philosophy change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris98251

Reaction score
Also thinking about it, people may not love a good defensive game and want the 300 yds passing a game offense and scores. How many times has this board got caught up in it's a passing league statements. We are a ball control run team with passing ability. Do I think we want more comfort in our winning margins, yes, but not at the point of having the defense be sacrificed to have offense on ESPN highlights.

irocdave

Reaction score
Reinventing the team has to happen when the QB gets paid 18 - 20 million a year. Look at what happened to previous SB winning teams that had great defenses and good QB's during the salary cap era. Everyone gets paid or leaves, the talent level drops across the board and the QB is the guy taking up the largest percentage of the salary. If your going to allocate that percentage of the salary cap per year to one player ( the QB) he better be the guy that can make up for several lesser players at several positions. The current Hawks D wasn't built in a year, it took almost 3 years plus a couple of big time free agents. When RW gets his next contract it changes everything for the Hawks. They wont be able to take the best player available in the draft, they will need to address immediate holes.

That's where the onus lies with changing from a defensive team to offensive. It's directly linked to the QB's contract. Look no further than the Patriots for an example of this.

theascension

Reaction score
We can and will succeed if we need to rely on offense more somewhere down the line in the future but I don't see us ever not being a top 5 defense with Carroll around. We've locked down Chancellor, will lock down ET and will have a good chance to lock down Sherman next year.

If you don't think we can do it offensively... well did you even watch the Falcons playoff game? 368 passing yards, 60 yards rushing and we would have won the game if our defense had come through. Every single time Russel's been asked to carry the team he has.

We lost 2 games because of offense in 2013, Arizona and SF, tough divisional games. The Indy game our defense couldn't contain TY Law. However without Russell we would have lost to the Texans, Buccaneers .

Everything about our team is designed around our strength which is the defense, if that starts becoming not our greatest strength we'll let the Wilson loose and we'll be just fine. He can easily throw 300 yards a game if he got the attempts and a better than the worst O-line in the league.

chris98251

Reaction score
Steelers have been a defensive team forever, they lack offense these days, they continue with reloading on defense year in and year out. Letting popular players go if necessary becasue of cap reasons. I don't see us as being that different going forward.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
They won't change to a dominant offensive philosophy. I can see Pete going about 55/45 pass heavy, as he remarked at the time of the Percy Harvin trade, not exactly an overwhelming shift. But we won't always have the #1 defensive team in the league either.

I think we'll come to a point where we will put more focus on the offense to get the job done, doesn't mean PC is likely to drop out of the top 5 yardage and PA wise, unless Earl or another catastrophic defensive injury occurs. In that case I suspect we'll see Wilson airing it out quite a bit.

We don't need to keep replicating the most dominant defense in the league to win championships, but the philosophy will stay much the same barring major injuries.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Throwdown":1u5ewugf said:
As long as we have the LOB, defense will always be amazing.

That and why move away from a philosophy that this particular coaching staff and head coach has been using since day 1?

I mean we just won the Superbowl and some think that a change in philosophy may be a good idea? Why change something that isn't broke?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I think it's more about his cap number, the fact he plays less then half the snaps, and serious depth at his position that we have to play if not now by next year.

Also like Lady Talon I expect our offense to take a larger role going 55/45 pass vs. run. For the reasons she listed.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I think it's more about his cap number, the fact he plays less then half the snaps, and serious depth at his position that we have to play if not now by next year.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Guess the alcoholic beverages I had last night prevented me from conveying myself properly. My bad.

sutz

Reaction score
I don't see a change in philosophy. Sure, there will be tweaks in schemes as the roster evolves, but basic philosophy won't change until/unless it stops working.

:229031_shrug:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":9ii3xb23 said:
Throwdown":9ii3xb23 said:
As long as we have the LOB, defense will always be amazing.

That and why move away from a philosophy that this particular coaching staff and head coach has been using since day 1?

I mean we just won the Superbowl and some think that a change in philosophy may be a good idea? Why change something that isn't broke?
[/b :13:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Someone posed it correctly, This Is Not Fantasy Football. The biggest crutch that this team has is fantasy football is not the method to win in the NFL. Use the other teams PRIMA Donnas for Fantasy Football and you will be fine, WE want another OWL win. NFL takes teamwork and that is what Pete is instilling in the core. When one does not measure up to standards (dang high standards), they must make room for another. Next man up..et al...The next Superb Owl season starts now.

gmor

Reaction score
There's no reason to change the overall philosophy. Minor tweaking is done all the time to better fit the personnel. The success of our roster has come from finding late round gems that fit and blossom in PC's schemes.

As far as losing personnel off the dline, I think Mcdaniel slides over to five, Mcdonald slides into his place and Hill and the others fight for playing time. This assumes they are re-signed and should be at a very reasonable price. Finding the right guys to come in and be eventual starters is a constant.

chris98251

Reaction score
Thinking about it, lets use Denvers Philosophy, lots of great Stats for everyone to drool over, who needs a defense when you are leading the league in offense anyway.

Being sarcastic, but I don't get why people think when you have a legendary defense and it comes into someones thoughts that we do stuff different.

I mean if you buy a gun and a box of ammo do you throw the gun away or just reload when it's empty?

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
I was talking about a forced change in the event that we NEED to score because our defense isnt as good and the confidence people had in the offense to adapt to higher scoring offensive style..

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2emwdvts said:
If there's one thing we learned from the Super bowl, it's that higher scoring offensive teams have a serious advantage over dominant defensive teams.

Wait... that doesn't sound right.

Missed the point again. You have to have the personel to implement the philosophy.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Why would Pete change his philosophy when it's working so well the way it is being Coached up?
I could see him working with his philosophy in ways to try and eliminate the mistakes that are being made, on the Defense, and work towards perfecting the pass rush.
While going up against the Defense in practice, Russell Wilson's skills and athleticism helps to hone the Defenses up, to be even better on game days.
I watched A Football Life about Randall Cunningham today, and it was mentioned that Defenses were unable to practice against his style of play, because there was nobody else in the League that could come close to duplicating the way he tore Defenses up.
His downfall was trying to do it all, and by himself.
I see Wilson as a Quarterback along those same lines, although maybe not quite as athletic, but every bit the enigma on tendencies, plus, he doesn't try to defeat other teams all by himself as Cunningham was prone to doing.
After only two Seasons under his belt, I see Russell Wilson only getting better at his job, as there is a hell of a lot to digest in the Quarterback position, and I don't expect that any Quarterback can even come close perfecting their game in that short of time.
Nowadays, Defensive players are getting scary faster, and that forces the learning curve to be sped just up to keep pace.

JMR

Reaction score
I don't think Pete wants to change, but it's going to be tougher to pull off when our QB is making $20 mill a season. We can acknowledge that without being blasphemers.

Status
Not open for further replies.