Philly is very beatable

RiverDog

Reaction score
Pete's familiar with Chip Kelly's offense as he's faced it when he was at USC. It's going to be a very unique test of our defense as this isn't your ordinary hurry up offense that simply denies substitutions, it's gas pedal on the floorboard for 60 minutes. One of the good things we have going for us is that we have a mini bye of sorts to get prepared for it.

Philly's offense looked great yesterday. Mark Sanchez has re-invented himself. This isn't Rex Ryan's butt fumbler, he's an excellent quarterback that has in a very short time mastered Kelly's offense. He was in complete command yesterday, very sure of himself, and his throws were on the money as he completed 20-29 with no int's. Their offense racked up 26 first downs. I'm not taking this team as lightly as others in this thread appear to be doing. We're going to have to bring our A game. It is by far the toughest game we have left on our schedule.

capncrunch

Reaction score
RiverDog":28hi3c2o said:
Pete's familiar with Chip Kelly's offense as he's faced it when he was at USC. It's going to be a very unique test of our defense as this isn't your ordinary hurry up offense that simply denies substitutions, it's gas pedal on the floorboard for 60 minutes. One of the good things we have going for us is that we have a mini bye of sorts to get prepared for it.

Philly's offense looked great yesterday. Mark Sanchez has re-invented himself. This isn't Rex Ryan's butt fumbler, he's an excellent quarterback that has in a very short time mastered Kelly's offense. He was in complete command yesterday, very sure of himself, and his throws were on the money as he completed 20-29 with no int's. Their offense racked up 26 first downs. I'm not taking this team as lightly as others in this thread appear to be doing. We're going to have to bring our A game. It is by far the toughest game we have left on our schedule.

Word.

HawkerD

Reaction score
DrDix":1nhgaf4x said:
Dunno, the Eagles defense showed up BIG time against Dallas. Made their insane O-Line look average. If they do that against our O-Line, we are going to have troubles moving the ball.

Obviously, our defense should be fine.

Should be a good game.

Romo is clearly hurting. Not the same QB we played. The score and the game are misleading. The Eagle D is below average which will help our Offense. As to the Eagle Offense...well we know what happens when a good offense runs into our Defense.

BASF

Reaction score
The points they scored on the Niners were by their defense and special teams. The Niners shut down their offense and I have no doubt that we can do the same. The two Maclin touchdowns in their game against the Cardinals were a WR screen against zero coverage and a mistake by the Cardinals safety on a deep shot down the middle. This team can be had if we continue to play as we did the last two weeks.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Here are some more numbers, building on my last post. Let's take a look at the Eagles' schedule through the lens of Football Outsiders and DVOA. I've highlighted those teams whose DVOA's rank in the top 10 ...

2014 Philadelphia Eagles Schedule ...[Opponents' Defense DVOA]

Week 1 – Home vs. Jaguars (Win 34-17) … Jaguars (10th in Defense DVOA [-3.1%])
Week 2 – at Colts (Win 30-27) … Colts (16th in Defense DVOA [0.9%])
Week 3 – Home vs. Redskins (Win 37-34) … Redskins (25th in Defense DVOA [5.5%])
Week 4 – at 49ers (Loss 26-21) … 49ers (2nd in Defense DVOA [-16.9%])
Week 5 – Home vs. Rams (Win 34-28) … Rams (21st in Defense DVOA [18.1%])
Week 6 – Home vs. Giants (Win 27-0) … Giants (29th in Defense DVOA [9.2%])
Week 7 – BYE
Week 8 – at Cardinals (Loss 24-20) …Cardinals (5th in Defense DVOA [-13.5. %])
Week 9 – at Texans (Win 31-21) … Texans (14th in Defense DVOA [0.3%%])
Week 10 – Home vs. Panthers (Win 45-21) … Panthers (26th in Defense DVOA [6.1%])
Week 11 – at Packers (Loss 53-20) … Packers (13th in Defense DVOA [-0.7%])
Week 12 – Home vs. Titans (Win 43-24) … Titans (30th in Defense DVOA [10.4%])
Week 13 – at Cowboys (Win 33-10) … Cowboys (24th in Defense DVOA [5.4%])

Source:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

2014 Philadelphia Eagles Schedule ...[Opponents' Offense DVOA]

Week 1 – Home vs. Jaguars (Win 34-17) … Jaguars (32nd in Offense DVOA [-26.6%])
Week 2 – at Colts (Win 30-27) … Colts (13th in Offense DVOA [1.5%])
Week 3 – Home vs. Redskins (Win 37-34) … Redskins (23rd in Offense DVOA [-10.7%])
Week 4 – at 49ers (Loss 26-21) … 49ers (18th in Offense DVOA [-5.1%])
Week 5 – Home vs. Rams (Win 34-28) … Rams (27th in Offense DVOA [-12.1%])
Week 6 – Home vs. Giants (Win 27-0) … Giants (21st in Offense DVOA [-8.5%])
Week 7 – BYE
Week 8 – at Cardinals (Loss 24-20) …Cardinals (22nd in Offense DVOA [-10.0%])
Week 9 – at Texans (Win 31-21) … Texans (17th in Offense DVOA [-4.5%])
Week 10 – Home vs. Panthers (Win 45-21) … Panthers (26th in Offense DVOA [-12.1%])
Week 11 – at Packers (Loss 53-20) … Packers (2nd in Offense DVOA [25.4%])
Week 12 – Home vs. Titans (Win 43-24) … Titans (20th in Offense DVOA [-8.1%])
Week 13 – at Cowboys (Win 33-10) … Cowboys (5th in Offense DVOA [14.5%])

