philosophy change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I believe the passing game, and everything that goes with it, will be a distant third in the Carroll world.

Running game and defense. All day every day. Don't rest until those are set. Then move on to the passing game.

nsport

Reaction score
Going to boost the OP's point a bit to make it more rhetorical: Let's just pretend for a sec that next year's version of the LOB is a tick or two lower. The LB's play ok, but not as good as this year. And the DL takes a step down - all viable scenarios!

Is there reason to believe that the offensive philosophy can change to support a decrease in defensive ability?

The ways to improve the offense and make that possible:
- Improved OL abilities/execution - we can all agree that our OL was not a strength of the team this year
- Broaden the use of the RB position - we were very much a smash-mouth team in 2013. More dynamicism similar to how PHI uses Shady McCoy.
- WR's to do more overall - 26 passes per game, no Harvin and no Rice for the better of the year - WR could flip to more of a strength with fewer injuries and a few more pass attempt per game.
- TE's who do more than block and occasionally fool the defense on nekkid's. - Would be nice to have a go-to TE like a Graham, Davis, etc. Our guys are probably capable, but it's not our philosophy right now - they are best known for being open on a naked bootleg or waggle

chris98251

Reaction score
Everyone loves we won the Super Bowl it seems, those that bet on spreads and had Fantasy leagues are still bitter that the Broncos got handled so bad an that the Broncos didn't score enough to win their leagues I guess.

If there is one thing evident, Pete knows how to build a defense, he knows how to bring in talent and coach it up, history of teams that have had a good defense and a good staff can maintain it. Walsh and Siefert had it, Steelers have had it thru 3 coaches now, Cowboys had it with Landry and Johnson, Denvers Ortange Crush and the Rams and Vikings as well as Parcells and the Giants, Shulas No Name Defense, Raiders under Madden. I can go on and on. Its when a team decides to bet hevily on the Offense that they become inconsistent. Once a formula is found to stop offensive talent and is copied many teams struggle.

Knox had a hell of a defense here in our first big run, He just refused to open up at all in the playoffs with us and the Rams. Winniung follows a defense. The Patriots have been winners because of their defense of their run complimented by the offense. Not because of Brady, Brady has been the benificiary of Belicheks defensive genius.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
BlueBlood":2fs8b4ld said:
Seahawk Sailor":2fs8b4ld said:
If there's one thing we learned from the Super bowl, it's that higher scoring offensive teams have a serious advantage over dominant defensive teams.

Wait... that doesn't sound right.

Missed the point again. You have to have the personel to implement the philosophy.

My point was that they won't abandon focus on defense and finding good defensive players to switch to a more offensive-minded plan just because of personnel changes. It may happen that our defense next year is not as good as this year's historic defense, and it may be that our offense will be better with all the high-caliber pieces we were missing last year. But that does not indicate a change in philosophy.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
The defensive philosophy may not change but the offensive one may. If somehow the Seahawks were to acquire Desean Jackson it could. I had a feeling the coaches wanted more dynamic out of the offense and with Jackson they'd have that.

While some aren't big on the guy he's obviously talented as hell. The Seahawks with the addition of Allen and Jackson could be one of the best teams to ever play. If only for a year.

But looking further, the seahawks have a plan and if Percy is injured a lot, again, he may be out as early as 2015 along with Lynch.. We won't be able to keep everyone but it's going to be very interesting to see how PC and JS keep this going.

The college type revolving door could be something we need to get used to and may turn the roster upside down every few years while trying to remain in contention for the championship.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
With Russell improving, our ol staying healthy and Percy on the field, I'd expect open things up a bit

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1198xwcw said:
With Russell improving, our ol staying healthy and Percy on the field, I'd expect open things up a bit

Obviously a healthy Harvin opens things up by default. Harvin opens everything up, if by some miracle Jackson came at a reasonable price people would be crazy not to be absolutely jacked!

chris98251

Reaction score
Since you are turning this into a Jackson love child thread it can be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts