People Outside Seattle Just Do Not Understand Russell Wilson

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":3sa0ptjv said:
Geologic":3sa0ptjv said:
If we did not have Russell Wilson, we would be like the Arizona Cardinals (without Carson Palmer) or the St Louis Rams (without Sam Bradford).

I disagree. We have the number one rushing offense - which would still be good without Wilson - and the number one defense in the game.
Your wrong. We wouldn't even make the playoffs. We tried this before with a full season of Tavares Jackson.

Unless you decided to be a Seahawks fan after we won the superb owl you witnessed this first hand. Wilson was the missing piece.

themunn

Reaction score
SeaTown81":2dkrh3dp said:
I don't know if it's more a sign of the average fan being ignorant and stupid, blinded by fantasy football conditioning to see the qb position as "300+ yards a game = good qb".

Be it the dumbification of the common fan thanks to fantasy football (personally, I think this is culprit #1)

Well given Wilson is the number 3 QB in points on nfl.com for fantasy football, I think this argument can be put to bed

-The Glove-

Reaction score
themunn":353w3x85 said:
SeaTown81":353w3x85 said:
I don't know if it's more a sign of the average fan being ignorant and stupid, blinded by fantasy football conditioning to see the qb position as "300+ yards a game = good qb".

Be it the dumbification of the common fan thanks to fantasy football (personally, I think this is culprit #1)

Well given Wilson is the number 3 QB in points on nfl.com for fantasy football, I think this argument can be put to bed
What round was RW being picked by non-homer fantasy footballers though? Yes, he had a good season towards the end, but he never has been a top half of the rounds QB.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":2a1kolnp said:
Geologic":2a1kolnp said:
If we did not have Russell Wilson, we would be like the Arizona Cardinals (without Carson Palmer) or the St Louis Rams (without Sam Bradford).

I disagree. We have the number one rushing offense - which would still be good without Wilson - and the number one defense in the game.

A couple of head scratching posts here. To the first, did you just equate Russell Wilson to Carson Palmer and Sam Bradford? Really? Really?

To the second, you don't think Russell Wilson and his threat to run has an immense impact on Marshawn Lynch's yardage totals? Not to mention he also has nearly 900 yards rushing himself and according to the broadcast on Sunday night, he would lead 18 other teams in rushing as well. You don't think that contributes to the #1 rushing total either? Without Russell, we wouldn't be the #1 rushing offense.

AVL

Reaction score
It's hidden height bias. I would have thought we would be past it by now, maybe in a few more years.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I would love for the world to continue ignoring Russell. I would love for other defensive coaches to continue to ignore Russell. I would love for "stupid fans" to continue to ignore Russell.
We just keep him to ourself ... he is our little secret ...
When Russ makes a play (like a 55 yards run from his endzone to avoid a safety), we could just say ... "Anybody can do that or even better, Lindley would have done it too".
I watched the Rams vs Cardinals game and the Rams struggled to get first downs, although they usually gained 7+ yards on first down. On 2nd and 3 and 3rd and less then 3, they couldn't get first down and had to punt. I said to myself, Russell will destroy this Cardinals Defense, if we get good yardage on first downs. Arians called his defense the best defense in the NFL after they held the Rams to 2 field goals ... Russell destroyed them with his throws and his feet in their building in a must win game.
Russell makes the game look too easy at times ... just getting those crucial first downs, moving the chains, keeping the ball on offense, chewing the clock with long drives , not turning the ball over, extending plays ... Yea, I know ... anyone can do that. Why don't most QBs in the league do it?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
joeseahawks":12vfcwg6 said:
I would love for other defensive coaches to continue to ignore Russell.

