Pete Carroll supporting Sarkisian all the way..

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2mf8ssst said:
LymonHawk":2mf8ssst said:
RunTheBall":2mf8ssst said:
Siouxhawk":2mf8ssst said:
He's supporting a friend with a disease. What would you expect?

Feel sorry for those tying in sophomoric comments about our OC into this serious post. Just shows their character IMHO
Disease? Not a disease at all... More like being drunk moron, no one to blame but Sark himself.

You don't believe drug addiction is a disease?

I don't. I understand that they call it that, but I think of a disease as something that can't be stopped by will power. I understand some people have a genetic predisposition to addiction--my family has been turned upside down by it--but if those people don't try it, you can't become addicted. It's just that simple.
Now thats not very PC of you. Calling it a disease takes away accountability on the addicts part.

That's what we do now. Blame something or someone else for mistakes we ourselves make.

Go shoot up a school! Blame the gun.
Drink destructively? I gots a disease.

chris98251

Reaction score
Before this turns into a pissing contest, lets agree that addiction to anything can be life altering, some people mask it better then others for a while but for most it is a ticking time bomb. Everyone around is affected whether it's compensating or enabling or on the abusive end or neglect or a victim.

Thats drinking, gambling, drugs, smoking etc.

Some addictions are more destructive then others, but all are bad since a substance or a behavior has taken your will power away as far as choice and made it a need to have physically and or mentally.

I hope he finds the right avenue to get his ability to choose again, and that he decides to choose a different path and not go down one that has proven it can beat him and he doesn't have the will power to limit.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Wouldn't expect anything else from a classy guy like Pete.

Sark clearly has a major problem. Hopefully he is able to get the help he needs. Addiction is no joke.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3ee2z06n said:
I guarendamntee any of the people here and elsewhere that are making light of or marginalizing Sark's addiction problem have never seen up close what addiction does to a person and their loved ones/family.

Bingo.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I think there is a middle ground though.

Someone with a drinking problem can choose to go get help. Many brought the problem on themselves.

Someone with a life altering disease may be at the mercy of the disease. I don't think they are exactly the same.

Sark clearly needs help....but he had a HUGE wakeup call opportunity 6 weeks ago. He chose not to address his problem. He made a choice. And hence, the consequences.

chris98251

Reaction score
If you have been close to a person with addiction this is common, denial, then I can handle it my self, I can say no, people don't know what I am going thru. etc etc.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawkpower":cj1x2x1v said:

Someone with a drinking problem can choose to go get help. Many brought the problem on themselves.

Someone with a life altering disease may be at the mercy of the disease. I don't think they are exactly the same.

Sark clearly needs help....but he had a HUGE wakeup call opportunity 6 weeks ago. He chose not to address his problem. He made a choice. And hence, the consequences.

It's not that cut and dry though.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":20dc9j0x said:
Hawkpower":20dc9j0x said:

It's not that cut and dry though.

Probably not.

But again, there is a middle ground between the people that think all he has to do is quit buying Patron and the people who are praying for a recovery and feeling sorrow for his unfortunate, unavoidable disease. The truth is in between.

I hope he gets his life on track. But I'm not going to lump him in with the guy battling ALS or Parkinsons either. That's not fair. It may be outta control now, but he still made many, many choices along the way that landed him where he is.

Choices.

Tical21

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2hltmwv6 said:
Siouxhawk":2hltmwv6 said:
hawknation2015":2hltmwv6 said:
Siouxhawk":2hltmwv6 said:
I like the way our coach does things. Coming off of two Super Bowls, he knows what he is doing. Bevell is the right fit for the job.

Unless, Carroll decides he is not the right fit for the job, likely following this season. In which case, you will suffer from a bit of schizophrenia: supporting every Carroll decision, while at the same time believing that Bevell is in no way responsible for any of the offense's previous inconsistencies. Good luck with that.
So, you're giving up on this season? Die-hard I see. SMH

No, I believe Carroll has shown to be more than capable to make up for the failings of his below average play callers. He did it with Kiffin and Sarkisian AND Bevell. I have no doubt he can do it again. But it's going to take a herculean effort by the defense, and well as some adjustments that he will need to implement himself on the offensive side, i.e. Jimmy Graham to Split End.

