Pete Carrols philosphy

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I loved Pete Carroll's philosophy in the beginning, as it caught a lot of our opponents off guard, it forced Coaches around the League to rethink and adapt, but in the last couple Years we've seen teams do an excellent job of doing just that.
The Broncos for example, has taken Pete's philosophy to heart, and set out to embellish on it, spent the money and are staying fluid to whatever changes they need to make to stay in the upper echelon.
That kind of "Fluidity" is necessary, and a constant tweaking in all aspects of the game is also a necessity....<-- "Always Compete" means not staying "Vanilla"

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Aside from some early success from CMike to show for it, we can't yet point to a power running game but: wrt the O Line it seems to me that the power game is exactly why we have the guys we do have. Ideally the slightly smaller/quicker Gilliam would be at LT as originally envisioned but the other 4 are physical monsters, even Rees and Fant as their backups.

kf3339

Reaction score
Seymour":3lwwj8x7 said:
kf3339":3lwwj8x7 said:
Two things about this article:

1. It only discusses his basic philosophy of a run first offense. It states nowhere how play calls are to be decided and at what point in a offensive series or the game itself adjustments should be made by the OC.

2. Nowhere does it discuss how PC himself when faced with inadequate personnel to run his philosophy makes him adjust to this reality to give his offense the tools to score enough points to win the game.

I seriously doubt that PC himself will be so stubborn as to stick with a plan that has no chance of success to just prove a point about "his philosophy". He adjusted out of this philosophy the second half of last year with great success. It should have been completely obvious to PC, DB, TC and every other member of the offensive brain trust that they don't have the horses to run "his philosophy" right now.

So you adjust or you lose. We are 0-2 with only 15 points scored and one TD in 8 quarters. That is the reality.

You have to prove yourself again each new year. Past results are in the past. Great coaches, CEO's, business founders, ect. don't rest on their past accomplishments. They also adapt when environments in business, society and yes even football may be changing. The really great ones see the change before it happens and set the tone. PC in many ways did that with his defense. The issue is the offense.

Reality? Last I checked we are 1-1????

That's right. I corrected my RTD. Care to guess our record going forward if we continue to score only 7.5 points a game?

kf3339

Reaction score
scutterhawk":v80dcb26 said:
I loved Pete Carroll's philosophy in the beginning, as it caught a lot of our opponents off guard, it forced Coaches around the League to rethink and adapt, but in the last couple Years we've seen teams do an excellent job of doing just that.
The Broncos for example, has taken Pete's philosophy to heart, and set out to embellish on it, spent the money and are staying fluid to whatever changes they need to make to stay in the upper echelon.
That kind of "Fluidity" is necessary, and a constant tweaking in all aspects of the game is also a necessity....<-- "Always Compete" means not staying "Vanilla"

Exactly.

Seymour

Reaction score
kf3339":japxhz4x said:
Seymour":japxhz4x said:
kf3339":japxhz4x said:

1. It only discusses his basic philosophy of a run first offense. It states nowhere how play calls are to be decided and at what point in a offensive series or the game itself adjustments should be made by the OC.

2. Nowhere does it discuss how PC himself when faced with inadequate personnel to run his philosophy makes him adjust to this reality to give his offense the tools to score enough points to win the game.

I seriously doubt that PC himself will be so stubborn as to stick with a plan that has no chance of success to just prove a point about "his philosophy". He adjusted out of this philosophy the second half of last year with great success. It should have been completely obvious to PC, DB, TC and every other member of the offensive brain trust that they don't have the horses to run "his philosophy" right now.

So you adjust or you lose. We are 0-2 with only 15 points scored and one TD in 8 quarters. That is the reality.

You have to prove yourself again each new year. Past results are in the past. Great coaches, CEO's, business founders, ect. don't rest on their past accomplishments. They also adapt when environments in business, society and yes even football may be changing. The really great ones see the change before it happens and set the tone. PC in many ways did that with his defense. The issue is the offense.

That's right. I corrected my RTD. Care to guess our record going forward if we continue to score only 7.5 points a game?

Care to guess? That is all anyone could do, not like there is a correct answer. But no, that is near impossible it will continue and never would happen so why bother?

kf3339

Reaction score
Seymour":1aa6ga2t said:
kf3339":1aa6ga2t said:
Seymour":1aa6ga2t said:
kf3339":1aa6ga2t said:

Care to guess? That is all anyone could do, not like there is a correct answer. But no, that is near impossible it will continue and never would happen so why bother?

I see. So like it never would happen that our team would only score a total of 15 points in our first two games. I get it now.

But your comments have nothing to do with the basis of my full comments, so why bother.

StoneCold

Reaction score
kf3339":15asuac3 said:
Seymour":15asuac3 said:
kf3339":15asuac3 said:

Again this is a silly question. Not team that scores 7.5 points a game will have a very good record. Are you predicting that's all this team is capable of scoring?

themunn

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":35rcvqd5 said:
Maybe, the fact is the Hawks are in dead last for yards per carry, and the scary stat I saw is that the paltry 2.7 ypc they're getting all of it except for .4 yards is AFTER contact.

So Cable can say all he wants about the RB's not being patient, but when they can't even go a whole yard without getting hammered..............that's the line, not RB patience.

Guessing arithmetic not your strong point? 2.7 less .4 = 2.3 yards before they're getting touched

Sometimes holes take longer to open, so if you run straight in before that's happened you might cut before the gap appears and, oh, it's too late you're being tackled.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
themunn":nrz83er2 said:
Sgt. Largent":nrz83er2 said:
Maybe, the fact is the Hawks are in dead last for yards per carry, and the scary stat I saw is that the paltry 2.7 ypc they're getting all of it except for .4 yards is AFTER contact.

So Cable can say all he wants about the RB's not being patient, but when they can't even go a whole yard without getting hammered..............that's the line, not RB patience.

Guessing arithmetic not your strong point? 2.7 less .4 = 2.3 yards before they're getting touched

Sometimes holes take longer to open, so if you run straight in before that's happened you might cut before the gap appears and, oh, it's too late you're being tackled.

In the Rams game the stats got skewed quite badly, especially by one play where Rawls got ridden almost 15 yds backwards before going down, which is where the refs blew the whistle and spotted it.

Seymour

Reaction score
kf3339":26ifdl8d said:
I see. So like it never would happen that our team would only score a total of 15 points in our first two games. I get it now.

But your comments have nothing to do with the basis of my full comments, so why bother.

What the?? You asked if I care to guess the record going forward if we average 7.5 PPG. Who cares, we are not going to average that for 16 games, and nobody knows what the other team scores so this is senseless psychobabble. :177692:

chris98251

Reaction score
2.7 is well below average no matter how you look at it, also Rawls has had limited touches, they are getting 2.3 yards from blocking is the indication and only .4 yards after contact, this is another indication they are going down on first contact, not a real great stat to represent the backs we have playing. That's basically falling forward.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Well if Pete is responsible for the asinine calls and in doing so ruining Bevel's career then he owes it to Bevel to set the record strait.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":nb9a0unr said:
Alas, maybe everyone should gain some perspective now as to these slow starts, as applied to both games and season.

Pete wants to dominate our foes with the running game by wearing them down in the first half and then imposing our will in the second half. It sounds like he's hoping Rawls will be the bell cow. Pete also loves the big-strike play, also made possible by the run game as defenses crowd the box.

He's not going to change his ways people. For those of you clamoring for as much scoring in the early quarters as the later ones, I'd advise you to embrace Pete's philosophy and be patient with the system or find a new endeavor to occupy your Sundays for the sake of your well-being. 'Cause he's not going to change anytime soon.

You made some good points here Sioux.

Pete is seemingly ever trying to recapture the 2013 team. That team executed his entire philosophy on offense and defense to his idea of perfection and substantiated his modern theory on the game. The problem now is that he keeps trying to fit these square 2016 pegs and duds into that 2013 round hole of success.

Notoriously stubborn Pete will seemingly not alter the offense or defense much at all. It is indeed his offensive theory that we're seeing and it's very frustrating that he just doesn't appear to want to adapt to the changing scene. More frustrating is that he did adjust some last year by adding spread features and now, it's gone again.

And while it's Pete's overall offensive design we see, what is maddening regarding Bevell though is different, i.e. the situational playcalling fiascos (Collins back to back, Graham not sent out for a redzone route, hurt Wilson RO, strange personnel split wide, continuous empty set on short yardage, no play action unless it's 3rd and long, no standard RB screens or other basic plays to defeat a blitz etc. etc.) So while everyone agrees the line is a disaster and injuries are compounding problems, there's still the feeling that with the talent we do have, we should simply be a little better on offense right now.

What is concerning to me and others regarding the big picture is that despite all our success the last several years, there's still this underlying feeling that this window won't last forever and we don't want to sink back into Seahawk mediocrity. Wilson may not be able to scramble like he used to and create improv magic for years and years. The defense may only have a couple more years in their prime, if that-no guarantee that we'll be able to reload. The real fear is that lifetime fans like myself who grew up in the Patera and Knox eras, who suffered through decades of always disappointing subpar football, won't have a true championship contender again for awhile. Make no mistake, I'm certainly hopeful Pete and Co. can get things turned around and our season is far from over, but it's just disturbing what we've seen thus far this year.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":tnunmcaa said:
Siouxhawk":tnunmcaa said:
Alas, maybe everyone should gain some perspective now as to these slow starts, as applied to both games and season.

Pete wants to dominate our foes with the running game by wearing them down in the first half and then imposing our will in the second half. It sounds like he's hoping Rawls will be the bell cow. Pete also loves the big-strike play, also made possible by the run game as defenses crowd the box.

He's not going to change his ways people. For those of you clamoring for as much scoring in the early quarters as the later ones, I'd advise you to embrace Pete's philosophy and be patient with the system or find a new endeavor to occupy your Sundays for the sake of your well-being. 'Cause he's not going to change anytime soon.

You made some good points here Sioux.

Pete is seemingly ever trying to recapture the 2013 team. That team executed his entire philosophy on offense and defense to his idea of perfection and substantiated his modern theory on the game. The problem now is that he keeps trying to fit these square 2016 pegs and duds into that 2013 round hole of success.

Notoriously stubborn Pete will seemingly not alter the offense or defense much at all. It is indeed his offensive theory that we're seeing and it's very frustrating that he just doesn't appear to want to adapt to the changing scene. More frustrating is that he did adjust some last year by adding spread features and now, it's gone again.

And while it's Pete's overall offensive design we see, what is maddening regarding Bevell though is different, i.e. the situational playcalling fiascos (Collins back to back, Graham not sent out for a redzone route, hurt Wilson RO, strange personnel split wide, continuous empty set on short yardage, no play action unless it's 3rd and long, no standard RB screens or other basic plays to defeat a blitz etc. etc.) So while everyone agrees the line is a disaster and injuries are compounding problems, there's still the feeling that with the talent we do have, we should simply be a little better on offense right now.

What is concerning to me and others regarding the big picture is that despite all our success the last several years, there's still this underlying feeling that this window won't last forever and we don't want to sink back into Seahawk mediocrity. Wilson may not be able to scramble like he used to and create improv magic for years and years. The defense may only have a couple more years in their prime, if that-no guarantee that we'll be able to reload. The real fear is that lifetime fans like myself who grew up in the Patera and Knox eras, who suffered through decades of always disappointing subpar football, won't have a true championship contender again for awhile. Make no mistake, I'm certainly hopeful Pete and Co. can get things turned around and our season is far from over, but it's just disturbing what we've seen thus far this year.

Hi WestTx,

Although I am somewhat surprised that we didn't return to that uptempo passing game that worked in the second half of last year, the plan is now in place and really no going back. I say that because I think how this line is predominantly being groomed. The play action will still be there and Russ will hit the explosive pass plays to Lockett, Baldwin and even Graham.

And I trust that Pete knows what he's doing and has thoroughly evaluated our talent. One other thing is that I believe Russell will progressively take more control at the LOS and is given carte blanche to check into an audible if he believes we can burn the defense. He just needs to get healthy.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I am not sure why people keep saying we aren't using a spread offense and a quick passing game because thats exactly what we have had in the first two games.
The reason we are struggling is because we are constantly in 1 and 20 situations (or something like it) and our running game has been less than optimal so far this year.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
^ WTxH "Pete is seemingly ever trying to recapture the 2013 team. That team executed his entire philosophy on offense and defense to his idea of perfection and substantiated his modern theory on the game. The problem now is that he keeps trying to fit these square 2016 pegs and duds into that 2013 round hole of success."

Square pegs and duds? We agree to disagree, they look to me to have been selected exactly to match this offense's philosophy. Give them a few games, let's see.

kf3339

Reaction score
StoneCold":2jflpgxz said:
kf3339":2jflpgxz said:
Seymour":2jflpgxz said:
kf3339":2jflpgxz said:

Again this is a silly question. Not team that scores 7.5 points a game will have a very good record. Are you predicting that's all this team is capable of scoring?

I honestly don't know what this team is capable of scoring this season. You can't use last years results because the team is dramatically different on the O-Line and the running game. So am I predicting 7.5 points a game offense? No. Am I concerned that our offensive issues may take so long to correct that we will be out of playoff consideration by that time. Absolutely.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3j5jx49f said:
....Pete is seemingly ever trying to recapture the 2013 team. That team executed his entire philosophy on offense and defense to his idea of perfection and substantiated his modern theory on the game. The problem now is that he keeps trying to fit these square 2016 pegs and duds into that 2013 round hole of success.

What an awesome post West TX Hawk! You have summed up my feelings, both as it concerns the present offensive difficulties and sourceS thereof as well as my fear of the chances at more championships slipping away fabulously. Thank you.

Latest posts