Peter King: Seahawks #1 spot for RG3 if he's released

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
There are two threads within this thread:

1. The first is whether or not you would ever like to see RGIII be a Hawk backing up RW, and what would that look like if/when it were to happen.

2. The second reality of the situation financially, and perhaps philosophically. There's no way he'll be here.

These get crossed at times; it's funny to watch. It seems some overreact to #1 with arguments from #2.

Perhaps obvious, but communication is a silly thing...

SUhawk

Reaction score
Theres no way management ia signing griffin lol

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2gx43gwx said:
MontanaHawk05":2gx43gwx said:
Peter King: "Hmm, where might RG3 land? Well, he does read-option a lot...OH HEY, THE SEAHAWKS!!"

...and then he built a BS story about it. That was probably the extent of Peter King's train of thought.

Bingo!!!!
This.I wouldn't want the guy anyway.That massive ego wouldn't fly in the Hawks locker room.RG OL in Washington hates him.Another Harvin type.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2sdpbnl7 said:
akscoundrel":2sdpbnl7 said:
All the while risking losing this dude;

461308908.0.jpg

So apparently until Kam gets whatever dollar amount satisfies him, we just can't sign anyone else to the roster

Makes sense.

I don't think RG3 comes here simply because he's never starting on this team beyond the season barring something awful happening to Russ. The guy is 24 and a few years removed from being an excellent QB. From that standpoint it'd make no sense for him to come here, especially on the cheap, if he wants to eventually be a starter again somewhere.

From the teams perspective though, if RG3 was cool being a cheap backup.. then why the hell wouldn't you explore that?

Why explore insignificants when there are more pressing issues, such as our secondary being in shambles?

We're good on backup qb's. We're good on backup rb's. However, our secondary is in shambles, and our o line is a hot mess. But yeah, let's focus on improving what we are already good on, and not focus on improving what needs improvement.

Makes sense

JimmyG

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":mts2qy96 said:
This makes little sense for the reason that RGKnee is an egotistical tool that would likely not be able to handle being a backup.
It makes little sense because why on earth would RGIII sign with a team with one of the most stable quarterback situations in the league? That would make no sense whatsoever for a guy with his upside.

I would love RGIII and welcome him with open arms (spare me the nonsense of "character issues", this team has no problem taking a chance on guys like that if the talent is there), but from his/his agent's perspective, Seattle doesn't seem like a very lucrative situation. It would make exponentially more sense for him to guy with a volatile quarterback situation -- a place where he has an ice cube's chance in hell of starting and reestablishing his value.

jake206

Reaction score
If I am RG3, I am speed dialing, Chip Kelly. Chip, man...I can beat all those wanna-be QBs on your team. Sign me. Or he goes back to his home state of Texas and signs with the Houston Texans or backs up Romo with the Boys. There is no waay he will sign here. Atrocious blocking...Russell gets hit a ton.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
akscoundrel":2qxo2h01 said:
Sgt. Largent":2qxo2h01 said:
akscoundrel":2qxo2h01 said:
So we are looking at screwing tjack over on his contract, all the while crying about kam honoring his contract. Gotcha....

The point being, take care of priorities first. If we have any extra money, take care of kam. Instead of being hypocritical in this 'honoring contract' and 'principal' talk....

I didn't say any of this, I said you're incorrectly assuming that extra money should go to Kam, and not upgrading the backup QB position.........which is what this is about.

We are not giving Kam a new deal, that appears evident. So fatal flaw #1 with your argument. If we were going to give Kam a new deal, he'd have it. So stop saying signing new players = no money for Kam. There already is no money for Kam, or no willingness to give more money to Kam.

That's the point. Theres no willingness to give kam any more money because of 'principal' and 'honoring his contract', all the while actively talking about not honoring a contract to tjack by signing rgknee as the backuo. We definitely had, and possibly still have, the money. It comes down to willingness, and ultimately, being hypocritical.

And an upgrade? Lol, we are talking about a dude who sucks so much he's about to get cut or traded from a terrible team. But yeah, our pass pro will definitely protect him....

I realize nobody likes to be called a hypocrite, and will argue it til they die, so we might as well end this discussion. Rgknee will be fun to look at sitting on the bench in his knee brace. Money well spent.

Its a business decision.

The FO would give in to Kam if it was the right decision to do so.

Clearly, they believe it is not in their best long term interest to do so.

Again its a business, not an 8th grade dance. Some are too emotional.

Its a business choice for Kam too. He can stay away as long as he wants. He just wont get paid.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3tlyp2jp said:
akscoundrel":3tlyp2jp said:
Sgt. Largent":3tlyp2jp said:
akscoundrel":3tlyp2jp said:
So we are looking at screwing tjack over on his contract, all the while crying about kam honoring his contract. Gotcha....

The point being, take care of priorities first. If we have any extra money, take care of kam. Instead of being hypocritical in this 'honoring contract' and 'principal' talk....

I didn't say any of this, I said you're incorrectly assuming that extra money should go to Kam, and not upgrading the backup QB position.........which is what this is about.

We are not giving Kam a new deal, that appears evident. So fatal flaw #1 with your argument. If we were going to give Kam a new deal, he'd have it. So stop saying signing new players = no money for Kam. There already is no money for Kam, or no willingness to give more money to Kam.

That's the point. Theres no willingness to give kam any more money because of 'principal' and 'honoring his contract', all the while actively talking about not honoring a contract to tjack by signing rgknee as the backuo. We definitely had, and possibly still have, the money. It comes down to willingness, and ultimately, being hypocritical.

And an upgrade? Lol, we are talking about a dude who sucks so much he's about to get cut or traded from a terrible team. But yeah, our pass pro will definitely protect him....

I realize nobody likes to be called a hypocrite, and will argue it til they die, so we might as well end this discussion. Rgknee will be fun to look at sitting on the bench in his knee brace. Money well spent.

Its a business decision.

Its a business choice for Kam too. He can stay away as long as he wants. He just wont get paid.

OK, now we are getting somewhere. If we are parting ways with kam, then our secondary is in pretty bad shape. No only do we have a sub par corner, but not much help overtop either. And here we are, focusing another backup qb and backup rb. Cuz that's what this team needs, more rb's and qb's that they need to cut.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
RGIII is a 'where there's smoke, there's fire' personality. Specifically, both Shanahan and Gruden hate him - whereas he's ingratiated himself with Dan Snyder. Now, I'm not saying that he should be buddy buddy with his coaches, but given how awful Snyder is as an owner (and frankly, as a human being), one starts to sniff out the ego problem which would make Griffin a poor fit in Seattle. He knew to go over the head of the coach to the owner (which wouldn't work in Seattle) in order to get his way.

Moreover, no one with any trace of humility would continue to do the same stupid things over and over again until his body was completely broken and then expect to receive a hero's welcome and a starting position in a new regime when all was said and done. He was talented, but less so now, and he's certainly not a leader on field. In fact, I'd argue he IS what people always claim Cam Newton to be.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
akscoundrel":1zfgntj8 said:
Hasselbeck":1zfgntj8 said:
akscoundrel":1zfgntj8 said:
I'm gonna have to slap a b if we pay griffin but not chancellor

For the 1,000,000th time.. we already paid Chancellor two seasons ago

So? We got a steal of a deal then, and maybe its time to pay him closer to his worth, before he checks out. And don't give me that nonsense about honoring the contract. Tell that to zac miller and countless others.

Screw rgknee, make chancellor happy. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
We did not "get a steal of a deal" at the time the hawks overpaid. He's still basically the highest paid SS in the game.

And yes, do teams honor the guaranteed portions of contracts. It's not difficult

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
akscoundrel":39x62o99 said:
OK, now we are getting somewhere. If we are parting ways with kam, then our secondary is in pretty bad shape. No only do we have a sub par corner, but not much help overtop either. And here we are, focusing another backup qb and backup rb. Cuz that's what this team needs, more rb's and qb's that they need to cut.
:187734: This is a joke post right? right?!

We are in bad shape? A sub par corner and not much help over the top? Have you ever watched the Hawks play defense? There's these two guys on the team. One's name is Richard Sherman and he's arguably the best CB in the NFL and the other is Earl Thomas, the absolute best and most rangy safety in the NFL

TheHawkster

Reaction score
I love watching RGIII.
Mainly because he gets hit SO HARD!
It's like watching WWE. Every time he is tackled, he gets massacred.

He's the only human that hits the ground harder than Sydney Rice.
It's like he doesn't see anything coming at all.

Hawkpower

Reaction score

The point being, take care of priorities first. If we have any extra money, take care of kam. Instead of being hypocritical in this 'honoring contract' and 'principal' talk....[/quote]

We are not giving Kam a new deal, that appears evident. So fatal flaw #1 with your argument. If we were going to give Kam a new deal, he'd have it. So stop saying signing new players = no money for Kam. There already is no money for Kam, or no willingness to give more money to Kam.[/quote]

I realize nobody likes to be called a hypocrite, and will argue it til they die, so we might as well end this discussion. Rgknee will be fun to look at sitting on the bench in his knee brace. Money well spent.[/quote]

Its a business decision.

Its a business choice for Kam too. He can stay away as long as he wants. He just wont get paid.[/quote]

OK, now we are getting somewhere. If we are parting ways with kam, then our secondary is in pretty bad shape. No only do we have a sub par corner, but not much help overtop either. And here we are, focusing another backup qb and backup rb. Cuz that's what this team needs, more rb's and qb's that they need to cut.[/quote]

Ummm wat?

Who says we are parting ways with Kam?

Bad shape? LOL!

And for the 36th time this thread, Kam has nothing to do witih these other decisions. Nobody in the FO is saying to themselves..."well we would like to give Kam a bunch of extra money because he is throwing a fit like a child, but we wont be able to afford a backup running back if we do, so no dice"

That conversation is not happening.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
akscoundrel":kwayld3s said:
Sgt. Largent":kwayld3s said:
akscoundrel":kwayld3s said:

I'm not saying RG is an upgrade, I'm saying that would be the exploration of our FO in deciding on whether to bring him in.

