Penny 37 yard TD run

IndyHawk

Reaction score
That cut he made and still had the jets going right after was awesome!
He doesn't need to plow into people when he blows by them for TD's.
He has a different style yes but I love it and if he gets more chances I
believe he will do a lot more.
I like Carson but man hang onto the ball if you want to stay #1..
I also want to say to the Penny haters..A bust doesn't do the things I
see out of Penny"A Penny for your thoughts" :snack:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He wasn't worth a #1?

Have you seen the garbage we have gotten from our other #1 picks?

He was essentially a 2nd round pick, for insurance, in the event our starting RB was still injured.

That said, the pick is spent. If Carroll stops giving Penny carries...you know we don't magically get our #1 gifted back right? (though if we did, we would probably blow it on mediocre to middling players like we normally have done in recent past).

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sprhawk73":1n2s1dyu said:
Why was Beast so vital for the Seahawks? He didn't need blockers and turned busted plays and losses into gains. Blocks were appreciated but not required, man I miss the Beast.

Just like with Shaun Alexander, without good blocking it can't come together. I think both Penny and Carson are quality backs but they are not Beast level.
Of the two, Carson is WAY MORE a Lynch type Back than any other in the League, and exactly why Pete has him as the Feature Back....I for one didn't believe that Penny was going to come in and take the job away from Carson, only a fool would have expected that, and besides, Penny is starting to show another skillset that will become quite useful as the season progresses.
Time to learn the System is what Penny needed.
There's a need for BOTH of their styles of play...….. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1zb8orx5 said:
He wasn't worth a #1?

Have you seen the garbage we have gotten from our other #1 picks?

He was essentially a 2nd round pick, for insurance, in the event our starting RB was still injured.

That said, the pick is spent. If Carroll stops giving Penny carries...you know we don't magically get our #1 gifted back right? (though if we did, we would probably blow it on mediocre to middling players like we normally have done in recent past).
He damned well WAS "Worth a #1 Pick", because IF Carson would not have come back from his injury, Pete needed to cover his ass, that's exactly why he went after Penny so early in the Draft.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
He had a good play and I’m happy he did. That doesn’t justify his draft position or his other less than stellar play. It’s the reaction of the Penny lovers that is funny. “Suck it” to other Seahawk fans when he has one good play?

Let’s play this out. Penny does not start because Carson is a better player. I hope the Penny lovers can at least acknowledge that much. So, which teams in the NFL would Penny, a first round pick, start on? I’m going with zero.

I know there are those that argue that we needed to pick him in the first round just in case of on going injuries. Bull crap. We could have picked up pretty much any RB in the first four rounds and had the same or better results.

I hope he does well. I hope we win the next 15 games. I hope I see in him some day what others do. I see 3rd round talent picked in the 1st round playing like 6th round talent playing behind a 7th round pick who actually plays like a 1st round pick.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":12duk8ah said:
........It’s the reaction of the Penny lovers that is funny. “Suck it” to other Seahawk fans when he has one good play?
It was me Capt. Negative. And you're right I am a Penny lover as well as a lover of all the Seahawks. I root for my team and want ALL the players to do well and don't carry an anti-player agenda with anyone on the team. As far as I go with negativity toward a Hawk player is to express frustration with Prosise and Ansah as far as health goes. Even with Ifedi who is also a 1st rounder and far more worthy of the ire of this board about as far as I'll go is to say "do we have anyone who could play better?'
The 'suck it' comment was directed at the anti-Penny faction I see on this board and the frustration many of us, not just me, feel toward those people like you with your nearly constant stream of negativity toward this player. And btw, I've been far harsher with the anti-Wilson faction that was particularly vocal a few years back. I make no apologies in either case.
I get that not every player will meet your hope and expectations and expressing that opinion is part of why people go to a place like this. But the constant and repetitive hammering on a kid whose played all of what, 16 games in the NFL and has showed some flashes of real ability is to me unnecessary and tiresome. I'm not alone in feeling that way here.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":5qzdbax9 said:
LOL a victory thread for a a player that had one touchdown and 62 yards. Not in a half but in a whole game. Overcompensate much?

:lol:

He had 10 carries. How many yards do you want him to have on 10 carries? 10 carries, 62 yards, 6.2 average, long of 37 yards and 1 TD looks fine to me. It looks like he needs more carries. Give it to him 20 times and you will see more yards and TD's.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I see more negativity coming from you than from any other poster. Well done.

By the way, since you are the self appointed player protector here there’s an Ifedi thread that needs your policing. You sure have a lot of posts for someone that doesn’t like discussion. LOL

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":2pfv4olm said:
JayhawkMike":2pfv4olm said:
LOL a victory thread for a a player that had one touchdown and 62 yards. Not in a half but in a whole game. Overcompensate much?

He had 10 carries. How many yards do you want him to have on 10 carries? 10 carries, 62 yards, 6.2 average, long of 37 yards and 1 TD looks fine to me. It looks like he needs more carries. Give it to him 20 times and you will see more yards and TD's.

