Pick #210, Justin Senior, T, MSST

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Do people actually care if they pick a guy who they heard of or not? How many times since PC and JS were here have we heard names that we didn't know. Only to see them become solid player? Quite often.

naholmes

Reaction score
I had heard of this guy before only because I had drafted him in the 6th round of the first-pick game. The knock on him that I heard was he gained 20 lbs between his jr and sr year of college and he was too heavy. That could explain the poor testing numbers. If he is able to get in shape then the athleticism should improve. However, that is easier said than done as we've seen with lineman, most recently Alvin Bailey.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I just got through listening to the Seahawks Day 3 Press Conference, so thought I would share here what Pete and John said about Justin Senior.

Schneider said that Justin Senior had a much better Junior year than Senior year. He said that he's a "great kid", "very smart", and that he was a "very, very good pass protector. He got a little heavy for his Senior year and that's something that we're probably going to have to monitor here when he gets in here and that's why he went so late. But he's got a lot of tools to work with. He just needs to decide if he wants to be a player or not."

Schneider was asked about Senior's testing numbers and why they were down this year and Schneider said, "Yeah, in his Junior year he played at 295 pounds and in his Senior year he played about 315, 317 something like that. And then he continued to climb a little bit. He's got a lot of talent. He did not have a good Senior Bowl Week and knows that, I think, this is a pretty cool wake-up call for him to be selected where he was selected, because like I said his scores (with the coaches) and the way they do it and everything -- his pass protection's phenomenal."

Carroll ended by adding, "We're going to move him on both sides. He finished at right, we'll probably start him on the left side."

So, it's very clear that they see him as a bit of a project. They believe that if they can get his weight down (and keep it down) that they feel that they potentially have themselves a Left Tackle in Justin Senior (I'm guessing maybe 2 years down the road).

You can watch their comments on Senior for yourself below [starts at 7:35] ...

[youtube]ILa8iomxepY[/youtube]

Josea16

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":39bg1fww said:
HawkFan72":39bg1fww said:
NFL.com guys said he's not a good blocker. Very inconsistent and struggles in one-on-one blocking assignments.

Just what we're looking for. I bet he's "nasty" though and has those magical Cable intangibles. I look forward to seeing him in the 4th quarter of the preseason...and then starting midseason at LT.
I actually wrote a logical response but it got erased and it bored me. Just like this particular negative post. You aren't the only boring negative person here but you're available since Seymour is on my block list. I feel many other Negative Nellie types on this site will be on said list really quick. This team with health and just a barely decent OL is a 13+ win team, if not the first 19-0 team in history regardless of New England. If healthy unlike the last two years they are pre-cap scary.

Last year's OL was criminally young and still is and will be much better just by breathing currently, let alone actually having actual OL veterans in the mix with quantifiable success in the NFL.

toffee

Reaction score
Josea16":1zu2f10g said:
West TX Hawk":1zu2f10g said:
HawkFan72":1zu2f10g said:
NFL.com guys said he's not a good blocker. Very inconsistent and struggles in one-on-one blocking assignments.

Just what we're looking for. I bet he's "nasty" though and has those magical Cable intangibles. I look forward to seeing him in the 4th quarter of the preseason...and then starting midseason at LT.
I actually wrote a logical response but it got erased and it bored me. Just like this particular negative post. You aren't the only boring negative person here but you're available since Seymour is on my block list. I feel many other Negative Nellie types on this site will be on said list really quick. This team with health and just a barely decent OL is a 13+ win team, if not the first 19-0 team in history regardless of New England. If healthy unlike the last two years they are pre-cap scary.

Last year's OL was criminally young and still is and will be much better just by breathing currently, let alone actually having actual OL veterans in the mix with quantifiable success in the NFL.

By that you meant Joeckel?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Interesting that we're moving away from OL projects, and this year focused on players well schooled in the ZBS fundamentals. Seems like a consistent theme and significant change from our draft grading for OL in the past.

From what I've read, Senior is a player who has steadily improved as his career has progressed. Not expecting him to contribute this season. May not make the PS either.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":ubmkoziu said:
Interesting that we're moving away from OL projects, and this year focused on players well schooled in the ZBS fundamentals. Seems like a consistent theme and significant change from our draft grading for OL in the past.

From what I've read, Senior is a player who has steadily improved as his career has progressed. Not expecting him to contribute this season. May not make the PS either.

May not make the practice squad too because he may be snatched by another team?

Jville

Reaction score
Justin Senior, along with 89 other players, committed to a six week plan at the close of mini-camp designed specifically for him. Come July 29th, the staff will find out how he and the others did. If Justin hit all his marks, he'll be in great shape to move on to the next phase ..... training camp. If he struggled, he may very well fade into the background and go the way of Terry Poole and other disappointments.

The genius of this years draft was in the selection of the versatile Ethan Pocic. Not only does he bring the flexibility to get the best 5 on the field, he will also give them enhanced options when the final cuts are due and they have to chose who to carry in those 8th and 9th and possibly 10th spots. That bods well for Justin in competing for a swing tackle role during a time of persistent shortages at offensive tackle ......... as long as he works with a sense of urgency and continues to make progress. To prevail, he has to really want it.

In a time of shortage, every year is a good year to add a competitive rookie tackle. George Fant reaffirmed that reality last year.

toffee

Reaction score
Senior play at 320-330 lbs in his senior, according to our GM, that was too heavy and affected his performance. If he could reduce to around 310 or so, he could be much quicker.

Jville

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2lwu800w said:

Your right. Different criteria in going from 2016 to 2017. ZBS instead of spread invites more manageable learning curves. John and Pete put too much on Tom's plate in 2016. They found and exceeded the limits. Lesson learned. Doubling down on versatility moved to the forefront for depth and chemistry. And this year, there was likely greater interest in upgrading the weaker links than chasing the next All Pro prospect.

Latest posts