Penny Injured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Unlike Prosise, Penny has no real injury history from college which is why I suspect this might not be anything that keeps him out of practice for long. Hand injuries are problematic for RBs as the ball is so repeatedly tugged at as they are tackled and their hands need to be strong to prevent the ball being knocked/pulled out.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm honestly hoping that Procise will see some meaningful snaps in a Seahawk uni this season, and actually become a consistent contributor, preferably for the 'Hawks and not another team. I'm as baffled as anyone else at the neverending small injuries and unavailability, but I can't help but wonder if there is something else going on that the team is hiding from the public. For example, what if it eventually comes out that Procise has been battling some form of cancer the last couple years? I have NO INFORMATION to indicate that; PURELY HYPOTHETICAL, but dealing with treatment, surgeries, and trying to keep his body at an NFL level through such treatment, and being held out by the team to allow assorted surgeries to heal... I mean, seriously, something along that line is about all I can come up with that plausibly explains the situation. Maybe there is some other disease or condition that weakens connective tissue or bones or something.

Prosise's primary injury, reported after the Nov. 2017 game vs. the Eagles (in which Prosise had a 72-yard TD run) was a broken scapula. Assuming that we take the team at its word on the injury.

From Wikpedia:
"Usually, it takes a large amount of energy to fracture the scapula; the force may be indirect but is more often direct.[3] The scapula is fractured as the result of significant blunt trauma, as occurs in vehicle collisions.[4] About three quarters of cases are caused by high-speed car and motorcycle collisions.[4] Falls and blows to the shoulder area can also cause the injury.[4] Crushing injuries (as may occur in railroad or forestry accidents) and sports injuries (as may occur in horseback riding, mountain biking, bmxing or skiing) can also fracture the scapula." it also says, "Signs and symptoms may be masked by other injuries that accompany the scapular fracture.[2]"

What if Prosise's scapula fracture injury involved more than just a simple scapula fracture? It seems to take a LOT of force and trauma to break a scapula. Maybe Prosise was in an trauma-rich unreported auto (or ATV) accident with a host of tissue injuries, and the team just picked "broken scapula" as the one to report? Does anyone have a video link to a specific play in that Eagles game where Prosise got clocked that would account for a scapula fracture?

I'm sure I should just post this in a new thread, or post in the "CJ Prosise Weekly Unavailability Thread." It seems to me that we've been piling on Prosise, mocking him, for a year now, and it's truly hard for me to conceive that a guy like Prosise who has been able to make it to the NFL level and play VERY well (when healthy) would be a malingerer or "soft". Never mind the Percy Harvin counterexample; Prosise is no Pus, er, Percy Harvin. I mean, Prosise really seems like a good dude, smart, well-spoken, can even write, does what he can to be involved in the community, and was a Golden Domer in college, which, love or hate, Notre Dame isn't exactly a place where weaklings and quitters congregate to play college football. I don't recall ever hearing Pete criticize Prosise or roll his eyes when asked about Prosise (correct me if I'm wrong), where we DID hear Pete question Percy Harvin's injuries back in the day. Never heard a peep about Prosise being a locker room problem, or being less than a hard worker. (like all the crap we heard about McDowell that the 'Hawks chose to ignore and draft him anyway). So there's just a whole lot that doesn't add up on the C.J. Prosise front.

So it's maddening, frustrating, so see Prosise unavailable, week after week, and I can't help but feel we are being unfair to a man who is doing the best he can in a challenging situation, where a lot of the facts are likely being concealed from the public by the team.

I know that I injured my rotator cuff a year ago, just throwing way more than my shoulder was ever used to, and a year later, even though my strength and range of motion are back, I still can't throw worth crap, and during my rehab, I learned what a complicated and fragile joint the shoulder can be. It's a bloody miracle the thing works at all, IMO. To play RB/WR at an NFL level, that shoulder joint comes into play a LOT, and if it's not properly healed, it would be hard for a player like Prosise to really be ready to play, and the risk of ongoing reinjury/setbacks will always be there until it is truly healed.

I just can't help but feel we are getting very incomplete information on Procise's injury(ies) and that we have been unfairly dogging a guy who is plenty tough and committed, but just dealing with a crappy situation where his body is setting the timetable and that body has a mind of its own.

Would love to hear BigSkyDoc's take on this.

=== EDIT: POSTED ABOVE, IN "Weekly Prosise unavailability thread", responses there please... ====

Here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=140310&p=2189891&hilit=prosise+unavailability#p2189891

HansGruber

Reaction score
Broken finger, out for 3-4 weeks. Ugh.

We've had extremely bad luck with injuries the last 3-4 seasons. Please god tell me this isn't yet another.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
To me this only improves the chances for Davis to secure a roster spot.

This injury certainly sucks and to me is hugely disappointing, it drops Penny down the DC for now. Hopefully the time estimate is not wrong.

It’s now or possibly never for Promise

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He'll be ready for week 1. It's gonna' be ok :2thumbs:
You're right about seeing playing time for the other guys, let em battle it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.