Last year, he went public about the need to return to our philosophy of running the ball, and not abandoning the run, as Bevell had done in several early-season losses. We did ultimately adjust, only to lose the Super Bowl in similar fashion.

Having a big receiver at Split End has been a corps offensive philosophy of Carroll's for many years, dating back to Mike Williams at SC. Now, there is a growing need to move Graham to Split End to give Wilson to clearer line of sight and to allow Graham to dominate outside. Eventually, I hope Carroll takes the reins, overrides Bevell, and makes it happen, as he did last year with the running game.
We've tried Jimmy Graham at split end numerous times with literally zero success. I don't even think he's caught a ball from out there. If we can't complete passes to wide receivers that don't create separation, why do you think we're going to be successful throwing to a guy that gets even less?

Steve Sarkisian authored the two best single games of playcalling that I have ever seen. At his best, he is one of the five best playcallers on he planet.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3186g3h9 said:
LymonHawk":3186g3h9 said:
RunTheBall":3186g3h9 said:
Siouxhawk":3186g3h9 said:

Feel sorry for those tying in sophomoric comments about our OC into this serious post. Just shows their character IMHO
Disease? Not a disease at all... More like being drunk moron, no one to blame but Sark himself.

You don't believe drug addiction is a disease?

I don't. I understand that they call it that, but I think of a disease as something that can't be stopped by will power. I understand some people have a genetic predisposition to addiction--my family has been turned upside down by it--but if those people don't try it, you can't become addicted. It's just that simple.

What about food? How many people in this Country are overweight and literally killing themselves by overeating. Think that all of them can just snap their fingers and poof they stop eating the crap that makes them so overweight? Or maybe as you suggest, they should not try to eat food in the first place?

Are you denying there are mental diseases? Addiction is a mental disease; can't you understand that? Why do you think we have so many mental facilities in this Country? Because with just a little 'will power' they can fix themselves?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I don't. I understand that they call it that, but I think of a disease as something that can't be stopped by will power. I understand some people have a genetic predisposition to addiction--my family has been turned upside down by it--but if those people don't try it, you can't become addicted. It's just that simple.[/quote]

What about food? How many people in this Country are overweight and literally killing themselves by overeating. Think that all of them can just snap their fingers and poof they stop eating the crap that makes them so overweight? Or maybe as you suggest, they should not try to eat food in the first place?

Are you denying there are mental diseases? Addiction is a mental disease; can't you understand that? Why do you think we have so many mental facilities in this Country? Because with just a little 'will power' they can fix themselves?[/quote]

Sark didnt catch Alcoholism. Nor did it strike him out of no fault of his own.

Comparing being an alcoholic to being born with an unavoidable disease is kind of insulting.

I sympathize with the struggle, I just think they are different things.

Threedee

Reaction score
I don't consider the Drunk Sark > Sober Bevell meme to be demeaning to Sark and his current problems. Everyone living in the Seattle area, or in PAC-12 country must recognize that he took an 0-12 team and transformed it into an above average program. I got discounted tickets for Veterans Day weekend 2012, and came out to watch the Huskies destroy Colorado, and I was impressed with Sark.

All the meme really means is that every NFL play caller, and many Division I FBS play callers, are all better than Bevell - which they, of course, are. When Sark gets past the heartbreak of his wife leaving him, and beats his addiction, I would love to see him return to Seattle and replace Bevell.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Threedee":15mbzxa9 said:
I don't consider the Drunk Sark > Sober Bevell meme to be demeaning to Sark and his current problems. Everyone living in the Seattle area, or in PAC-12 country must recognize that he took an 0-12 team and transformed it into an above average program. I got discounted tickets for Veterans Day weekend 2012, and came out to watch the Huskies destroy Colorado, and I was impressed with Sark.

