Pete Carroll & the Seahawks working on extension - RapSheet

THE TABS

Reaction score
I'll make a very bold prediction here; the deal gets done. :D

Carroll is so much more than I'd thought he'd be. He'll retire here.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
THE TABS":fosupyvj said:
I'll make a very bold prediction here; the deal gets done. :D

Carroll is so much more than I'd thought he'd be. He'll retire here.

Hehe! I was sooooo wrong about Pete Carroll! I used to roll my eyes at his press conferences, which sounded like hollow corporate slogans, as well as his unremarkable NFL career to that point. I also thought 'you've got to be kidding me!' when he said he would continue to run things exactly as he did in college. I truly believed that approach wouldn't work in the NFL. Appears that he didn't actually implement everything he did in college at the pro level, but he kept the underlying philosophy intact and made the necessary adjustments. I couldn't be happier now, and I still feel a sense of relief as I write this.
Slogans with legs are not merely slogans. He wasn't just saying what we wanted to hear; he told us exactly what he intended to accomplish (although highly paraphrased in cliché form), and carried it out! Very impressive!

THE TABS

Reaction score
Here's my Pete Carroll confessional.

When we hired him, I considered him the lesser of two evils. Jim Mora was an unmitigated disaster, and he deserved to be a one-and-done. Carroll was looking to bail with all the impending sanctions coming down at SC, and he made the intelligent play of demanding final say in personnel decisions. His ability to recognize talent was what surprised me the most, and choosing JS to be the GM was a stroke of genius on his part. Carroll came in and changed the toxic culture than Mora had left behind, and he and JS went about drafting and developing the team we have today.

Having said that, the game changer was Russell Wilson. He is to Carroll what Tom Brady has been for Bill Belichick. Without the QB, you can't win in today's game. Belichick and Carroll both had losing records as NFL head coaches prior to striking gold at QB. Not diminishing what Carroll has done here, but the two positions do go hand in hand.

drdiags

Reaction score
Took some brass ones to start Wilson his rookie season and stick with him through that first half of 2012. The sports talk shows and many here were really salty because of Flynn not getting a chance. Never watched Pete closely when he was at SC but knew he turned them around and his teams were respected in the college game.

The disaster that was Mike's last season and then the downward spiral that was Jim Mora's year here, I figured the hire was worth the risk. Coach has my respect and admiration for what he has done here. What he did prior didn't matter to me. It was what could he do with the opportunity he had when he was hired here. Getting the Seahawks to play tough, hard-nose football was what I had hoped for with this team. Knox didn't have a ton of named players on his teams but early on he put out a team that was like a mean, junkyard dog.

Pete did that and more on defense and it seems is getting his offense to a point where you can count on consistency for the next few years.

KK84

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1pgrzsp2 said:
Shane Falco":1pgrzsp2 said:
I don't think his rah-rah approach is gonna work here. We should move on.
Yeah pro athletes will never respond to that stuff.
The little birdies that talk to Warren Sapp concur.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I always thought that he would be a winner here. Superbowl? Honestly? No. But as a Seahawks fan my entire life it had been beaten into my head that winning the superbowl was for other teams. Not the Seahawks. To be year to year favorites has far exceeded what I'm accustomed to.

But I always thought he would win, mainly because they gave him all the power. I figured his rah rah style would work because those who didn't buy in were down the road. That comes from having the power.

THE TABS

Reaction score
drdiags":15txvh4r said:
Took some brass ones to start Wilson his rookie season and stick with him through that first half of 2012. The sports talk shows and many here were really salty because of Flynn not getting a chance. Never watched Pete closely when he was at SC but knew he turned them around and his teams were respected in the college game.

It wasn't that Wilson won the job, it was that Flynn LOST IT. If you recall the first two preseason games, Flynn was Captain Checkdown in game one, and in game two, he spent all of his reps trying to get down timing with a 41 year old Terrell Owens, who had absolutely no chance whatsoever of making the team.

