Percy Haters, have you changed your mind?

kearly

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":ekvxlqfz said:
ImTheScientist":ekvxlqfz said:
There was a lot of Percy hate in threads last year. Just curious if the Haters have changed their mind after seeing him healthy?
So people that have injury concerns about Harvin are now haters? Congrats to you on the first "eat crow thread" of the season.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

TSizzle starting a thread.

Fail.+Found+on+Damnlol+http+www.damnlol.com+boom-body-slam-18961.html_09fe34_3643776.gif

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
acer1240":12vw53te said:
On 1 kickoff return Percy became worth every pick and dollar we gave up for him.
You keep telling yourself that a td in early garbage time is worth a ginormous contract and multiple draft picks.

The return was nice, but for what we gave him he needs to be an mvp candidate every damn season.

Last season Harvin and Rice became the most overpaid WR duo in NFL history, and both came from minny with a checkered history and serious question marks.

There is plenty more evidence AGAINST the trade than there is for it. Percy needs to put up 1000+ yards with 10+ tds every year or else it is a poor use of resources.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
kearly":15v4dvwr said:
Tech Worlds":15v4dvwr said:
ImTheScientist":15v4dvwr said:
There was a lot of Percy hate in threads last year. Just curious if the Haters have changed their mind after seeing him healthy?
So people that have injury concerns about Harvin are now haters? Congrats to you on the first "eat crow thread" of the season.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

TSizzle starting a thread.

Fail.+Found+on+Damnlol+http+www.damnlol.com+boom-body-slam-18961.html_09fe34_3643776.gif

that boy got pummeled.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Looks like August got deleted from the history...but plenty were writing this:
RiverDog":33ausnzl said:
Maybe he is. But I wouldn't make that assumption. When he first had his hip examined, he had a professional opinion that had he taken it, would have allowed him to play, but he chose to go get a second opinion which recommended surgery and 8 weeks off and he chose to accept it and went against our team's medical staff. There is the possibility that his heart isn't in the game. Only time will tell.

DavidSeven":33ausnzl said:
Most recent tweet:

Percy Harvin ‏@Percy_Harvin 1m
And to all the haters who tried to kick when I was down ... Can't express how much fuel u added to my fire ....

.NET will gladly eat crow, Mr. Harvin. Gladly.

Anyways....funny how football amnesia works. I was hoping a few would come forward and express either their like or dislike for him. I think a lot of the past dislike was due to the fact that they didn't know what we really had and didn't see him with the Vikings. But if there opinion is still the same I was interested as to why.....

kearly

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2yhtugn3 said:
There is plenty more evidence AGAINST the trade than there is for it. Percy needs to put up 1000+ yards with 10+ tds every year or else it is a poor use of resources.

That's kind of like saying Earl Thomas has to get 6 picks every year to justify his huge salary. Thomas's real value comes from how he opens things up for our defense. It's the same thing with Harvin. His presence on the field is going to raise Wilson's passer rating 10-15 points, whether he's throwing to Harvin or not. The "Harvin effect" is about more than his raw totals, when he draws double or triple coverage it allows good receivers like Baldwin, Kearse, Miller, and Willson to win matchups very easily.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
THere was a guy who used to post here all the time. Tea-sizzle I think? I remember him being the biggest and worst Harvin Hater on this board. It was unreal how much that guy trashed the trade and contract. There were a couple of others, but he was the worst, IIRC.

Anyway, it is starting to look like a good trade now.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Copying and pasting a tweet from Harvin about his return is "hating"? There had to be better haterade out there.

Anyway, I think what I was referring to there were the posters who wondered if Percy would ever return that season. I think most had written the idea off, including Pete Carroll who went to the press and threatened to IR Harvin days before he came back.

The mystery surrounding his recovery/non-recovery was intriguing. Carroll had gone on for weeks saying that Harvin had no structural/visually physical issues with his injury. He intimated that the issues were personal to Harvin. Finally, seemingly frustrated himself, Carroll let it spread that he was going to IR Harvin and thus eliminate his eligibility for the playoffs. Days later, Carroll stated that he and Harvin had a "moment of truth" where Harvin finally overcame whatever it was he was dealing with.

I do remember a lot of frustration going around during that time, and some people did go over-the-top, but I understood the sentiment (though not the vitriol from a select few). However, I don't recall a single person ever doubting his skill or his competitiveness on the field.

Let's just all enjoy a full season of The Harvin Effect this year.

mikeak

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":x6msbtfk said:

Yes!!! His performance this preseason has proven to me that he wasn't injured last year!!!

Not only that it proves to me how valuable he is. I think his play has been so much more valuable than his kick-off return in the Super Bowl!!!

Thanks for pointing this out OP - much appreciated!

kearly

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3p0k5wql said:
Looks like August got deleted from the history...but plenty were writing this:

Anyways....funny how football amnesia works. I was hoping a few would come forward and express either their like or dislike for him. I think a lot of the past dislike was due to the fact that they didn't know what we really had and didn't see him with the Vikings. But if there opinion is still the same I was interested as to why.....