All the meme really means is that every NFL play caller, and many Division I FBS play callers, are all better than Bevell - which they, of course, are. When Sark gets past the heartbreak of his wife leaving him, and beats his addiction, I would love to see him return to Seattle and replace Bevell.

That UW team that Sark took over had multiple NFL players all over its roster. They only were 0-12 the year before because their QB ws lost for the season and they had no viable back up signal caller

Sark took over an average program and kept it average. His nickname was 7 win steve for a reason.

Had you watched the UW-SC game last Thursday, you also know the only way UW was going to win that game was if Sark quit running the ball. Sure enough, he did was Sark does, got cute. and UW predictably won a game they had no business winning.

Sark is not a good play caller, nor is he a good coach. Bevell is awful too, but Sark is no upgrade.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3lbxu67a said:
That UW team that Sark took over had multiple NFL players all over its roster. They only were 0-12 the year before because their QB ws lost for the season and they had no viable back up signal caller

Sark took over an average program and kept it average. His nickname was 7 win steve for a reason.

Had you watched the UW-SC game last Thursday, you also know the only way UW was going to win that game was if Sark quit running the ball. Sure enough, he did was Sark does, got cute. and UW predictably won a game they had no business winning.

Sark is not a good play caller, nor is he a good coach. Bevell is awful too, but Sark is no upgrade.

Who were the multiple NFL players on the team when Sark took over in 2009? Unless a bunch of UW guys ended up sticking in the NFL as UDFAs, I think you're mistaken.

UW had no one drafted in 2008 or 2009. In 2010, following Sark's first season, 2 guys were drafted. 2 more were drafted in each of the following 2 drafts and 1 player in the 2013 draft. That's 7 drafted players in 4 years.

There have been 6 UW players drafted in the last 2 years.

If Sark "left the cupboard bare," when he exited UW (as some have stated), Willingham left the team with a cupboard missing shelves and a door by comparison.

Sark has his issues both on and off the field, but let's not pretend he took over a team that just needed a few tweaks. The team had 18 wins in the 5 seasons prior to 2009. Even if you remove that 0-12 year in '08, that's an average of 4.5 wins a year between 2003-2007 (and 6 of them were in 2003--making 2004-2007 look even worse).

The Huskies flat out stunk when Sark got there.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
sc85sis":3jz2009b said:
Hawkpower":3jz2009b said:

Who were the multiple NFL players on the team when Sark took over in 2009? Unless a bunch of UW guys ended up sticking in the NFL as UDFAs, I think you're mistaken.

UW had no one drafted in 2008 or 2009. In 2010, following Sark's first season, 2 guys were drafted. 2 more were drafted in each of the following 2 drafts and 1 player in the 2013 draft. That's 7 drafted players in 4 years.

There have been 6 UW players drafted in the last 2 years.

If Sark "left the cupboard bare," when he exited UW (as some have stated), Willingham left the team with a cupboard missing shelves and a door by comparison.

Sark has his issues both on and off the field, but let's not pretend he took over a team that just needed a few tweaks. The team had 18 wins in the 5 seasons prior to 2009. Even if you remove that 0-12 year in '08, that's an average of 4.5 wins a year between 2003-2007 (and 6 of them were in 2003--making 2004-2007 look even worse).

The Huskies flat out stunk when Sark got there.

I think you had to have lived through that season as a Huskies fan to appreciate how a relatively talented team just gave up on Willingham after the loss of Jake Locker and no viable QB on the roster behind him. Our RB, Chris Polk, was also lost for the season after that brutal 2nd game. That was an incredibly tough schedule, as well, with some controversial losses, i.e. BYU.

Sark did leave the cupboard bare at some critical positions, in particular the entire secondary, QB, and RB. It is my feeling that he would have been fired from UW, even without the alcohol/prescription drug issues. Ultimately, UW is a stronger program today without Sark.

