Percy Haters, have you changed your mind?

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawksSoc":37ueosxd said:
This is the Jim Harbaugh of threads; unnecessarily hostile and angry, and an irritating distraction from more worthwhile conversation topics.

WInner. and...../thread

Largent80

Reaction score
acer1240":31ph4ngo said:
On 1 kickoff return Percy became worth every pick and dollar we gave up for him.

This is exactly what I told my dad after he ran that one back in the SB.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
NorCalSeahawk":1c44pofa said:
I still think his contract is a little steep when you think about how much of football is a TEAM sport. Then again when he IS HEALTHY he changes how other teams scheme against the Seahawks offense as a whole, which is great when you have other teams adjusting to the Seahawks offense instead of the other way around.

All I hope for is that he can play in 14 or 15 games at full speed and be ready for another playoff push hopefully. If he plays the majority of the season most people will be just fine with his contract (including all the other players that benefit from him opening up the field for them).

Little steep, yeah, until you realize he's able to add:

1500-2000 All-Purpose Yards.
#800-1000 Receiving Yards
#200-300 Rushing Yards
#500-700 Return Yards
7-10 TDs

He's taking pressure off Lynch, because teams are too scared to stack the box.

He's taking pressure off Wilson, because teams are too scared to all out blitz.

He's taking pressure off Baldwin, Kearse, Richardson and the rest of the WRs.

And he opens the middle of the field big time for Miller and Willson.

He's one player but he scares the living hell out of Defensive Coordinators everywhere.

I don't think Peterson rushes for 2000 yards without Harvin acting like an MVP that year, I mean look what AP did last year w/o him.

And his whole injury prone label is not real, its a facade. Look at how many overall touches Harvin got in his time with Minny, look at all the different ways they utilized his abilities, and then look at the way the guy plays. Dude is a tank, a warrior, fearless and the only severe on field injury he suffered was an ankle injury against the most physical D in the game back in 2012. And if it weren't for animosity between him and the Vikings Brass, he likely would have returned after 4-5 weeks but they shut him down and put him on I.R. ending his season with 7 games left.

His other games missed:

3 games due to Migraines
15 games because of Hip Surgery

His migraines are behind him now, and his hip surgery was an ailment that predated the league and was known to be required at some point, neither were really football related injuries or conditions. Both issues seem to be in the past now.

And if I'm not mistaken both Irvin and Chanchellor had the same surgeries to fix their impingements and both have also said the same thing as Harvin, they've never felt more better. (I don't hear anyone worrying about them as much as the hate parade takes it to Harvin)

nanomoz

Reaction score
I still refuse to acknowledge the widespread use of the term "hater."

That said, those arguing that Percy needs to put up "X Stats" to deserve his salary deserve to be urinated on by Nick Nolte.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RiverDog":37737o2c said:
It never ceases to amaze me how many people have such a wide definition of the word "hate" and throw it around as causally as they do.

But to the OP, no, I have not changed my mind about the wisdom of this trade. One kickoff return in a game that we were going to win with or without him and that he contributed next to nothing to our gaining entry into does not justify the trade. I am expecting much, much more bang for the buck than what Percy has given us to this point in time. No one should call the trade a bust, but by the same token, no one should be trumpeting it, either. The jury is still out, and will remain out for some time.

I will agree that Percy has the ability to transform our offense from a run first, ball control, don't put the defense in a bad position one into a top 5 offense that scores 28 points a game, and that we've been given a glimpse of that potential this preseason. But there was never any doubt about that in the first place, so really, nothing has changed since the day the trade was announced except that he spent nearly all of his first season with us on IR.

Get back to us in mid February with this thread.
I thought this was beaten to death last year? You were wrong then you're wrong now and waiting until February won't change either of those facts.

lsheldon

Reaction score
RiverDog":3rjvaqb1 said:
It never ceases to amaze me how many people have such a wide definition of the word "hate" and throw it around as causally as they do.

But to the OP, no, I have not changed my mind about the wisdom of this trade. One kickoff return in a game that we were going to win with or without him and that he contributed next to nothing to our gaining entry into does not justify the trade. I am expecting much, much more bang for the buck than what Percy has given us to this point in time. No one should call the trade a bust, but by the same token, no one should be trumpeting it, either. The jury is still out, and will remain out for some time.

I will agree that Percy has the ability to transform our offense from a run first, ball control, don't put the defense in a bad position one into a top 5 offense that scores 28 points a game, and that we've been given a glimpse of that potential this preseason. But there was never any doubt about that in the first place, so really, nothing has changed since the day the trade was announced except that he spent nearly all of his first season with us on IR.

Percy made very little in actual salary last year comparatively to his overall contract (think 2.5 million), I'm of the opinion his contract was structured like it was because they knew going in he wasn't going to be available much of the year. Did you get the bang for the buck with him last year? Maybe not, but it wasn't as much buck as a lot of people like to make out when compared to 2014-2018 which is what counts now.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3s16x2ab said:
RiverDog":3s16x2ab said:

I thought this was beaten to death last year? You were wrong then you're wrong now and waiting until February won't change either of those facts.