Well, who are some of the players you didn't like that you would eat crow on? If someone is wrong it's up to them to come forward on their own and man up to it. Not for someone else to start a thread making fun of them for it. That's just douchey.

Don't get me wrong, I was never a Percy doubter and like you I thought a lot of people were too reactionary last year to his injury. But starting a thinly veiled "eat crow" thread is not the classiest way to draw attention to it.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I see no problem with the OP's thread.. there were some RIDICULOUS over the top statements made about Harvin just 8 months ago. Many were accusing him (Hawkwow especially) of out and out faking it because he got paid, saying to cut him right away and just eat the picks we gave up for him, etc.

Anyway, as fans.. we're all right and wrong on various things. I, of course, was incorrect on Russell Wilson .. but to deny there weren't some ridiculous things said about Harvin is pretty funny too.

10384451_836827049668729_8427693775489126024_n.jpg

bellingerga

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":70wt98mr said:

oh look its another one of these threads.

"I didn't agree with people on something and now im here to gloat about it because by chance I was right and my ego is in definite need of stimulation."

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I still think his contract is a little steep when you think about how much of football is a TEAM sport. Then again when he IS HEALTHY he changes how other teams scheme against the Seahawks offense as a whole, which is great when you have other teams adjusting to the Seahawks offense instead of the other way around.

All I hope for is that he can play in 14 or 15 games at full speed and be ready for another playoff push hopefully. If he plays the majority of the season most people will be just fine with his contract (including all the other players that benefit from him opening up the field for them).

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
kearly":aih1lh6n said:
bjornanderson21":aih1lh6n said:

That's kind of like saying Earl Thomas has to get 6 picks every year to justify his huge salary. Thomas's real value comes from how he opens things up for our defense. It's the same thing with Harvin. His presence on the field is going to raise Wilson's passer rating 10-15 points, whether he's throwing to Harvin or not. The "Harvin effect" is about more than his raw totals, when he draws double or triple coverage it allows good receivers like Baldwin, Kearse, Miller, and Willson to win matchups very easily.

Ya...when harvin has been lined up have we even punted...at all....last year and this year?

Seems to me every time he was in last year and this preseason we have scored either a FG or TD

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with people who are skeptical about Harvin's production given his history, but it is bonkers to think that the FO was not fully aware of the injury risk when they traded for him and threw a ton of money at him.

We were looking at VJax and Marshall for a reason and we went all on in Harvin for a reason, and you only need to look at how good our offense is when he is on the field to understand why. Good decisions are made by looking at the likelihood of every outcome and should never be judged in hind-sight by focusing on one particular outcome that occurred (MMQB determinism syndrome). Similarly, plenty of bad decisions have ended up working out and that doesn't suddenly validate them ("You can't knock it if it worked" nonsense).

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3qokq92w said:
Nope.

I still think Harvin is the most overrated player in the entire nfl. I absolutely hate the trade and contract and my preference would be that he play for any team but my beloved Hawks.

But as long as he doesn't get injured again he wont be completely worthless, just overpaid and overrated.

GO HAWKS
"Beloved Hawks" Yeah, you and T-Sizzle...two peas in a pod.

chris98251

Reaction score
Trade for a player that changes the whole way a defense prepares for your team, increase the stats of the rest of the players that are touching the ball, can play all over the field, doesn't complain that he isn't targeted every play yet should be on any other team but the SEAHAWKS.

Ok, the other team interested in him if I remember correctly was the 49ers. He came here because of TJack and Rice.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Pete is a defensive coach and fully understood the headaches (no pun intended) that Harvin causes defenses. That's why he is here and that's why he makes the big bucks.

CPHawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2uhx9g1v said:
I don't remember it as "hate" (way overrused term, by the way) - but concerns about his stability, and for good reason.

NOBODY has ever said he isn't immensely talented. Not a soul. The only thing with Percy is staying healthy.

Also, we gave him a King's Ransom to be on the field every week and open up our offense. We are seeing it now, but we need to see it in October, December and the playoffs too.

Way too early for a thread like this, and I'm a huge Harvin fan.

Lots of people said Tate was just as good, in my book it's the same as saying Harvin isn't immensely talented.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Plenty of people assume the worst, that's their deal.....
Percy will have an incredible season, and this offense is flat out different w/him.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me how many people have such a wide definition of the word "hate" and throw it around as causally as they do.

But to the OP, no, I have not changed my mind about the wisdom of this trade. One kickoff return in a game that we were going to win with or without him and that he contributed next to nothing to our gaining entry into does not justify the trade. I am expecting much, much more bang for the buck than what Percy has given us to this point in time. No one should call the trade a bust, but by the same token, no one should be trumpeting it, either. The jury is still out, and will remain out for some time.

I will agree that Percy has the ability to transform our offense from a run first, ball control, don't put the defense in a bad position one into a top 5 offense that scores 28 points a game, and that we've been given a glimpse of that potential this preseason. But there was never any doubt about that in the first place, so really, nothing has changed since the day the trade was announced except that he spent nearly all of his first season with us on IR.

Get back to us in mid February with this thread.