Pick #210, Justin Senior, T, MSST

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/858427484093722624[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/robstaton/status/858426298829598720[/tweet]

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Seems like a bad choice for zone scheme. Just about the worst athleticism out there. Lead feet.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3vv5d9wj said:
NFL.com guys said he's not a good blocker. Very inconsistent and struggles in one-on-one blocking assignments.

Just what we're looking for. I bet he's "nasty" though and has those magical Cable intangibles. I look forward to seeing him in the 4th quarter of the preseason...and then starting midseason at LT.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
You can either get a Joey Hunt or coach a guy up at this stage in the draft. Pick your poison. I like the pick. He's got everything you want, might be able to be coached into a technically proficient blocker. Has everything you want length wise.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Confirmed, he met with Tom Cable. Now it makes sense.

Edit -- AND we see him as an LT, LOL!

Jville

Reaction score
Hawkfish":3freizri said:
At least he played OL in college. Guess the Tom Cable DT conversion experiment is over.

I think their athletic baseline drove them to try conversion projects. Unfortunately, there were never enough candidates to sort thru or enough allowance for one on one coaching.

So ..... they lowered their athletic requirements. I think they are now hunting for a fleet athleticism that takes advantage of the college line talent available. But, league limits on Individual coaching time remains an obstacle for all developmental efforts.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This was pick #210 in the draft.

R-E-L-A-X. Lengthy, developmental tackles are common picks at this end of the draft.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/858432105730068480[/tweet]

Listen >>>> [urltargetblank]https://www.pscp.tv/Seahawks/1nAKEBXqVpYGL?[/urltargetblank]

hawknation2017

Reaction score
I remember being intrigued by this guy months ago until I actually focused on his play during the season. Horrible pass pro technique and effort.

Being told that he will play LT just seems like a troll job, LOL.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
The Patriots took Conor McDermott will the very next pick. McDermott has some ugly tape too with similar issues, but in other ways he was the better prospect, I thought. A great athlete with decent pass pro technique who has actually played LT and maybe can be molded into something.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1fn4quka said:
I remember being intrigued by this guy months ago until I actually focused on his play during the season. Horrible pass pro technique and effort.

lol it's nicer than saying we just hope you're not a burnt pick...

he does got a LT build (length, wingspan, size, minus any muscle tone by the looks of it) if they can ever get his game in order..... so it makes sense to coach him up with that intention, who knows he may be a serviceable back up or more one day

hawknation2017

Reaction score
flmmkrz":34tjsy1s said:
hawknation2017":34tjsy1s said:

lol it's nicer than saying we just hope you're not a burnt pick...

he does got a LT build (length, wingspan, size, minus any muscle tone by the looks of it) if they can ever get his game in order..... so it makes sense to coach him up with that intention, who knows he may be a serviceable back up or more one day

Yeah, maybe they're trying to motivate him to learn the left side to get him in better shape and refine his pass pro technique before training camp starts. He's been a RG/RT for so long and that seems like the more natural position for him. But he has a better chance to make the roster if he can be a swing tackle/utility option.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The problem is he's going to be coached by Tom Cable...not exactly a promising future for the kid. My regards to him. I feel for him. Ask Terry Poole or Kristjan Sokoli how Cable coached them up and developed their NFL career.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1gjuawy0 said:
Seems like a bad choice for zone scheme. Just about the worst athleticism out there. Lead feet.

athleticism is better for man blocking schemes

lsheldon

Reaction score
hawknation2017":218vhta7 said:

Seahawks scouting report lists his pass protection skills as one of his positives.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
hawkfan68":j8hvguav said:
The problem is he's going to be coached by Tom Cable...not exactly a promising future for the kid. My regards to him. I feel for him. Ask Terry Poole or Kristjan Sokoli how Cable coached them up and developed their NFL career.
I dislike Cable as much as the next guy. But to be fair, Terry Poole was projected as a 6th-UDFA. He was the first lineman taken by Seattle in the 2015 draft in the 4th round. He was a major reach.

toffee

Reaction score
What he does best:

Athletic and has the movement skills required of the tackle position in the NFL.
Very consistent throughout the season, never posting a poor game.
Adept zone blocker who excelled in Mississippi State’s scheme.
Great frame and long arms that he understands how to utilize already.
Accelerates feet through contact and generates movement regularly.

Biggest concern:

Can over set rusher in pass protection and struggles changing directions inside vs. speed pass rushers.
Poor posture in pass protection with his weight too far forward. Got dominated by push-pull moves.
Not refined in most phases of his game with simplistic blocking schemes at Mississippi State.
More potential than production up to this point.
Will need to be taught NFL style pass-blocking techniques and schemes which showed as he struggled in the Senior Bowl game.

Bottom line:

One of the more athletic tackles in the draft. Senior is going to need a complete re-tool of his pass-blocking technique. He also has a learning curve in understanding an NFL offense. Senior may not be a Day 1 starter but his physical ability will quickly make up for his learning curve and bad fundamentals. His versatility to play in any scheme and make any block will serve him well. His PFF grades were good, not great, at Mississippi State but in that offense and blocking schemes, he was their best player. Senior has a high ceiling and his physical tools and potential will probably lead to him being drafted ahead of most of the other offensive linemen entering the draft.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft- ... ppi-state/

Cable special much?

Seafan

Reaction score
He's practice squad material. Can't be worst than Gilliam. The Hawks don't need him to be a starter but if he does have some upside it surely was worth a late pick. He gained weight his senior year and that led to his slide. JS said that Senior knows he needs to lose the weight and get in shape to compete. The Hawks didn't need to get younger on the OL. I like the pick. Decent gamble which is what anything after the 4th round in this year's draft is.

Latest posts