River Dog, needs to check Kearly's thread about Wilson/Harvin...

Maybe the kick return for TD was redudant at that point but it killed absolutely any hope the Broncos had coming out into that half.

Not only that but Tate and Lynch were absolutely shut-down in that game, if Harvin didn't play, do we have the same success on Offense especially the long drives in which we took the Broncos offense on the field, do Baldwin and Kearse still make their plays? Obviously, the two TD catches are undebateable but what about the other catches.

Harvin was more than just a kick return for a TD. He was Kick Ass and his Area of Influence is huge. I cannot remember one player in a long time being able to affect so many different things, in so many different ways with just his presence alone with or without the ball. And he makes it all look so easy, so simple, so beautiful. Just like Wilson and Lynch, Harvin is one of a kind. And that makes the Seahawks mighty.

In other news, Wilson-Lynch-Harvin = The Tri-Force?

chris98251

Reaction score
Harvin's Kick return was the death blow, they lost heart after that. You have to believe they thought they could have adjusted and made a game of it.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":js299yd4 said:
Harvin's Kick return was the death blow, they lost heart after that. You have to believe they thought they could have adjusted and made a game of it.

I know I did

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I think the real issue is the "Always Injured" perception. Up till the ankle injury followed up by his hip he has not been that injury prone. The migraine issue was solved and that is now a non issue.

As for an ankle injury that can happen to anyone at anytime. The hip issue he probably has been dealing with for a very long time and I think it was awesome the Hawks got it done. I really do not see his health being any riskier than anyone else and his skillset is absolutely freakish.

I personally think the whole "Keeping Healthy" narrative has been blown way out of proportion. Why isn't Bobby Wagner in this conversation? He was hurt last year, is hurt this year. He has only been with the team 3 years and yet he does not come up in the conversation, just saying. You can put this narrative on a lot of players.

Harvin is back and healthy and looks as aggressive as ever. I for one expect a MVP type of year out of him.

rigelian

Reaction score
Other than the fact that Harvin seems fearless in throwing his body into much bigger people, there is no rational reason to believe that he's more injury prone than anyone else. One concussion and one ankle injury seems to be the extent of the football injuries that have kept him out of games.

HansGruber

Reaction score
HawksSoc":nsq09jtr said:
This is the Jim Harbaugh of threads; unnecessarily hostile and angry, and an irritating distraction from more worthwhile conversation topics.

FTW

seahawksny

Reaction score
acer1240":3jw9sm00 said:
On 1 kickoff return Percy became worth every pick and dollar we gave up for him.

well said, and VERY accurate.

All worth it in one play

seahawksny

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2h0qf412 said:
acer1240":2h0qf412 said:
You keep telling yourself that a td in early garbage time is worth a ginormous contract and multiple draft picks.

The return was nice, but for what we gave him he needs to be an mvp candidate every damn season.

Last season Harvin and Rice became the most overpaid WR duo in NFL history, and both came from minny with a checkered history and serious question marks.

There is plenty more evidence AGAINST the trade than there is for it. Percy needs to put up 1000+ yards with 10+ tds every year or else it is a poor use of resources.

Put up 1000 + and 10TD+? I suppose Cano needs to put up .349 and 35+ and 120+ also?

Its a team game. He can draw double teams and open up passes for Kearse, Baldwin, Miller, Lynch or anybody. If he catches for 500+, and Doug catches for 1000 and Kearse lets say 700? I would have a hard time believing his acquisition is anything but a success

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawksny":2crwsczv said:
Put up 1000 + and 10TD+? I suppose Cano needs to put up .349 and 35+ and 120+ also?

Not the same because Cano was a free agent, the M's didn't give up extremely valuable draft picks..........which in the NFL with a hard cap is the MOST valuable league for draft picks.

I don't think it's unfair to say that Percy hasn't earned what we gave up for him............yet.

RiverDog

Reaction score
chris98251":17bv5bav said:

The "death blow" IMO was Smith's pick 6. That put us up 3 TD's going into halftime, which put the game into the improbable category. 95% of teams with that big of a halftime lead end up winning those games, especially when you consider we had a shutout going. Heck, even Denver sensed it, passing up a chip shot FG attempt late in the first half to go for it on 4th and 2. What the KO return did was take that 95% up to about 99%. The game was so lopsided that there was no single player on our team that would have made a difference had they not been available. TJack, for example, could have won that game had Russell not been available. It was that one sided.

Having said that, I am very optimistic that this trade is going to work out. Harvin contributes more to our offense than yards and receptions. His presence changes how defenses play us, and makes the rest of our receivers better. The only qualifiers I'll add is that so long as he stays healthy and keeps his head screwed on straight, and so far, all systems are 'Go'.