Penny

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Penny brings some fantastic wrinkles to the offense as a young back. I have 100% faith Carson will take him under his wing this off season and show him what it takes to condition an NFL RB body. Because of this, you’ll see a different monster in the fall. For this playoff, Penny’s speed around the corner will keep defenses honest.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
lukerguy":mp4v9i2g said:
A few facts on Penny.

1) He was drafted in the 1st round.
2) Chris Carson is a better RB than him.
3) Mike Davis is a better RB than him.
4) Chris Carson was a 7th round pick.
5) Mike Davis was released by another club (4th round pick) before the Hawks picked him up.

Is Penny a bad player? Not necessarily, but compared to the fact that he is the #3 RB on our depth chart and we expended far more resources towards acquiring him, I cannot see how he would be viewed as anything except a disappointment.

He is who he is, you cannot be disappointed in him, he didn't ask to be drafted #1 by the Hawks..if you want, be disappointed in the FO for drafting him that early, but it's not fair to the kid to judge him for what someone else thought.

That said, and others have said, he has the character of being a very good RB, let him mual it over the year and see how he is next year.,

hawknation2018

Reaction score
He’s flashed potential. Next year, the game will gave slowed down for him and he will have physically matured.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":195bylcf said:
A few facts on Penny.

1) He was drafted in the 1st round.
2) Chris Carson is a better RB than him.
3) Mike Davis is a better RB than him.
4) Chris Carson was a 7th round pick.
5) Mike Davis was released by another club (4th round pick) before the Hawks picked him up.

Is Penny a bad player? Not necessarily, but compared to the fact that he is the #3 RB on our depth chart and we expended far more resources towards acquiring him, I cannot see how he would be viewed as anything except a disappointment.
1) Check
2), 3), 4) & 5) = redundant.
You've already said it yourself, he's #3 on the depth chart, he has NOT PLAYED ENOUGH FOR YOU OR ANYONE ELSE to make claims that he's a "Disappointment", or a bust.
By that logic, Davis being a 4th rounder should be better than 7th Round Carson....He ain't.
Carson has proven that he was overlooked in the Draft, & that he's a CAN DO, and has earned the job as the Seahawks #1 Feature Back.

You're expecting that Pete should do what, bench Carson (who is kicking some major ass) in favor of playing 4th round Davis, or better yet, bench BOTH Davis I Carson to feature 1st rounder Penny?
Pete had seen enough with Russell Wilson being the only viable RB in 2017, thus, he hedged his bet by aquiring Rashad Penny.
What I don't understand, is WHY anyone would want to move off a claim that is producing an abundance of gold.

Atradees

Reaction score
Penny is awesome. That cutback run should have been enough evidence. He doesnt plow thru defensive tackles very well. He has great vision and is speedy. He is very good at finding his blockers. I think the best is yet to come. He is different than the other two and now Mckissic. I don't think one just trades players for much return in the NFL these days. I would rather have Penny than a fourth or fifth round pick. He is also on the cheap.

Donn2390

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1p2tbc31 said:
Also, call me greedy, but the Jags just voided Fournette's contract guarantees and I'd love to have him if they cut him. He'd still back up Carson, but Carson, Fournette, Penny, Scarborough would all but guarantee Terra Firma Domination next year as well.
We just got rid of our bad attitude players, why would you want a cancer like Fournette on the team. He will be out of the league before long if he doesn't get his act together. He was a cancer at LSU and he hasn't changed a bit.
Me me me, the heck with the team

chris98251

Reaction score
We had Fournette, he was just named Christine Michael, we have a group now that compliments what we want to do and how we do it, we also don't need the type of contract he would want eating up space and resources to keep his ego in check.

mistaowen

Reaction score
He requires a tailored set of running plays and as a first round pick, isn't promising. He has some nice burst if there is space outside, definitely second gear is better than his first, anything up the middle is a wasted play. He hesitates and doesn't have the lateral quickness needed to make a quick cut and go up for 5 yards how Carson does.

Not writing him off since most rookies take a season or two of offseason work for it to click, just disappointing he doesn't look to be more than a third down back.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I'm a big supporter of Penny and think many are overlooking the fact that he's been dinged up and missed the vast majority of the pre-season and a few in-season games. Another factor is that PC has said many times, he likes his RB's and they all are a little different from each other. My question for PC is then..... why do you run the same plays off tackle, up the middle when both Carson and Davis are better at that role right now? Right now, Penny needs open field to work, that is his best asset currently, and considering this is his first year, trying to make him a Carson clone is a disservice to him right now. Next year, after a full off-season of conditioning and learning he will surely improve in every regard. Let Carson & Davis pound the middle until then, but get Penny involved with pitches, sweeps and screens every now and then. + He can't be expected to get 100 yard games with only 4-5 carries a game. Next year, watch out.

chris98251

Reaction score
He would also benefit from delayed draws where he could get to the second level quickly.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Donn2390":ln5u3koi said:
vin.couve12":ln5u3koi said:
Also, call me greedy, but the Jags just voided Fournette's contract guarantees and I'd love to have him if they cut him. He'd still back up Carson, but Carson, Fournette, Penny, Scarborough would all but guarantee Terra Firma Domination next year as well.
We just got rid of our bad attitude players, why would you want a cancer like Fournette on the team. He will be out of the league before long if he doesn't get his act together. He was a cancer at LSU and he hasn't changed a bit.
Me me me, the heck with the team
Eh...kind of have a point there.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":2pdht5fi said:
I'm a big supporter of Penny and think many are overlooking the fact that he's been dinged up and missed the vast majority of the pre-season and a few in-season games. Another factor is that PC has said many times, he likes his RB's and they all are a little different from each other. My question for PC is then..... why do you run the same plays off tackle, up the middle when both Carson and Davis are better at that role right now? Right now, Penny needs open field to work, that is his best asset currently, and considering this is his first year, trying to make him a Carson clone is a disservice to him right now. Next year, after a full off-season of conditioning and learning he will surely improve in every regard. Let Carson & Davis pound the middle until then, but get Penny involved with pitches, sweeps and screens every now and then. + He can't be expected to get 100 yard games with only 4-5 carries a game. Next year, watch out.

I agree with the bolded part..You have to use the player according to his strengths and
Penny is never going to be a gut pounder but a lot of great RB's never were.
I also believe he will be much better next season.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Nyet.

You start showing tenancies that clearly then NFL players and coaches will see it. Might as well tell them what you're doing. That's why it's important to be a complete back. He'll get there.

Either way, as long as Carson is playing like he is then it's moot. Carson is 5th in yards rushing, 7th in TDs (tied), something like 3rd in yards after contact or so he was a week ago, 4.7 ypc on 250 carries, etc. If Carson isn't the top 5 back his stats say he is then he's definitely top 10. I don't see the needto force the issue with Penny. He's got time for now.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Carson 1151
Davis 514
Penny 419
Wilson 376

Shaun Alexander rushed for 313 yards his rookie year (2000) while Ricky Watters gained 1242 yards.
I think we all know what happened the following seasons, I'm not worried about Penny at all.
-Carson is quickly becoming my all time favorite Seahawk RB... and I don't say that lightly.
If they can keep this offensive line together in 19' & get Dissly back, big things on the horizon.

HansGruber

Reaction score
I've been happy with Penny, overall. He's a good back. I like the combo of Carson/Penny with Davis in there to keep people confused.

Our OL is at fault for some of the lost yardage. He's not quite a bruiser like Carson, but he's a good runner, and has some playmaking ability. He's a lot better than anything we've had in a while.

I'm excited to see how Penny does next season. I'm also looking forward to seeing if he can make a couple big plays in the postseason. I think we'll all like him in a couple years and be stressed about how to pay him.

Atradees

Reaction score
Penny fits what we are doing. I would like to see him in space as others mentioned.

(RIP Alan Rickman)

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Penny will get better. He goes down too easily but to be fair he seems like a rhythm back who needs a couple to get going.

Seeing how successful Chubb was in Cleveland and Michel taking right after him it's easy to second guess.

If he's never our feature back does that make him a failure or say more about Chris Carson?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":1w7oreak said:
Penny will get better. He goes down too easily but to be fair he seems like a rhythm back who needs a couple to get going.

Seeing how successful Chubb was in Cleveland and Michel taking right after him it's easy to second guess.

If he's never our feature back does that make him a failure or say more about Chris Carson?

So, would you rather have Carson, or Chubb or Michel?

If Carson, then it's possible those other two would still be #2 or lower on our roster.

The Breh

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":15q744tl said:
I noticed both Carson running outside and Penny in.
Not like there isn't tape to prove their strengths, I could only imagine it was not to remind people that Penny is most dangerous this year going outside the tackles.
We didn't want fresh material and show our whole hand. Not in that meaningless game.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Penny was a waste of draft resources, pure and simple.

Is he a bad player? No, but he certainly is not what you want from a first round pick, he is a utility player. Penny is decent and receiving, and really good on runs to the outside. He can gouge you for big plays if teams have poor discipline. That being said, those outside misdirection plays seem to be the only thing he is really good at from a running standpoint.

Penny on other types of runs is dismal. He really is bad at inside runs, and he seems to have a hard time finding the lanes. He looks very hesitant, and he doesn't seem to posses much aptitude for breaking tackles here. Really easy to bring down, too easy. At the end of the day Penny is what you would love to have for a third down back in the 5th round. The guy that has one niche that he can do well, and can receive/block. The kind of guy that you don't mind seeing on the field, but you cringe when he has to be the feature back due to injuries. I don't ever think he is going to progress past this point.