Our trajectory is looking good under Chris Petersen, one of the winningest coaches in college football with two BCS wins. He still owns the highest winning percentage of any active coach in FBS (84%), despite having to rebuild those critical position groups at UW. No one thought he would be able to field a competitive team this season, but that is what they done in every game, with 12 first and second year players starting. Hopefully, USC's Pat Haden will make a good hire as well.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I agree that Sark underperformed at UW in the last year or so of his time there. But to imply he didn't improve the team at all is just patently false. He didn't go from average to average, he took them from lousy to average. That's not a stellar resume but it doesn't totally suck either. And it was his first job as a head coach.

Took Pete three times to get it right.

Rob12

Reaction score
Sark just pissed away his dream job. I mean, coaching USC was his dream from day one. And he gave it away.. You don't do that when you're in your right frame of mind.

Support Sark. This dude needs it right now. He may have made a lot of mistakes, but this thing has gripped ahold of him. It's sad. So damn sad.

I'm conservative, and I believe greatly in personal accountability. But again, he just chose this addiction over his dream job. That is telling. I hope he gets the help he needs. I hope he buys in to the fact that he is helpless over this monster. I hope he realizes he has the time and the resources to take his life back.

Come on Sark. Pull it together.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
LymonHawk":3m9ip6ot said:

Other in the media have suggested he will get a spot on our coaching staff. I feel sorry for u

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Hawkpower":20ypxbs2 said:

Are you denying there are mental diseases? Addiction is a mental disease; can't you understand that? Why do you think we have so many mental facilities in this Country? Because with just a little 'will power' they can fix themselves?

9 Sark didnt catch Alcoholism. Nor did it strike him out of no fault of his own.

Comparing being an alcoholic to being born with an unavoidable disease is kind of insulting.

Take offense or not but this topic is out of several people's scope. The American Medical Association can speak to this topic better than anyone in this thread.

The American Medical Association (AMA) had declared that alcoholism was an illness in 1956. In 1991, The AMA further endorsed the dual classification of alcoholism by the International Classification of Diseases under both psychiatric and medical sections.

Also the definition of disease from the dictionary
NOUN

a disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, especially one that produces specific signs or symptoms or that affects a specific location and is not simply a direct result of physical injury:

"bacterial meningitis is a rare disease"

synonyms: illness · sickness · ill health · infection · ailment · 

[more]

a particular quality, habit, or disposition regarded as adversely affecting a person or group of people:

"departmental administration has often led to the dread disease of departmentalitis"

I don't recall Sark sharing his HiPPA protected info such as diagnosis, so what he has is or doesn't is not something we know- unless he did share his multiaxial diagnosis? With the problems he does have due to alcohol a diagnosis of alcohol addiction is not far fetched.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
HawkMeat":1w5kpsyg said:
Hawkpower":1w5kpsyg said:

9 Sark didnt catch Alcoholism. Nor did it strike him out of no fault of his own.

Take offense or not but this topic is out of several people's scope. The American Medical Association can speak to this topic better than anyone in this thread.

The American Medical Association (AMA) had declared that alcoholism was an illness in 1956. In 1991, The AMA further endorsed the dual classification of alcoholism by the International Classification of Diseases under both psychiatric and medical sections.

Also the definition of disease from the dictionary
NOUN

a disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, especially one that produces specific signs or symptoms or that affects a specific location and is not simply a direct result of physical injury:

"bacterial meningitis is a rare disease"

synonyms: illness · sickness · ill health · infection · ailment · 

[more]

a particular quality, habit, or disposition regarded as adversely affecting a person or group of people:

"departmental administration has often led to the dread disease of departmentalitis"

I don't recall Sark sharing his HiPPA protected info such as diagnosis, so what he has is or doesn't is not something we know- unless he did share his multiaxial diagnosis? With the problems he does have due to alcohol a diagnosis of alcohol addiction is not far fetched.

Not denying that it is classified as a disease.

I just think it belongs in a category in and of itself. It should not be compared to disease that is developed through no fault of its host, in my opinion.

I think it can be a slippery slope as well when we start absolving individuals of personal responsibility for their health and their actions. Hence the importance, IMO, for the distinction.