Peter King: Seahawks #1 spot for RG3 if he's released

chris98251

Reaction score
If cut you think 30 other teams are going to pass on him before we get a chance to claim him? I don't think he gets past Cleveland, Houston, Rams Cardinals and 49ers. That's just the short list. Throw in the jets with Fitz as their starter with Smith out as well.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure a team like the Bills or Texans or Jets or Eagles (Chip can't help himself) would at least put a waiver claim in. No way that Seattle would.

If RG3 did hit UFA, and theoretically could be had cheap, my guess is that he'd end up in Philly. That's the place where disappointing 1st round pick QBs go to be rehabilitated.

If Seattle does sign him cheap, I don't see how that isn't an exciting move. Basically zero downside, with a chance to rehabilitate him and maybe get a draft pick out of him down the road.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
McGruff":mrjz5yk1 said:
This actually makes a ton of sense. RG3 is like a younger, better version of Jackson. He needs a ton of coaching and mental rehab work, but if someone like Pete can put the pieces back together he can still play in this league.

From Griffins perspective it makes a ton of sense. Fits the scheme, low pressure, good coaching.

In his rookie year, he was better than Wilson. Even diehard Wilson fans acknowledged RGIII was the one fighting Wilson for ROY, not Luck. What we all saw as RGIII's drawback, his achilles heel if you will, was that he didn't know how to slide. He took crunching hits. He wasn't going to last playing like that.

The Pro for taking RGIII:
Carroll can coach him up. Return him to the level of excellence we saw his rookie year. We'd have the perfect backup QB.

The Con for taking RGIII:
His injuries may have already taken their toll. It might not be possible for him to ever have the physical skills even to be our backup QB.

Only a physical and the FO will be able to determine if he'd be a good move.

Anthony!

Reaction score
We are not going to get RG3, for one money is a huge issue, for 2 he is not worth the headache, he cannot stay healthy and behind our oline he might not last 1 qtr.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think if we took him he would get a IR tag after a few practices, not going to disrupt things as they stand, T Jack gone next year and open competition at QB. Yes Wilson is better mentally, but with our line insurance as a back up and prove it contract could resurrect RGIII's career and keep our window open. That's the only way I would do something with him.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm with StoneCold and MontanaHawk. This is Peter King making up BS as clickbait.
RG3 has been beaten out by Kirk Cousins (and possibly even Colt McCoy).
IF RGIII gets released by the 'Skins... I would expect to see him clear waivers, because I don't see teams claiming him and risking being on the hook for a $16 mil cap hit next year. If I'm understanding it correctly, he's $3.3M this season, BUT, if injured, $16M next season, and the chance of him getting reinjured seems a bit high. If the question was simply this year, different answer. Someone please chime in with how it actually works if this is an incorrect translation.

As far as NFL QBs and leadership, he's been a bust in that area after his injury.

Pete did kick the tires on Terrelle Pryor at QB, and ultimately, release him; he never seemed interested in Tebow. I think the issue would be RGIII's willingness/ability to have the humility to go back to the basics and rebuild his whole foundation as a QB, this time without assuming his (apparently no longer present) "Superman" athletic ability can bail him out of anything.

I do find myself rooting for TPryor to make a go of it at WR in Cleveland.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
McGruff":3t0w6zje said:
This actually makes a ton of sense. RG3 is like a younger, better version of Jackson. He needs a ton of coaching and mental rehab work, but if someone like Pete can put the pieces back together he can still play in this league.

From Griffins perspective it makes a ton of sense. Fits the scheme, low pressure, good coaching.
He is nothing like Jackson.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
This makes little sense for the reason that RGKnee is an egotistical tool that would likely not be able to handle being a backup.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Robert Griffin does not have the patience or humility (or talent or health) to succeed in the NFL.

He would probably need a solid 2-3 years on the bench with no chance of even hoping to become the starter. He would need to get back to the basics of being a QB and then add in whatever athleticism he still has at that point. He isnt good enough to start now, and he isn't smart enough to be able to come in to a new system and pick it up quickly.

Robert Griffin has to embrace NOT being the man if he has any hope of ever being THE MAN again.

If he could do that I would love to have him on board, but I just don't ever see it happening. I think Robert Griffin becomes a cautionary tale to players AND teams down the road.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":28m60mat said:
akscoundrel":28m60mat said:
I'm gonna have to slap a b if we pay griffin but not chancellor

For the 1,000,000th time.. we already paid Chancellor two seasons ago

So? We got a steal of a deal then, and maybe its time to pay him closer to his worth, before he checks out. And don't give me that nonsense about honoring the contract. Tell that to zac miller and countless others.

Screw rgknee, make chancellor happy. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Yeah, let's get his dude;

Bxl1tmcCUAAgI0M

F245818cbd7b2e6ce2df1eced762b351

All the while risking losing this dude;

461308908.0.jpg

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
akscoundrel":38emxwgn said:

461308908.0.jpg

I'm not sure why people keep trying to connect signing other free agents with keeping Kam.

Two separate issues, two separate columns on the cap spreadsheet. Look at Hsu's cap boxes he posts on Twitter, positions are slotted by depth chart and corresponding salary. So you don't remove a backup QB salary slot and move the money over to the starting SS slot because that backup QB slot still has to be filled.

We can argue about whether RG3 is a good fit at backup QB over T-Jack, or who costs more there...........but to equate RG3's salary to Kam isn't correct.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":39cq0cq4 said:
akscoundrel":39cq0cq4 said:

461308908.0.jpg

I'm not sure why people keep trying to connect signing other free agents with keeping Kam.

Two separate issues, two separate columns on the cap spreadsheet. Look at Hsu's cap boxes he posts on Twitter, positions are slotted by depth chart and corresponding salary. So you don't remove a backup QB salary slot and move the money over to the starting SS slot because that backup QB slot still has to be filled.

We can argue about whether RG3 is a good fit at backup QB over T-Jack, or who costs more there...........but to equate RG3's salary to Kam isn't correct.

So we are looking at screwing tjack over on his contract, all the while crying about kam honoring his contract. Gotcha....

The point being, take care of priorities first. If we have any extra money, take care of kam. Instead of being hypocritical in this 'honoring contract' and 'principal' talk....

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
RGIII is nothing but rumors and speculation. I don't see any reason to get all worked up over. I highly doubt he's a priority over Kam, not that have anything to do with each other.

massari

Reaction score
Too expensive. No way he is a backup.

The Hawks should've just drafted Bridgwater instead of trading that pick.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
akscoundrel":3lwryiiw said:
So we are looking at screwing tjack over on his contract, all the while crying about kam honoring his contract. Gotcha....

The point being, take care of priorities first. If we have any extra money, take care of kam. Instead of being hypocritical in this 'honoring contract' and 'principal' talk....

I didn't say any of this, I said you're incorrectly assuming that extra money should go to Kam, and not upgrading the backup QB position.........which is what this is about.

We are not giving Kam a new deal, that appears evident. So fatal flaw #1 with your argument. If we were going to give Kam a new deal, he'd have it. So stop saying signing new players = no money for Kam. There already is no money for Kam, or no willingness to give more money to Kam.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3jfzk5hq said:
akscoundrel":3jfzk5hq said:

I didn't say any of this, I said you're incorrectly assuming that extra money should go to Kam, and not upgrading the backup QB position.........which is what this is about.

We are not giving Kam a new deal, that appears evident. So fatal flaw #1 with your argument. If we were going to give Kam a new deal, he'd have it. So stop saying signing new players = no money for Kam. There already is no money for Kam, or no willingness to give more money to Kam.

That's the point. Theres no willingness to give kam any more money because of 'principal' and 'honoring his contract', all the while actively talking about not honoring a contract to tjack by signing rgknee as the backuo. We definitely had, and possibly still have, the money. It comes down to willingness, and ultimately, being hypocritical.

And an upgrade? Lol, we are talking about a dude who sucks so much he's about to get cut or traded from a terrible team. But yeah, our pass pro will definitely protect him....

I realize nobody likes to be called a hypocrite, and will argue it til they die, so we might as well end this discussion. Rgknee will be fun to look at sitting on the bench in his knee brace. Money well spent.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
akscoundrel":3mj88e01 said:

461308908.0.jpg

So apparently until Kam gets whatever dollar amount satisfies him, we just can't sign anyone else to the roster

Makes sense.

I don't think RG3 comes here simply because he's never starting on this team beyond the season barring something awful happening to Russ. The guy is 24 and a few years removed from being an excellent QB. From that standpoint it'd make no sense for him to come here, especially on the cheap, if he wants to eventually be a starter again somewhere.

From the teams perspective though, if RG3 was cool being a cheap backup.. then why the hell wouldn't you explore that?