My last response on this thread. So, why don’t they give it to him 20 times? Because despite a great run he regularly drops like a sack of wet flour when touched behind the line of scrimmage. Remember his series? Good on first and second for not quite ten then loss on 3rd down.

Go Hawks. Go Penny. Prove me wrong but please don’t mind if I don’t hold my breath waiting.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":17v08ol2 said:
SanDiego49er":17v08ol2 said:
JayhawkMike":17v08ol2 said:

My last response on this thread. So, why don’t they give it to him 20 times? Because despite a great run he regularly drops like a sack of wet flour when touched behind the line of scrimmage. Remember his series? Good on first and second for not quite ten then loss on 3rd down.

Go Hawks. Go Penny. Prove me wrong but please don’t mind if I don’t hold my breath waiting.

Admittedly I dont know your specific angle for not being on the Penny bandwagon.

But the problem many of us have is that the anger spit his way is completely unwarranted in relation to what he has shown.

Some only go on these rampages because they started out that way (angry at the pick in April of 2018) and constantly look for validation and justification for their anger at the pick.

Hence, being "right" about him being a first round stretch is more important than supporting an important part of our offense.

The Penny hate has gotten silly and out of control on this board. For a late round pick he is providing plenty. Glad we have him.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3fiave2q said:
JayhawkMike":3fiave2q said:
SanDiego49er":3fiave2q said:
JayhawkMike":3fiave2q said:

Admittedly I dont know your specific angle for not being on the Penny bandwagon.

But the problem many of us have is that the anger spit his way is completely unwarranted in relation to what he has shown.

Some only go on these rampages because they started out that way (angry at the pick in April of 2018) and constantly look for validation and justification for their anger at the pick.

Hence, being "right" about him being a first round stretch is more important than supporting an important part of our offense.

The Penny hate has gotten silly and out of control on this board. For a late round pick he is providing plenty. Glad we have him.

I agree 100% with Hawkpower here. :D

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3jimleos said:
JayhawkMike":3jimleos said:
SanDiego49er":3jimleos said:
JayhawkMike":3jimleos said:

Hey @Hawkpower, there's an Ifedi thread that needs policing too, or so I was told anyway.
Thanks for your effort

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
themunn":ebrsej09 said:
KiwiHawk":ebrsej09 said:
My knock on Penny, from what I have seen of him as a Pro to date, is that he appears to be a feast-or-famine type back. he gets stuffed a few times, then he breaks one for a 37-yard TD.

While I love the big plays, the stuffs are drive-killers. At the current time I appreciate the more consistent gains of Carson.

60% of Carson's runs went for less than 2 yards yesterday! It was similar last weekend too. If people are going to say that Penny averaged 3 yards per carry if you remove the 37 yard run, then what about Carson, who had his average buffed up by a 21 and 16 yard carry (1.8 YPC on his other 13 carries)
I'd say that Penny has been better this season in that regard.

Still, I guess there's a reason they trusted Carson for the 4th and 1.
I am basing my opinion of Carson on his career, instead of just yesterday. Carson has been a consistent performer for us.

Penny has yet to prove he can be consistent, and it frustrates me how often he runs into the back of his blockers at the line instead of finding some space to run.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":lumtxrk3 said:
themunn":lumtxrk3 said:
KiwiHawk":lumtxrk3 said:
My knock on Penny, from what I have seen of him as a Pro to date, is that he appears to be a feast-or-famine type back. he gets stuffed a few times, then he breaks one for a 37-yard TD.

While I love the big plays, the stuffs are drive-killers. At the current time I appreciate the more consistent gains of Carson.

60% of Carson's runs went for less than 2 yards yesterday! It was similar last weekend too. If people are going to say that Penny averaged 3 yards per carry if you remove the 37 yard run, then what about Carson, who had his average buffed up by a 21 and 16 yard carry (1.8 YPC on his other 13 carries)
I'd say that Penny has been better this season in that regard.

Still, I guess there's a reason they trusted Carson for the 4th and 1.
I am basing my opinion of Carson on his career, instead of just yesterday. Carson has been a consistent performer for us.

Penny has yet to prove he can be consistent, and it frustrates me how often he runs into the back of his blockers at the line instead of finding some space to run.
I think you're not alone. Looked a bit better between the tackles yesterday but the criticisms when stated reasonably are legit.

chris98251

Reaction score
I really think he is a cut and go guy and against the grain back that will look like shit on a ply they see him coming and all world when they don't on a cutback. I also think he needs to get beat up a bit for him to accel, a few hits and knock downs to get his mind and legs right.

He runs with a glide step also and Carson is a stepper and picks his feet up more which I think allows him better balance and less trip ups.

Carson has that Curt Warner type of cut and run or even Ricky Watters where Penny is more a runner like as someone Said Alexander but with a narrower base. Alexander had a wide base all the time and Penny keeps his Narrow so recovery from shoe string tackles attempts is harder and can bring him down at time.

Both can be good and get you a lot of yards, I think the offense needs to adjust the blocking a bit for Penny to truly go off with what he does best. That and allow him to have that 20 touches or so.

Latest posts