I can guarantee you that opposing defensive coaches are not ignoring Russell.

capncrunch

Reaction score
I think there has been a narrative rolling out from the media over the last couple of years that the running quarterback or read option quarterback was only a fad. They (not me) would point out that Michael Vick and RGIII, Manziel and Tim Tebow and some others would get hurt or couldn't succeed. While Andrew Luck and the older Manning and Bradies just kept standing tall in the pocket and getting it done. RW didn't fit in to this narrative. He kind of destroys it. So, when he has a little rough patch or the team isn't winning. It's like, "see. the way he plays the position isn't good."

I heard a lot of people praising him to the highest after the prime time performance Sunday night. The guys from First Take, Collinsworth and Michaels, many others. There a lot of people around the US who think he is awesome. I see lots of #3 jerseys around here some 3500 miles from Seattle. I think the Lions are more likely to become the new Raiders than the Seahawks. Especially if they have some playoff success.

pehawk

Reaction score
Some of Wilson's problem is his predecessors.

Wilson is changing the definition of QB. He's what Vick was supposed to be. A QB that could throw and run. People are hedging their prognostications based on previous examples. He's compared to Vick more than Steve Young because, well, melanin (I think a lot of times when Russ may come off like a robot or overly scripted its because he realizes he has to because, well, melanin).

Also fantasy football. Fantasy football has done more damage to the game than anything else. It causes the commissioners office to tweak rules advantageous to offenses and it skews fans perceptions. That's one of the many reasons I refuse to play fantasy football. It's a cancer, truly.

XOXO

Joe Gilliam (google it)

randomation

Reaction score
Veilside":37o0slgn said:
It's been mentioned before but the way I've seen it since his rookie year is...

Andrew Luck = Peyton Manning
Russell Wilson = Tom Brady

If you really think about it, the similarities are kind of crazy. The relationship won't be the same due to being in different conferences though.

Well they sure as hell won't face each other in the superb owl unless Luck actually gets his turnovers under control. The thing is Russ is around 15th in TDs and Passing yardage, obviously he is carried by his 2 running backs one of which is 3rd and the other is around 15. Oh wait that 2nd running back is RW. So Russ is top 15 in both passing and running how do people not get how crazy that is.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
pehawk":pht0g25s said:
Some of Wilson's problem is his predecessors.

Wilson is changing the definition of QB. He's what Vick was supposed to be. A QB that could throw and run. People are hedging their prognostications based on previous examples. He's compared to Vick more than Steve Young because, well, melanin (I think a lot of times when Russ may come off like a robot or overly scripted its because he realizes he has to because, well, melanin).

Also fantasy football. Fantasy football has done more damage to the game than anything else. It causes the commissioners office to tweak rules advantageous to offenses and it skews fans perceptions. That's one of the many reasons I refuse to play fantasy football. It's a cancer, truly.

XOXO

Joe Gilliam (google it)

I tend to agree with your feelings about FF Pe though maybe not quite to level you hate it.

XOXO

Marlin Briscoe (google that too)

CPHawk

Reaction score
It's funny coming from a Minny fan, they went to 4 SB with elite D, but couldn't close the deal. It takes an elite QB to finish the deal.

Also why did the media love Mike Vick, when he couldn't throw half as good as Russ. They called him elite and fell all over themselves to compliment him until his dog fighting stuff. It was ok for him to be dynamic with his legs, but not Russ?

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
If Dante was alive today, he would rewrite Inferno and add an additional circle of hell for those who, without solicitation, tell others how their fantasy team is doing. My God those people should have their heads run through with blunt scissors.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I live outside of Seattle(Michigan, in fact)and totally understand Russ. In fact, many folks I know who are from Wisconsin(many Packer fans too) think Russ is the bomb.

el capitan

Reaction score
I especially love it when people say he benefits from having a great run game and an awesome D to support him.

