Penny And Past Hawks Backs

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I thought Penny looked incredibly promising. His blocking was subpar compared to Carson's and he didn't have the threat of Russ on the field to mitigate attention (resulting in reckless run-blitzing from Colts linebackers out of 7-in-the-box), so he was bound to get worse stats.

But the phrase that struck me for Penny was "no-nonsense". He had some hard runs; he fought and shook off, pushed for extra yards, didn't dance excessively or avoid contact. That's where the weight helps him out, even if he could slim down a bit. And he had multiple runs that showed off a deceptive agility, not just the goal-line one. So he won't be a lightweight Davis, a stiff Lacy, a cutesy 2016-2017 Rawls, or a brittle Prosise.

Still a fan of Carson, but he, too, has a reputation for brittle. That's why Penny is here. It's still Preseason, but our RB stable is already of a vastly superior pedigree to the grab bag we assembled last year. I feel good.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
[quote“He’s a really good route runner and a good catcher,” Carroll continued. “He really was impressive throughout. He’s picked up a ton of stuff.”][/quote]
https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2018/ ... rotection/

“He caught the ball beautifully,” Carroll said. “He can do whatever we need to do in the throwing game. Schotty (Brian Schottenheimer) did a nice job of mixing some stuff in so we could see him doing different route concepts, so we had a real good variety of things that we looked at in and out of the backfield.”
https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2018/ ... down-back/

[quoteBob Condotta of The Seattle Times reports. "[Penny] has scat back qualities along with the ability of running in between the tackles," said Schottenheimer. "Everybody wants to see him pass protect, but I've been blown away by his ability to, again, diagnose the blitz, see where the blitz is coming from, and track his guy. It's been outstanding for a young back, one of the best if not the best I've ever been around."][/quote]
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footb ... wn-skills/

Penny is just a rookie. And, it's just one preseason game. Can we see him play a couple of games before we can him a bust?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'm sorry, are we talking about twilight team Carson or team Penny or are we talking about football? They have very different styles and a Carson/Penny 1-2 combo is exactly what we need.

Some of you fanboy freaks can be really wierd sometimes....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":i1mjhko0 said:
I'm sorry, are we talking about twilight team Carson or team Penny or are we talking about football? They have very different styles and a Carson/Penny 1-2 combo is exactly what we need.

Finally, a voice of reason.

If Pete learned anything last year it's that Beastmode is a VERY rare RB that can carry the load game in and game out and remain healthy and durable.

Pete now knows that he's going to have to fall in line with the rest of the league and have 2-3 good RB's that he can depend on all year.

So this isn't a competition between Carson and Penny.........They're BOTH going to get significant carries and hopefully work in tandem to get our run game back on track.

getnasty

Reaction score
I'm not sure why he want to put on more weight he doesn't seem like a guy that can truck people. I hate that Brock compared him to Shaun Alexander, the softest back in history.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":1eaasei5 said:
vin.couve12":1eaasei5 said:
I thought he was the fastest back we had. Control of gears is evident with him and he has more than two. He's somewhat playing like a rookie where he's continually bouncing outside, but that will change. The physical talent is blatant. If he applies himself, he doesn't have any meaningful limitations. Not unlike Carson, but different.

I agree with this assessment, it was clear to me he has a burst our other backs do not possess. I am excited to see how he grows.

I agree with you guys. Not only did he have that extra burst, but he's very smooth and that cutback/breaking it outside showed good vision and explosion. Combine that with his pass block that allowed RW to get outside and throw that TD, I'd give the kid good marks on the day.

If he truly did put on bad weight, it'll be off by week 1. A lot of these guys are still getting into game shape. The line didn't do Penny any favors, but overall I thought he didn't look lost and looked like he belonged. Going from SDSU to NFL 1st/2nd stringers is a HUGE jump in talent. Color me impressed.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":biqynb55 said:
Maybe I watched a different game but Penny looked like the most talented back we have. That's not a slight against Carson who looked good too. Penny looked quick, explosive and overall did pretty well for his first NFL action. He didn't leave many yards on the field and created for himself. I can't see how anyone thought Carson looked "incredible" and Penny looked "average". I could be way off base for sure and I was against taking a running back in the first round but that's what I saw. I feel confident the running game will be much better this year all around which is a good thing.
Agreed. This reminds me of the Shaun Alexander / Ricky Watters debates from back in the day. It's not a perfect corollary but Penny is like Alexander in that he is a glider with subtle moves in tight areas that spring him while Carson is a physical slasher whose style is a bit more demonstrative, like Watters. Each style has its fans, but I think Penny will be the guy who can bust loose and go 60 yards, while Carson will be dependable 3-8 yard kind of back.

Penny has a lot more to show then he did last night and when he is more comfortable with his blockers you will see some special stuff.

Chapow

Reaction score
getnasty":2acg9r4j said:
I'm not sure why he want to put on more weight he doesn't seem like a guy that can truck people. I hate that Brock compared him to Shaun Alexander, the softest back in history.

Get outta here with that garbage.

You don't average over 300 carries and 1500 yards per season for 5 straight seasons in the NFL if you're soft.

We would be extremely fortunate if Penny becomes the next Shaun Alexander.

adeltaY

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3e3rctv3 said:
adeltaY":3e3rctv3 said:
Thepeelsessions":3e3rctv3 said:
So that begs the question, and I know it's really early to jump to conclusions, but does it seem like he was a wasted pick considering all the other holes this team had? Penny was hands down my favorite RB in this class, pre-draft. With how much John and Pete seemed to love Carson last year, it was kind of a shock when they took Penny with their first pick. I was pumped though. But hearing how great Carson is looking, and the fact that Penny isn't really making it a competition up to this point, and hearing how "meh" he looked tonight, it's kind of a bummer.

Carson's health has to be a big factor. He's had injuries dating back through university. Still, a first round pick is a lot to spend. Typically you want a Pro-Bowl caliber RB out the gate. There's still plenty of time. The line HAS to block better though, I can't fault Penny for some of the carries that went nowhere.
There is a MASSIVE difference between injuries that are possibly preventable through conditioning, like sprains, pulls, etc. and broken bones.

Unless you are suggesting Carson has weaker bones than others - keeping in mind extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - then you can't go painting him as injury prone just because he broke a hand in college and his leg in his rookie season. Have a look at his injury last year and ask yourself if he was injured due to being "injury prone" or if *any* running back would have had his leg broken under the same conditions.

Breaks happen - it's a contact game - and it's unfortunate when they do. but I don't see Carson as any more injury risk than any other player just because he got broken in half by some nasty tackling.

Welp. I never said he was injury prone, which to mean means someone like Arian Foster. Carson has an injury history. He hasn't just suffered bone breaks - he had a torn ACL in senior year of high school and pulled his hamstring the spring before the draft. Injury concerns are part of the reason he fell as far in the draft in the first place.

In Penny, we have someone who can shoulder the load if Carson misses time, which wouldn't be surprising given his history, but that doesn't mean I'm expecting Carson to miss time. I'm just saying that's part of the rational for taking Penny that early.

chris98251

Reaction score
Chapow":33k0ep10 said:
getnasty":33k0ep10 said:

You don't average over 300 carries and 1500 yards per season for 5 straight seasons in the NFL if you're soft.

Reason why Watters started Shauns Rookie year he was soft and would not pass block, reason we telegraphed 3rd and long was because Shaun often pulled and would not pass block so we went with the other back or the FB draw play. Shaun only was tough when inside the 20, or when we played Washington that game and actually got pissed off and took over. Best game I ever seen him play all around. Wish he could have had that mentality every game, he would be in Canton and eclipsed Tomlinson easily.

The Washington game showed he had it in him, he left a lot more on the table and could have been another level kind of back if his heart or mentality was in it.

hawk45

Reaction score
In Pete's system it's plausible that Carson is the unchallenged starter at the moment because Carson blocks well. I also think Carson is a good back, although after the Rawls and Procise trauma I want to see a back put together 2 good years and stay healthy before I begin to bet with both hands.

Pre-season, but I was looking for signs that Penny could reach the corner against NFL athletes and I saw that. Saw some of the shiftiness, the sliding and picking his way through the wash with his shoulders mostly square to the LOS. I dig the efficient, shifty running style with little wasted east-west motion. Looked very fluid catching the ball to nobody's surprise.

He still looked like a guy where defenders better take a good angle or he'll hit that next gear and pop for 20. It's not flashy or herky-jerky so it's deceptive like Montana said.

All Brock meant by the Alexander comp was that Penny is smooth and effortless in his cuts. Penny stuck his head up in there for extra yards. He's not Marshawn, and may not have the explosive spin Carson has, but I didn't a soft back.

Chapow

Reaction score
chris98251":32o6st6i said:
Chapow":32o6st6i said:
getnasty":32o6st6i said:

Reason why Watters started Shauns Rookie year he was soft and would not pass block, reason we telegraphed 3rd and long was because Shaun often pulled and would not pass block so we went with the other back or the FB draw play. Shaun only was tough when inside the 20, or when we played Washington that game and actually got pissed off and took over. Best game I ever seen him play all around. Wish he could have had that mentality every game, he would be in Canton and eclipsed Tomlinson easily.

The Washington game showed he had it in him, he left a lot more on the table and could have been another level kind of back if his heart or mentality was in it.

OK. So a guy that averaged well over 300 carries per season, 1500 yards per season, and 17 TDs per season for 5 straight seasons, in the NFL, left "a lot more on the table" and didn't have his heart or mentality in it?

How much more do you think he left on the table? Because that was one hell of a half decade he put in for this team. You think if only his heart and mentality were in it and he weren't soft he would've averaged, what? 400 carries per season? 2000 yards per season? 20 TDs per season? For 5 straight seasons?

I get that many fans are butthurt about the "stabbed me in the back" comment and that he wasn't able to play well through multiple injuries like a broken bone in his foot and a broken wrist (though he did try) after 2005, but good lord. Just mind boggling to me that so many cannot appreciate or respect what he did for this team for those 5 years.

I got news for you, he was "another level kind of back" whether you're willing to admit it or not.

hawk45

Reaction score
Chapow":18gd30l8 said:
How much more do you think he left on the table? Because that was one hell of a half decade he put in for this team. You think if only his heart and mentality were in it and he weren't soft he would've averaged, what? 400 carries per season? 2000 yards per season? 20 TDs per season? For 5 straight seasons?

Yeah I don't know about projecting what Shaun might have been with a different running style. And from a production standpoint he was prolific.

But I also don't quibble with the "soft" label. Backs in the NFL who won't block and don't fight for extra yardage get that label hung on them.

"Finesse" would be the less pejorative word to use here but that ship sailed when we saw SA slide like a QB to avoid contact. I mean that sort of display would get parents yelling at their peewee league daughters.

It doesn't diminish his greatness for me, but it makes it much more difficult to form an emotional fan connection with a player. As opposed to a guy like Lynch who would leave his arm behind if it meant getting back to the LOS.

MrThortan

Reaction score
His first NFL game with limited reps that were mostly not with the #1 line. He gained some yards on most plays and caught a couple passes. Really hope to see more of him in the next games. He was taken 27th and Nick Chubb was taken 35th. I watched Chubb play and he didn't light up the world either. Barkley on the other hand looked really good. Expecting Penny to work his tail off. I expect that of all the rookies and I am sure Pete does too.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
hawk45":3oay6pf1 said:
Chapow":3oay6pf1 said:
It doesn't diminish his greatness for me, but it makes it much more difficult to form an emotional fan connection with a player. As opposed to a guy like Lynch who would leave his arm behind if it meant getting back to the LOS.

I totally get you Hawk 45. I loved Alexander because of his vision and nose for the EZ. But at times I loathed him because of his tendency between the 20's to go down early or run out of bounds. And i think that was a strong sentiment for the fan base.

Franco Harris 2.0.

Whereas Lynch was a man every single carry and I will hold him in the highest respect for his time here in Seattle. He never ever went down without a fight. Never stepped out of bounds without taking a shot at someone first. Realized that being tough bouyed the team and made them fight harder. There was a reason we were considered a finesse team under Holmgren and a "bunch of dogs" under Carroll. That came from the identity set by the RB's.

I hope none of our current backs shirk their duties to display toughness. From what I saw last night, everyone was willing to stick their nose in it and get a bit dirty. I thought Carson looked best and Penny looked like a rookie finding his way. But he has a burst and mae a couple corners I didn't think a guy that size could make. So hopefully more to come.

Allweatherfan

Reaction score
Holy crap, lol, 8 carries with the 2/3 string o-line and the comments lol. He got lazy playing video games and sitting on his signing bonus? To also say it with some kind of conviction as though this is the case?
Dude, step back from the ledge, remove the tinfoil, and breathe.

I thought he looked like a great Yin to the Carson Yang. Thunder and lightning. That was just my perspective on what I saw in his first preseason game carrying the ball 8 times.

His cutbacks were excellent and he showed the ability to accelerate past tackles when given space. I saw nothing to make me think otherwise.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
austinslater25":kluy0x18 said:
Maybe I watched a different game but Penny looked like the most talented back we have. That's not a slight against Carson who looked good too. Penny looked quick, explosive and overall did pretty well for his first NFL action. He didn't leave many yards on the field and created for himself. I can't see how anyone thought Carson looked "incredible" and Penny looked "average". I could be way off base for sure and I was against taking a running back in the first round but that's what I saw. I feel confident the running game will be much better this year all around which is a good thing.

I agree, at least 2 of his carries he was hit in the backfield. Kind of hard to make an inpact when you have free defenders to deal with. Everyone wants to give Carson love for his 1 GOOD game last year and everything else was average at best.

I think we'll see Penny improve as he's given more touches and get s more familiar with the system. I'm not worried.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
you guys are hard on him, he didn't really show a whole lot but Carson got seemingly more of the carries and did by contrast look very good. I think the Alexander comparison was a good one, he looks patient and when a hole appears he can take it. Like Alexander tho you'd have to feed him and settle for the 1 yd 2 yd til he'd break one for 10+...he doesn't look like the tough yards guy. If the oline plays well both these guys will benefit and could make for a very nice tandem

Fade

Reaction score
8 carries for 16 yds.

2 rec 7 yds.

10 touches 23 yds.

Stats, shmats.

The context is what matters. His opportunities in the open field, against the #2 defenders is what disappointed me. Being tackled in the backfield I won't hold that against him, in the open field though he didn't do much. I see why he is #2 on the depth chart, and hardly been covered by the media.

getnasty

Reaction score
Chapow":264hdo1o said:
getnasty":264hdo1o said:

I could have ran for 1200 yards a year behind that OL. Alexander was soft as they come but he did other things well.