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

Football Outsiders had the Seahawks ranked (as of 11/25) ...

7th in Defense DVOA [-7.3%]
8th in Offense DVOA [10.5%]

As you can see just based purely upon DVOA, this Seahawks team is going to be the strongest DVOA team (on both sides of the ball) that the Eagles have faced all year long. The best team that they have faced up until this point has been the Packers -- and you can see what happened there. Will the Hawks end up making Philly Cheesesteak of Chip Kelly's team? Will it be a day that will live in infamy for the Hawks? Who's to say. Pete Carroll and his staff are one of the best in the league in their ability to put together game plans to take advantage of the weaknesses of an opponent. Carroll knows Chip Kelly well from his time at USC ... and I don't know if there is anyone else out there (besides his mother perhaps) who knows Mark Sanchez better than Pete Carroll. Carroll and his staff with 10 days worth of planning ... are a dangerous foe indeed. I know I can't wait for the attack to begin.

Seafan

Reaction score
The best thing about this game is it is not a 10:00am game. The Cowboys didn't have a chance to prepare for the crazy tempo the Eagles throw at them. Hopefully since the Hawks have rediscovered their defensive energy will be up to the task. The offense needs to help out the defense and pound the Eagles and keep their O off the field. Very winnable.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
HawkerD":30y7q2rn said:
DrDix":30y7q2rn said:
Dunno, the Eagles defense showed up BIG time against Dallas. Made their insane O-Line look average. If they do that against our O-Line, we are going to have troubles moving the ball.

Should be a good game.

Romo is clearly hurting. Not the same QB we played. The score and the game are misleading. The Eagle D is below average which will help our Offense. As to the Eagle Offense...well we know what happens when a good offense runs into our Defense.

Romo was really having a hard time getting anything on his throws yesterday. Especially in the 2nd half, 20 yarders were rainbow lobs. He's obviously hurting badly.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":3cf58iiu said:
HawkerD":3cf58iiu said:
DrDix":3cf58iiu said:

Should be a good game.

Romo was really having a hard time getting anything on his throws yesterday. Especially in the 2nd half, 20 yarders were rainbow lobs. He's obviously hurting badly.

Romo is denying it, but I don't believe him. He went down at the first hint of pressure, and that's not like him. He's usually very good at managing a pocket and extending plays like he did against us earlier this year when he beat us on a 3rd and 20.

One thing about Romo is that he won't take himself out of games when he's injured. I don't know whether to admire his courage or denounce his selfishness, but he hangs in there. I'm beginning to think that Jason Garrett doesn't have any balls, that he's afraid to cross Jerry Jones when it comes to benching JJ's pet quarterback.

seahawksny

Reaction score
19 points is not going to cut it
Then again, Philly's D is nowhere near the strength of AZ and SF, but we MUST improve our red zone offense. im not interested in Steven Hauschka going to the Hall of Fame. Great win on D last night, but lack of points will catch up to us sooner or later.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
seahawksny":2u0k8t8k said:
19 points is not going to cut it
Then again, Philly's D is nowhere near the strength of AZ and SF, but we MUST improve our red zone offense. im not interested in Steven Hauschka going to the Hall of Fame. Great win on D last night, but lack of points will catch up to us sooner or later.

Dallas's O-line is one of the best this year, they have allowed Romo 7 seconds or more to stay in the pocket and Philly dismantled them yesterday and they'll be at home. I wouldn't under estimate there D.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":17396qsr said:
Here are some more numbers, building on my last post. Let's take a look at the Eagles' schedule through the lens of Football Outsiders and DVOA. I've highlighted those teams whose DVOA's rank in the top 10 ...

