Penny

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They would have been better to literally just tell the Vikes what they were gonna' do. Starters looked pretty solid, but the backups, ouch.

mikeak

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1mdj294w said:
People are upset that our 1st round pick isn't lighting things up when we haven't had an effective 1st round pick since after 2012?

Penny was not picked to be a great 1st round pick or even a starter.

He was picked to be insurance if Carson got hurt so that we did not end up repeating what we did with Rawls back when he was hurt.

He did what he was supposed to do. Be insurance for Carson and spell him occasionally.

That 1st round pick is the closest thing we have had to success in the 1st round for over 5 years. Weird thing to complain about.

1) COMPLETELY DISAGREE - any team that drafts in the 1st round for "insurance" is a failure in this league. He was drafted to be a starter and maybe I will give you with the intent of two starting RBs and someone after Carson leaves in FA

2) He is not doing what he is supposed to do. He is not a viable backup option. He is a catch the ball in open space out of the backfield guy. He is the replacement for Procise because he can't stay healthy - not Carson

McGruff

Reaction score
I was reminded this morning that without Jones, Haynes, Iupati, Simmons or Fant, that our 2nd team OL was actually our 3rd team OL.

That explains why Penny and Paxton were DOA before they even took a snap.

McGruff

Reaction score
My opinion is that Penny with the starting OL would be fine. His style needs a crease, moreSo than Carson. He wasnt getting any of yesterday.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
McGruff":35rasgmy said:
My opinion is that Penny with the starting OL would be fine. His style needs a crease, moreSo than Carson. He wasnt getting any of yesterday.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/12thManInNC/status/1163303302119022592[/tweet]

McGruff

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2005batr said:
McGruff":2005batr said:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/12thManInNC/status/1163303302119022592[/tweet]

That may be possible. But not many could find light last night between the lunging grabbing arms of Nkansah at LT and the Oprah sized backside of Knox at RT.

AgentDib

Reaction score
One of the the reasons why the term "first round RB" is deceptive IMO is that it's actually much easier to get value out of Penny then Barkley. Barkley has a $7m cap hit and cost 2600 points of capital (per JJ trade chart) while Penny has a 2.4m cap hit and cost 680 points of capital. The drop-off in salary and capital is very steep as you progress through the first round. The only thing special about first round status is the 5th year option, which is arguably most valuable for positions with high turnover like RB.

Penny isn't looking very good but that's because of his own play and our depth OL struggles. Sony Michel was also taken in the late first round and is working out fine in New England.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I agree. Penny is a different kind of back that needs a crease. I still think he can be very good in this league and will be as a Seahawk. He is going to surprise some people this year taking a lot of the vacated Davis touches and do well with them. Having said that its tough to see us take Penny when Chubb went later who I like more and would be perfect in this system.

Osprey

Reaction score
austinslater25":3skkt5dg said:
I agree. Penny is a different kind of back that needs a crease. I still think he can be very good in this league and will be as a Seahawk. He is going to surprise some people this year taking a lot of the vacated Davis touches and do well with them. Having said that its tough to see us take Penny when Chubb went later who I like more and would be perfect in this system.

Wasn't Chubb a medical red flag? Wonder if he was even on their board.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
austinslater25":1n6twhn8 said:

Yep, and if our #1 line blocks for him like they did last night for Carson.................Penny will get those creases.

I just think Pete has his work cut out for him with taking Carson out of the game, he looked incredible last night. I think Penny's in for another year of not getting enough touches cause Carson's just flat out balling out.

Ozzy

Reaction score
First of all hello sir, I miss your banter. Yeah tough to argue with any of those points. Carson is a stud for sure. He lacks elite or special traits but he's just really good at getting what he should and he brings a physical element. I sound like Pete which I hate, but its true lol.

xray

Reaction score
McGruff":u13qkf5a said:

Homer>>4 attempts for 16 yards>>Turner>>2 attempts for 13 yards>>Ursua>>1 attempt for 11 yds......Penny>>6 attempts for -2 yards ...Penny needs more than a crease with or without the starting OL . If he was a late round pick he would be on the bubble right now . Don't get me wrong I wish he was a RB beast but he just isn't . IMO

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He probably won't light the world on fire as a threat running between the tackles. He is, however, an amazingly dangerous threat in the passing game. In fact, he is very close to what Carroll hoped Procise would/could be - except he has a weird habit of being more healthy.

He isn't a bust though. Not even close.

