PFF demonstrates Kaepernick folds under pressure as a passer

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I don't see Turtlenick having problems throwing on the run. I just don't think he does it as much because he doesn't have to. He and Wilson are extremely similar in how they produce, but Wilson will spend more time eluding pressure while looking for a receiver, where Kaep might spend a little less time, then just take off.

Sometimes it makes a very big play, the guy runs like the desert wind. He sees the opening and doesn't waste a lot of time thinking about it. Wilson, at times gives up the open opportunity to run looking for a receiver. In some cases, this allows more of the defense to get after him and he manages a shorter gain. I can't tell you how many times I screamed at Wilson to take off, only for him to make me look like an idiot as he completes a 20 yard pass just as he is approaching the LOS.

There will always be a stat to make a guy look better or worse, but with the "Big 4" young QBs the sample size is very small. Yeah, Kaepatortoise has his issues in the red zone and has made some clock management mistakes, but like the others, he is just so new that it is really pointless to assume a trend.

I can think of a long list of teams that would give up a lot of capital to have either one of the 4 QBs starting for them. I don't see any one of them as a slumping QB next year.

mikeak

Reaction score
NinerLifer":l6qz89iq said:
Will have to go ahead and STRONGLY disagree with you here. No need to try and convince you of the contrary if watching his games hasnt convinced you already.

Sometimes I think that some of you use what you see in the two games we play eachother each year as your whole basis of analysis.

Some of you like to talk without facts backing you up. Kaepernick is inferior running AND then passing at the same time

1) https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ay-7-2013/

RW - second

Kaep - a few spots from the bottom...
2) http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blog ... rc=desktop

Wilson's completion rate on passes from inside the pocket is an excellent 64.5%

on passes outside the pocket, he's 69 of 114 for 856 yards (60.5%)

3) couldn't find this updated at end of season but look at the INCREDIBLE drop in Kaep's numbers

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blog ... rc=desktop

I am not saying Kaepernick is not a to be great qb. This isn't a one-sided homer post. Kaepernick simply isn't as good running and having to throw / something opens up. If that doesn't get corrected then that is a concern.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Not sure why stats are even brought up. Drew Bree's is second to the BOTTOM on that list. What's the point of bringing up stats that some of the leagues elite QB's suck at? It obviously means that certain stats aren't a huge part of an individuals game as it is others, and therefore don't mean as much as it would to apparently Tannehil and RW.

Sam Bradford towards the top though, SIGNZ HIMZ!

JesterHawk

Reaction score
I keep seeing posts about this Colin Kaepernick fellow. Can somebody fill me in on who he is and why I care? I've read the Seahawks roster like 10 times and I can't find him anywhere.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
JesterHawk":2lltyis1 said:
I keep seeing posts about this Colin Kaepernick fellow. Can somebody fill me in on who he is and why I care? I've read the Seahawks roster like 10 times and I can't find him anywhere.

Great advice!

RichNhansom

Reaction score
JesterHawk":1u3fuoei said:

It's Papaki.

look@dafilm

Reaction score
this is a fair assessment, but I don't think it takes into account the amount of times when a play broke down, leaving a lot of pressure for Kaep, that he took off and ran. I'd consider that a successful play but it doesn't help his rating since it wasn't a pass.

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":inpi2305 said:
I don't see Turtlenick having problems throwing on the run. I just don't think he does it as much because he doesn't have to. He and Wilson are extremely similar in how they produce, but Wilson will spend more time eluding pressure while looking for a receiver, where Kaep might spend a little less time, then just take off.

Sometimes it makes a very big play, the guy runs like the desert wind. He sees the opening and doesn't waste a lot of time thinking about it. Wilson, at times gives up the open opportunity to run looking for a receiver. In some cases, this allows more of the defense to get after him and he manages a shorter gain. I can't tell you how many times I screamed at Wilson to take off, only for him to make me look like an idiot as he completes a 20 yard pass just as he is approaching the LOS.

There will always be a stat to make a guy look better or worse, but with the "Big 4" young QBs the sample size is very small. Yeah, Kaepatortoise has his issues in the red zone and has made some clock management mistakes, but like the others, he is just so new that it is really pointless to assume a trend.

I can think of a long list of teams that would give up a lot of capital to have either one of the 4 QBs starting for them. I don't see any one of them as a slumping QB next year.

Wow.

I really can't see anything there I disgree with. :D

Completely agree on the running styles of Wilson and Kaep. Wilson is more Fran Tarkenton and will scramble for days but stay behind the LOS looking for someone to break free. Kaep is more Randall Cunningham and if he sees open field he'll eat up the grass.

The "pressured" stat of Kaep is really an indicator of what happens when he isn't only pressured but also has no means of escape...IE, his worst possible scenario.

I've read many times that he doesn't throw well out of the pocket. If any of you watched him often you would see that is kinda ludicrous. I realize what the number say, but he is probably the best QB in the NFL at running left and throwing across his body accurately. Stats don't lie, but they often give you an erroneous sense of what's going on.

I also agree about the sample size. If the sample size were much larger I think his pressured and outside the pocket numbers would rise dramatically...but I have to admit its also possible his stellar INSIDE the pocket numbers might fall. Thats the nature of a small sample size. Its also important to note that his "not-under pressure" numbers have alot to do with his running ability. Same with RW. Teams rush them differently for fear of them escaping....and this slows down the pass rush and gives the QB more time.

Bottom line: I TOTALLY agree with you that there are many teams right now who would give almost anything to get one of these 4 guys.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
The only stat that should concern you is the super bowl ring he's not wearing on his finger...sorry couldn't resist a little friendly ribbing. ;)

Latest posts