Pete Is Officially Pissed Off

Fade

Reaction score
This is actually pretty unprecedented. Pete's a notoriously player-protective coach and never calls out players or tosses them under the bus publicly. For him to be doing this is an eye-opener. Change of pace, and quite needed.

I know, I know, I'm a Pete-lover and a shill. Whatever makes y'all feel better.
Jim Mora style, is quite the change of pace.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Pete's reasoning for doing this, appears to be a pathetic attempt at trying to shovel the blame off him, and on to the players.

The players he picked and wanted for his defense.

Jim Mora at least could say they weren't his guys when he did it. Pete's going out sad.
You've pointed out his coaching flaws a million times - that's your MO - but the character assassination stuff is kind of sad. You're trying way too hard.

The reason for this different approach is because he's frustrated certain players are not doing their jobs, and it's clear to him his regular approach is not working.

Is your message getting through to the players?

You ask them - NEXT.

That's frustration.

He's going get the blame regardless of comments he makes about Jamal Adams missing an assignment. Don't think he really cares at this point.

Ozzy

Reaction score
You've pointed out his coaching flaws a million times - that's your MO - but the character assassination stuff is kind of sad. You're trying way too hard.

The reason for this different approach is because he's frustrated certain players are not doing their jobs, and it's clear to him his regular approach is not working.

Is your message getting through to the players?

You ask them - NEXT.

That's frustration.

He's going get the blame regardless of comments he makes about Jamal Adams missing an assignment. Don't think he really cares at this point.
Even if you don’t agree it’s a valid point. Why was it protect the team for 14 years and now he did the exact opposite? Even if you can justify the change and disagree, I think it’s still a fair question to raise

strohmin

Reaction score
Even if you don’t agree it’s a valid point. Why was it protect the team for 14 years and now he did the exact opposite? Even if you can justify the change and disagree, I think it’s still a fair question to raise
Pete randomly decided to browse through .net and realized how much brilliant head coaching advice there is here and is now using it.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Pete randomly decided to browse through .net and realized how much brilliant head coaching advice there is here and is now using it.
We’re all just having fun, it’s part of what makes sports worth it. None of us are experts but we get to forget about shit that stresses us out and take a break from life for a little bit.

strohmin

Reaction score
Only a Northwesterner would think this is Pete getting "tough", lol. I guess if you want to contextually phrase it as compared to how Pete normally is, you might be able to get away with it.
Im waiting for the Pete who put Lendale White in his place after he started acting up

hoxrox

Reaction score
Don't think it's a valid point at all. There is a lot that he can be legitimately criticized about, but when you start questioning his character, because he's afraid of being blamed, it's trying too hard. I really don't think he cares if people blame him or not.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Don't think it's a valid point at all. There is a lot that he can be legitimately criticized about, but when you start questioning his character, because he's afraid of being blamed, it's trying too hard. I really don't think he cares if people blame him or not.
Meh I disagree. He’s doing exactly what he said was wrong to do and preached so for over a decade. I don’t think that makes him a bad guy but he’s probably pissed and just trying something new to see if it works. But it opens himself up to warranted criticism imo because of it so I guess I’ll agree to disagree

hoxrox

Reaction score
Meh I disagree. He’s doing exactly what he said was wrong to do and preached so for over a decade. I don’t think that makes him a bad guy but he’s probably pissed and just trying something new to see if it works. But it opens himself up to warranted criticism imo because of it so I guess I’ll agree to disagree
That's fine.

I just really don't think he cares. In the same interview with Salk, he said "I have to coach better." He's fine with taking the blame, like he did after SB49.

It's just a weak take, imo.

Ozzy

Reaction score
That's fine.

I just really don't think he cares. In the same interview with Salk, he said "I have to coach better." He's fine with taking the blame, like he did after SB49.

It's just a weak take, imo.
and that's fair. We(and in the whole board) don't have to agree on everything, we're all shooting darts in a sense. One thing I've seen on the board that I don't like is that once someone finds out another poster has a different opinion on something they almost turn into enemies and everything is snarky after the fact. I wish people in here could respect everyone, realize we're talking football and nothing else and just have some fun with it and not take it so serious or an us vs them mentality. I'm not saying you are doing this but figured it was a decent time to mention it to everyone.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jim Mora at least could say they weren't his guys when he did it. Pete's going out sad.

But these are Pete's guys. So Pete saying anything resembling this would be the all time head scratcher of comments.

Pete's frustrated, he's lost much of his locker room, messaging and control.........and that has to be a very sobering reality for a coach who's prided himself in his culture and healthy relationships with his players.

Is he deflecting blame? Maybe, but I see this as more 100% pure frustration with not being able to rally his locker room like he's always done.

So yes, the writing is on the wall. Once a coach loses his locker room and ability to get his message through on the daily and yearly? It's time to go.

But does Jody and the Hawks brass care? That's the real question, and has been the question for years.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I have been asking to see something different, so I am glad Pete is doing SOMETHING different here. That also being said, as coach...you are the ultimate accountability. If your team can't execute your plan, it's your plan so your plan is also bad. Change the plan.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
If one player is not getting it? It's the player.

If many players aren't getting it? That's your fault as coaches.
And if one player isn't assignment focused, it can and does cause a domino effect, as the other players around him are left holding the bag.
The 9rs targeted Adams because they could see that his coverage skills were suspect and that he was easily distracted.
IF as someone has pointed out, Adams had seemed to be doing well during the practice sessions leading up to that game, why abandon the Assignment?, lapse of focus is a weakened Link.

hoxrox

Reaction score
But does Jody and the Hawks brass care? That's the real question, and has been the question for years.
I believe she attends almost every home game. She sits in the front row with John and Pete on draft day. There was an article that came out in 2021 about how unhappy she was with the team's performance.

So she cares. The question is what is she going to do about it? Is above .500 going to be satisfactory? Does she expect a playoff win? SB? We might get the answers this coming offseason.

Last edited:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
So she cares. The question is what is she going to do about it? Is above .500 going to be satisfactory? Does she expect a playoff win? SB? We might get the answers this coming offseason.

The only way Pete get's let go is if they lose out the remainder of the season and even that might not be enough. He does still babysit the whole thing for her after all. New coordinators are the same old song and dance we've all seen numerous times before, so don't expect anything to change even if there's new faces around Pete.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I believe she attends almost every home game. She sits in the front row with John and Pete on draft day. There was an article that came out in 2021 about how unhappy she was with the team's performance.

View attachment 62526

I guess we'll see what this means in the next 2-3 months won't we. Is Allen just blowing smoke up our asses trying to make it look like she cares about winning? Or is this just lip service and we get another mediocre season of Pete and his mid coaches.