Btw,

After watching the Seahawks play the last preseason games - if your big concern is 'Penny just isn't putting up enough big numbers' not sure what games you are watching? Penny isn't the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders, LT, or even Chris Warren - but he is nowhere near the biggest concern we are looking at with the team based on what we have seen this year.

Wartooth

Reaction score
I don't know?
He kind of reminds me of the way Shaun Alexander started...
I guess we'll see how it turns out.

xray

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3m25gn83 said:
He probably won't light the world on fire as a threat running between the tackles. He is, however, an amazingly dangerous threat in the passing game. In fact, he is very close to what Carroll hoped Procise would/could be - except he has a weird habit of being more healthy.

Btw,

After watching the Seahawks play the last preseason games - if your big concern is 'Penny just isn't putting up enough big numbers' not sure what games you are watching? Penny isn't the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders, LT, or even Chris Warren - but he is nowhere near the biggest concern we are looking at with the team based on what we have seen this year.

Travis Homer is going to take Pennys #2 spot before the end of Sept.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
sutz":dvpgpx5a said:
Frankly, it's about two years too late to worry about his "first round pick" status. He's here. He won't be cut this year for sure.

The pick is sunk cost. Continuing to whine about it will do no good.

Now get off my lawn!

:les:

Yeah, your right, but, I'm not sure it's about him being a #1 pick, it's about the Hawks failing,seemingly everyear to make a decent selection of a #1 pick.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Man, I don't know. I loved the Penny pick when they made it. I've since cooled on him quite a bit. But I still want him to ball out. It's tough to gauge him off of last night, because that 3rd-4th string offensive line was an absolute joke. It seemed like there was a few times where the defender got into the back field and could've taken the handoff from Paxton before Penny even had a chance to. I think most of the blame goes to the O-line and Schotty. Knowing how piss poor the line was proving to be, he probably could have called some plays to get Penny in space, like he did for Homer. Homer had a couple of outside tosses, designed to get into space. Why couldn't Schotty call some of those for Penny?

Outside of his 9 yard outside toss run, Homer didn't do much. 7 yards on his next 3 carries. Funny how some (xray) think Homer will take Penny's job. Until we see Penny getting work with the 1st team line like Carson has been, I won't make any rash judgements. The starting O line looks to be dominant. I want to see what Penny can do with those guys. Sit Carson the next two games and let Penny ride.

Seymour

Reaction score
xray":245o3514 said:
TwistedHusky":245o3514 said:

Btw,

Travis Homer is going to take Pennys #2 spot before the end of Sept.

Ummmmm....I'm telling I'mamadscientist on you!!!

:snack:

Chapow

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":3tgzutcj said:
Man, I don't know. I loved the Penny pick when they made it. I've since cooled on him quite a bit. But I still want him to ball out. It's tough to gauge him off of last night, because that 3rd-4th string offensive line was an absolute joke. It seemed like there was a few times where the defender got into the back field and could've taken the handoff from Paxton before Penny even had a chance to. I think most of the blame goes to the O-line and Schotty. Knowing how piss poor the line was proving to be, he probably could have called some plays to get Penny in space, like he did for Homer. Homer had a couple of outside tosses, designed to get into space. Why couldn't Schotty call some of those for Penny?

Outside of his 9 yard outside toss run, Homer didn't do much. 7 yards on his next 3 carries. Funny how some (xray) think Homer will take Penny's job. Until we see Penny getting work with the 1st team line like Carson has been, I won't make any rash judgements. The starting O line looks to be dominant. I want to see what Penny can do with those guys. Sit Carson the next two games and let Penny ride.

Great post. I agree with basically all of this, and especially the part about sitting Carson and giving Penny a chance with the 1st team OL. I don't think there's any more we need to see from Carson in preseason, he's a stud. We do, however, need to see what Penny can do with an OL that isn't a complete dumpster fire, and is playing against other teams starters.

In other words, I don't think we need to evaluate Carson, but I do think we need to evaluate Penny and it's awfully difficult to evaluate a RB when the OL is getting destroyed.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
SNDavidson":1lud9rc8 said:
You know, the eye test is a thing, it’s important, I think he’s going to do well this year and have some really pretty runs. I don’t do it that often, for me Penny gets a fully excused “pass” for last night, our second string line got pwnd, that’s more concerning to me. On the bright side, our 1’s looked very good, when Penny gets mixed in with them and we’re game planning, look out. He’s gonna take a screen to the house this year too.
I agree.. :2thumbs: