Pick 154: Olusegun Oluwatimi Center Michigan

Rainger

Reaction score
He did win the Rimington award multiple times.

Rimington Trophy-
“The Dave Rimington Trophy is awarded to the player considered to be the best center in college football. Dave Rimington was a center who played at the University of Nebraska from 1979 to 1982.Wikipedia
You missed my point he is better than saying he is JUST A GOOD. Center. You have to be a VERY good centre to win the awards. You down played him.

bileever

Reaction score
Pretty happy to get him at #154, as opposed to picking Joe Tippmann at #37. (Jets picked him at #43.) Most scouts thought that both Tippmann and John Michael Schmitz were not sure things, but it still would have required second round picks to get them.

chris98251

Reaction score
Oluwatimi's stock in the draft fell because of one combine measurable: he has small hands. This from Pro Football Network:

"Let’s address the elephant in Olusegun Oluwatimi‘s profile — or rather, the mouse. Olu has some of the smallest mitts you’ll find in the NFL (8 5/8″), and it doesn’t help that he’s struggled with latching in college."

He's strong and athletic and has size. The comparisons to Blythe are ridiculous. Are the concerns about his hand size legitimate?
Those Center options in pass catching are going to be hard to pull off now. :)

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
Wait.
What did I miss.

What’s “latching” have they added a category to the measurables of linemen.

I literally googled it and this is what shows up. I have no idea how this translates on the field.

Signed
Confused in Texas.
Good form. Head up. Both hands on the chest plate. Can't tell if he's keeping his feet moving, but he looks relaxed and in control even when doubled. I can see why he won the Rimmington and the Outland...

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Latching sounds like a good pregame ritual. Sign me up. Oh a games coming on. See ya…!

GGotskill

Reaction score
Settle down there GhostRider.

If you know want “latching” is in football terms, please enlighten me/us.

It looks like he didn't mean to quote your post.

As for latching, maybe it is a reference to holding in some way? Like he gets out of position and "latches" on? I don't know, but that's what springs to mind.

GGotskill

Reaction score
It looks like he didn't mean to quote your post.

As for latching, maybe it is a reference to holding in some way? Like he gets out of position and "latches" on? I don't know, but that's what springs to mind.

Actually now that I look at the quote a little more closely, I think he is referring to the legal type of holding oline get away with, hence the remark about hand size. A lineman's ability to legally hold, grabbing the jersey in tight by the numbers without extending their arms, probably does relate to hand size & grip strength.