Pick #16 - DT Byron Murphy

Optimus25

Reaction score
Mac put on the tape and he saw keystone cops out there when the Hawks tried to stop the run and rush the passer from the inside. No offense intended to D. Jones but he did not live up to his contract that he signed. But I think Mac can rejuvenate D. Jones' career.
jones may have been the most invisible ‘big name’ pickup in league history.

Chapow

Reaction score
I can't even fathom thinking this was a horrible pick. I can certainly understand preferring someone else, but even if you did, this was a helluva consolation prize. Dude's a beast and is going to thrive in MacDonald's defense. I couldn't be mad at this pick if I tried.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The ”we didn’t have the guts to pick Carter” pick. But we will see. Surprised they didn’t take Turner or Verse.

Nothing against Murphy. I hope he kills it!
Those guys are gonna do great, but we've got a lot more youth and production at edge. Three aging guys, Dre, and Cam Young weren't going to cut it in the interior (and I really like Leonard Williams).

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Troy Fautanu or Dallas Turner. Much much better prospects.
There’s clearly something going on with Turner. The broadcasters were saying something about him not giving consistent effort.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I'm leaning that way too.
I love Texas DTs. Guys like Sam Adams worked out great for us.
Wanted nothing to do with Dallas Turner, so could be worse.
But

Stuff about his iffy work ethic and taking plays off is worrisome. Lack of work ethic rarely works out for anyone.
Let's hope that stuff was overblown. He's on the team now so I hope it works out.
You’re thinking of Sweat

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Those guys are gonna do great, but we've got a lot more youth and production at edge. Three aging guys, Dre, and Cam Young weren't going to cut it in the interior (and I really like Leonard Williams).
this was arguably one of the worst positions on our defense last season. Linebacker is also a problematic area, wouldn't be surprised to see us draft a LB or too coming up.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I've quickly looked at a bunch of scouting reports since the pick and not one makes any reference to a
Okay I change my initial post. I like the pick. I got caught up listening to Kiper bringing up his lack of production numbers.

Sorry guys. Good pick Go Hawks
Kiper? You mean the guy who gave the Hawks an F in 2012? It wasn't you who questioned his work ethic but someone did. And I quickly looked at multiple scouting reports with pros and cons, and no-one mentioned work ethic as a weakness.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Absolutely. A disruptive interior lineman is vital for any defense. And Murphy has Williams to teach him.

Chevy

Reaction score
Murphy is the best DT in the draft. He is not the best pass rushing DT in the draft, that goes to Florida State DT Braden Fiske. But Murphy is still a very disruptive DT and a much better run stopper than Fiske. I think Murphy will be a stud playing DE on our defense.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Man just think during 2022, when I think the rotation was mostly between 3 UDFAs all over 25 (Harris, Ford, Mone), a 36 year old 4th rounder (Woods) and 29 year old 5th rounder (Jefferson).

Fast forward to 2024, for now, you got 2 first rounders (Williams, Murphy), a 2nd rounder (Reed), a 3rd Rounder (Jones), a 4th rounder (Young), and a 5th rounder (Morris).

With Murphy, Morris, and Young all under 24 years old.

Night and Day in both overall talent and future potential.