Pick #27

Largent80

Reaction score
To me, when I look at this draft and pick #27, I think this would be the year they don't even consider trading it and one of the reasons I say that is just so many good players will be available at positions the Hawks need, and their needs are many simply due to F.A. and injury.

Take a look at RB for instance. Penny will probably start the year on PUP, Carson is coming off yet another season ending injury and is in a contract year....Prosise will leave, and Homer is actually a ST and backup COP back.

There are a large handful of RB's available in the draft that would step in immediately and help. Jonathon Taylor, Clde-Edwards Hellaire and Cam Akers jump out.

Same with O-Line. There are a bunch of very good OL in this draft, and some could be instant starters. When you consider that Ifedi and Fant will probably go elsewhere and Iupati will be 33 (and oft injured), Hunt is UFA, Britt coming off a bad ACL and his contract.....This would be a great time to snag a starter for years to come. They may be able to get C from Washington Nick Harris later on, or they may be able to snag Cesar Ruiz at #27 (if he lasts that far)

Seattle is overstocked at S and 2 of them I would like to see gone, and I'll bet you can guess who they are. There are some BAMF's in this drafts S group.

These are just musings, but I think this would be a good year to get player value out of this draft.

A lot depends on this F.A. period.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'll be surprised if John and Pete make their pick at #27. My guess is they will trade down into the top of Round 2 and draft Oline (Austin Jackson?) while adding a 3rd round pick to replace the one that we traded for Clowney.

kf3339

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":15tqbysz said:
I'll be surprised if John and Pete make their pick at #27. My guess is they will trade down into the top of Round 2 and draft Oline (Austin Jackson?) while adding a 3rd round pick to replace the one that we traded for Clowney.

That is their usual MO, so probably not far off. Not sure if you could get a 3rd going to the top of the 2nd round, but still not a bad idea. Personally I think a lot depends on how the FA period and re-signings shake out. We just have many questions that the next two weeks will answer.

kf3339

Reaction score
Largent80":1tsfs64c said:
To me, when I look at this draft and pick #27, I think this would be the year they don't even consider trading it and one of the reasons I say that is just so many good players will be available at positions the Hawks need, and their needs are many simply due to F.A. and injury.

Take a look at RB for instance. Penny will probably start the year on PUP, Carson is coming off yet another season ending injury and is in a contract year....Prosise will leave, and Homer is actually a ST and backup COP back.

There are a large handful of RB's available in the draft that would step in immediately and help. Jonathon Taylor, Clde-Edwards Hellaire and Cam Akers jump out.

Same with O-Line. There are a bunch of very good OL in this draft, and some could be instant starters. When you consider that Ifedi and Fant will probably go elsewhere and Iupati will be 33 (and oft injured), Hunt is UFA, Britt coming off a bad ACL and his contract.....This would be a great time to snag a starter for years to come. They may be able to get C from Washington Nick Harris later on, or they may be able to snag Cesar Ruiz at #27 (if he lasts that far)

Seattle is overstocked at S and 2 of them I would like to see gone, and I'll bet you can guess who they are. There are some BAMF's in this drafts S group.

These are just musings, but I think this would be a good year to get player value out of this draft.

A lot depends on this F.A. period.

^ Agree on FA.

I do like Taylor for RB, and an O-line if we don't trade down. Personally thinking more an OT as I do get the feeling Martin is in play later on day two. But please no S or CB right now. Focus on the O-Line first. A strong line will allow many RB's to shine. But Taylor would look really good!

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I think you are right about what we do in FA may dictate the draft. I am hoping they dont trade down and just take the best player for the position we need to fill. No projects...no offfirld issues...FA starts soon so it will be nice to talk about some new football stories again.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
As I said before, the needs of the Hawks and the players available at 27 are a match, this year more than ever. Getting a grip of 3rd round choices isn't going to do much for this team for the next 3 or 4 years. Get a player at 27 that will.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
With the comp picks though, I could see them trading back with 27, then using the comp pick and others to get into the 2nd or early 3rd rounds.

The players they want will be stretched out across late 1st and 2nd. This strategy might net them one more pick in that range, while taking the chance that those at 27 will be available in the 40s as well.

kf3339

Reaction score
Largent80":12aww090 said:
As I said before, the needs of the Hawks and the players available at 27 are a match, this year more than ever. Getting a grip of 3rd round choices isn't going to do much for this team for the next 3 or 4 years. Get a player at 27 that will.

There are some really good potential options at 27 this year. It would make sense to keep the pick and get a true impact player.

But there have been some really good potential impacts players in the mid/late first round that they passed and traded down nearly every year since 2013. They even traded pick 25 in 2013 for Harvin ( a known head case) when they could have held that pick and possibly gotten Hopkins 2 picks later that year. Could you have seen this team with Hopkins as a number 1 WR all these years? Of course, and there was a lot of talk about him coming out that year. That is just one example.

If you really look at all those trade downs and what the team has gotten with those picks verses keeping our pick this team may have a very different look and results these last years since the Super Bowl appearances. But they do focus on more picks in the middle to later rounds. That is why this team has so little impact players from the draft the last 5-6 years. They have had to trade for those guys. Not draft and teach them in-house.