2014 Philadelphia Eagles Schedule ...[Opponents' Defense DVOA]

Week 1 – Home vs. Jaguars (Win 34-17) … Jaguars (10th in Defense DVOA [-3.1%])
Week 2 – at Colts (Win 30-27) … Colts (16th in Defense DVOA [0.9%])
Week 3 – Home vs. Redskins (Win 37-34) … Redskins (25th in Defense DVOA [5.5%])
Week 4 – at 49ers (Loss 26-21) … 49ers (2nd in Defense DVOA [-16.9%])
Week 5 – Home vs. Rams (Win 34-28) … Rams (21st in Defense DVOA [18.1%])
Week 6 – Home vs. Giants (Win 27-0) … Giants (29th in Defense DVOA [9.2%])
Week 7 – BYE
Week 8 – at Cardinals (Loss 24-20) …Cardinals (5th in Defense DVOA [-13.5. %])
Week 9 – at Texans (Win 31-21) … Texans (14th in Defense DVOA [0.3%%])
Week 10 – Home vs. Panthers (Win 45-21) … Panthers (26th in Defense DVOA [6.1%])
Week 11 – at Packers (Loss 53-20) … Packers (13th in Defense DVOA [-0.7%])
Week 12 – Home vs. Titans (Win 43-24) … Titans (30th in Defense DVOA [10.4%])
Week 13 – at Cowboys (Win 33-10) … Cowboys (24th in Defense DVOA [5.4%])

Source:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

2014 Philadelphia Eagles Schedule ...[Opponents' Offense DVOA]

Week 1 – Home vs. Jaguars (Win 34-17) … Jaguars (32nd in Offense DVOA [-26.6%])
Week 2 – at Colts (Win 30-27) … Colts (13th in Offense DVOA [1.5%])
Week 3 – Home vs. Redskins (Win 37-34) … Redskins (23rd in Offense DVOA [-10.7%])
Week 4 – at 49ers (Loss 26-21) … 49ers (18th in Offense DVOA [-5.1%])
Week 5 – Home vs. Rams (Win 34-28) … Rams (27th in Offense DVOA [-12.1%])
Week 6 – Home vs. Giants (Win 27-0) … Giants (21st in Offense DVOA [-8.5%])
Week 7 – BYE
Week 8 – at Cardinals (Loss 24-20) …Cardinals (22nd in Offense DVOA [-10.0%])
Week 9 – at Texans (Win 31-21) … Texans (17th in Offense DVOA [-4.5%])
Week 10 – Home vs. Panthers (Win 45-21) … Panthers (26th in Offense DVOA [-12.1%])
Week 11 – at Packers (Loss 53-20) … Packers (2nd in Offense DVOA [25.4%])
Week 12 – Home vs. Titans (Win 43-24) … Titans (20th in Offense DVOA [-8.1%])
Week 13 – at Cowboys (Win 33-10) … Cowboys (5th in Offense DVOA [14.5%])

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

Football Outsiders had the Seahawks ranked (as of 11/25) ...

7th in Defense DVOA [-7.3%]
8th in Offense DVOA [10.5%]

As you can see just based purely upon DVOA, this Seahawks team is going to be the strongest DVOA team (on both sides of the ball) that the Eagles have faced all year long. The best team that they have faced up until this point has been the Packers -- and you can see what happened there. Will the Hawks end up making Philly Cheesesteak of Chip Kelly's team? Will it be a day that will live in infamy for the Hawks? Who's to say. Pete Carroll and his staff are one of the best in the league in their ability to put together game plans to take advantage of the weaknesses of an opponent. Carroll knows Chip Kelly well from his time at USC ... and I don't know if there is anyone else out there (besides his mother perhaps) who knows Mark Sanchez better than Pete Carroll. Carroll and his staff with 10 days worth of planning ... are a dangerous foe indeed. I know I can't wait for the attack to begin.

Good stuff, thanks!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I'd say we better respect that team their defense came to play and there is nothing like that tempo they run. With that said we should win if our offense scores more then 1 TD but it's not going to be easy. I would say we going to have to score at least 24 points because they're good for at least 20 points.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
If the Seahawks can go to SF and beat the 49ers fairly handily.....they can definitely beat the Eagles. Seahawks have had success in beating the Eagles in Philly too. Seahawks have the best defense in the NFL. Eagles haven't faced that yet.

Plus last night's game should have been 27-3 but the refs took two tds away on some questionable calls (Moeaki td and pick call on Turbin).

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Philly worries me with our lack of depth and their up-tempo. They have a lot of great weapons and a QB who every other game seems to not make bad decisions. Philly is an ok-team with a scheme that is tough to play.

I'm still picking the Hawks in a big ol fashioned blowout.

mrblitz

Reaction score
shut down philly's #25 and our chances go up exponentially.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
The only thing I worry about is the intensity of the crowd and how it affects the game.

Given that Philly is suddenly fairly good, and their fans believe they have a chance, and that they are going up against the Super Bowl champs, that is going to be one rowdy crowd.

Also, Philly in December. Early weather reports are that it will be probably in the high 30s and clear, but who knows if that changes.

pmedic920

Reaction score
It's been mentioned but my biggest concern is, the speed that the Eagles run plays.
They get a lot of plays run in a short period of time.
I think if we get TIME to play our style of defense, we win.
If not we will need help, ie turnovers.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
A lot of people seem to think the Eagles have a below average defense. FO lists them as the 8th best defense. Seattle is listed at 7th.

That's a good defense.

It's their offense I think is beatable. It's not done as well vs good defenses. 20 pts. That's what I give them. Which means we have to do better.