Offensive line ranking--#27

bileever

Reaction score
PFF ranks the Seahawk offensive line at #27, not at the very bottom as I would have expected, but in the bottom 6. But then there are the Jets and the Giants. The Cardinals, Titans and Panthers are also ranked below the Seahawks, so we are not in good company. And our pass blocking, according to PFF, is the fourth worst in the NFL, slightly worse than our pitiful run blocking. The line allowed pressures on two-thirds of Geno's drop backs last week. No one can win that way. By contrast, the Ravens are ranked #2, just below the Lions. (Even with the Lions' number 1 offensive line, they weren't able to score on the Ravens, either.)

Somewhat surprisngly, the 49ers rank 24th in )-line play, which might explain Brock Purdy's sudden difficulties.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Here's our individual rankings, along with the top player overall:

Center Evan Brown, 59.4, #24. Drew Dalman of the Falcons is ranked #1, Jason Kelce #2. Ethan Pocic is ranked #8.

Guard Anthony Bradford, 63.0, #32. Damien Lewis, 59.2, #41.Phil Haynes, 52.0, #61. Kevin Dotson of the Rams is ranked #1.

Tackle Stone Forsythe, 62.5, #41. Charles Cross, 58.3, #54. Jake Curhan, 55.7, #57. Christian Darrisaw of the Vikings is ranked #1.

Evan Brown's #24 ranking is a bit deceptive in that there's only one center vs. two guards and tackles.

94Smith

Reaction score
PFF ranks the Seahawk offensive line at #27, not at the very bottom as I would have expected, but in the bottom 6. But then there are the Jets and the Giants. The Cardinals, Titans and Panthers are also ranked below the Seahawks, so we are not in good company. And our pass blocking, according to PFF, is the fourth worst in the NFL, slightly worse than our pitiful run blocking. The line allowed pressures on two-thirds of Geno's drop backs last week. No one can win that way. By contrast, the Ravens are ranked #2, just below the Lions. (Even with the Lions' number 1 offensive line, they weren't able to score on the Ravens, either.)

Somewhat surprisngly, the 49ers rank 24th in )-line play, which might explain Brock Purdy's sudden difficulties.

49ers have traditionally ranked low in pass blocking by PFF. I believe they were ranked about there last year as well

OP
OP
bileever

bileever

Reaction score
49ers have traditionally ranked low in pass blocking by PFF. I believe they were ranked about there last year as well
Hmm, do you think that PFF ranking does not really grade the 49ers line accurately?

94Smith

Reaction score
Hmm, do you think that PFF ranking does not really grade the 49ers line accurately?
No I think both Garoppolo and Purdy had quick releases that masked a lot of issues. Purdy also can scramble well. They are not great pass blockers other than Trent Williams obviously. The RT McKivitz is terrible and the RG Burford is mediocre.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
The line has been hit and miss all season long, some of it because of injuries. A big culprit in our struggles imo. It's no surprise that the top teams in the league also have the top offensive lines in the league. (Minus the Browns who didn't have a QB)

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
I long for the day when we can put our O-line back together and play together for several games in a row.
Yup. But, not under current leadership. Ain’t happening … we sit and tolerate

olyfan63

Reaction score
Pocic is fortunate to play with 2 very good guards
And perhaps he's being used more to his strengths. Or simply has gotten bigger, stronger, better after multiple seasons in the NFL. Probably all of it, including the guards as you mentioned.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
While this Hawk's offensive line has been banged up since game 1 of this season, they were ranked as high as 12th best earlier this year, so the talent is sort of where it needs to be in several of the 5 positions.

Maybe cutting ties with a couple of starters that are "every year injured" would be a good idea. This line is never going to build any sort of real continuity that way, talented or not.

I believe we all know who those two starters (guards) are....

knownone

Reaction score
A good thought experiment is swapping Geno and Goff. They have similar strengths and weaknesses on paper. Both are below average under pressure. The only difference is Goff gets pressured on 12% of his dropbacks, while Geno is closer to 26%. I haven't checked this week, but I believe PFF has Goff as a top 3 QB and Geno between 16 and 10.

toffee

Reaction score
Always was good at center, though. Came back in 2021 and sprung one of the best rushing stretches the NFL has ever seen. He settled that whole line.

I detested how much crap he got.
At the time, I was surprise, heck, shocked that they let Pocic go. Then replaced him with with someone that our OL coach had previous experience with, What was his name? Blythe? Someone ran his mouth a lot on the sideline but couldn't make his plays do the talking.

toffee

Reaction score
Forsythe > Cross apparently
Before the draft, Cross was on most of my mocks, I was so happy that we drafted him!! Towards that end of last season, I started to question Cross' progress, as I couldn't see any. At that time, I started thread (first link below) questioning the performance of Cross. This season, he got hurt on first game, but I didn't see any progress since he came back from injury. So far, he played like a mediocre journeyman, I call him Mr. One yard. ie he always got pushed one yard too close to Geno,

Last edited: