PFT Bennet to sign with Bears....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dtowers

Reaction score
jlwaters1":3kxelk87 said:
Dtowers":3kxelk87 said:
I just think it is faulty reasoning. We haven't had really any players that were worthy of the tag.

The franchise tag is an inefficient way of dealing with the cap. It's not a tool JS wants to utilize frequently. I think this is pretty obvious after watching JS and PC operate over the last 4 season.

Obviously. This is true across the NFL not just Seattle. That wasn't the point of my comment though. Flat out saying PCJS don't franchise is wrong and misleading.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
It's probably already been said, but perhaps some Hawks fans don't want to see the Hawks lose a valuable part of a Super Bowl Team (like Hutch in 06.) Even though there was bungling going on behind the scenes with that other one, it's not all that dissimilar to us fans in that regard (losing a valuable player when we want to see continuity and repeat success.)

I haven't nor will I say anything poor of Bennett. I was mad the Hawks let him go the first time (for a kicker, right?) I was hoping he was back for good this time. But, his leaving would be of his own choosing (if he does. Come on Michael, slam that door tomorrow and say, "I'm a Hawk!") But alas... I really think he more values playing with his brother (for the right price) than staying with the Hawks. That's tough to compete with and tough for us fans to see him possibly leave because we're forever attached to him emotionally with this SB XLVIII Championship team. I can only be grateful for his contributions in that regard.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I think MB is just playing Seattle for more money. Similar how every NBA team wanting a new arena is looking hard at Seattle. Let's see in the next few days where he winds up

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1jp4xp80 said:
Lady Talon":1jp4xp80 said:
Uncle Si":1jp4xp80 said:
Lady Talon":1jp4xp80 said:
He made it no secret from the start he wasn't happy settling for a prove it deal lol. Fans mad at him because the media picked at a fresh wound, is what's brilliant. Going to be as bad of an environment here as Cleveland for him.

whose mad at him? How is this like Cleveland?

90% of Hawk fans were offended by the Costco remark. Somewhere in between calling him greedy and devaluing his career since he said it. Why would he stay here to get booed off the field or wait for the inevitable social media backlash from a $9.5m+ here? Hell go to Detroit or Cleveland or the like where they'll give him 10m+ and the whole team gets booed off the field equally. What's the difference.

I think maybe you're putting way too much into simple comments and fan reactions. The comment wasn't even derogatory. I highly doubt anyone would think to do anything but cheer loudly if Bennet was here next year.

And Bennet knows the difference. He wants to be valued. If our offer mets his estimation I doubt he thinks twice about some whiney fans on Twitter

Am I? How many high end contract FA's have been scapegoats here, like everywhere? Just imagine if he only gets 8 sacks next year and Clemons gets the axe. Most are already denying what we saw on the field last year and calling him inferior to Avril. And he's a six year vet that took over Bruce Irvins position and role and improved upon a rookie's season by .5 sacks. BI's a rookie bust according to many for having a similar season to Avril, yet Avril is superior to Bennett.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":3nlndkzm said:
John Clayton said he gets the feeling that Bennett is staying (just said it on ESPN 710). Maybe this isn't a settled matter yet.
Maybe, but I have a hard time accepting it. Maybe I am just preparing for him to be signed by the Bears tomorrow, they do have a compelling case that I could understand him going for even though to me it's the wrong choice.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Dtowers":1ox1yv9s said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":1ox1yv9s said:
Uncle Si":1ox1yv9s said:
Dtowers":1ox1yv9s said:
I just think it is faulty reasoning. We haven't had really any players that were worthy of the tag.

or its not the business model Schneider and Carrol want to employ. Bennet being a good example.

I suspect the latter is true and they would only tag Earl Thomas, Sherm and Russell Wilson. Or player at cheaper position that Bennett.

This is my point exactly. It isn't that they flat out DON'T franchise players they just haven't had to franc Johise a more prominent player...yet. They have used their tag 1/4 of the time. It was in a situation where it made sense to protect the player for one year at rate that wasn't unreasonable for his services.

I wonder what the league average is for tag usage but only a handful of players get tagged in a year?

It varies over the last few years

But I don't think its as simple as we haven't had anyone over the last few years, or arleast in conjunction with it being a leverage tactic our current leadership shies away from.