Flynn needed to come in and be Kurt Warner circa 1999, and he just didn't have the ability to be that guy. It was painfully obvious that he didn't the tools to be a legit starter.

Wilson, on the other hand, made us a better team as soon as he stepped on the field. He took us to 11-5 that year, whereas we'd have been lucky to go 7-9 with Flynn. To me, it didn't take brass ones on Carroll's part; it was simple common sense.

chris98251

Reaction score
THE TABS":1g6c4ed4 said:
drdiags":1g6c4ed4 said:

It wasn't that Wilson won the job, it was that Flynn LOST IT. If you recall the first two preseason games, Flynn was Captain Checkdown in game one, and in game two, he spent all of his reps trying to get down timing with a 41 year old Terrell Owens, who had absolutely no chance whatsoever of making the team.

Flynn needed to come in and be Kurt Warner circa 1999, and he just didn't have the ability to be that guy. It was painfully obvious that he didn't the tools to be a legit starter.

Wilson, on the other hand, made us a better team as soon as he stepped on the field. He took us to 11-5 that year, whereas we'd have been lucky to go 7-9 with Flynn. To me, it didn't take brass ones on Carroll's part; it was simple common sense.

If you watched the pre season game against KC you knew it was no contest, all that was left for Flynn to do was say No Mas.

drdiags

Reaction score
THE TABS":31j30d0e said:
drdiags":31j30d0e said:

The move was obvious but try telling that to the loud mouths that were screaming for his head and bitching about blowing a championship defense (the very defense that couldn't hold a lead in Atlanta, but that is another story). It took commitment to put up with the naysayers outside and inside the building. Lets not act like all was good in Seahawks-land with Wilson's early struggles. I had to put up with a few of those jokers early in his rookie season.

But that is in the past. I agree with you but I do know the history of what the temperature was during the early Pete days. Folks were ready to pull out the pitch forks. Hugh, Softy, Hawkblogger, Mitch, Jerry Brewer ... yada yada yada.

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
Agreed that Pete is a way more talented leader than I ever thought he was before he became Seahawks head coach. His whole approach is exactly the way I hope to be a leader in my own profession. Give clear expectations, offer corrections/answer questions and go with the guys who do the best job. Seniority can be a tie breaker but you can't cut an employee that out performs another employee IMO.
The thing that impresses me most is the way he realized that he needs a core philosophy and attitude to get his players to buy in and to know what to do when the going gets tough. I love the "ride or die" attitude that is prevalent throughout the Seahawks organization!
I have been a fan since 1976 and I am so proud of how well the team has performed since Holmgren took over and pulled our franchise out of the "KB" tailspin that almost took us to LA. Three Superbowls in 10 Years is impressive. Would have been better if we had won more than one but I am really excited to see what the Seahawks do over the next five years.
Get Carroll signed ASAP! He has taken the organization that Holmgren brought to the upper echelon of NFL Franchises and blazed a trail to set an example for other franchises to model after. I'm always all in!

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":4qgkb73x said:
In 2014 Carroll told the TNT he’d like to coach the Seahawks for another 10 years

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... rylink=cpy

Yeah unless something drastic occurs - I think he is going to coach until Wilson is done kind of like Brady/Belichick though when Brady retires - Belichick might hang around a bit longer just cause of age and the new challenge but I wouldn't be surprised if they retire the same year.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Pro forma that this gets done IMO.

The only interesting question I think is if the extension is for three years, four years, or five years.

If it's for five years I think that means PC is sincere about wanting to go another 8 or so, and seeing the team through it's next salary cap transition in 2019. Three or four years means he might want to hang it up timed with that.

Chapow

Reaction score
Too short. He'll only ever be a back up coach.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Haven't seen it here, but Snieders contract is up this year. It might be a point of interest.

Cartire

Reaction score
Bobblehead":25nv4phv said:
Haven't seen it here, but Snieders contract is up this year. It might be a point of interest.

No way JS doesnt re-up. The Seahawks right now are perennial contenders. No GM or Head Coach is leaving this job unless they are fired. Which wont happen for awhile, if ever.