy517":1df9co9y said:
SanDiego49er":1df9co9y said:

So its really 9 carries for 25 yards, less than 3 yards per carry, and no touchdowns.

Yeah. LOL. That's literally what a lot of these guys do. They do that on a lot of other boards that I post on too. To fit their preconceived confirmation bias.

But yeah long runs count. That is what Penny is great it. Yes indeed it ups his average. But who cares if you have some long breakaway runs that result in TD's? In fact those plays are absolutely great and anybody should be super happy to see them.

mikeak

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":2c9ijvhr said:
Hawkpower":2c9ijvhr said:

It's because they did not hear of him prior to the draft. He went to a less televised school so he was less well known. Also some of the so called "experts" at the draft who are not really experts at all did not watch him play much either. So they were unfamiliar with him. Then people get the original idea that they don't agree with the pick. From there on out they try to confirm what they have come to believe.

Penny can play. He is an excellent athlete. He has great speed for his size. He was just uncomfortable last year because your system is so vastly different from what he was doing. He was actually confused IMO. You even line him up different from what he was used to. He does need more carries IMO. He heats up a lot more as the game goes on and he gets more carries.

I am glad I can read your expert opinion instead of "the so called "experts""........ irony at its best

Jeremy517

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":18hhbgw3 said:
McGruff":18hhbgw3 said:
SanDiego49er":18hhbgw3 said:
Jeremy517":18hhbgw3 said:

Yeah. LOL. That's literally what a lot of these guys do. They do that on a lot of other boards that I post on too. To fit their preconceived confirmation bias.

But yeah long runs count. That is what Penny is great it. Yes indeed it ups his average. But who cares if you have some long breakaway runs that result in TD's? In fact those plays are absolutely great and anybody should be super happy to see them.

Uh I never took out any runs. I was talking about the hypothetical that you created where he gets 25 or 30 runs for 100+ yards, not about yesterday's game. Penny was good yesterday.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Regardless, Carson is rarely (if ever) going to break loose for a 30 or 40 yard TD run. Penny will. More than once, assuredly.

What Carson does is break tackles and run with power. But he is not going to outrun anyone that plays LB or in the secondary. He is quick but not even close to fast.

Penny is actually not that quick. But he is lightning fast when he hits top gear. And he can beat even the faster LBs to the edge. Though they are both great receiving threats, he also is much more dangerous after the catch than Carson.

We need both. And Pete has had a predilection for the 'Thunder & Lightning' RB duo since way back to his time at USC.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
mikeak":6t7xibpj said:
SanDiego49er":6t7xibpj said:
Hawkpower":6t7xibpj said:

I am glad I can read your expert opinion instead of "the so called "experts""........ irony at its best

He has a point on the confirmation bias thing. Since many of us love to "rate" each pick, especially early round ones, we tend to dig our heels in when we decide that we don't like a particular pick.

I can't think of any other reason to have bad things to say about Penny over and over and over. He is a perfect compliment to Carson and is developing nicely while showing explosive ability to change a game at any point.

For right now, that is just fine.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
My knock on Penny, from what I have seen of him as a Pro to date, is that he appears to be a feast-or-famine type back. he gets stuffed a few times, then he breaks one for a 37-yard TD.

While I love the big plays, the stuffs are drive-killers. At the current time I appreciate the more consistent gains of Carson.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2y470iq1 said:
mikeak":2y470iq1 said:
SanDiego49er":2y470iq1 said:
Hawkpower":2y470iq1 said:

He has a point on the confirmation bias thing. Since many of us love to "rate" each pick, especially early round ones, we tend to dig our heels in when we decide that we don't like a particular pick.

I can't think of any other reason to have bad things to say about Penny over and over and over. He is a perfect compliment to Carson and is developing nicely while showing explosive ability to change a game at any point.

I agree with what you are saying here. I was referring to mostly random internet guys as "experts" or "self proclaimed experts." There are hundreds of those draft sites if not thousands. Most have never seen him play at all because San Diego State Aztecs are not nationally televised much.

Now as to me claiming to know him. I never proclaimed myself an expert on anything. What I have said is I saw him play every game of his College career. That's more than these so called "internet draft site experts." Most never saw him play even once. They don't know at all what he is or what he can be. I was referring to that. Real NFL experts liked him. He is big and fast for his size. Pete Carroll and your GM liked him. I trust their football knowledge. I was referring to random guys on the internet who build a random draft site. There are so many of those. None of them have ever seen him play in College. I think I have a pretty good idea what he can do because I watched every game of his College career. Both home in person and away on TV. That's all I was saying.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I don't really think this game changes anything about the debate that surrounds Penny. My personal option at least remains unchanged.

Penny has the talent to be special, however it is not showing early enough IMO to warrant the draft capital they have spent on him. This might change, and I will be happy if it does. But if it takes 3-4 years to fully come to fruition - running backs are dirt cheap right now. They could have just signed him in 3-4 years when he was a FA - not used a 1st round pick on him.

themunn

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1ueh6shn said:
My knock on Penny, from what I have seen of him as a Pro to date, is that he appears to be a feast-or-famine type back. he gets stuffed a few times, then he breaks one for a 37-yard TD.

While I love the big plays, the stuffs are drive-killers. At the current time I appreciate the more consistent gains of Carson.

60% of Carson's runs went for less than 2 yards yesterday! It was similar last weekend too. If people are going to say that Penny averaged 3 yards per carry if you remove the 37 yard run, then what about Carson, who had his average buffed up by a 21 and 16 yard carry (1.8 YPC on his other 13 carries)
I'd say that Penny has been better this season in that regard.

Still, I guess there's a reason they trusted Carson for the 4th and 1.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawkpower":13vzyfx3 said:

I don't disagree on confirmation bias

I also agree that they are more complimentary style players

I was really more laughing at others opinions because they are "so-called" experts while at the same time spelling out opinions like they are unbiased facts. The writer also suffers from confirmation bias

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
LOL a victory thread for a a player that had one touchdown and 62 yards. Not in a half but in a whole game. Overcompensate much?

:lol:

Latest posts