So yes, we should keep the pick and get a really good potential difference maker. But I just don't think they see it that way.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Last year was a complete coup by JS. This year is different. We have cap AND picks. Unless they foolishly use their early picks on a DE .

This year, we can actually get someone at 27 that will have impact immediately and for years to come and CHEAP.

Plus we already have an additional 3rd from comps.

Please get rid of the mistakes in Hill and Thompson and get players at S that are BAMF's and get our defense stout again via the middle rounds (Dugger anyone)

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is the year we should trade back. Most NFL draft "experts" will tell you that it's rare for 32 picks to be 1st round talents. Sometimes it's only the first 15 or 20 players that have a 1st round grade.

That's why it pays to trade back, or even out of the 1st round. Plus, you can get a player of similar value in the 2nd round, but you don't have to pay them as much.

This year especially is the year to trade back. There are a lot of Offensive Tackles and Wide Receivers in this draft, and trading back can get us 2 of them, vs only 1.

The Edge players drop off after Chase Young, and the Defensive Tackles drop off after Derrick Brown and Javon Kinlaw. Every one of those players will be long gone by the time 27 rolls around.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
ivotuk":2tcfot2g said:
This is the year we should trade back. Most NFL draft "experts" will tell you that it's rare for 32 picks to be 1st round talents. Sometimes it's only the first 15 or 20 players that have a 1st round grade.

That's why it pays to trade back, or even out of the 1st round. Plus, you can get a player of similar value in the 2nd round, but you don't have to pay them as much.

This year especially is the year to trade back. There are a lot of Offensive Tackles and Wide Receivers in this draft, and trading back can get us 2 of them, vs only 1.

The Edge players drop off after Chase Young, and the Defensive Tackles drop off after Derrick Brown and Javon Kinlaw. Every one of those players will be long gone by the time 27 rolls around.

Agree to disagree. Time to TAKE ADVANTAGE of a true first round talent. McDowell wasn't either was Penny, this year is different. Do your homework on the draft class. This class extends through the entire first into the second, it's not a normal year for the last 8 Hawk drafts.

In my opening post I laid it out pretty simply. Needs=Picks=available=use it.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Largent80":3jg2bgk0 said:
ivotuk":3jg2bgk0 said:

Agree to disagree. Time to TAKE ADVANTAGE of a true first round talent. McDowell wasn't either was Penny, this year is different. Do your homework on the draft class. This class extends through the entire first into the second, it's not a normal year for the last 8 Hawk drafts.

If the first round extends into the second round as you say, then it makes perfect sense to trade back and perhaps gain additional picks. Take one guy at 27 who could be had in the second or trade back and get two guys who could go late first or second. Looks like a no brained to me.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I am really warming up to taking an RB now too.

So many good Olineman and WRs are going early, along with QBs ends and DTs.

There will be some really good RBs available.

LTH

Reaction score
Largent80":ldx3lxnu said:
ivotuk":ldx3lxnu said:

You guys know how it goes...the Hawks rate players differently so its really hard to tell who they like...traditional thinking is out the window. Do they trade out of 27? 50-50 chance ...

LTH

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Seems if the player is not there that they want, OR if who they want can be had at a lower pick they will keep trading down. Just seems how it goes.

When the picks are that low in the draft it seems to be a crap shoot anyway, Feel its why they have traded away so many picks for players that if drafted would earn a high draft grade. Same goes for the WTF picks we've grown accustomed to.

AgentDib

Reaction score
This logic seems backwards to me as well. Having several good options at #27 is a great reason to trade back, pick up some value, and then still take one of those good options at the top of the 2nd along with more talent later on from the trade. This strikes me as exactly the kind of draft where 2nd and 3rd round picks are the most valuable.

The reason to stay put (or even trade up) is if one player is falling who is significantly better than the alternatives and worth the additional capital to go get them. They could really like Chaisson, Epenesa or YGM and if one of those guys is still on the board they could view it as a huge drop-off after that. I could also see them staying put for Thomas, McKinney, or Delpit. In fact, a small bump up to #25 seems plausible this year given that Miami has a need for pass rush at #26 and Minnesota does not at #25.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
So are you saying if Jonathon Taylor is available at 27 you are going to trade back because he will be available then?...No NO and N O !!!!

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I'd like them to stop over thinking the 1st round picks. Keep the pick and select a good football player, not a reach/project/LJ Collier.

But, we all know how it's going to go. Same thing every draft.

I've seen enough of recent drafts to feel strongly that they should trade early picks for established players.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's very obvious now that Pete and John have been here 10 years that if they don't see a player that they see as a first round grade available to them at the bottom end of the 1st, they're going to trade down.

Honestly for as bad as we've been at picking where we're picking this year.......either bundle a couple picks and trade up if you see an impact player available in the early 20's, or trade down and grab another mid round pick.

kf3339

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":e80j8mkq said:
I'd like them to stop over thinking the 1st round picks. Keep the pick and select a good football player, not a reach/project/LJ Collier.

But, we all know how it's going to go. Same thing every draft.

I've seen enough of recent drafts to feel strongly that they should trade early picks for established players.

Considering how badly they have drafted early I can understand trading that 1st round pick every year for a strong vet. Only problem is that they did it twice (Harvin, Graham). One was a headcase, and the other they tried to turn into a blocking TE.

Latest posts