It certainly isn't unequivocal and I didn't mean to suggest as much. But the tag isn't something players like. Perhaps JS avoids it (without facing the loss of a truly impact player)

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Happypuppy":2doeqiid said:
I think MB is just playing Seattle for more money. Similar how every NBA team wanting a new arena is looking hard at Seattle. Let's see in the next few days where he winds up
Yeah, probably a bit of that going on. Not unreasonable. (I trust) You don't mean "playing" in a negative way either. You're just speaking to the business side.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Happypuppy":143dwbfu said:
Of course he is. Either way we will see how it shakes out soon enough.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
mikeak":2sf9r0pi said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":2sf9r0pi said:
I don't think people understand the franchise tag well.

If we tagged him - we would have had basically exclusive rights to work out a long term deal with him this year. Why wouldn't we want that?.

I understand the franchise tag very well

That key word is highlighted above - We

Do you know who is excluded from the We right there? The player himself. The player gets screwed. The player gets to either take a deal without negotiating with other teams or play on a one year deal which he already did. That makes it less likely he gets a big deal later and risks big money from injury. He gets pressed into a situation where he has to take a deal.

I get the franchise tag for players normally within the organization but Bennet came here on a one year deal. It was all it was ever supposed to be - one year deal to prove himself. The franchise tag would have been incredibly disingenuous and a harsh way to treat a person that helped us win a superbowl while helping himself.

EDIT: I know some people are going to say that you can't get screwed when offered $8million / year. I completely disregard player salaries compared to my own or the general population. I put it in the perspective of the league and other players

Yeah and 13 million for a year is a ton of money - even by NFL standards.

Here is what I don't understand by this - everyone is saying it is ok for him to leave - this is a BUSINESS. I agree it is a business and if we let him go to free agency then he can do whatever is best for himself.

But then someone says, put the tag on him and suddenly - then it is not a business and it is harsh and "incredibly disingenuous."

I don't think you can have it both ways, if this is a business - which it is - then there should be no issues with the ethics of using the tag and working out a long term deal. Look at Haloti Ngata, Logan Mankins etc. This was done with many players. We took the chance on him, we gave him the arena to thrive in and we should have right of first refusal.

Dtowers

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1rbc8yfo said:
It varies over the last few years

But I don't think its as simple as we haven't had anyone over the last few years, or arleast in conjunction with it being a leverage tactic our current leadership shies away from.

It certainly isn't unequivocal and I didn't mean to suggest as much. But the tag isn't something players like. Perhaps JS avoids it (without facing the loss of a truly impact player)

I can agree with that.

McGruff

Reaction score
Its crazy to think that fan thoughts on a random message board at all correlate to their game day behavior, and crazy to think that players care what fans think on a random message board.

90% of message board posters were critical of Shaun Alexander . . . but very few would ever even consider booing him on game day.

I for one hope John Clayton is right, and think most of you are severely undervaluing Michael's contribution to the team. It was Bennett, and not Avril or Clemons, that made this pass rush tick. It was Bennett that Carroll was trying to find since he got here. Posting stats is poor-mans labor . . . watch the tape and see what kind of impact Bennett made. Hurries, pressures and hits are almost as valuable as sacks, and Bennett had those in spades.

jblaze

Reaction score
Something important to note here is that the report stating that the Bears expected to sign Bennett was not from the Bears, but from officials of other teams. It would be one thing to say you expect to sign someone because you have inside knowledge, but if you're speculating about other teams then it's just that, speculation.

This seems like more sensational "journalism" to me. I wouldn't read too much into it. Also John Clayton said this morning that he expects Bennett to stay with the Hawks.

I know it's a lot to ask of .net but let's not overreact. We should know in the next day or two.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Lady Talon... Do you really think these guys care what Twitter fans or the .netters say? Come on...its not like wed be burning his effigy.

Yeah fans can be dumb. But if the FO meets his asking price I don't imagine Bennet is going to go back to his twitter feed before signing on

Maybe I'm wrong...and to be clear I want him back. Just don't wish him harm if he moves on

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
McGruff":1mo6h9lk said:
Its crazy to think that fan thoughts on a random message board at all correlate to their game day behavior, and crazy to think that players care what fans think on a random message board.

90% of message board posters were critical of Shaun Alexander . . . but very few would ever even consider booing him on game day.