Really, because I would have thought an oline that can pass block and a WR over 6'1 would be a lot more beneficial.

seahawksny

Reaction score
SeaTown81":1ejiqdjz said:
From John Clayton's ESPN Mailbag today:

Q: All I want for Christmas is for ESPN and NFL analysts to admit Russell Wilson has had absolutely nothing to do with the success the Seahawks have been having the second half of the season. Their run, just like last year's, is being driven by a dominating defensive unit that has rounded into form and has nothing to do with Wilson. Earlier in the season, when the defense wasn't hitting on all cylinders and the Seahawks needed Wilson to pick them up with the offense, he didn't do it. He couldn't do it! They were a .500 football team, and everyone was saying they probably weren't even going to make the playoffs. That's because Wilson is not a franchise QB.

Scott in Minnesota

A: I couldn't disagree more. He's 35-12 as a regular-season starter and has a Super Bowl Ring. He and Marshawn Lynch carry this team. In three years, he has moved into the elite class of quarterbacks. You can't just look at the stats. He doesn't make many turnovers, and that is critical to the Seahawks' formula for success. He's worked behind an offensive line that has struggled for two years. More importantly, he keeps getting better. The Seahawks average 24.9 points a game. That's sixth best in the NFC. Without Wilson, the Seahawks would average around 18 points a game and be a seven- or eight-win team.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12073 ... as-cowboys

The same ignorant thinking that's happened with a lot of the national media (many of whom after 3 years and a SB win, have been forced to choke on the truth) to this day continues to be barfed up by opposing NFL fans.

I don't know if it's more a sign of the average fan being ignorant and stupid, blinded by fantasy football conditioning to see the qb position as "300+ yards a game = good qb". Or if it's just a whole lot of bitter, jealous fans of teams with lackluster qb's, who do not want to admit the guy their team (who likely still needs a franchise qb) passed on is any good. I mean, why else does this idiot (likely Vikings fan) feel the need to email John Clayton and demand Wilson be given zero credit for Seattle's success?

Most NFL fans who have one team that they follow above all others are incapable of truly gauging opposing teams. They simply do not pay as close attention to the every detail as they do their own. That and odds are their own homerism for their squad generally makes them pretty biased against perceived rivals/teams they're jealous of. I get all that. But there's something about Russell Wilson that really pushes the envelope in this regard. Be it the dumbification of the common fan thanks to fantasy football (personally, I think this is culprit #1), jealously, or pure ignorance. There's something that's causing your average fan to miss entirely just what makes #3 beyond special.

Maybe I shouldn't care. Maybe as a Seahawks fan, I should be more than happy having loser Vikings fans say such things, while my team is the best in the league, winning a title and going for more. Something tells me that Russell will never get the credit he's fully due until the Hawks win thanks to him and not the defense at all. That he'll have to win "New NFL" age 45-37 games like many of the teams in this league with good qb's and terrible defenses are forced to. That he'll get more credit if he starts throwing for 350 yards and game and multiple interceptions. The more I think about it, I actually think it bothers me more how stupid the common fan is becoming in today's stats obsessed fantasy football era.

Oh well, whatever. Let Scott in Minnesota enjoy his fantasy title. I'll gladly take another Hawks Super Bowl.

Go Hawks.

100% correct, especially on the fantasy part. The world has been consumed and blinded by fantasy football.

everybody talks Calvin Johnson Calvin Johnson Calvin Johnson. Well guess what, Doug Baldwin is just as important to this team is Calvin Johnson is to his. , and players like Baldwin will never have the stats to compare, but it doesn't matter. What matters is, who helps their team win.. the Seahawks have many of those guys and Russell Wilsons most important Stat will never show up in fantasy. In my opinion His most crucial Stat that has fueled his success is that he doesn't turn the ball over. This term "elite qb " is so misinterpreted. Stats are the stats, but who has had more success in super bowls, eli or Peyton manning? One is a fantasy lovers dream , the other doesn't turn the ball over. So which one wins in big games and which one doesn't ?

end of discussion

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":3tji80c5 said:
I live outside of Seattle(Michigan, in fact)and totally understand Russ. In fact, many folks I know who are from Wisconsin(many Packer fans too) think Russ is the bomb.

But you're a Seahawk fan and they're probably Badger fans. Not exactly a neutral audience.