I'm saying Kam and looking into upgrading the backup QB position are mutually exclusive. That's all.

Personally I wouldn't want RG3. Good fit system and coach wise, Pete could get his mind right. But bad fit locker room and salary wise. Doubt we could get him for 1.2M, some desperate team with terrible QB's is going to take a chance on him for more $$$.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2brflvyh said:

We are not giving Kam a new deal, that appears evident. So fatal flaw #1 with your argument. If we were going to give Kam a new deal, he'd have it. So stop saying signing new players = no money for Kam. There already is no money for Kam, or no willingness to give more money to Kam.[/quote]

I realize nobody likes to be called a hypocrite, and will argue it til they die, so we might as well end this discussion. Rgknee will be fun to look at sitting on the bench in his knee brace. Money well spent.[/quote]

Its a business decision.

Its a business choice for Kam too. He can stay away as long as he wants. He just wont get paid.[/quote]

OK, now we are getting somewhere. If we are parting ways with kam, then our secondary is in pretty bad shape. No only do we have a sub par corner, but not much help overtop either. And here we are, focusing another backup qb and backup rb. Cuz that's what this team needs, more rb's and qb's that they need to cut.[/quote]

Ummm wat?

Who says we are parting ways with Kam?

Bad shape? LOL!

And for the 36th time this thread, Kam has nothing to do witih these other decisions. Nobody in the FO is saying to themselves..."well we would like to give Kam a bunch of extra money because he is throwing a fit like a child, but we wont be able to afford a backup running back if we do, so no dice"

That conversation is not happening.[/quote]

Yeah, our secondary is in bad shape. Sherman and Thomas will help on one side, but the other side is a huge question mark. Forgive me for not having much faith in Cary got burnt in Philly and continues to get burnt this preseason Williams.

And yes, kam inherently does have something to do with these other decisions. But it all comes down to willingness to make things rights, or take advantage of the contract he signed years ago.

And lol at your counter point. Yeah, we won't be able to afford the 15th backup running back if we pay the best strong safety in the game. Shucks.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1nuonek6 said:
akscoundrel":1nuonek6 said:
Sgt. Largent":1nuonek6 said:
akscoundrel":1nuonek6 said:

I'm not saying RG is an upgrade, I'm saying that would be the exploration of our FO in deciding on whether to bring him in.

I'm saying Kam and looking into upgrading the backup QB position are mutually exclusive. That's all.

Personally I wouldn't want RG3. Good fit system and coach wise, Pete could get his mind right. But bad fit locker room and salary wise. Doubt we could get him for 1.2M, some desperate team with terrible QB's is going to take a chance on him for more $$$.[/quobig

Personally I don't see it happening. Rg3's ego is too big to sign cheap and be a backup.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3nlfvv42 said:
Personally I wouldn't want RG3. Good fit system and coach wise, Pete could get his mind right. But bad fit locker room and salary wise. Doubt we could get him for 1.2M, some desperate team with terrible QB's is going to take a chance on him for more $$$.

Absolutely agreed. Beyond system and coach I just think it's an awful fit all the way around.

Why would RGIII want to go and be backup to the most deeply entrenched young starting QB in the NFL (until Luck resigns) who has also never missed a game?

Why would the Seahawks pour cap money intp the backup QB position when they just paid their QB of the present and future who has never missed a game?

On top of that if he has ego issues this is additionally not a good match for either side, and if he has physical fragility issues ont op of that it's again not a good match for either side.

I just don't get it. Peter King is being completely and totally full of it, IMO. It would have been a more entertaining story if Wilson's contract still wasn't done, but now, it's just total balderdash.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
akscoundrel":21heyb2u said:
Why explore insignificants when there are more pressing issues, such as our secondary being in shambles?

We're good on backup qb's. We're good on backup rb's. However, our secondary is in shambles, and our o line is a hot mess. But yeah, let's focus on improving what we are already good on, and not focus on improving what needs improvement.

Makes sense

Since clearly you know more than John Schneider oh wise oracle, what offensive lineman do you see sitting out there on the open market.. willing to take a deal that would pay not much more than the veteran minimum.. that will instantly improve this "hot mess" of an offensive line?

And if Robert Turbin is out for half the season.. no.. we are not "good on backup RB's"

I'll hang up and listen.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":35ag1kqk said:
Sgt. Largent":35ag1kqk said:

Absolutely agreed. Beyond system and coach I just think it's an awful fit all the way around.

Why would RGIII want to go and be backup to the most deeply entrenched young starting QB in the NFL (until Luck resigns) who has also never missed a game?

Why would the Seahawks pour cap money intp the backup QB position when they just paid their QB of the present and future who has never missed a game?

On top of that if he has ego issues this is additionally not a good match for either side, and if he has physical fragility issues ont op of that it's again not a good match for either side.

I just don't get it. Peter King is being completely and totally full of it, IMO. It would have been a more entertaining story if Wilson's contract still wasn't done, but now, it's just total balderdash.

All this. All on point.