I for one hope John Clayton is right, and think most of you are severely undervaluing Michael's contribution to the team. It was Bennett, and not Avril or Clemons, that made this pass rush tick. It was Bennett that Carroll was trying to find since he got here. Posting stats is poor-mans labor . . . watch the tape and see what kind of impact Bennett made. Hurries, pressures and hits are almost as valuable as sacks, and Bennett had those in spades.

I agree with this perception of Bennett. He was the most important part of our pass rush and he had a ton of versatility. ?He was also, arguably, the most important part of our defense after Earl Thomas. When only rushing four players - pass rush is king. And for anyone comparing Scruggs to Bennett, that is crazy at this point in time.

Although people are undervaluing him, I think the front office overplayed their hand in how much they thought he was going to come back. I don't they have been burned like this before and I expect them to be more shrewd in the future.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
McGruff":d6hzei7s said:

If this is true then they should have made an offer that left no question so maybe they think differently about him?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If he chooses to leave a SuperbOwl Champ, not much you can do. We have ZERO idea what is going on behind closed doors. Only speculation from Media, who don't know crap.

mikeak

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":2mdfqngz said:

Here is what I don't understand by this - everyone is saying it is ok for him to leave - this is a BUSINESS. I agree it is a business and if we let him go to free agency then he can do whatever is best for himself.

But then someone says, put the tag on him and suddenly - then it is not a business and it is harsh and "incredibly disingenuous."

I don't think you can have it both ways, if this is a business - which it is - then there should be no issues with the ethics of using the tag and working out a long term deal. Look at Haloti Ngata, Logan Mankins etc. This was done with many players. We took the chance on him, we gave him the arena to thrive in and we should have right of first refusal.

My only disagreement is that this was a business arrangement in that it was a one year deal. That is all it was ever intended to be and I don't think we earned the right of first refusal even if we have it on paper. Sherman, RW etc - players we drafted I completely believe that we franchise if we can't get them re-signed properly. That is part of the business. Someone coming here for just one year I don't. Just a personal belief in what I deem right and wrong in how you treat people. Understand your point just don't agree :)

Where did the $13million come from - is that the franchise tag number? that is a lot - agree but it puts him in a position where he earns zero dollar next season if injured. He wants something with $25-$30million guaranteed and I really can't blame him. It is the reason he played for a small amount last year

I am willing to bet ($1 :)) that in 10 years when PC retires he will admit to making a oral deal with MB not to franchise tag him if he played here for a year

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2lqmoyjf said:
Lady Talon... Do you really think these guys care what Twitter fans or the .netters say? Come on...its not like wed be burning his effigy.

Yeah fans can be dumb. But if the FO meets his asking price I don't imagine Bennet is going to go back to his twitter feed before signing on

Maybe I'm wrong...and to be clear I want him back. Just don't wish him harm if he moves on

It wasn't twitter stalkers or .Net that broke the Costco news with little context, mediots know he's always had a big mouth. Mendenhall just retired because of stalkers. ADB doesn't blame him.

Go read what they think.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 51s
Seahawks have emerged as the favorite to land free-agent DT Michael Bennett, and keep him in Seattle, per sources.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
mikeak":1gvg0exr said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":1gvg0exr said:

My only disagreement is that this was a business arrangement in that it was a one year deal. That is all it was ever intended to be and I don't think we earned the right of first refusal even if we have it on paper. Sherman, RW etc - players we drafted I completely believe that we franchise if we can't get them re-signed properly. That is part of the business. Someone coming here for just one year I don't. Just a personal belief in what I deem right and wrong in how you treat people. Understand your point just don't agree :)

Where did the $13million come from - is that the franchise tag number? that is a lot - agree but it puts him in a position where he earns zero dollar next season if injured. He wants something with $25-$30million guaranteed and I really can't blame him. It is the reason he played for a small amount last year

I am willing to bet ($1 :)) that in 10 years when PC retires he will admit to making a oral deal with MB not to franchise tag him if he played here for a year

It was a one year deal when no one else was signing him. We gave hime the deal and everyone else had the opportunity last year, including the Bears. They didn't sign him.

BTW, although it wasn't this regime, we did sign him as an undrafted free agents out of college.

Status
Not open for further replies.