Pete and this entire team needs to be let go right now

minormillikin

Reaction score
I think it was about 5 or 6 seasons ago I predicted we were entering a long period of mediocrity. It probably actually started right after losing the Super Bowl against the Patriots.

Mediocrity is worse than just being bad, because when a team is bad they're willing to make big changes, including moving popular players and firing coaches.

Mediocre teams always seem to be on the verge of success, so they mainly stick with the status quo and hope small improvements will get them back to a high level, but I don't think that ever works out.

This isn't unique to the Seahawks, I think it's mainly a result of the salary cap system and rookie contracts (that get expensive when you want to re-sign them).

Unfortunately the only way to escape is to become bad, by parting ways with your most expensive players, then stocking up on young, cheap talent. Then, if things work out (no guarantee), you might have a 4-5 year window to add some veterans, make a deep playoff run or two, then probably start the mediocrity cycle again.

It's possible if Paul Allen was still alive, he'd be willing to blow it up and start over. But, with a less-interested owner, we'll probably just see the mediocrity continue as long as there's profit.

I've been saying it for years, and I hate it, but... The Seahawks are just like the Mariners now. We're not terrible, fairly competitive, and it always looks like there's a chance next year. And lots of nostalgia. LOB, beast quake, Edgar Martinez in 1995, 116 wins...

OP
OP
S

strohmin

Reaction score
I think it was about 5 or 6 seasons ago I predicted we were entering a long period of mediocrity. It probably actually started right after losing the Super Bowl against the Patriots.

Mediocrity is worse than just being bad, because when a team is bad they're willing to make big changes, including moving popular players and firing coaches.

Mediocre teams always seem to be on the verge of success, so they mainly stick with the status quo and hope small improvements will get them back to a high level, but I don't think that ever works out.

This isn't unique to the Seahawks, I think it's mainly a result of the salary cap system and rookie contracts (that get expensive when you want to re-sign them).

Unfortunately the only way to escape is to become bad, by parting ways with your most expensive players, then stocking up on young, cheap talent. Then, if things work out (no guarantee), you might have a 4-5 year window to add some veterans, make a deep playoff run or two, then probably start the mediocrity cycle again.

It's possible if Paul Allen was still alive, he'd be willing to blow it up and start over. But, with a less-interested owner, we'll probably just see the mediocrity continue as long as there's profit.

I've been saying it for years, and I hate it, but... The Seahawks are just like the Mariners now. We're not terrible, fairly competitive, and it always looks like there's a chance next year. And lots of nostalgia. LOB, beast quake, Edgar Martinez in 1995, 116 wins...
Ive felt this way since 2017. I gave it 1 year after the superbowl loss and it was cleaf that they were done as contenders.

DeSeahawk

Reaction score

Yeah ! It always seems like its NEXT year that looks really promising. I'm tired of waiting. That next year never comes and I dont see it coming with Pete.

seahawksny

Reaction score

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'm guessing the op is assuming John, not Pete, picked the players in the past 2 drafts. If we only keep players acquired from the last 2 seasons(Lockett being the exception), then we'd have a good core to build around.

I would just get rid of all the coaches and see what someone else could do. I would keep Hurt for another year and give him full control on defense just to see what he looks like without Pete.
Hurtt's just as big a problem as Pete right now.

cymatica

Reaction score
Hurtt's just as big a problem as Pete right now.
You're probably right and I wouldn't bat an eye if he was gone, it's more of a curiosity of what he would look like without Pete. Waldron, on the other hand, is terrible with no hope of getting better any time soon.

OP
OP
S

strohmin

Reaction score
which other Seahawk coach won a super bowl?
I dont care about other loser head coaches. Pete won a super bowl and then Pete threw away superbowl and hasnt done anything meaningful since then. The stench of that superbowl has destroyed Pete as a competent head coach and the Seahawks need to get rid of it and start fresh.